Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:46:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382272 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: May 13, 2014, 06:34:32 AM

Exactly.  People are playing these games DESPITE all these shitty systems, not because of them. 

And no, we don't need anyone to come back with a "fuck off, I like the combat".  Some people also like getting their dick pierced. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: May 13, 2014, 06:48:30 AM

But being incredibly similar to the industry leader does not mean your combat sucks.

It does if the industry leader's combat sucks. (The industry leader's combat sucks)

Seriously, this logic would be laughed out of the room in any other industry where it's just taken for granted that the taste of Middle America isn't necessarily the same thing as good taste.

"You think this burger is bland and poorly made? Well buddy, let me tell you, this burger is incredibly similar to Guy Fieri's bland and tasteless burger, and he's got millions of diners!"

His baby potatoes roasted in bacon grease are fantastic though. Maybe not for your heart, but certainly delicious!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #702 on: May 13, 2014, 06:52:27 AM

I think there should be an FFXIV subforum. There's clearly interest, and that way it won't feel like those of us who aren't fans of the game are shitting in everyone's potatoes when we comment negatively on it.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #703 on: May 13, 2014, 07:01:26 AM

Well, it probably is a game worth talking about, if for no other reason than they seem to have gotten their shit together to a large degree when compared to the original launch.  I give them much kudos for that.  I am just disappointed that the combat is the way it is being described.  I would actually prefer real turn based.  This hotbar/cooldown/tab-target thingy has worn out its welcome as far as I am concerned.  I could forgive most of the other boring systems in an MMO, but combat is the thing the whole game is centered around.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: May 13, 2014, 01:46:06 PM

I don't "like" the combat, but I dislike it less than GW2, TSW, and any other "actiony" combat MMO that isn't TERA. If you can't actually do combat right, you default to familiar which is WoW. Some games claim to have actiony combat: Wildstar and TESO are the most recent examples; those are the games for you. FFXIV is designed as a successor to FFXI, which apes EQ1. Some of us are okay with an old school feeling game; this is the game for us.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #705 on: May 13, 2014, 02:18:51 PM

A FF14 subforum?!

What, this thread isn't good enough for the 6 remaining subscribers that frequent this forum?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: May 13, 2014, 02:59:05 PM

There's more than six.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I just don't waste time discussing it here due to the shit that happened in the last two pages.  This is pretty much the second largest MMO on the market right now, and it pretty much single-handedly saved Square, after it tried to kill them.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #707 on: May 13, 2014, 03:41:19 PM

There's more than six.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I just don't waste time discussing it here due to the shit that happened in the last two pages.  This is pretty much the second largest MMO on the market right now, and it pretty much single-handedly saved Square, after it tried to kill them.

Um, at best it's third. GW2 is larger, and woW is definitely larger.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: May 13, 2014, 04:27:47 PM

I doubt he was counting  a free 2 play game.  I'm sure angry birds has more players as well.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: May 13, 2014, 04:33:28 PM

I was counting the fact that ArenaNet said they had 3 million players last August, when they're run by NCSoft who has always been really shady about reporting their player counts in their games, and with Guild Wars 2 being in a pretty massive player collapse since that peak.  So no, I don't think I'm being unrealistic since Square is pulling in something like 30 million a month from this game, with provable numbers since their financial reports just came out, look back like one page.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #710 on: May 13, 2014, 04:54:21 PM

I'd be curious to know what their Western numbers are as a percentage of that. A 2.5 second GCD just sounds unbearable to me, and I am probably on the short list for the biggest tab-target-GCD type combat fan here.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: May 13, 2014, 04:59:28 PM

The 2.5 GCD thing is a massive lie.  Non-GCD abilities require animations to be finished before using them.  Almost all abilities finish in almost exactly half the GCD.  The GCD exists strictly to meter your bread and butter abiilities.   At max level, you're almost always hitting a button every half-GCD, or around 1.25 seconds., and that's without figuring in hastes lowering the GCD.   You don't really start seeing this until around level 30 though.  Yes, this sucks for someone just starting the game, I'm not going to debate that, but it's not representative of endgame at all.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #712 on: May 13, 2014, 05:21:30 PM

PM Trippy or schild if you want a forum to talk amongst yourself.  I don't care.  It really doesn't outwardly appear to be more than a handful playing right now.   Probably the same with WoW and GW2.  But, it's not like there's a run on space in the mmo subforums right now.  Maybe when more shit comes out we'll need to move something.

-Rasix
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: May 13, 2014, 06:26:54 PM

Keep in mind that despite people here hating the game, FFXI was the largest MMO before WoW.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #714 on: May 13, 2014, 06:33:41 PM

Keep in mind that despite people here hating the game, FFXI was the largest MMO before WoW.

Heart

It was my first... before I knew better.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #715 on: May 13, 2014, 06:45:41 PM

I think there should be an FFXIV subforum.

This is silly but also why not?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #716 on: May 13, 2014, 06:46:46 PM

Cause it makes it a pain to move threads around to other forums cause the list is so fricking long now.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #717 on: May 13, 2014, 07:37:08 PM

The 2.5 GCD thing is a massive lie.  Non-GCD abilities require animations to be finished before using them.  Almost all abilities finish in almost exactly half the GCD.  The GCD exists strictly to meter your bread and butter abiilities.   At max level, you're almost always hitting a button every half-GCD, or around 1.25 seconds., and that's without figuring in hastes lowering the GCD.   You don't really start seeing this until around level 30 though.  Yes, this sucks for someone just starting the game, I'm not going to debate that, but it's not representative of endgame at all.
There's no cooldowns on the non-GCD abilities?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: May 13, 2014, 08:04:02 PM

There are, but you have enough of them that you usually alternate between all of them.  They show up in larger numbers post level 30, tied to the job unlocks, or slotted in from other classes.  At level 50, you'll usually have 10+ non-gcd abilities, most of them on shortish cooldowns.  The game also doesn't fall into EQ2's trap of having a billion duplicate abilities.  Almost everything you have is useful, and regularly used.

edit:  I suppose I could explain better.  Most classes have a general bread and butter set of moves that they do on the GCD.  1+2+3 etc.  Things you generally do in order or in reponse to things.  The non-gcd stuff comes in the form of interrupt attacks, short term buffs, emergency heals, etc, that you pop in between those.  Some of the non-gcd moves are reactives from passive procs or defenses that trigger or reset based on a condition or stance swaps.  It's all pretty standard stuff, but it ultimately plays out as if the GCD is really 1.25 seconds and not 2.5, and forces you to weave in other stuff between your standard 1+2+3 rotation spam.  I hope that makes more sense.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:14:52 PM by Ard »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #719 on: May 13, 2014, 11:41:38 PM

I like so many things about the Final Fantasy flavour, setting, style, colours, even the UI sounds are so cute and compelling and I love them, that it was a pain to quit playing. Sadly, it was also a pain to continue playing. The 2.5 GCD is there with you for the first few ays of playing  and while it is true that there are some skills that are off of it, at level 20 with two different classes it was literally unbearable for me. And this is not only because there's a weird constant wait for your skills to be ready -and you are just spamming buttons while waiting in order to maximize the response time- but because when they go off they don't really pack that oomph that makes you feel the wait was worth it.

Granted, as usual this is all very subjective. As i said multiple times I had the most positive bias towards this game and I'd like to pick it up again in the future. But the combat feels slow in a way that "2,5 GCD" doesn't even begin to describe. You have to have your stomach ready for that.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #720 on: May 14, 2014, 04:05:55 AM

There are, but you have enough of them that you usually alternate between all of them.  They show up in larger numbers post level 30, tied to the job unlocks, or slotted in from other classes.  At level 50, you'll usually have 10+ non-gcd abilities, most of them on shortish cooldowns.
Ahh, I see. Yeah it got me wonder if the cooldowns were short enough they could be used over and over between the regular skills, or if there was so many of them you'd always have something available to press (which seemed a bit off since people were saying there isn't all that many abilities to use, and that was the game's strong point)  It sounds like it's somewhere in-between these two options, which I guess makes sense.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #721 on: May 14, 2014, 08:11:11 AM

Does it have a skill queue buffer or a way to force buffer skills ala DOTA (using shift as a modifier) or do you just end up pressing the button 700 times for each ability?

I loved FF11 that game was amazing. Too bad about the overboard cockpunching because world wise, atmosphere wise and visually it was fantastic.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: May 14, 2014, 04:02:14 PM

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't have any sort of true skill queue.  I honestly haven't gone looking because I haven't needed one though.  You can however set up ability macros to do things in order, if you find something really repetitive.  I mostly only use them for crafting since I find it a bit too dangerous in endgame.  What the game does however have is a fairly good controller setup.  I don't personally use one, but I know a bunch of people who vastly prefer it for endgame fights over keyboard/mouse.  Anyhow, not trying to talk anyone into the game, just trying to correct some serious misconceptions that keep popping up.

edit: and just so we're clear that I'm not talking out my ass, here's my character:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2242697/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:03:52 PM by Ard »
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: May 14, 2014, 08:50:23 PM

Ive been playing since launch, lets face it there is a lot of shit out there MMO wise and these "new" games like Elder Scrolls and Wildstar are just as much garbage if not more(IMO more).  I dont think FFXIV breaks any real new ground but it does a lot of things well, content is coming quick, the game looks great and I enjoy leveling and gearing different classes on 1 toon.  Currently at level 50 WAR, SCH, WHM, DRG and BRD, all with Relic +1 or higher and i90+ gear on most.  Having a lot of diversity in classes makes the game a lot more fun IMO, depending on what my guild is doing any given night I can accommodate any role.  I also like making money and you can make a lot with crafting and other ways if you know how(and aren't half retarded).  They are planning to introduce 2 new classes soon as well, looking forward to those.  The game has only grown since launch so obviously it's doing something right and I don't see much on the horizon that will be a better choice.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: May 19, 2014, 03:59:10 PM

This game just 11.99 at gamestop till June 2nd if you are looking for a discount.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #725 on: May 19, 2014, 11:27:32 PM

It has subs right?  awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #726 on: May 20, 2014, 12:59:31 AM

Sadly yes, I'd be still occasionally playing if it didn't.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: May 24, 2014, 04:55:33 AM

It has subs right?  awesome, for real

You can buy it on Gamestop for $12.00 until June 2 and even if you pay for 1 month sub you would get to play for < $28, that's pretty dam good. 
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: May 24, 2014, 03:53:10 PM

This is what's coming in 2.28

◦Novus weapons (i110!), will be the first customizable weapons (by the way, atma rates will not be adjusted until the item level cap increases; to those sick of grinding Braysox tho, Myth rates will go up in either 2.28 or 2.3)
◦New challenge log objectives
◦Exploration log added, it apparently involves seeking out unusual places?
◦Expert Delivery interface significantly enhanced
◦Wolves Den enhancements
◦Thornmarch/Whorleater EX in Duty Finder for solo entry
◦Echo buffs apply to ‘companions’ (assumedly summoner/scholar pets)
◦Crafting log filtering options
◦Disciples of Hands can over-repair items to 199%
◦Party list auto-sort in dungeons
◦Expert/High Level Duty Roulette with multiple people
◦Equipment previews
◦Preformed parties can now commend solo players
◦"Adjustments to Party Finder"
◦FATE Progress will be displayed on the maps
◦Teleport via Aethrytes on the map
◦Earned character titles can now be added to name plates
◦"Auto-skip previously viewed cutscenes" option
◦Fantasia will be purchasable

2.28 WAS planned to hit on the 28th, but difficulties have delayed it.  Please look forward to it (est. on 5th of next month).
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: May 24, 2014, 04:16:45 PM

The absurdly low Atma drop rate has been the main thing killing my drive to play, so that's disappointing.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: May 24, 2014, 07:53:20 PM

The absurdly low Atma drop rate has been the main thing killing my drive to play, so that's disappointing.

Ive gotten 36 atmas, 3 of my classes have done this.  Ive had some that took 8 hours and a few Ive gotten within 15 minutes of each other.  The most success Ive had is to not stay in 1 zone more then 1 hour.  It takes some dedication to complete but if you only play 1 class, you only need to do this once.  The zones with atmas and high level fates arent bad IMO because u get company seals and u can turn them in for coke, potash, etc and make some decent money on them, the lower level ones do suck.  I think the worst part about atmas is having to farm low level fates for them, high level ones arent too bad
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:02:22 PM by Shatter »
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: May 24, 2014, 08:15:41 PM

I finished my animus and while it was a bit murky at times, it really only took as long as maxxing out a beast tribe.  The atma part is annoying but there is so much more after that that's its hard for me to really remember that annoyance.  Just making myth drop fast will really easy your burden with the books.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: May 25, 2014, 03:43:34 AM

I finished my animus and while it was a bit murky at times, it really only took as long as maxxing out a beast tribe.  The atma part is annoying but there is so much more after that that's its hard for me to really remember that annoyance.  Just making myth drop fast will really easy your burden with the books.

This I agree with.  I dont feel the "atma grind" is all bad(its not great) in comparison to the myth grinding required for books, its much worse.  At least next patch I believe they plan to increase myth drops so that should help
Lemming
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: May 25, 2014, 05:39:11 AM

Are bards as busy as they were in FF11? I remember running around positioning myself so only certain party members got certain buffs, all while keeping debuffs on enemies, doing backup heals, and occasionally pulling - never a dull moment.  If the FF14 bard is as useful and active, or if there is a similar support job, I may take a look at the game.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: May 25, 2014, 08:22:31 AM

Bard in FFXIV is literally nothing but ranged DPS with an occasional aura you flick on when needed, usually MP regen for White Mages in raid content.

Probably the only really super-active support class is Scholar, where you have to manually manage your pet while you yourself also heal to get the most out of the class.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: