Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:30:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382189 times)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #840 on: June 20, 2015, 09:31:38 PM

So, let me get this straight. Instead of doing the normal MMO thing and allowing people in the expansion zones right away (as long as you're max level or close) with a possible 'fast track' through vanilla content to get everyone caught up and playing the expansion, you actually have to go through the entire story (including the fetch-quest heavy stuff they added in patches as well as a whole lot of dungeons) and progress your gear using the same old currencies until you're finally past the attunement / gating?

All that can easily take a month of play, or more. How are the "I left this game x years ago with a non-endgame character and bought the expansion to see its content" people reacting? Does this also apply to the new classes?!

edit: It seems there's a gear catch-up mechanism at least.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 09:48:17 PM by Zetor »

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: June 21, 2015, 04:17:38 PM

You cannot unlock the new classes without access to the city in the expansion, so you cannot even play those until you progress through the old story.

Also the new classes begin at level 30.

Also the main story quests you get starting at level 50 now give higher-end gear, which means you'll reach the gear item level without having to run a bunch of random dungeons to get geared.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 04:53:37 PM by koro »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #842 on: June 21, 2015, 05:27:56 PM

It's Square. What else would you expect? They are still on a monthly sub and have to milk that for what it's worth. It's a Japanese grinder, plain and simple.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #843 on: June 22, 2015, 12:35:02 PM

It's Square. What else would you expect? They are still on a monthly sub and have to milk that for what it's worth. It's a Japanese grinder, plain and simple.

This is true but it is fun for a while.  I played for a few months and liked it until it made me cranky and tired.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: June 22, 2015, 02:09:02 PM

This is true but it is fun for a while.  I played for a few months and liked it until it made me cranky and tired.

Exactly the same reaction. 50 Scholar and I just got frustrated with stuff. Nothing specific though. Loved the setting and the feel and the look of the game. Even played well, but it was a shell of FFXI.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #845 on: June 22, 2015, 02:12:01 PM

Downloading the Free Trial; never played a FF game (including FFXI), don't know anything about the setting. This will be interesting  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #846 on: July 03, 2015, 10:26:13 PM

Every single goddamn voice is now British.  Yugiri's is some sort of weird whatever, but everyone sounds like they've been ripped from a theatrical production of Harry Potter.  It's grating.

New content is nice, but this is just strange.  I have no idea why they would do this.  Well other than, "this was cheaper".
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:30:42 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #847 on: July 03, 2015, 10:41:17 PM

So that means that every single character is now a bad guy?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: July 04, 2015, 08:21:26 AM

Every single goddamn voice is now British.  Yugiri's is some sort of weird whatever, but everyone sounds like they've been ripped from a theatrical production of Harry Potter.  It's grating.

New content is nice, but this is just strange.  I have no idea why they would do this.  Well other than, "this was cheaper".
It's like Borderlands: The Pre-sequel where everyone's Australian because reasons. swamp poop

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: July 04, 2015, 01:31:07 PM

I imagine it was less cost-related and more related to scheduling with the ARR voice actors. From what I understand, most everything pre-Heavensward was recorded back when 2.0 was still in development, and it wasn't until the expac was in development did new stuff need to be recorded.

Some of the VAs are still the same, and a couple are still the same, but with different voice direction.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #850 on: July 04, 2015, 05:37:06 PM

I'm trying to play this with friends and while it's pretty okay in dungeons the leveling experience is fucking dreadful.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #851 on: July 04, 2015, 08:56:12 PM

Once you hit 14/15, you should probably just level through dungeons and do the story quest line just for the unlocks.  Relatively few unlocks are outside of it. 

There's some rough patches in the story, I won't lie.  You're part God slayer, part errand runner.

-Rasix
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: July 06, 2015, 02:22:39 PM

Square Enix is suspending sales of the Mac version and offering refunds to those who want them.  Apparently a lot of hipsters were having problems running it on their 8 year old Macs or couldn't get it going at all. Facepalm

Seriously, unless you want to just keep playing Bejeweled, Farmville, Angry Birds or some random indie 16 bit platformer, get a PC FFS.  PC Master Race 4Life. Rock Out

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/244811-NA-The-state-of-the-FFXIV-Mac-version-and-our-plans-for-the-future?p=3101723#post3101723

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #853 on: October 20, 2017, 12:26:41 PM

Necro!

First of all, this game has something like 10 million active subscriptions, trying as much as possible to prove that very traditional MMORPGs (tab targeting, slow global cooldown, not free to play) are far from being dead.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-14-crosses-10-million-players/1100-6452413/

But the latest news is about a recent expansion which added instanced housing that still comes in limited supplies (!), and since we have been talking to Raph an UO lately I can't help but feel that it's 1997 land rush all over again! I'm loving it!

https://www.vg247.com/2017/10/19/youre-960th-in-queue-final-fantasy-14s-shirogane-housing-is-a-disaster/

As I set out to grab my own plot in the new Shirogane district, those queues made for one of the reasons I was unable to meet the mad rush into the server. When you know there’s only 720 plots available and your game launches with “you’re 960th in queue,” it’s over.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: October 20, 2017, 12:57:06 PM

I could care less about player housing. It's nothing but total fluff to me.

But congrats to them on outpacing WoW. It's well deserved, and one of the only mulligans in MMOs to actually be successful. I should come back for 4.1, since I gave up on Destiny 2 for now.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #855 on: October 20, 2017, 01:01:45 PM

Well, I could agree with you but the reality is that MMORPGs are ALL about the fluff. There is not a single thing that isn't fluff in MMORPGs.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: October 20, 2017, 01:10:53 PM

I suppose. I can understand limiting guild housing for the semi-serious to serious guilds that are involved with the game, as that makes them special and adds a return for their involvement in the game. I don't understand the limitation on apartment housing for individual players. Didn't everyone just get a free customizable apartment in FF XI? Aside from having to actually save and store the data, what the difference between the four-walled instanced area I get put in when I (if ever) check into a town inn and going to a four-walled instanced apartment?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: October 20, 2017, 07:32:00 PM

I could care less about player housing. It's nothing but total fluff to me.

But congrats to them on outpacing WoW. It's well deserved, and one of the only mulligans in MMOs to actually be successful. I should come back for 4.1, since I gave up on Destiny 2 for now.
I don't think they've passed WoW; the 10 million figure is total accounts, of which WoW has over 100m.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: October 20, 2017, 11:20:59 PM

I suppose. I can understand limiting guild housing for the semi-serious to serious guilds that are involved with the game, as that makes them special and adds a return for their involvement in the game. I don't understand the limitation on apartment housing for individual players. Didn't everyone just get a free customizable apartment in FF XI? Aside from having to actually save and store the data, what the difference between the four-walled instanced area I get put in when I (if ever) check into a town inn and going to a four-walled instanced apartment?

Everyone can buy an instanced apartment nowadays, those are not limited. It's the (land) plots where you can build an actual house that are limited.

for example (my house on a land plot):
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: October 21, 2017, 03:28:49 PM

Instanced apartments are absolutely limited in number. It's a much higher number, but they're still very limited and on pretty much any decently populated server, every apartment is spoken for.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: October 21, 2017, 10:01:25 PM

Instanced apartments are absolutely limited in number. It's a much higher number, but they're still very limited and on pretty much any decently populated server, every apartment is spoken for.

My bad. I must have mixed them with the instanced housing in the FC mansions. It also seems that at least Hyperion (which is not the most populated server) has lots of room in the apartments at Shirogane.
grunk
Terracotta Army

This poster is a gibbering retard. Also, he used to post from a rehab clinic.

Reply #861 on: December 13, 2017, 10:44:20 AM

this game is such a fucken turd, the fact that there is no real job system or depth... in fact, all mmos have been so bad i think im going home.. back to FFXI.
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: December 13, 2017, 10:53:22 AM

this game is such a fucken turd, the fact that there is no real job system or depth... in fact, all mmos have been so bad i think im going home.. back to FFXI.

Asura is the most active NA server from what I hear.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #863 on: December 14, 2017, 08:16:06 AM

I have my "dumbass who measures his life's worth by how rare loot is" decoder right here...

Translation:  This game is too easy.  People get stuff that I do, so how can I lord it over them.  I'm going back to a game where only .01% even see the last half of the game, as God intended.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #864 on: December 19, 2017, 11:19:32 AM

So, no matter my above post fom 2 years ago, I've only been playing this game for a week. I purchased the basic edition because, what the hell, a big chunk of the game coming with a 30 days subscription for only $9.99...why not.

I can only talk about my initial leveling experience (which is now accelerated below lv 60, and I dislike XP boosts I can't toggle off) with a pugilist, who is now lv 18.

There is a lot of stuff to do, big city hub is not confusing, but I really don't like the fact that the crafting teachers are spread among the big cities (I really would like to start leatherworking but I'm still stuck in the zones outside Ul'dah. Being able to potentially learn everything and instantly switch between professions is interesting, but of course I still have to experience that to its full potential.
---

Now, I never played a FF game, so I'm not into the world, characters lore or anything, but I'm finding the leveling experience very, VERY dull (I'm more of a roleplaying/leveling/alt guy rather than an endgame fanatic). I guess it inevitably comes to a matter of personal taste, but in the very recent past I played (and still playing):

- ESO
- LOTRO
- EQ2

All three are better than FFXIV when it comes, at least, to the early leveling experience. Yes, even nowadays EQ2, IMO. Anyway, I'll keep playing (because, like I said, the overall experience is undoubtedly very smooth and organized) and see if it gets better.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #865 on: December 19, 2017, 11:27:08 AM

Unless you like/need crafting, forget about it. Focus on leveling a class/job and enjoy the single-player story. You can always come back and do crafting when you've unlocked "all the things", which makes crafting easier anyways.

In regards to the story, yes, it's dull at first; coming off the huge-ass mulligan they did from version 1 was hard. I can affirm that it gets better, esp. once you get to the end. The Heavensward and Stormblood story lines are much more refined and fleshed out.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:32:42 AM by luckton »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: December 19, 2017, 11:36:05 AM

At launch, the single player story was fucking awful and forever taking. Constant running back and forth fedex quest bullshit mixed with dumb cutscenes, all of which gated major gameplay systems. Combined with slow combat and slow movement speed, it made me never want to roll an alt.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #867 on: December 21, 2017, 10:37:31 AM

I have been wanting to love this game since launch and then relaunch. I have put money into it twice (for me and my partner), I installed and uninstalled and reinstalled about four times in different years, and I still cannot enjoy it. Say what you want but Grunk is right in my opinion especially because this is the successor of a specific game and that inevitably carries some expectations along with the distinctive traits of that game. Sure, the MMORPG landscape has changed but the result is, in my unpopular opinion, such a watered down and dull experience that managed to bring me back to it over and over simply because of the wonderful graphics, visuals, musics and all that the world has to offer from an aesthetic point of view.

MMORPGs have been mostly a solo experience for a long time now, but in the case of Final Fantasy this is even more disappointing. I am not asking for punishment, I am not asking for an insanely slow level grind, but to see games like Final Fantasy XIV and EQ2 transformed into clicker games where all you have to do is fedex left and right as fast and efficiently as you can to eventually get to the fun or the parts where you HAVE to group is boring and dull as hell to me.

I understand that FF14 requires grouping later on, but I just can't get to that later on. As I said, I tried so many times including a month ago. I always stop around level 18 - 23. The leveling is SO INCREDIBLY DULL. The old style combat could be great if the game posed  some sort of an old style challenge. When you pretty much kill everything super easily for 20+ levels, absolutely by yourself, but have to do it at 1 mph, I have to give up.

After the golden years, MMORPGs started to have a hard time convincing people that needing to play with other people was fun, so they switched to solo experiences in a shared universe and locked only bits under the grouping wall. Realizing that was becoming pretty tedious and losing the novely effect a lot of companies started to put the fun in the combat itself. Since you had to do the same thing over and over for weeks, the least they could do was to make it flashy. But FF14 forgot to add that part. They wanted to look and feel similar to the old school days in many departments, and just left us with this incredibly tedious SOLO and slo-mo leveling experience.

I understand there is a lot to like in FF14 and I have tried so many times to get to that part. This just does not work for me cause it creates a clear dissonance between what I am brought to believe/hope/wish (a modernized Old School experience, a 2010s version of EQ and FF11) and what it actually is (a slower, Japanese take on WoW).

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #868 on: December 21, 2017, 10:42:52 AM

I forgot to mention. Itemization in the first 20 levels is the least interesting in the history of MMORPG.s That didn't exactly propels the fun or the desire to grow for me.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #869 on: January 07, 2018, 06:48:06 AM

I agree with a lot of your analysis, but for me the thing that finally wore me down to a nubbin was the awfully lazy quest writing. Not the story writing, which is anywhere from bad to great, but the quests themselves are at first hilariously stupid and then once the joke wears off, an indicator of the condescension the writers have for their player base. Having you fetch a glass of milk for someone right next to the purveyor of milk is fine as a gag quest, but they use it as a dang model, and its just pure filler. I don't know why they do this, or how it even goes unnoticed by the creator himself, since its clear he loves his franchise, but its like they're terrified players are going to tire of their game the moment the story is over so they stuff their story with pointless humiliating quests. So ya, fuck this game.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #870 on: January 19, 2018, 09:30:18 AM

4.2 trailer

Looks like a raid in the vein of FFVI is coming. Would be fantastic if the Phantom Train is suplexable.  awesome, for real

Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #871 on: January 20, 2018, 09:37:27 AM

The ultimate fix would be to allow alts to skip the MSQ once you bring one character through it.  However, changing your appearance (which is essentially what an alt is, especially in a game where one character can be all the classes) and skipping MSQ are cash shop items.  Cash shop in a sub game lol.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: January 20, 2018, 02:31:30 PM

The ultimate fix would be to allow alts to skip the MSQ once you bring one character through it.  However, changing your appearance (which is essentially what an alt is, especially in a game where one character can be all the classes) and skipping MSQ are cash shop items.  Cash shop in a sub game lol.

Well, yeah. Honestly I don't know why one would need an alt in this game. Probably why they have a cheaper sub price if you just roll one toon.

Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #873 on: January 21, 2018, 11:39:39 AM

Well, yeah. Honestly I don't know why one would need an alt in this game. Probably why they have a cheaper sub price if you just roll one toon.

Appearance is a big thing to many.  And of course, to many it's not.  Fantasia is in the cash shop because people buy it.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #874 on: February 25, 2018, 05:09:04 PM

Well, if anyone is still playing and happens to be on Faerie, feel free to look me up or send a tell.  I'm this name, of course.

Right now, I'm still enjoying the game, although I'm also trying to get through the ARR quests so I can open up Heavensward finally.  Level 55 and I haven't started any other jobs yet, but I'm sure I will eventually.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: