Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Useless comics news, discussions, and recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless comics news, discussions, and recommendations  (Read 202471 times)
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: November 25, 2013, 07:42:12 PM

Anyone like the latest Guardians of the Galaxy? It doesn't seem to be as good as the previous version.

Bendis.

But isn't he the reason there are a billion different Avengers books now? Of course I also dislike Millar so there you go.
 I can't say I ever liked his stuff. I've only read the dissambled storyline recently, a few New Avengers, and GotG. None of it IMO is bad, it's just that none of it is any good.

Speaking of the Avengers: is there a different theme in them or what? Assembled seems to be like a random team up book. Which one has Captain Marvel?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #176 on: November 25, 2013, 07:50:35 PM

New Avengers is basically Illuminati. Avengers is the other Hickman cosmic book - Capt. Marvel sometimes shows up. Avengers Assemble is a kind of team-up Avengers book. Uncanny Avengers is the most "Avengers" like book out there, IMO.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: November 26, 2013, 05:37:54 AM

I thought the original explanation for the Infinity stones were they were the Shattered parts of the soul of the original creator of the universe.

Of course, that made about as much sense as the new explanation so...

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #178 on: November 26, 2013, 08:30:19 AM

You know, it's funny trying to figure out which characters go in which books these days. Basically, if you are a super hero in the Marvel Universe and you aren't on Cyclops' X-Men team, you are or probably have been at one time a goddamn Avenger and may appear as such in any one of 4 Avengers books.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: November 27, 2013, 08:25:08 AM

All the cross-overs are meant to pull people into new titles - but it had the opposite effect on me.  I was collecting about half of the Marvel titles in 1991 and quit cold turkey when I started to see too many times I felt like I had to buy comics from the 'other half' to keep up with the characters from my favotite titles. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: December 10, 2013, 12:37:04 PM

All the cross-overs are meant to pull people into new titles - but it had the opposite effect on me.  I was collecting about half of the Marvel titles in 1991 and quit cold turkey when I started to see too many times I felt like I had to buy comics from the 'other half' to keep up with the characters from my favotite titles. 

The lesson I learned was that most crossover stuff outside of the main story arc could be safely ignored.

In related news, IMO Infinity was pure crap. Maybe in this case I should have read the crossover stuff.  why so serious?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #181 on: December 18, 2013, 12:39:53 PM

There's a funny moment in the latest Uncanny X-Men TPB (Magik) where Magik visits Dr Strange in the past and mentions he's an Avenger (indirectly) and he makes a comment about not being able to conceive of a situation where that would happen.

I'm still reading that series, and the new TPB has some really nice art, best in the series thus far. Still with Thor, Deadpool, Superior Spidey and a couple others. I think Spidey is close to the shark, he recently added some doc-ock-like backpack with cyborg arms that's a bit much, as well as his patrolling mechs and henchman army...I liked it more when he was just a twisted hero but basically still just Spidey++. Some nice art, though. Thor is still killing it for comic art.

Speaking of art, Frank Cho is running a KS for a 'how to draw hot chicks' book. Flesk publishing is solid, I have the Brom compilation they KS'd.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: December 31, 2013, 12:35:27 AM

So I torrented the hell out of New Avengers and it wasn't worth the cost.  why so serious? I don't hate Bendis but he's not good.

I'm downloading Secret Avengers now. Someone tell me it's better.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #183 on: December 31, 2013, 02:12:32 AM

Secret Avengers is MUCH better. It gets a bit weird near the end when Remender takes over, but it is much better than any of the Bendis Avengers stuff.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: December 31, 2013, 10:27:08 AM

I'm cool with Ultimate and CU Fury but they really turn regular Fury into Samuel Jackson? LOL did they make him lose a bet with Mephisto or did his mom get shot with time bullets?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #185 on: December 31, 2013, 10:31:35 PM

I'm cool with Ultimate and CU Fury but they really turn regular Fury into Samuel Jackson? LOL did they make him lose a bet with Mephisto or did his mom get shot with time bullets?

No, it's Fury's bastard black son that he never told anybody about but turned into a super badass soldier then when Fury's enemies found out about him, he was given the infinity serum that keeps Fury alive and became the new Nick Fury.

No, I'm not kidding.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: January 01, 2014, 03:55:12 PM

I just washed that out of my brain with Sandman Overture 1.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #187 on: January 01, 2014, 08:39:54 PM

So yes, Age of Ultron. What... the... fuck? That was fucking terribad. Like Moffat Timey-Wimey Useless Makes No Fucking Sense Terribad.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: January 02, 2014, 06:40:23 PM

The main logic of it seems to have been to launch a new book and a strategy to make more integrated use of some scrap intellectual property that was lying around via the "you broke time" conclusion.

Time travel has made for some fun stories in the Marvel U. but it's really become a problem.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: January 03, 2014, 10:55:55 AM

At first I thought Age of Ultron was going to be about them travelling back and forth through time and creating one messed up future (or present) after another, which might have been fun. They should have gone wild and given us half a dozen different timelines.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: January 07, 2014, 11:21:50 PM

I kept waiting for Young Avengers to get good but it never did imo. I suppose this is written for a younger generation or something.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: January 08, 2014, 07:21:58 AM

I liked it, but the story felt about 3-4 issues too long.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #192 on: January 08, 2014, 08:54:40 AM

Age of Ultron was fucking terribad. 10 issues where essentially nothing happened... except maybe something happened that might get explored in later stories somewhere else. It was the ultimate cocktease story. And wouldn't bringing the original X-Men to the present day have broken time more than whatever the fuck happened there? And the whole "I have to kill Wolverine in a cave thing" made no damn sense to me.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: January 12, 2014, 07:45:46 AM

Just got through reading Astro City: Dark Ages.  Love Letters
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: January 24, 2014, 03:05:08 PM

So I've been reading vanilla Avengers and Avengers World. I can't say I like Hickman.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #195 on: January 24, 2014, 06:07:51 PM

Hawkeye continues to deliver. I wasn't so sure about Kate, but I'm sold now after this last issue.

Of all the books on my pull list, this is the one that I'm glad I've been collecting since issue #1. It'll be worth something never, but it'll always be a priceless set for me.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #196 on: February 13, 2014, 04:52:47 AM

A few days old, but a Preacher TV series is in the works with AMC and Sony Pictures Television. Didn't want to make a thread in the TV forum because while this seems like it's much more solid than all of false starts Preacher has had in the past as far as movie and TV deals go, it's still obviously a ways off without much to discuss yet. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are writing and producing it along with one of Breaking Bad's producers Sam Catlin. Garth Ennis seems to be fairly happy with the deal also. Obviously HBO probably would have been more ideal. While AMC does some great TV, they'll have to ease back on the swearing a bit and the much bigger possible issue I could think of would be AMC execs trying to fuck with the budget on this (not sure if Sony, Rogan, and Goldberg's involvement helps negate that issue or not or who is paying for what as far as development goes).
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: February 19, 2014, 08:30:44 AM

Avengers World #3: First Hickman comic I've liked. Where's this guy been?
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: February 27, 2014, 11:11:41 PM

I really like UA, so I'm surprised I found people on the net who think Remender is the worst Marvel writer. Personally I think he's my third fave right now, behind the writers of Thor and Captain Marvel.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #199 on: February 28, 2014, 08:15:34 AM

I liked Uncanny Avengers at the start, but when they brought in the Akkaba and Apocalypse Twins as villains, it took a step down. The holdover stuff from his run on X-Force has been kind of meh.

I started reading Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy. He really does know how to suck every single ounce of fun out of a set of characters doesn't he?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: February 28, 2014, 08:54:14 AM

I feel the same way about Uncanny Avengers--Remender needs to find some new narratives and situations to work. I particularly have found the long arc of working "Wolverine must pay for being a killer" a mess. Not the least because of how completely impossible it is to reconcile with the surprisingly engaging reworking of Wolverine over in Wolverine and the X-Men.

I think Marvel needs a serious long-term moratorium on alternate-reality, time-travel based stories for a good while. They really are being used as a crutch by writers who desperately want to tell stories in which the characters evolve and change but where they know that the reset button is waiting to undo everything they've done.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: February 28, 2014, 02:00:35 PM

I started reading Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy. He really does know how to suck every single ounce of fun out of a set of characters doesn't he?

I really don't like Bendis, but I especially hate this new arc. It doesn't even make any sense for the Shiar to be doing what they are doing, although I admit I haven't read anything on the Xmen side. Does he explain it there?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #202 on: February 28, 2014, 09:26:53 PM

The Shiar had kind of become a vassal of the Kree if I remember right. I'm only 4 issues into Guardians so I'm not sure what they are doing that is out of character. But if it's written by Bendis, out of character is his middle name.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: March 01, 2014, 01:02:43 AM

The Shiar had kind of become a vassal of the Kree if I remember right. I'm only 4 issues into Guardians so I'm not sure what they are doing that is out of character. But if it's written by Bendis, out of character is his middle name.

Not so much out of character as stupid and redundant.

spoilering in case you don't want to know ahead of time:

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: March 01, 2014, 07:04:36 AM

I refuse to accept any Jean Grey retcons and just consider the entire Marvel Universe since 1986 to be an imaginary story.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: March 01, 2014, 08:01:07 AM

I refuse to accept any Jean Grey retcons and just consider the entire Marvel Universe since 1986 to be an imaginary story.

Yeah I don't care much to see Bucky and Osborn running around, not to mention Emma and Scott. Priest's Panther was the bee's knees though, and we wouldn't have DnA's GotG.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: March 07, 2014, 02:05:19 PM

I got the third tradeback collection thing for Captain Marvel, it seems to contain all the issues to follow the story from the first two collections, so good job whoever put those issues together into a book!

The story itself is good but bittersweet, but ends in the most adorable way possible so it isn't super depressing, which I am thankful for. I'm not sure what's next though, do I move onto the new Captain Marvel #1 now, or is there more to find in this arc?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: March 08, 2014, 04:56:25 AM

I'm not positive but I think I know what story you are referring to. After that ends IIRC it's Infinity tie in stuff, and the last issue IMO was the absolute worst of the bunch (although there is one really good moment between CM and the little girl).
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: March 08, 2014, 05:11:59 AM

Yeah, don't go any further, it just sort of whimpered and died.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #209 on: March 08, 2014, 02:36:09 PM

So the new Moon Knight book is actually pretty good so far. (Well, one whole issue.)

Ms. Marvel is also interesting, and I can ask a co-worker about the Urdu parts to see if the translations, etc. are right.

Hawkeye is still good.

I'm three issues into the new Punisher book. So far, not 100% sold, but I really need to find some good older stuff to get a better feel for the character overall.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Useless comics news, discussions, and recommendations  
Jump to: