Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:00:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382274 times)
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #735 on: May 25, 2014, 02:43:12 PM

Bard in FFXIV is literally nothing but ranged DPS with an occasional aura you flick on when needed, usually MP regen for White Mages in raid content.

Probably the only really super-active support class is Scholar, where you have to manually manage your pet while you yourself also heal to get the most out of the class.

Agreed, I'm primarily a healer but I did get bard to 50 and its pretty crappy.  Feels like a half ass archer at best but there's nothing remotely bardly about it since the "songs" are just buffs that no one seems to notice anyways.   They are at least good dps, I guess.

And on the point of scholar, there really isn't much pet management unless you want it.  I let the computer control my fairy and they do more than fine.  Plus fairy scales with gear and at ilvl96 its like carrying around a personal whitemage.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #736 on: May 25, 2014, 03:32:53 PM

Bard is a good DPS ranged class, songs or the bard side of the class is meh.  Its useful for mana regen for healers or TP regen but that's it really.  Speed buff is nice running around towns but turns off in combat.  I'm hoping they make some changes to them to be more useful. 
Abalieno
Terracotta Army

Reply #737 on: June 03, 2014, 11:11:30 AM

I'm playing this.

I tried the beta in August on my old PC, up to about level 8, and found it a queer game with an odd style, and also extremely unimpressive. Now I'm playing it on a new computer and it surely helped to improve the experience. The engine can look very pretty and run well. I'd prefer a realistic style, but it can be charming.

The only MMO I played in the latest years has been Guild Wars 2 and I skipped without regrets the flow of mediocre titles like Star Wars, Rift and everything else. I was in the beta of TESO for a few days. For some reason the experience in FFXIV has been better (up to level 10, and bought it on GMG for $10).

I always wanted to like FFXI but it was impossible to play. It took forever to find a group and then you'd lose it very quickly. So the experience was brutal and I never had the occasion to find enough people to actually playing the game. And then it had the worst quest system, a terrible engine and terrible interface, on top of the log-in process being absurd and the forced fullscreen.

The point is that you could have on one side a game like DAoC, that offered very good systems but absolutely terrible content. It was a flat world with zero personality. Quests basically didn't exist and all content was crap. On the other side you had FFXI, that offered all kinds of terrible systems but that actually had content and a world worth exploring. It was interesting with interesting lore and creatures, lots of zones, lots of diversity. Tons of potentially good content and stuff to do. So you weren't just interested in leveling up your character, but in experiencing the content itself. But this just wasn't possible because you needed to find a dedicated party to do that and get over all the contrivances that the game forced on you.

So now there's FFXIV that is to WoW what FFXI was to Everquest. I absolutely appreciate the design of the first few levels. It's all about typical MMO boredom but it's done competently at least. All the quests are meant to introduce the place where you are, as well explain the various systems. Quests tell you how to use shops, interact with NPCs and other objects. There's a quest around level five that makes sure you have equipped better items. While all this would be completely crap for whoever has already played another MMO, it very well planned and designed in its flow, and makes sure that the various systems are properly introduced so that you don't miss anything.

Plus, I think, it avoids the huge issue of repeating this content, since as far as I know you can play all classes on the current character without creating a new one.

I don't see the problem with 2.5 GCD. That's enough to make the combat relatively tactical. The speed of combat is more related to how large is the health pool than how quickly you can spam skills. I'd say 2.5 seconds is the bare minimum for combat that isn't just the mindless spamming of skills. If FFXIV is not enough deep for tactics, then there's the problem. But it's not on the speed of the skills or number of keypress per minute. So I'm GLAD the overall speed is toned down in this game. I just can't stand the ridiculous spam/noise/chaos in other games. In GW2 combat is a total mess, but the cooldowns can be quite longer and on my level 30 character the combat isn't feeling more complex or even faster than FFXIV.

GW2 is surely the better game, but it's a better game that fails. The setting is dull and ridiculous (compared to FFXIV that is ridiculous but charming), there are interesting quest mechanics, but very soon you notice that the mechanics are always the same and become really tedious since nothing in the setting actually draws the attention. The more dynamic combat could be an advantage, but movement is mostly panacea, and even more frequently it's just not consistent enough to give a pleasant feeling. Visually it is way too messy to actually offer good strategy so in the end you spam skills in the exact same way, with the difference that in FFXIV it's well paced and with its good flow, whereas GW2 is like watching the same movie at 2x speed with all jerky movements and glows obscuring the screen.

The more I play the more the comparison between GW2 and FFXIV resembles the one between DAoC and FFXI (or the fact that FF actually has content and a world to offer that can grab the attention on some level), with the difference that this time I CAN play the game.

I like a lot the style of the UI, I like the lighting of the graphic engine, animations could be better but good enough and less wobbly than GW2, I like that I can create a character in all servers regardless of region, I like that consoles share the same world, I like that I could set the cutscene voices (even if they are sporadic) in Japanese. There are a myriad of small, well designed things. If there's something in the game then it's probably well thought. So in the end the presentation is well done and polished, with the promise of actually interesting content and enough variety of it. And usually Square games tend to be more complex and deep mechanically than how they appear.

GW2 has the PVP. Because all the PvE content is just the same with different labels on it. For some reason I had more fun with the basic quests in FFXIV than going through a zone in GW2 hunting for heart quests. FFXIV is calmer and more immersive. GW2 is fiddly, twitchy and dull.

So, up to this point, the well paced, non-fidgety combat is one of the aspects I like the most. A movie you watch in fast-forward is a movie you aren't going to enjoy, it just passes and leaves no trace.

P.S.
I'm playing Thaumaturge. Can someone explain why online I read I should put points in INT? Because I have this skill that let me swap INT and MND as I like. So I could basically just pump up one and ALWAYS have the higher stat, just as long I keep swapping them as needed. So, if the switch is a thing, it's as if I have one less stat to worry about.

- HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #738 on: June 03, 2014, 03:52:02 PM

Int raises your magic damage, period.  Nothing else gives you anything worthwhile for your attributes.  You should not be using cleric stance on thaumaturge, mind does nothing at all for you.  You'll lose the ability to slot it at all as soon as you unlock Black Mage.  You want Raging Strikes from level 4 Archer more than pretty much anything.  Later you'll want Quelling Strikes as an aggro reducer as well.   Everything else you get is from Arcanist and is utility not dps.

edit:  I should be more clear.  The ONLY thing you do on thaumature/black mage is ranged magic dps.  You don't heal, you don't really even do much utility.  There are no cascading secondary stats for the most part from the main attributes.  What they say they add to when you mouse over is it.  The other secondary stats come completely from equipment.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:57:13 PM by Ard »
Abalieno
Terracotta Army

Reply #739 on: June 03, 2014, 07:11:45 PM

Oh I'm sorry, I meant Conjurer, the one whose first spell is Stone.

So that's what I mean, if you heal, you use MND. If you attack, you use MND still (because you can swap INT).

So why waste points on INT?

- HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #740 on: June 03, 2014, 07:49:50 PM

As conjurer you only want mind :P  Cleric stance is great..but, it does reduce healing by 20pct, so its something you need at your fingertips so you can switch back and forth when necessary.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #741 on: June 05, 2014, 04:54:35 AM

Man, FFXIV is one of the few MMOs where I truly look forward to patch day, and not with a sense of "how will they fuck something up this time?".

Huge lists of QOL changes make me happy.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #742 on: June 25, 2014, 10:17:28 AM

If anyone is actually curious, this is $15 on steam for the next two days, although Valve or Square screwed up the daily listing and it's only showing Final Fantasy 7 as being on sale. 

edit:  Amazon price matched and beat Valve, it's 12.50 there, the CE is the same price from both.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:04:50 PM by Ard »
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #743 on: June 26, 2014, 10:31:26 AM

I noticed the Steam sale. Does it still "feature" mandatory PUG-dungeons merely to level?

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #744 on: June 26, 2014, 10:39:58 AM

You still need to do dungeons but they're painless. The group finder works really well and the dungeons are busy because they made it advantageous for high level players to repeat low level dungeons.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #745 on: June 26, 2014, 10:49:33 AM

I don't do PUGs, ever, and no one I know (well) is currently playing the game. Thanks for the answer, but I'm going to pass. :)

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #746 on: June 26, 2014, 11:28:16 AM

I think they are actually painless here because:

People will be rolling different classes on the same character. You have a high chance of grouping with people who know the encounters.
They are mostly short, straight attempts to a thing and it's mostly logical. (From what I remember)
The group finder is cross server (iirc) and with the number of people rerolling new jobs, it's not as bad as it seems.
It only halts your story quest bullshit - you can revisit it at any time.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #747 on: June 26, 2014, 12:15:59 PM

They were not that painless when the game was released. Things may be better now. They also may be extremely painful if you are tank or healer (I did the early ones as both).
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #748 on: June 26, 2014, 12:17:38 PM

I completely understand your attitude Stormwaltz. After a few PUGs in WoW I felt exactly the same way. I put off grouping in FFXIV as long as I possibly could but once I tried it I was pleasantly surprised. People were patient and decent and willing to explain the various boss tricks to a newbie.  I've run dozens of PUGs and only ever had one bad experience where I ended up with three assholes all from the same guild on another server. They were in a such a huge hurry to finish the dungeon I figured they could probably do without me so I ditched 'em and never saw them again.

Fake edit: Trippy is right. I wouldn't want to PUG as a newbie Tank. Unfair as it is people seem to expect the Tank to know the dungeon inside and out.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: June 26, 2014, 12:19:29 PM

I don't do PUGs, ever, and no one I know (well) is currently playing the game. Thanks for the answer, but I'm going to pass. :)

You are entitled to your gameplay choice, but I can say as someone who does PUG groups daily in FFXIV, I have had a very high success rate in most content I have done this in.  4 person dungeons are a joke to PUG all the way to the hard modes at level 50.  8 man content(Turns 1, 2 and 4) are also very easy to PUG, its only Turn 5 and beyond where it is harder.  CT is an easy 24 man PUG.  Also whenever we do get someone new most people are willing to help them learn the dungeon and get through it vs quitting and leaving.  Just sayin, I wouldnt of stuck with this game more then likely if PUG groups didnt work or if most of them were filled with people who are total asshats.  
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: June 26, 2014, 12:21:55 PM

I hate pugs with a passion.  I've been playing this game since the relaunch.  Leveling dungeons are extremely painless for the most part.  You do run into the occasional clueless person or complete asshole, but they're actually pretty rare.  If you really really want to avoid them, leveling outside the dungeons is pretty viable also, and you only ever have to run them once for the story or unlocks.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #751 on: June 26, 2014, 11:30:17 PM

I've been playing recently, as a tank, and the dungeons have been no problem. I let them know I'm new to the dungeon, pause before bosses to get any tricks. Nothing really that hard. Been smooth sailing so far, currently at 45.  Mining does a have a decent chance to make me fall asleep though.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: June 28, 2014, 04:15:31 PM

Picked this up for PS4 after being disappointed with Wildstar and this game is much more my speed. I don't know why I didn't give it much of a chance when I dabbled a bit in beta some time ago. It has that zen-like relaxing quality to the flow of play, the environments and characters look great, the world is immersive but still has that spark of FF whimsy I remember from FFXI back in the day.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: July 12, 2014, 06:24:28 PM

So patch 2.3 came out this week, must say another winner on their part.  New dungeons are well done(again) and I'm really having fun in Frontlines(24  vs 24 vs 24) PvP with the 3 grand company factions battling it out.  Plus you can change classes in the Frontline to any you leveled to 50, need a healer, just switch.  No bugs, no lag, quality patches on their part.  Ton of other stuff added as well, but overall this game and the content + frequency of content they produce are IMO top for MMO's out there right now. 
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #754 on: July 16, 2014, 09:44:32 AM

Free-play for this weekend for previous purchase people. I think I might spin this up again.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #755 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:55 PM

Oh, thanks for the notification.  Can log in and say 'hi'.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #756 on: July 31, 2014, 01:06:14 PM

This finally has a free trial up, as well as a recruit a friend program:

http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/us/
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #757 on: July 31, 2014, 01:33:29 PM

Guess I'll give this a shot now.  

Uhh, are a good number of us on any particular server?

-Rasix
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #758 on: July 31, 2014, 02:18:22 PM

Free?  Yeah I'll give this a shot, hearing good things about it.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #759 on: July 31, 2014, 02:20:28 PM

I'm on Coeurl, but it's a medium pop server and I'm not currently playing with anyone from F13.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #760 on: July 31, 2014, 02:45:26 PM

Ard also keeps trying to get me to move over, but I'm not active right now.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #761 on: July 31, 2014, 02:47:47 PM

It's not my fault you listened to Vu when you started  awesome, for real
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #762 on: July 31, 2014, 02:53:31 PM

I play on Behemoth
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #763 on: July 31, 2014, 04:49:38 PM

My guild was just about a perfect fit until they went crazy.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #764 on: July 31, 2014, 04:57:45 PM

How did they go crazy?
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #765 on: July 31, 2014, 05:01:53 PM

Too many women is my guess.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #766 on: July 31, 2014, 05:16:23 PM

Too many guild leaders defending a pervert with a tendency to go angry.bob over things like asking if he could tone it down.  Also said people getting all cliquish.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #767 on: August 01, 2014, 03:39:35 AM

Too many guild leaders defending a pervert with a tendency to go angry.bob over things like asking if he could tone it down.  Also said people getting all cliquish.

MMO's are seriously dramatic business
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #768 on: August 01, 2014, 04:27:52 AM

Where are us perverts supposed to go if not the once sacred ground of the modern MMO?  I'm sort of serious, though I'm sure it is possible to go too far with such things.  I can only wonder at what he did.  Unless of course you tell us, which you should.

Anyway, free seems to be the right price for trying this out finally.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #769 on: August 01, 2014, 08:41:34 AM

That was a slow intro. 

What base class is fun to level up?  Archer seems OK, but not terrific so far.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: