Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 03:39:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 115748 times)
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #910 on: August 10, 2018, 12:51:47 PM

How do you store all the equipment for so many high level jobs? Have they loosened on that in the last few years?

That's my struggle right now - inventory space.  I have a lot of gear sitting on my two retainers and my personal inventory is pretty full right now, too.  For now, I've been passing on gear that I don't have a class/job for (mainly warrior/monk/rogues atm) and a lot of stuff can be used by a type rather than being job specific - so WHM/AST/CNJ/SCH can all use the same gear more or less, so it makes it easy to keep and share.  The individual slots in the armor inventory go up to 35 for each slot but even with that I have trouble.  I basically just told myself that if it wasn't pink/green/blue and/or untradeable, then I was going to either sell it or convert it to materia if I could.  For classes leveling up, I'd either use what I had if I could, or buy gear.  *shrug*  There's no other way to do it, IMO.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #911 on: September 03, 2018, 08:40:03 AM

In more news no one cares about, I got my SAM to 70, my RDM is 61, and my AST is 41. It's crazy easy to level a healer but I need to get to 50 to really takes advantage of the roulettes. I'd level even faster on a tank but refuse to play one right now so the DRK is only 35. I haven't been on my DRG (41) or MCH (30) in a while, since they can only do class quests or the leveling roulette at this time.  Part of me feels like I'm behind on things since FC mates are doing Pagos but I haven't even opened that area yet. And part of me is happy to just do my own thing when I feel like it, no pressure.

I solved my inventory space issues by getting rid of all gear under level 50. That's the level when the item level takes a huge jump so anything under that isn't worth storing. I'll just buy any gear I need until then.

I finally got my squadron up in level enough to do command quests with them, meaning I can use NPCs to fill out a party. That's how I leveled the DRK a bit. It's a neat game mechanic actually, just takes some time sending them off on missions (18 hours to complete) or doing skill training (1 hour to complete).

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #912 on: September 03, 2018, 09:04:25 AM

I downloaded this as a free trial on PS4. Hoping that learning to use the controller won't take too long to 'get.' I messed around with a controller on FFXI since technically that was a port, but the keyboard was much quicker with hotkeys rather than menu scrolling - however, the slower pace of FFXI didn't put menu scrolling that far as a disadvantage.

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #913 on: September 04, 2018, 09:55:11 AM

That I can't help with, I play on PC.  I know a few friends who play on console but no idea how they manage it.

What server/world did you end up on?  I'm on Faerie under this same name, if you end up converting to the full game (trial locks you down pretty hard).

Terracotta Army

Reply #914 on: September 04, 2018, 11:30:07 AM

That I can't help with, I play on PC.  I know a few friends who play on console but no idea how they manage it.

What server/world did you end up on?  I'm on Faerie under this same name, if you end up converting to the full game (trial locks you down pretty hard).

Jenova I believe.

I had the game long ago prior to Heavensward on PC and liked it for the most part - just not enough to keep at it with the monthly sub. I played a little so far and the controller is not terrible, with the hotkeys and such but it is definitely going to take a hot minute to find a rhythm.

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #915 on: September 05, 2018, 09:32:50 AM

Two of the fastest, most responsive healers I played with both used controllers because it was faster for them than the keyboard.  Strictly anecdotal, but I couldn't even come close to being as fast as they were.  Obviously it comes with practice and proper mapping of abilities to keys for optimal use, but the controller isn't a problem for this game.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #916 on: September 13, 2018, 10:24:11 AM

Sometimes the class quests are the most frustrating things around.  I am having a bitch of a time getting past the level 60 RDM quest and I keep failing.  I just leveled to 63 last night, so I'm over the quest level as it is and my gear is all level 60 stuff, but I'm just not putting out enough damage to take the enemy NPC down quickly and/or keep myself and the stupid partner NPC alive.  Ugh.

OTOH, I do enjoy playing RDM a fair amount.

Terracotta Army

Reply #917 on: September 13, 2018, 12:29:14 PM

Sometimes the class quests are the most frustrating things around.  I am having a bitch of a time getting past the level 60 RDM quest and I keep failing.  I just leveled to 63 last night, so I'm over the quest level as it is and my gear is all level 60 stuff, but I'm just not putting out enough damage to take the enemy NPC down quickly and/or keep myself and the stupid partner NPC alive.  Ugh.

OTOH, I do enjoy playing RDM a fair amount.

I miss my FFXI red mage...

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #918 on: September 20, 2018, 03:10:31 PM

Is that a Miqo'te or however it's spelled?  The nose looks a bit weird.

Patch 4.4 went in on Monday and I finally had a chance to update and log in last night.  It's been a while since I've played around a major patch day but even 15+ years down the line, I'm still amazed at how quickly the hardcore will churn through content.  I don't know how many additional MSQ quests were added but apparently there are people already done with them.  I'm still poking around trying to avoid using my level 70 chars to do level 68 content, which I freely admit is silly, but in the meantime, I level other jobs.

Terracotta Army

Reply #919 on: September 20, 2018, 03:47:54 PM

Is that a Miqo'te or however it's spelled?  The nose looks a bit weird.

Patch 4.4 went in on Monday and I finally had a chance to update and log in last night.  It's been a while since I've played around a major patch day but even 15+ years down the line, I'm still amazed at how quickly the hardcore will churn through content.  I don't know how many additional MSQ quests were added but apparently there are people already done with them.  I'm still poking around trying to avoid using my level 70 chars to do level 68 content, which I freely admit is silly, but in the meantime, I level other jobs.

In FFXI, those were mithra and were only female. But yeah, that is the 14 equivalent

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #920 on: October 01, 2018, 10:52:11 AM

Well, finally finished the Main Stormblood expansion MSQ and that was an interesting ending.  Had two of my FC members help me out with the final instance and trial.  Now I only have 3 major patches worth of MSQ to and I'll be all caught up on that. 

Also pushed my AST to almost 50 by doing leveling roulettes.  It's almost pathetically easy to level a healer and get into roulettes, only surpassed by how easy it would be to level a tank (since they are always in demand).  Frankly, I just want to get that class into some decent gear.  Level 50 is a huge jump in item level for all jobs.

Terracotta Army

Reply #921 on: October 01, 2018, 11:41:35 AM

Well, finally finished the Main Stormblood expansion MSQ and that was an interesting ending.  Had two of my FC members help me out with the final instance and trial.  Now I only have 3 major patches worth of MSQ to and I'll be all caught up on that. 

Also pushed my AST to almost 50 by doing leveling roulettes.  It's almost pathetically easy to level a healer and get into roulettes, only surpassed by how easy it would be to level a tank (since they are always in demand).  Frankly, I just want to get that class into some decent gear.  Level 50 is a huge jump in item level for all jobs.

Neat. I'm closing in on Garuda in the ARR MSQ. Not sure if I want to continue taking the MSQ as WHM or RDM. unlock RDM and really enjoying it more than I thought. Still figuring out the muscle memory on the switching from casting to jumping in for melee then jumping out. More I play it though... more natural it is starting to feel.

Completely embarrassed myself in a PUG in a roulette dungeon - one that I have done before but 4 years ago and forgot all the mechanics. We got through it but I was screwing up the healing left and right - the one dps kept dying and I kept screwing up casting cure 3 instead of 2 and Holy which I was not aware was a point-blank spell. My group was not happy...but the perks of being a WHM/healer, they put up with it. I did feel bad about it though. Otherwise, I love the WHM cleric's armor look (even in FFXI). But RDM has the hat...

So we'll see if I want to switch over... I'll miss the instant grouping with my WHM, but definitely less hassle. Especially when you get tanks that like to not wear armor (yeah, inspected my pld tank and he was only wearing leather thigh high boots and leopard skin underwear on a hyar highlander male).

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #922 on: October 01, 2018, 01:23:02 PM

That's my biggest issue sometimes with switching classes - forgetting how to play that class if I haven't been on it in a while.  Since I'm on a PC and use the keyboard, I've tended to set up my hotkeys to be as close to the same as possible.  I think I'm going to switch the ones for my RDM around a bit though, since I have my "main" keys in the middle rather than on the left, i.e. my main spells are 5-6-7 rather than 1-2-3-4 like on my other classes.  I think that's because I have the physical attacks on 1-2-3 for whatever reason. 

I really wish the tool tips/descriptions that show up when you hover over a button could be made shorter.  I don't need a full description all the time, just the spell name when the icons start to all look the same.  It's annoying when you're a mouse user.

My most embarrassing thing to do as a healer is get myself killed, mostly because I'm too busy looking at people's health bars and not at the fight mechanics, which results in me standing in an AOE.  Oops! 

RDM is fun to play.  I enjoy it a lot but usually end up eventually going back to my SCH.  FC mate who helped me out yesterday was on his BRD and said he enjoys it a lot.  Makes me want to keep leveling that class more.  OTOH, MCH looks like fun as well.  I wouldn't mind leveling up my DRK more, because I've heard the storyline can be kind of dark as the WoL, but then I'd have to tank and to be honest, I don't pay enough attention to fight mechanics to be good as a tank.  I can barely remember what to do as a DPS most times, much less as a tank that needs to be in control of things.  I'm a lemming and run where everyone else is going.

Terracotta Army

Reply #923 on: October 01, 2018, 01:31:32 PM

When last I played in 2014 on PC, I took Bard up first and then moved to SCH. Really enjoyed SCH until I started hitting dungeons/raids that lead me to go into command overload. Basically, I'd just lose my mind and could figure out my next move/cast - trying to manage where to position my fairy and what I was doing in relation...hence why I went whm this time around. Still thinking about unlocking SCH... I just like the AF armor line at 50.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #924 on: October 08, 2018, 09:06:26 AM

So I guess this is the grindy part of the game.  I've hit a wall in doing the MSQ stuff because I need to have an iLevel of 300 to get into a required dungeon and my gear is only 292 (after tome farming last night).  The good part is playing on my SCH means I can get into groups fairly quickly.  The bad part is if I do all the roulettes (which isn't bad) that means I end up in the cutscene hell that is the MSQ ones.  You can't skip the cutscenes in those places and it's a running joke that people multitask in there.  OTOH, the rewards are higher than the other roulettes.

The downside was the one roulette I ended up in.  It was a level 68 dungeon (Doma Castle), so that was nice.  The tank, however, was in level 60 blue gear which was not nice.  He asked me if I wanted small or big pulls so I said smaller as I hadn't healed in there before.  After I struggled to keep him alive through the first two encounters, he charged into a large group and we ended up wiping there.  That's when I checked his gear, saw what he was wearing and before I said anything, he admitted his gear wasn't the best.  Like really, asshole?  He said this dungeon was the only place to get gear for him (you're a warrior, you can get drops anywhere!) and he didn't want to waste coin on buying crafted.  Asshole.  We wiped again on two more bosses but managed to finish out the dungeon without me quitting in disgust, because the other two (RDM and NIN) did a lot to keep themselves alive without a lot of help from me.  RDM healed herself when needed and I'm pretty sure she helped with the NIN, too.

Anyways, now I have a reason to play on my level 70 chars, because I need those other tomes to buy the end-game gear so I can keep moving on in the quest line.  As annoying as that sounds though, the roulettes are fairly short once you get into them (longer waits for DPS, shorter for Healers, non-existent for tanks).  It helps that the queues pull from all servers in a world and not just the one that you play on.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #925 on: October 18, 2018, 06:57:20 PM

Halloween holiday event is now live and it's cute and amusing.  I really enjoy these kinds of events because for me, it shows how the devs have fun as well.  The Haunted Mansion  quests are basically just seek-things-out quests, but there is a variety and you can do it repeatedly to buy the stuff however many times you like. 

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: