Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:33:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 383646 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #630 on: December 20, 2013, 03:20:08 PM

I love everything in this except the combat. Oh my gosh, I said it before and I'll say this again: it takes all my love for retrogaming and turn based games not to want to blow my brain out.

I would of been playing this game if somehow they were using at least something like GW2's combat. I can't take tab target/hotbar based combat anymore

Did Guildwars 2 change from tab target/hotbar recently? Could've sworn that's what I was using over there.

No, you don't need a target in GW2. You attack and hit what is in front of you. But it's a bit of a hybrid, as it has a few "locked on" abilities.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:22:52 PM by Falconeer »

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: December 20, 2013, 03:45:19 PM

The combat in FFXIV is quite dull.

It's weird. I think FFXIV Original Formula was a more interesting game, it was just horribly broken. But I liked the stamina bar in combat (something that was removed very early on), I liked the way you could mix/match skills quite a lot, how each had a point score that counted against the total, etc. It was very ambitious systemically in a way the new version is not.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #632 on: December 20, 2013, 04:33:14 PM

It's dull unless you are in a dungeon and you are a tank or healer in which case it's a button mashing movement-fest. It's one of my complaints of the game. The game play dramatically changes if you are in a dungeon compared to the typically outdoors quest grind if you are a tank or healer.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: December 20, 2013, 11:21:09 PM

The combat in FFXIV is quite dull.

It's weird. I think FFXIV Original Formula was a more interesting game, it was just horribly broken. But I liked the stamina bar in combat (something that was removed very early on), I liked the way you could mix/match skills quite a lot, how each had a point score that counted against the total, etc. It was very ambitious systemically in a way the new version is not.
I also miss the old skill system; the amount of cross-class skills available are so limited now once you choose a job that you really only have a handful of viable options. Removing the subclass restrictions would go a long way to making character builds more diverse.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #634 on: December 22, 2013, 06:45:17 AM

In the old system even without cross-class skills you got more skills than you could field at any given time, so you had to make pretty significant decisions about what to take along.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #635 on: January 08, 2014, 10:07:54 AM

I just installed the game I got on sale for $9.99 and I'm having a great time. They seem to have avoided some of the early annoyances of FFXI by not needing worldstones to play with friends or having to pay to have more than one character. It's as beautiful in its graphics and music as I remember FFXI being.

Definitely worth the money even if I don't play after the free month.

Is it possible they've actually revived this game after the horrendous first launch?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: January 08, 2014, 09:41:41 PM

It seems to pretty easily take the crown as the most competent MMO relaunch. Then again, compared to stuff like the SWG relaunch that actually made it a worse game I guess that's no amazing feat.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #637 on: January 10, 2014, 06:36:00 AM

I'm glad to see that the tradition of outfitting newbies in leather bondage gear continues from FFXI. I have my subligar now I need a beret.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: January 10, 2014, 02:18:05 PM

All the berets I've seen are crafter/gatherer gear, sadly.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: January 11, 2014, 01:37:30 AM

I blame Seg for this

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: January 11, 2014, 03:35:35 PM

As if there wasn't already enough to do, here's a list of things expected in 2.2:

•New Coil turns which drops new Allagan gear
•Turns 1-5 nerf (Unknown how this will be accomplished)(I read they will use an echo system that basically adds a buff to all players so the fights remain unchanged.)
•New currency like Philo and Myth
•New artifact armor
•Frontlines PVP system (Confirmed to be in development. Currently unconfirmed for 2.2)
•Free Company alliances
•Personal housing (Most likely not in 2.2)
•Vanity system
•A third retainer (Confirmed to be coming. Unconfirmed for 2.2)
•Leviathan (hard mode and extreme)
•1 new dungeon
•2 new hard mode dungeons
•New Hildebrand story
•New story missions, probably leading up to Leviathan.
•Ability to queue for Crystal Tower with 24 people. (Unconfirmed for 2.2, but confirmed to be in development)
•Addon support (Originally mentioned to be 6 months after launch. Currently unconfirmed for 2.2 though)
•DX11 and 64-bit clients (Confirmed to be in development to coincide with the PS4 launch. Currently unconfirmed for 2.2)
•4k Resolution support (Confirmed to be in development. Currently unconfirmed for 2.2. Probably will be 2.3 or later)
•Extreme mode King Moogle
•Kobold and Sahagin dailies
•New hair styles (Yoshi-P has said each major patch will have a main focus on a single race)
•Ability to queue in duty roulette with multiple people (Confirmed to be in development. Unconfirmed for 2.2)
•Chim and Hydra added to duty finder (Confirmed to be in development. Unconfirmed for 2.2)
•Expansion of the dye system
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #641 on: January 12, 2014, 02:18:23 PM

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: January 24, 2014, 03:58:01 PM

Well I'm up to level 27 and still having a great time. The dungeons I've done so far have been fine. The group finder works well and nobody whined at me for watching the cutscenes.  I still find myself in leather bondage gear from time to time though. I think it's because I took up leatherworking and the skill is high enough to make my own armour. I'm almost always in leather shorts and an eyepatch.

I think I'm actually going to subscribe for a while and see if it stays fun all the way to the end.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: January 24, 2014, 06:08:14 PM

Well I'm up to level 27 and still having a great time. The dungeons I've done so far have been fine. The group finder works well and nobody whined at me for watching the cutscenes.  I still find myself in leather bondage gear from time to time though. I think it's because I took up leatherworking and the skill is high enough to make my own armour. I'm almost always in leather shorts and an eyepatch.

I think I'm actually going to subscribe for a while and see if it stays fun all the way to the end.

Fun game is fun!  I know its cliché, but you have so much to look forward to.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: January 25, 2014, 03:40:18 PM

Newest Info from the Live Letter:

-- DATE -- Patch 2.16 and the PS4 version will be released roughly Feb 22nd. Patch 2.2 will be released in March.

-- HOUSING -- Small housing will be roughly doubled in size as of patch 2.2, and the future basement which will be added for airship building is available with all housing sizes.

-- QUALITY OF LIFE -- Chimera/Hydra in party finder, Gear Dying Preview UI, Vanity System ('Glamours') and more.

-- PRIMALS -- Leviathan will be released as both Hard and Extreme immediately, and new Primals will be added in every patch. Extreme mode Moogle to be added.

-- DUNGEONS -- New 4-man Dungeon is known as the Amdapor Township. Will be the hardest dungeon in the game. Brayflox Longstop and Halatali hard modes.

-- RAIDS -- Coil introduces 4 new turns. All four will contain bosses. Turns 1-5 will become farmable and added to the duty finder.

-- DAILIES AND QUESTS -- Kobolds and Sahagin added as beast tribes to do daily quests for. Both mounts and minions confirmed. Hilibrand questline to continue, with a showdown with you-know-who hinted at.

-- DOH/DOL -- Fishing challenges, Quick Synth will now take character stats into account, new crafts of the new ilevel.

--- Low-Res Screenshots --- http://imageshack.com/a/img841/5721/dmup.png
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #645 on: January 27, 2014, 08:12:52 AM

Started this on Friday night.  I had some people working on me for the past few months to try it, and finally relented.  I like it, and I'm motivated to keep playing. 

My initial impression was, and still is, " swamp poop what do i do?  swamp poop "  There seems to be some huge commitments that are difficult to go back on.  My friend told me, "no more than any mmo," which I guess is true, maybe it's just an overwhelming amount of info to take in.  Even with the easy stuff that is exactly like a million other games, I can't help but second guess every choice I'm making. 

One character for all things?  Is it a bad to thing to have more than one character in this game? One way I deal with mmo's is to have alts that look different, so I can go back and forth when I get bored of being a [insert gender/race here].  But this is probably something that will sort itself out.

My question is this:  looking back on what classes I've liked in other games, I'm trying to decide which would be a good one in FFXIV.  In WOW I loved the melee DPS classes of Rogue and Warrior, and really liked to tank as a Warrior or Pally.  In GW2 I loved Necromancer and Engineer.  How do FFXIV classes compare to these? 

Also, what's the pvp like?

I'm initially attracted to pugilist --> monk or lancer --> dragoon.  Also considering warrior if that is good for solo roaming as well as dungeon tanking.  However, seeing as mob tagging appears to be pretty competitive in FATEs, maybe a thaumaturge is the way to go?   swamp poop

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #646 on: January 27, 2014, 08:55:20 AM

Word on the street is the WAR is the new FotM. They can tank or DPS and have good survivability overall. They go the way of stacking HP as opposed to PLD that stacks mitigation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1UaQTdQXmY

4 warriors running through a late game dungeon video. They do pretty well surprisingly.

Either way, you are best off leveling everything up, at least to 15, for cross class options. For WAR, you will need PUG and GLD skills.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: January 27, 2014, 09:17:19 AM

The advantage of training multiple classes on a single character is that there are useful cross-class skills to be had. The disadvantage is that you can only run through the main quest line once. Because of that it's best to leave as many sidequests alone as you can so that your other classes will have quests to level with. Once you run out of quests you're stuck with FATE grinding or repetitive dungeon running.

You need to have at least two classes anyway to get an advanced job. I went for Archer at the beginning but now I'm picking up 15 levels of pugilism so that I can switch over to Bard.

I really, really like Archer class but from what I've read it's by far the simplest and most straightforward class in the game.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: January 27, 2014, 02:49:12 PM

The advantage of training multiple classes on a single character is that there are useful cross-class skills to be had. The disadvantage is that you can only run through the main quest line once. Because of that it's best to leave as many sidequests alone as you can so that your other classes will have quests to level with. Once you run out of quests you're stuck with FATE grinding or repetitive dungeon running.

You need to have at least two classes anyway to get an advanced job. I went for Archer at the beginning but now I'm picking up 15 levels of pugilism so that I can switch over to Bard.

I really, really like Archer class but from what I've read it's by far the simplest and most straightforward class in the game.

Aha.  There does seem to be a crapton of quests so far.  Glad I don't have to obsessively complete them!

Thanks.  I guess it comes down to really finding a look to stick with.  I understand there's a barber shop at some point...is this just for hair?  Or can you change features?
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #649 on: January 27, 2014, 06:42:19 PM

I think it lets you change everything but your race and sex. The quest that gives you access to the barber is hilarious with one of the funniest cut-scene endings I've seen so far. You pick it up in Limsa Lominsa at 15th level.
Rake
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: January 28, 2014, 02:33:25 AM

One of the other things about Bard, apart from it being quite simplistic to play, is that they are required to get through the Coil raid turns 1 and 2.
So, you will not struggle to find a place in a Raid group even if your FC isn't as active as you'd like.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #651 on: January 28, 2014, 03:00:09 AM

Oh good to know. My plan is to take Bard to 50 to see what the end game is like and then if all goes well try something more on the magical side of things.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #652 on: February 14, 2014, 07:51:43 PM

Do bards fight like they do in Rift, where you strum your lute and damage enemies?  Because I really like that for some reason.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #653 on: February 14, 2014, 08:36:37 PM

Do bards fight like they do in Rift, where you strum your lute and damage enemies?  Because I really like that for some reason.

No. They are rangers.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: February 15, 2014, 02:33:27 AM

I've been a bard for 10 levels now and I think I've used a bard song maybe twice in that time. I'm sure that'll change at higher levels or with hard mode dungeons but for now there's no real difference between bard and archer as far as I'm concerned.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #655 on: February 18, 2014, 03:12:23 AM

Now on Steam, at a discounted price.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: February 27, 2014, 11:16:41 AM

A Playstation 4 open beta has begun, for anyone who has a PS4 and wants to try this for free http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/ps4/beta/
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #657 on: February 27, 2014, 02:53:45 PM

Yep.  Still sucks.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #658 on: March 03, 2014, 07:33:08 PM

What server is everyone playing on?
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #659 on: March 03, 2014, 08:04:37 PM

I'm on Mateus.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: April 23, 2014, 08:34:03 PM

I'm a member of a small guild on Mateus. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a freebie forum account somewhere? It doesn't need to do much. It'd just be nice to have a place to touch base outside of the game itself.

I googled for it but there are tons and I'm sure someone here can give me a name or two that aren't keyloggers or spam factories.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #661 on: May 10, 2014, 04:43:25 AM

So FFXIV is still a major profit center for SE it seems.  What is it now, 8-9 months since launch...or I guess re-launch

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/09/square-enix-boosts-financial-forecast-following-favourable-sales
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: May 10, 2014, 07:17:26 AM

The reviews for the new version, at least on PS4, have been shockingly positive.  Shocking for me, anyway, possibly only because I haven't been playing close enough attention.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #663 on: May 10, 2014, 11:36:39 AM

I'm still playing and enjoying myself.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #664 on: May 10, 2014, 12:48:07 PM

Yes, I enjoyed playing this for quite a while and I'll probably visit it again.  I really didn't think I would like and that surprised me.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: