Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:28:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382270 times)
zumu
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: December 07, 2013, 08:05:52 PM

You get like a max of 6 cross-over skills or something at 50.  You just have to level the other classes to 50 to unlock them.  NO PROBLEM!   why so serious?

Not exactly true. You have to level the other class up to the level it receives the specific cross class skill.  For example, you only need to lvl Gladiator to 8 in order to unlock Flash for cross-classing.

Also, you get a 50% exp bonus for lvling classes lower than your highest class AND you don't have to do your story quests again. Which means you can just fate grind for a few hours to unlock your desired cross-class skill, assuming it's below your main.

Anyway, while we're complaining about the game. My biggest gripe is the animation locking of skills. That is to say, you can't use a skill (even those off the GCD) until the animation of the previous skill has finished. This leads to me spamming the key for my non-GCD skills until it finally goes off. It seems a lot of the game is properly weaving skills in between animations and GCD, as opposed to twitch. Kind of a bitch for a spazzy FPS player like myself.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: December 08, 2013, 01:45:41 AM

The biggest problem with the animation locking - for me, at least - is for certain instants.

If you're used to the snappy way that you can flow from using a non-GCD instant in a game like WoW or TOR to using another skill, FFXIV can trip you up by making the skill you're trying to use instant and off the GCD... but you still can't use it if another skill's animation is playing, and you can't use another skill until the instant's animation has played.

I'm so used to the snappy way games like WoW do it that I constantly find myself hitting Swiftcast, flowing right into the Resurrection or Summon I was using it for, then going right back to a heal before remembering that I have to wait for Switcast's animation to play out, so I end up hitting my heal instead of the actual long-cast thing I intended to.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #597 on: December 08, 2013, 03:00:06 AM

As we said multiple times, FF14 is truly a pre-WoW game, a faithful successor of FF11 (2003). That is its biggest problem and its biggest quality. Personally I am loving it for personal reasons that have a lot to do with the art style, my age, my love for the past and for turn based games. But every night, as soon as I grow tired of the slow ass combat, I launch Smite or Planetside 2 and I am at peace with the universe again and ready for another round in GlobalCoolDown world.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: December 09, 2013, 09:54:12 AM

This is the first MMORPG in a long time, possibly ever, that I felt like going around in first person (can't do it actually) or with my UI/HUD completely off for how beautiful the graphics are. No screenshot can do it enough justice, but everything is SO vibrant, colourful and fantastically illuminated that I keep pausing to take screenshots. Seriously, the lights, the bonfires, torches and lanterns at the side of a road at night, not to mention how different the world feels based on the weather (sunny, cloudy, rainy) or the time of the day (best day/night cycle in a MMO ever?)... it's all so beautiful. Amazing job here, incredible art direction.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: December 10, 2013, 03:15:48 AM

As we said multiple times, FF14 is truly a pre-WoW game, a faithful successor of FF11 (2003).

I think this along with adding in post-WoW creature comforts (Duty Finder, Achievements, minions, fast-travel, mounts, Rested XP, etc.) is what's doing it for me right now.  And I agree with you on the art stuff too.  FF games have always pushed the upper limits of rendering beautiful words, from the 8-bit days to now.  I think they took a lazy approach initially with XIV v.1, but like most of the other stuff, that got fixed with v.2.

Got my Gladiator to 20 and did the class quest.  Fuck those Fire AoE mages.  Was the first time I've died with this character.  Still beat the quest eventually.  Decided to take the experience and use it for motivating me to get Conjurer up to 15 so's I can slide into Paladin when I'm ready.  The Protect and Cure spells are nice little cross-over tricks to have.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: December 10, 2013, 03:22:44 AM

I think my tastes in graphics must have slowly altered over the years, because I think the screen shots above are terrible. the character models are okay in an incredibly bland JRPG way but the environments look *awful*. they remind me of EQ2 - nothing seems to fit together properly so the rocks look like they are floating slightly and everything looks like a flat still element that was photoshopped onto the screen.

FF14 v2 was a real let down for me. I honestly don't see the appeal because it's so patently grindy, and combined that with the fact that playing it on the PS3 turned out to be completely stupid killed it stone dead for me.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #601 on: December 10, 2013, 04:01:07 AM

All I can say is that I agree the screenshots don't really look that good when compared to the real thing. I tried to underline the beautiful light effects, but it's when the whole thing is in motion that it really shines. If you have tried it, then OK maybe our tastes are just very different. But I am so impressed by the art direction, it keeps taking my breath away.

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: December 10, 2013, 04:38:49 AM

It definitely does look better in game - it's one of those games that doesn't do well on still shots I find.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: December 13, 2013, 02:21:30 PM

I've gotten to ~20 on my Thaumaturge and my opinion of the game has cooled a bit. The world feels extremely lifeless. Unless you are doing a quest or bounty mission, the game never gives you any reason to explore. I've been spoiled by all the recent games that rewarded you for venturing off the beaten path, whether it's rares/chests in SWTOR, shinies and puzzles in Rift, lore and vanity items in the newest WoW expansion, or a bunch of different rewards/activities in GW2. FFXIV by contrast never gives you a reason to do anything besides linear questing/bounties/public quests/crafting. It makes the grind feel even more transparent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: December 14, 2013, 09:44:18 AM

2.1 notes are up.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/03843d6bf7ba69adc37d7955ff7af43f3c43828a

Good lord...if 2.0 was the mulligan for the game, this would be the follow up Miracle Patch that tidies up everything and seal's the deal.  I wish every dev did notes that explicitly detailed.  awesome, for real

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: December 14, 2013, 11:14:54 AM

The fine-tuned inventory sorting commands are pretty great-looking too.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #606 on: December 14, 2013, 12:06:42 PM

Wowsers.  I think instead of quitting and re-subbing for individual player housing, I'll start grinding now so I can maybe have enough money to actually buy property!  Look at them prices!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: December 14, 2013, 12:51:33 PM

Is individual housing already in? I heard it's only gonna be for guilds with this patch, right?

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: December 14, 2013, 01:06:41 PM

Only guild housing this patch, and they're priced extremely high to drain gold seller and legacy player money out of the market.  Makes me glad I'm on one of the cheaper servers now, even if mine can only afford a small house.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: December 14, 2013, 02:51:44 PM

I'm really excited about the patch.  I feel like the FC housing is sort of a test run for private housing so at the very least we should get a sexy finished product in 3 months.  FC housing isn't really that expensive, though I get that some FC's simply don't have the funds but mine certainly won't have any issues.  We all just donated what we could and there seems to be plenty.  Making gil isn't very hard, but it does require focus and some people would just rather spend their time just playing battle jobs.  Now that I have 50 Botany, Mining, Goldsmithing and Weaving the gil flows like wine.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #610 on: December 14, 2013, 04:09:05 PM

Three months?  You sure?  I heard six months but maybe I heard it three months ago.  I don't remember.  Today has been aggravating.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: December 14, 2013, 06:06:50 PM

They haven't committed to a date on personal housing, other than they were going to wait to see how the free company housing goes first.   It's on the table, it's just a matter of prioritization at this point.  Could be the next patch, could be a year from now, won't know until they commit it to a release.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: December 14, 2013, 07:35:46 PM

Duty Roulette has been added to the Duty Finder.

You may now register for duties at random from among those you have unlocked. Successful completion will earn you greater rewards than normal. Moreover, a bonus will be awarded once per day for participating in each category. Furthermore, should your role be in short supply, you will be awarded an additional bonus for being an adventurer in need.

awesome, for real

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: December 15, 2013, 06:59:35 PM

Fishing till the server goes down for 24 hours.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: December 16, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Oy, and people complained about WoW's downtime for patches  why so serious?

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: December 16, 2013, 11:22:41 AM

This thread caused me to pick this up and give it a whril. I am having a great deal of fun. I found a small friendly free company and it has been all good times. It has a rather nostalgic old school feel that makes me feel all comfy while playing it.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: December 16, 2013, 11:28:02 AM

I love everything in this except the combat. Oh my gosh, I said it before and I'll say this again: it takes all my love for retrogaming and turn based games not to want to blow my brain out.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #617 on: December 16, 2013, 01:04:37 PM

Patcher is up and running.  Get going on that 3 gig download :P

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: December 16, 2013, 03:36:37 PM

Thanks for that.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: December 17, 2013, 11:06:24 AM

Duty Roulette looks like a winning thing.  My queue times for dungeons went from 5-10 minutes to 5-10 seconds  awesome, for real

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #620 on: December 17, 2013, 12:30:34 PM

I hear PvP is a real sleeper hit.   Rimshot

why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: December 17, 2013, 03:54:57 PM

I've only been on about 20 minutes and some first impressions:

Bag Sorting is awesome.
Revenant's Toll looks completely different, I loaded in there and was completely lost.
UI components now have like 6 different size options instead of 3.
Where's the stylist!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: December 17, 2013, 06:43:07 PM

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: December 17, 2013, 09:14:05 PM

You guys are making me want to play this again. ACK!
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: December 17, 2013, 09:26:37 PM

Lol, this is a pretty overwhelming amount of content they added.  Honestly feels like an expansion.  I might feel less that way as I get a chance to try everything but there really is a ton.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: December 19, 2013, 03:18:21 PM

FF 14 is on sale for half price, both digital and digital collector's edition, on amazon if anyone is interested. 
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #626 on: December 20, 2013, 10:27:04 AM

I was thinking about switching to another server, like Gilgamesh, so I'd have friends to play and/or exchange stuff with but it's too bloody crowded there and that's the reason I left Ultros.  :(

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: December 20, 2013, 01:50:42 PM

I love everything in this except the combat. Oh my gosh, I said it before and I'll say this again: it takes all my love for retrogaming and turn based games not to want to blow my brain out.

I would of been playing this game if somehow they were using at least something like GW2's combat. I can't take tab target/hotbar based combat anymore
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: December 20, 2013, 02:50:18 PM

I would of been playing this game if somehow they were using at least something like GW2's combat. I can't take tab target/hotbar based combat anymore
would have

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: December 20, 2013, 03:09:19 PM

Did Guildwars 2 change from tab target/hotbar recently? Could've sworn that's what I was using over there.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: