Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Last of Us 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Last of Us  (Read 27596 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 05:52:49 AM

Correct, the moron doesn't know the historical relevance of Citizen Kane. We can move on from this. Now.

No. We can't move on, it's not bat country yet.

All this stuff makes me want to watch Citizen Kane... is it as good as Bioshock Infinite or Dynasty Warriors? I've never seen it before? Will it make me want to be a warrior in china?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 05:55:54 AM

I am not going to lie.  For once, I really want the critics to be right about this one, because I have really been looking forward to it.

No, you should be happy Polygon is wrong.

Now excuse me while I masturbate furiously to naked 2D women while I await for the coming of Agarest: Generations of War on Steam.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 06:15:30 AM

God, I hate gamer fanboys.

If the hive mind says that a game is crap and a few publications give it raving reviews they are all industry shills (yeah I'm sometimes guilty of that fallacy too), if the hive mind decided that a game - they haven't even played yet - is the Citizen Kane of gaming then publications that are giving it mixed reviews are haters, retarded and don't matter anyway.

A 7.5 OUT OF 10 IS STILL A GREAT REVIEW SCORE YOU STUPID FUCKS!

You can't complain about reviews being shit when you demand that everything either has to be a 10/10 or 0/10 depending whether you love or hate a game. For some even Citizen Kane is not the Citizen Kane of Citizen Kanes so it's entirely OK that not everybody likes it as much as you do.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 06:16:26 AM

You know what? They should make a game based on Citizen Kane. A third person shooter action RPG.  why so serious?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 06:18:04 AM

Don't read NeoGAF, thanks.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 06:25:04 AM

I am not going to lie.  For once, I really want the critics to be right about this one, because I have really been looking forward to it.

I'm with you on this, I really want this game to be good and right now it is pretty much the only game that I am itching to get my hands on.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 06:51:40 AM

So I spent a stupid amount of time to uncover the entirely shocking news that Day 1 review scores are positively biased, with 1 in 6 Day 1 review score averages being significantly higher than the average of the subsequent review scores. Only around 1 in 50 Day 1 review score averages are significantly lower than the average subsequent review scores.

There will be more, all equally quibbleable.

My quibble is that quibbleable isn't a real word.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 08:18:27 AM

Don't be so grammarably strict.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 08:41:58 AM

Not in the bizarro world of video games journalism (and for that matter the video game industry) where Metacritic scores determine payouts to fucking developers.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 09:09:12 AM

I know!

It's because of stupid fucks like them that it is like that.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 09:19:10 AM

So has anyone actually played this or is this thread only about the reviews?

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #46 on: June 06, 2013, 09:27:59 AM

There was a demo included on something.  But yah, it's all responses to the reviews at this point.  It releases next Friday (WHY NOT TUESDAY?).

My quibble is that quibbleable isn't a real word.

It should be.  It looks awesome.

7.5 is not a good review. It's not necessarily a bad one either.  Actually reading a review or paying attention to what is being said it more important that just blindly staring a score.  Hell, even Adam Sessler's 5 star rating contained a far amount criticism for the game.

Gamespot only gave this an 8 as well, which was the same score they gave to the first Uncharted.  In comparison, Uncharted 2 got a 95 and 3 got a 90.  However, the reviewer is McShea, and that guy is kind of a goober.  He seems to be their reviewer for Naughty Dog games.   Gamespot's scores are just weird sometimes (ie they gave Deus Ex: IW an 8, a whole .1 less than they gave the first Deus Ex).   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:37:19 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #47 on: June 06, 2013, 10:28:47 AM

It releases next Friday (WHY NOT TUESDAY?).

Because movies release on Friday?  why so serious?

Seriously, I have no idea, that's just odd.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 06, 2013, 11:33:32 AM

God, I hate gamer fanboys.

If the hive mind says that a game is crap and a few publications give it raving reviews they are all industry shills (yeah I'm sometimes guilty of that fallacy too), if the hive mind decided that a game - they haven't even played yet - is the Citizen Kane of gaming then publications that are giving it mixed reviews are haters, retarded and don't matter anyway.

You can't complain about reviews being shit when you demand that everything either has to be a 10/10 or 0/10 depending whether you love or hate a game. For some even Citizen Kane is not the Citizen Kane of Citizen Kanes so it's entirely OK that not everybody likes it as much as you do.
Thus spaketh The Magazine Of Champions
"And lo it shall pass that the reviewer can't get off level one.

And he shall not care for the game, or want to play it for more than 20 minutes.

But lo, he shall be fearful of the software company dropping advertising, and missing him off the free crate of beer list at Christmas, and he shall tremble and quake mightily as all rival mags have given it a high score.

So he shall give it a score low enough to dissuade potential buyers, yet high enough to pacify the software people.

And that score shall be the NUMBER OF THE BEAST, and it shall be 73 per cent."
Near enough to 7.5

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 06, 2013, 01:00:41 PM

I dunno why  Neogaf gets the hatred - it has a lot of decent stuff on it amidst the morons. Maybe the moron to normal person ratio is slightly higher than say penny-arcade but you get the same type of idiots on all forums.

Re the game - Polygon is worth mocking simply because of their awful track record. They gave SimCity a review that was toe-curling ly sycophantic (disgustingly so), and they were originally set up with help from Microsft and then give an exclusive MS competitor's game a far lower than average score.

Polygon, like Tom Chick, simply are not to be trusted on interviews at all.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 06, 2013, 01:33:04 PM

The thing about reviews and scores is that many people fundamentally don't understand how they are supposed to work.

If you play a game and don't like it you should give it a low score. Whereas many people think you should instead predict whether other reviewers will like it and assign a score that aligns with the projected average. Which means that you aren't reviewing the game at all, you are simply predicting the score based on a loose consensus around what an "objectively good" game looks like. In this case an outlying score is "wrong."

Neogaf review-score whining is hilarious. Without fail if a hyped game gets an 8 or below there will be a hundred page thread about it, in which people alternate claims that they don't care about the score with freak-outs over the score.

As far as guys like Tom Chick - I don't find his reviews useful and as a freelancer he was often brought in to savage a game. But because I understand his viewpoint I can safely ignore his reviews - they do me no harm. And they are useful to people who share his tastes, so I don't see what the problem is. The least useful reviews are those with no internal consistency or discernible viewpoint.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:35:47 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 01:36:44 PM

I don't agree with that sort of behavior (the neogaf sort). However, when a good game gets below 8, it basically means it was shit. Gaming reviews only really go from 7 to 10. We've only been over this about 400 TIMES on f13 already.
schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: June 06, 2013, 01:37:02 PM

Also, no one shares gaming taste with Tom Chick. The "people" that do are inhabitants of a plane that can't be seen with the naked eye. You need a puzzle box from the isle of Glorthos to communicate with them.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 06, 2013, 01:40:47 PM

My issue with Tom Chick isn't his shock reviews that slam big games - that's his thing, its what he does, you just ignore it. What I dislike is how some games get reviews that are far far better than they should be (his Bioshock 2 stuff was appalling), and how companies like Stardock seem to get a freer pass from the guy than say Civ 5. Slam civ 5 all you want but he never went after Stardock for putting out an unbelieveably broken shit game.

And yes, I think that the whining over scores is insanely wierd (and a bit funny). Uncharted 3 getting an 8, skyward sword a 7 and the world seems to end.

People shouldn't take reviews so seriously. I remember starcraft getting 8s across the board and being critisiced by the gaming press for not being innovative enough. Ignoring the fact it was the best single and multi-player RTS there's ever been even to this day.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 06, 2013, 01:42:10 PM

Also, no one shares gaming taste with Tom Chick. The "people" that do are inhabitants of a plane that can't be seen with the naked eye. You need a puzzle box from the isle of Glorthos to communicate with them.

Heh, it's been a while since someone made me honestly laugh out loud with a post.

I think sometimes he's okay, when discussing smaller games and the like. Sometimes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #55 on: June 06, 2013, 01:47:22 PM

This is honestly why we trust people more on this forum, and why we should have our own metric that's not a score.

Perhaps a color system?

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 06, 2013, 01:48:43 PM

Various gradients of brown.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #57 on: June 06, 2013, 01:49:09 PM

My issue with Tom Chick isn't his shock reviews that slam big games - that's his thing, its what he does, you just ignore it. What I dislike is how some games get reviews that are far far better than they should be (his Bioshock 2 stuff was appalling), and how companies like Stardock seem to get a freer pass from the guy than say Civ 5. Slam civ 5 all you want but he never went after Stardock for putting out an unbelieveably broken shit game.

Well of course not, Brad Wardell is his buddy who posts on his forum. Objectivity? What's that?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 06, 2013, 01:52:09 PM

Bitching about reviews scores that are consistently too high or too low for a certain game is different than bitching about a couple outlying scores.

Outliers should be expected and encouraged - a system without outliers is most likely fundamentally broken. Outlying scores are indicators of critical diversity and subjective rather than faux-objective reviews - both good things. It's nobodies job to try to peg the mean.

Personally I have little interest in TLOU, will most likely never play it, and I assume if I did play it I wouldn't enjoy it very much. That view is not the majority opinion and the majority of review scores don't reflect it - but it is a valid minority opinion (well...presuming I had played the game and thought similarly) that at least some review scores should reflect. We generally don't expect critics in other mediums to review based on how they expect other critics or the public to react.

Especially now with Metacritic there's no need to try hit the average - if you want an average review score you can simply go to Metacritic. If you want a personal score from an individual you read individual reviews. It serves nobody for those to be the same.

Perhaps a color system?

Unskippable overlong cutscene alert status: orange.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:53:41 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #59 on: June 06, 2013, 01:55:21 PM

The redesign of f13 will have a system. If it's on our frontpage and its in a genre you like, it means it is probably worth playing.

I expect f13 to get less than 20 reviews a year because of this.

I think this is best for the industry.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 06, 2013, 03:08:54 PM

You want me to play less than 20 new games a year?  ACK!

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 07, 2013, 04:33:22 AM

So with the new redesign, when our frontpage goes a year or more without being updated you can blame the game industry?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #62 on: June 07, 2013, 06:24:32 AM

So with the new redesign, when our frontpage goes a year or more without being updated you can blame the game industry?

I think we should at least keep a list of games we rejected. I mean otherwise it's just a nebulous grey area of what did and didn't get a look.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #63 on: June 07, 2013, 06:47:20 AM

I think we should at least keep a list of games we rejected. I mean otherwise it's just a nebulous grey area of what did and didn't get a look.

Have you seriously forgotten how many games Schild is capable of playing in a year? Do we need to see another screen shot of his steam library. Worrying that something great was completely ignored is like when I used to try to watch the first four episodes of every single anime each season in case one was a hidden gem when I was a teen. That was fucking stupid.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #64 on: June 07, 2013, 06:49:22 AM

You misunderstand. I want the list more as a acknowledgement of the process, and to point out how horrible flawed the gaming industry can be with the weight of the list, not as a preventative measure of missing something.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #65 on: June 15, 2013, 05:01:05 AM

A couple hours in so far. All the hyperbole in the reviews now makes it hard to give this game praise it actually deserves, but I am thoroughly enjoying it so far. Also surprised the guy who does the voice acting for the main character is the same one who voiced Booker Dewitt in Bioshock Infinite. I thought his voice work was ok in Infinite but nothing special so I had to think for a few minutes why it seemed to be of a better quality in Last of Us. I suppose it's just because between the character design and the writing Joel seems like a more fleshed out person in my short amount of time playing than Booker did through the entirety of Infinite.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #66 on: June 15, 2013, 03:16:05 PM

I'm a little bit further in now, but haven't had a lot of time to play due to work. Also I tend to play shorter sessions with games like this that have a lot of tension since I end up feeling drained quicker. Gameplay-wise it seems to be a mix of stealth and survival horror. Ammo and supplies are fairly limited but so far most encounters are set up in a way where you can divide and conquer most groups of enemies without using weapons. I would expect this to change a bit later on as there is already one enemy that is immune to weaponless stealth takedowns and wouldn't be surprised to see more introduced later. Also due to super fast reload times, if you're feel you're taking too much damage or using too much ammo, it's fairly trivial to restart an encounter in order to try to do better.

If you play conservatively (frequently reloading and conserving on supplies and ammo) I might recommend Hard difficulty, although again this is based on my early impressions. So far I haven't been in danger of running out of ammo or health kits and most encounters you'll either get through almost without a scratch, or you'll mess up so badly you'll get torn apart or riddled with bullets.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 15, 2013, 09:40:00 PM

I'm a little bit further in now, but haven't had a lot of time to play due to work. Also I tend to play shorter sessions with games like this that have a lot of tension since I end up feeling drained quicker. Gameplay-wise it seems to be a mix of stealth and survival horror. Ammo and supplies are fairly limited but so far most encounters are set up in a way where you can divide and conquer most groups of enemies without using weapons. I would expect this to change a bit later on as there is already one enemy that is immune to weaponless stealth takedowns and wouldn't be surprised to see more introduced later. Also due to super fast reload times, if you're feel you're taking too much damage or using too much ammo, it's fairly trivial to restart an encounter in order to try to do better.

If you play conservatively (frequently reloading and conserving on supplies and ammo) I might recommend Hard difficulty, although again this is based on my early impressions. So far I haven't been in danger of running out of ammo or health kits and most encounters you'll either get through almost without a scratch, or you'll mess up so badly you'll get torn apart or riddled with bullets.

I have completed the game.  I won't give any spoilers.  Don't look to this game to give you great choices or nonlinear gameplay.  Choice is absent, your lead around by the nose and its very linear.  The part about ammo becomes really frustrating towards the end as you seem to find ammo all the time for the weapons your already full on.  There is some really neat moments in this game.  There is one part where you trigger a trap which was really very intense.  I won't spoil it but that was the first moment since the unreal elevator scene that really impressed me in a FPS.    The character voice acting I think was top notch.  As you progress you find some other friendlier survivors.  Their actors did a great job as well.

Its a good game but there are some problems.  I played the PS3 version, and some of the cut scenes weren't finished.  There were some death scenes for instance where you would see two colored (top and bottom) "green screens" and the characters going through their animations.  I hated some parts of the level design.  I won't go into that yet (not wanting to give spoilers), but there are some areas and sequences that I found misleading and frustrating.  Lastly Ellie... I keep going back and forth on her implimentation.  On one hand some of the things she does is annoying such as expose you when your trying to sneak by taking the angle you want.  On the other hand, she is a kid and it seems fairly realistic that kids would do that placed in that situation.  

On the whole not a bad game at all.  I enjoyed it thoroughly.  Glad I rented it though because like Bioshock Inifinity, I have no desire to replay it at all.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:03:14 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #68 on: June 16, 2013, 12:49:23 AM

I played the PS3 version, and some of the cut scenes weren't finished.
Naughty Dog is owned by Sony. This game, like the Uncharted series before it, is a PS3 exclusive.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 16, 2013, 06:45:47 AM

Naughty Dog is owned by Sony. This game, like the Uncharted series before it, is a PS3 exclusive.

That is very... interesting.  I am primarily a PC gamer and other than Heavy Rain, I don't remember playing any other PS3 exclusives (I have never played any of the Uncharted games).   While TLoU is as I said before a decent game, I would have thought that Sony would have made more of an effort on this title.  A bit more choice would have been an obvious way to improve the game.  That being said I guess now some of the rave reviews makes a bit more sense.  Lets give it a few more days, lets give people a bit more time to finish it, and then I would love to talk some specifics on the title.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Last of Us  
Jump to: