Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:10:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  (Read 336250 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1540 on: September 08, 2017, 09:35:06 AM

Well, just about all the SHIELD agents created for the series and the MCU have appeared in the comics after the series started - Coulsen, Fitz, Simmons, Hunter, and they even have a Deathlok that isn't the same but is close. There really haven't been a lot of memorable SHIELD agents in the comics.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1541 on: September 08, 2017, 01:12:37 PM

I don't think they were ever trying to adapt what SHIELD was as a comic into a TV series. SHIELD's function in the MCU is slightly different in that for Phase 1 at least they're the only ones who know the bigger picture when it comes to people with super powers. The TV series allowed them to use the only recognizable recurring character in the MCU, and structurally the show started off as not being that much different from a lot of other stuff on TV, just with the central conceit being that it took place in a world with super powers, aliens, and dangerous artifacts.

The main issue with the series is that they spent most of the first season playing up the clichéd nature of the show and Ward in particular before doing the big reveal. It made the first season much better in hindsight but that didn't matter to large number of viewers that had already given up on the show. Combine that with a lack of interaction with the movies, overly long story arcs (until they started breaking things up into shorter arcs last season), and then just the natural attrition almost every series goes through and ratings have dropped off to a dismal level. The closest they've come to trying to attract new viewers was introducing Ghost Rider last season, but in four seasons they've pretty firmly established that MAOS doesn't matter to the movies or even the Netflix shows and that any guest stars they get are characters deemed so unimportant that they aren't going to get used anywhere else.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1542 on: September 08, 2017, 02:11:23 PM

There have been hundreds of named agents that had short bursts of being interesting before disappearing into obscurity.  It was why I was shocked not to see those names used for the agents in the pilot, but instead see new agents.

Regardless, since the Winter Soldier tie-in ended, pretty much everything has felt like collections of fan fiction to me.  They need to get serious about bringing the movies and TV shows together a bit in the post Infinity War era if they want to get past that problem.  I want to see movie (Spider-man/Avengers) NY, Netflix (for now) NY and Cloak and Dagger NY all align so that they seem like the same place.  I want to see Black Widow and Hawkeye show a glimmer of interest in SHIELD, their former employer where many people they know worked. 

is returning next season in some capacity, per recent articles.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1543 on: September 09, 2017, 09:57:02 AM

My view is they need to stop worrying about crossover and keep the show good in its own right.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1544 on: October 07, 2017, 06:02:42 PM

December 1 return.

I wonder if they tie this season, at all, to Thor:Ragnarock.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:41:20 PM by jgsugden »

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1545 on: December 02, 2017, 12:48:23 AM

Heh, going full-on sci-fi. Dig it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1546 on: December 02, 2017, 11:04:21 AM

Heh, going full-on sci-fi. Dig it.

AGENTS IN SPAAAAACE!

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1547 on: December 04, 2017, 07:00:59 AM

Still quite unsure on this season. They blew a lot of special effects budgets on those first two episodes. Does that mean a number of elevator episodes coming up?

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1548 on: December 04, 2017, 09:28:05 AM

It looks like most of the season is going to be inside the station, which means no location budgets - everything on a single soundstage.

I'm curious to see where this all goes. Silent, reverse makeup, Ben Wa Balls of Doom! girl intrigues me.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1549 on: December 04, 2017, 12:47:59 PM

"Ship Shelter in a Bottle."

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1550 on: December 04, 2017, 04:26:48 PM

Silent, reverse makeup, Ben Wa Balls of Doom! girl intrigues me.
I'm betting Jemma gains control of those balls and brings them back in time...

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1551 on: December 05, 2017, 09:33:07 AM

So it's not real time travel unless
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1552 on: December 05, 2017, 11:01:48 AM

So it's not real time travel unless

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1553 on: December 05, 2017, 06:52:29 PM

Fucking comic books...

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1554 on: December 10, 2017, 09:59:41 PM

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1555 on: December 12, 2017, 02:30:41 PM

They explain number 3.
I totally missed that.  I totally am not interested enough to go back and watch it again and see it.  However, that makes no sense to me -

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #1556 on: December 12, 2017, 03:11:37 PM

However, that makes no sense to me -

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1557 on: December 12, 2017, 06:43:01 PM

The place isn't in orbit. It is underground on the remaining large chunk of earth with one edge exposed to space.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1558 on: December 12, 2017, 11:29:18 PM

Yeah, that fact took me a while to figure out. I'll admit I'm intrigued at this season. I get the feeling girl who is totally not Sublime from DV8 (I know, wrong comic universe) is going to stick around and play a big role. Curious if they are going to jump back in to the past at some point, as I hadn't heard anything about Ian deCastawhatever leaving the show, and apparently Hunter is supposed to make an appearance.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1559 on: December 13, 2017, 09:08:38 AM

Wait, i thought they were just in space but its space, in the future? Jesus they are going full 2000s scifi spinoff here.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1560 on: December 13, 2017, 03:42:30 PM

... as I hadn't heard anything about Ian deCastawhatever leaving the show, and apparently Hunter is supposed to make an appearance.
He has not.  They're going to do a few episodes in the future, then have one end with him showing up with a team (or something) and then will do a Fitz centered episode, likely with him getting Hunter back into the fold due to the absence of the team. (My guess - probably see him around episode 5)

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1561 on: December 14, 2017, 11:27:50 PM

I guess my one big gripe with this entire concept is that we know the ultimate outcome.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1562 on: December 23, 2017, 08:08:46 PM

Nice Empire Strikes Back reference between Hunter and Fitz.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1563 on: December 25, 2017, 08:16:19 PM

It is seeming kind of obvious ...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:16:26 PM by jgsugden »

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1564 on: May 14, 2018, 12:43:55 PM

They get a (shortened) Season 6.  We will get to see what they do in the face of Infinity War.  

http://tvline.com/2018/05/14/agents-of-shield-renewed-season-6/

Edit: Premieres Summer 2019, so the answer is that they'll bypass the year between the movies.  Ugh. http://tvline.com/2018/05/15/agents-of-shield-season-6-summer-2019/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:45:35 AM by jgsugden »

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1565 on: May 19, 2018, 01:25:34 AM

... and that was clearly intended as a series finale... and disappointed in so many ways.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1566 on: August 21, 2018, 08:31:22 PM

God I finally got caught up with this. The finale definitely felt like a "we ain't getting renewed" thing but since they get a short season 6, maybe it'll make more sense? Lots of unanswered questions and not really much resolution. Though I will say I did like the costuming they did on Graviton because minus the white cape, that was exactly the look out of the comics.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1567 on: November 16, 2018, 01:14:34 PM

This has been renewed for a Season 7 - also of 13 episodes - that will likely be filmed back to back with the 13 episode Season 6 that will show next summer - basicaly meaning that they're splitting a full Season 6 over two years.

Also of note: It is apparently the most watched Marvel show, still... and Netflix may be starting to subtly reference it in their shows.  Last Season of Daredevil had some of those background news articles on Karen's wall that referenced events from MAoS, such as the massive blackouts.

Parrot Analytics reports that the "most in demand" Marvel show are MAOS (22.3 M), Daredevil (15.3M), Cloak & Dagger (12.8M), Punisher (11.2M), Jessica Jones (10.8M), then Runaways (9.6M), Luke Cage (9.2M), Iron Fist (6.3M) and Inhumans (5.9M).  That points towards Runaway being in jeopardy at Hulu if the second season does not catch fire.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:27:20 PM by jgsugden »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1568 on: November 16, 2018, 08:50:02 PM

I've seen Parrot Analytics come up in articles about other shows recently and tried to do some research on what their demand rankings actually mean. Man that shit looks like a mess that's intentionally so complicated people can't tell how meaningless it actually is.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1569 on: November 16, 2018, 09:13:56 PM

It's kind of hard to make any sort of analytics when places like Netflix don't even tell their showrunners how well the shows do.  why so serious?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1570 on: November 16, 2018, 10:33:12 PM

Ah.  Data does not conform to your world view, so it must be faulty/unreliable/biased/republican.  Got it.

Direct Netflix data is not disclosed.  Indirect Netflix data is out there, and pretty consistent across differing sources. 

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1571 on: November 16, 2018, 10:47:35 PM

I'll tell you what, I'm going to give you some data of my own. I'm about 98% fucking positive that you posted those "most-in demand" stats a couple posts up without having the slightest idea what unit of measurement those numbers represent or how they're calculated.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1572 on: November 17, 2018, 09:20:57 AM

Yeah I tried to drill down into Parrot Analytics and there is so much proprietary secret sauce there it's pretty much just "Trust us, we're professionals."

That said, they are professionals, and I would be surprised if studies like this are not the actual reason AoS got a cancellation reprieve. (Also, it's interesting that you need a study now to figure out what's really popular or not, but then it's better than depending on the horribly inaccurate Nelsons.)

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed. I thought AoS ended pretty well, with maybe a short Epilogue acceptable. I'd hate to see it do an X-Files/Walking Dead and wear out its welcome.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 07:51:42 PM by Mandella »
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1573 on: November 17, 2018, 09:54:31 AM

I'll tell you what, I'm going to give you some data of my own. I'm about 98% fucking positive that you posted those "most-in demand" stats a couple posts up without having the slightest idea what unit of measurement those numbers represent or how they're calculated.
Only that they're intended to represent demand and that they're used widely.  Which is fucking enough.

As for why it was renewed... Channing Dungey stepped down a few days later. That was likely one factor.  I'm betting she pushed this through before her tenure ended - something many higher ups do as their last acts.  Sort of a Presidential Pardon.  I think the timing just lined up so that she could do it. 

What is more curious to me is what this means for the Marvel show she was championing that Marvel would not let her discuss... yet.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1574 on: November 17, 2018, 12:04:52 PM

I appreciate your honesty in admitting you don't actually know what those numbers represent. And no, the data doesn't actually measure "demand".
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  
Jump to: