Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:32:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Useless comics news, discussions, and recommendations 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless comics news, discussions, and recommendations  (Read 202518 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #105 on: September 09, 2013, 10:55:53 PM

Yes, to that last bit. It would be obnoxious as hell.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: September 10, 2013, 02:45:56 AM

I think the evolution of Cyclops makes tons of sense. What really annoyed me at the end of AvX was that he turned out be essentially right about the Phoenix but the framing of the story acted as if he had been wrong. But it didn't take Marvel very long before they realized that the new status quo was actually really interesting.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: September 10, 2013, 03:41:20 AM

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the "Ok I don't want Spider-man going through a divorce as that would be immoral and a bad example for kids, so we will just have him make a deal with the devil to erase his marriage and a chunk of time instead."

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #108 on: September 10, 2013, 07:42:43 AM

I'm sure no one has mentioned it because it was a horrible, shittastic editorial decision that was written in a ham-fisted way and invalidated decades worth of stories for no good goddamn reason. Also, because I could give two shits about Spider-Man in the comics.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: September 10, 2013, 09:31:23 AM

I'd be curious to see what each of you thought were some of the best runs in the past 10 years for characters that had been around since at least the 70s.  YOu can define a 'run' for these purposes (such as a period with a certain writer, a mega-event, a storyline, or anything else that makes sense to you).

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #110 on: September 10, 2013, 09:58:59 AM

I really loved Brian Michael Bendis's run on Daredevil, before he started shitting all over the entirety of the Marvel Universe. The Matt Fraction X-Men stuff I've been reading I'd put right up there with the Grant Morrison run of the same book and with Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. X-Force at least until the Second Coming storyline was fantastic. The original Runaways run was really good. I stopped reading it after Whedon got on the book, so I don't know if it got better or worse.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #111 on: September 10, 2013, 12:00:46 PM

I liked Geoff Johns runs on JSA and Green Lantern. About the only time I've ever really followed any ongoing DC books for any length of time. Brubaker's Captain America stuff was good until they got to the whole Cap was shot with time bullets thing. Currently enjoying Hawkeye and the current Hulk book. I agree with pretty much all the X-men stuff Haemish mentioned. I really liked Thunderbolts from the start of the series up through the end of Ellis' short run. Peter David's run on X-Factor which is just ending is really good (although I'm way behind on reading it). Planet Hulk was entertaining stuff. Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, and Guardians of the Galaxy were awesome although the quality dropped off a little bit for War of Kings and Thanos Imperative. I think that's my main list as far as stuff that fills jgsugden's criteria goes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #112 on: September 10, 2013, 01:41:42 PM

I could give two shits about Spider-Man in the comics.
This is how I felt until Superior Spiderman. One of my favorite books now.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: September 10, 2013, 07:59:06 PM

Annihilation and most of its sequels as well as the Guardians book and Nova were thoroughly enjoyable.

Even with its rocky parts, I largely enjoyed Morrison's run on Batman into pre-reboot Batman Inc.

Azzarello and Chiang's Doctor Thirteen was terrific.

Planetary concluded in 2009 despite beginning in 1999 so I'll count that.

Rucka and Brubaker's Gotham Central.

Ellis and Immonen's Nextwave. So great.

I love Alan Moore's Top Ten, not sure how old that is now, almost more than I love some of his more celebrated stuff.

Weirdly, Avengers Academy. I thought that was great solid superhero comics.

Gail Simone's Secret Six, though it was uneven and repetitious by the end of its run.

Brubaker's Captain America surprised me considering how much I previously found the character dull.

Brubaker's Catwoman.

Brubaker's Sleeper.

Brubaker and Fraction on Iron Fist.

I at least liked Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. I know some people don't.

Jason Aaron on Ghost Rider, surprised me, thought that was a terrible character normally.

Ellis on Thunderbolts. Short but brutally wonderful.

All-Star Superman is last decade, right? Fucking amazing.

Is Bone last decade? Cause that is an all-time favorite here.

Darwyn Cooke, New Frontier.

Morrison and Quitely, We3

I love, love, love Atomic Robo

Not sure if the Foglio's Girl Genius counts but I'll go ahead and toss it in. Really great, so happy to pay for it when the collected editions come out.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: September 11, 2013, 08:07:53 AM

I could give two shits about Spider-Man in the comics.
This is how I felt until Superior Spiderman. One of my favorite books now.

Its the love of asshole villains posing as self-righteous heroes. Like Constantine or any number anti-heroes/really just villains by any other costume.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: September 11, 2013, 09:27:52 AM

I read it as a bit deeper than posing. Otto is actually trying to be a hero, and he's better at it, more focused. Just got shipping notice for the second TPB.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: September 11, 2013, 09:56:06 AM

I think its posing primarily because otto doesn't know what being a hero actually means. To him his war on crime is merely a matter of challenge, he could just as easily turn his army of spider-henchmen, surveillance spider-bots, and killer-spider bots on the whole of new york without skipping a beat. The fact that he hasn't is merely due to not running out of super-villains.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #117 on: September 13, 2013, 06:18:45 PM

Yes, but he also gets to be better at being Peter, too. Going evil would fuck that up for him. He is trying to outdo his arch nemesis in every way possible. 

In related news, Superior Foes of Spider-Man is pretty funny and decent so far.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: September 13, 2013, 07:07:00 PM

There have been arcs on Thunderbolts that did this concept right too--villains going hero, villains almost going hero, villains briefly toying with going hero, villains accidentally being heroes....lots of fun, interesting variations on it. Dark Avengers was ultimately a more interesting extension of this also than I expected.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #119 on: September 13, 2013, 10:09:29 PM

I thought Dark Avengers was an utter waste of time and characters that would have been better as villains. The whole Dark Reign thing was exceedingly stupid. As always with Bendis, there were a few funny lines but ultimately the story went full retard, especially as it bled into Siege.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: September 14, 2013, 04:52:42 AM

The Siege part was actively bad and Bendis really was just ripping off the good work Ellis had done on Thunderbolts, but there were moments.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #121 on: October 09, 2013, 01:51:46 AM

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/afterlife-archie-comics-veers-horror-063651934.html

In "Afterlife With Archie," a series debuting Wednesday, publisher Archie Comics is launching not just its first horror title, but also its first book carrying a rating for teens and older sold only in comic shops.

Those are evidenced in descriptions and images. In one panel, for example, Sabrina the Teenage Witch is clutching the fabled but dreaded "Necronomicon." In another, showing the gang at a party, Archie is dressed as Freddy Krueger from the "Nightmare on Elm Street" films.

"Sabrina? She's always messing up," Aguirre-Sacasa said, though in this case, the mistake has grave consequences for Jughead.

"He's always hungry," Aguirre-Sacasa said, a normal trait that portends doom by the end of the first issue, setting the stage for the second issue and beyond.

why so serious?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #122 on: October 09, 2013, 02:40:57 PM

The Siege part was actively bad and Bendis really was just ripping off the good work Ellis had done on Thunderbolts, but there were moments.

I reached the X-Men Schism - and holy fuck but this was a STUPID goddamn event. Just utterly, pants on head retarded. Wolverine's motivations make no fucking sense. NONE. Besides the fact that they are amping up Scott Summers douchebaginess, the whole conflict is so forced and out of the blue. And then, once Wolverine decides to head up the school, he still keeps his secret assassin squad X-Force on the side as well as being an Avenger in two goddamn books? I just cannot stress how fucking insane that is even in the Marvel Universe.

But at least the Wolverine and the X-Men book is well-written. The worst book to fall out of that has been X-Men Legacy which really should have been retitled Rogue and her X-Men. I love that they feature Rogue in a book. I hate that they've turned her into a weepy soap opera drama queen who shacks up with the almost impotent Magneto. Just as she's become a strong character in her own right, they give her high school relationship problems.

So I reached the Avengers Vs. X-Men stage and decided I'd go back and read the Avengers from the post-Siege onwards because fuck Siege was stupid and I'm not going farther back than that for now.

I fucking hate Bendis' Avengers so much. The overarching plots have good ideas but the panel to panel is so fucking bad. The dialogue, which works when 5 street level thugs are sitting around a card table before getting their asses kicked by Daredevil, so totally does not work in a huge, earth-shattering Avengers fight. I mean, there's a part in New Avengers where the dimension has been ripped open and is being invaded by demons, and Spider-Man, Thing and Ms. Marvel are all talking about how she hasn't seen Ghostbusters. REALLY? What is this, the waitress scene from fucking Reservoir Dogs? I'd hate to be his artist on this because there are always 3-4 pages in each issue with 10 superheroes standing around TALKING in the midst of a total shitstorm - just standing there rehashing the plot while quipping to each other in staccato sentences.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: October 09, 2013, 02:51:53 PM

That's a trend now in comics. DC does that with new 52 Justice League though that's more of a shouting match than anything considered witty.
schild
Administrator

Reply #124 on: October 09, 2013, 02:56:51 PM

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/afterlife-archie-comics-veers-horror-063651934.html

In "Afterlife With Archie," a series debuting Wednesday, publisher Archie Comics is launching not just its first horror title, but also its first book carrying a rating for teens and older sold only in comic shops.

Those are evidenced in descriptions and images. In one panel, for example, Sabrina the Teenage Witch is clutching the fabled but dreaded "Necronomicon." In another, showing the gang at a party, Archie is dressed as Freddy Krueger from the "Nightmare on Elm Street" films.

"Sabrina? She's always messing up," Aguirre-Sacasa said, though in this case, the mistake has grave consequences for Jughead.

"He's always hungry," Aguirre-Sacasa said, a normal trait that portends doom by the end of the first issue, setting the stage for the second issue and beyond.

why so serious?

Day 1.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: October 09, 2013, 05:41:07 PM

Archie Comics is embroiled in a REALLY nasty legal dispute right now. So if their imagination is going dark, I'm not all that surprised. The "what if Archie married Betty/Veronica" series has been surprisingly grown-up  (without being wink-wink nudge-nudge adult) and kind of moving.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #126 on: October 09, 2013, 06:58:34 PM

The "what if Archie married Betty/Veronica" series has been surprisingly grown-up  (without being wink-wink nudge-nudge adult) and kind of moving.

Bro, you're making me want to read those.
Are you sure it's that kind of 'moving'? Or is it another part of the body kind of moving?

ED: Just read the synopsis.
Well done. Comparable to most manga's romance.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 07:25:47 PM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #127 on: October 16, 2013, 06:51:24 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
The worst book to fall out of that has been X-Men Legacy which really should have been retitled Rogue and her X-Men.

X-Men Legacy is pretty great now. I am liking the series so far with the whole mental menagerie of David Haller. This last issue was pretty interesting; I've been generally impressed with what they're doing up thru issue 18.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: November 04, 2013, 06:06:28 PM

I torrented Miracleman the other day. Good stuff. The only problem is that I need a new monitor or new eyes because some pages were a tough read.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: November 04, 2013, 09:51:55 PM

Holy shitballs did All New X-Men hit a hard wall with the art in the last issue of TPB #3. Looks like that one is off the list.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: November 05, 2013, 12:57:00 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/books/marvel-comics-introducing-a-muslim-girl-superhero.html

That's kinda a big deal, isn't it? I wonder how much of it is about breaking new ground and how much is just making something to keep the Ms. Marvel trademark or however that works.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: November 05, 2013, 01:20:48 PM

Well, if they're willing to come at it straight up, her choosing the MS. Marvel moniker could be a pretty interesting bit of story fuel.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: November 05, 2013, 01:29:38 PM

What they mentioned in the article, is she is a Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) fan-girl, and takes up the Ms. Marvel title the same way Carol took up the name when Carol first got her powers.

Which I totally buy, a teenager naming themselves after their idol. You only have to log into any MMO ever to see all the XxXDarthBatMenXxX  why so serious?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #133 on: November 05, 2013, 01:36:18 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/books/marvel-comics-introducing-a-muslim-girl-superhero.html

That's kinda a big deal, isn't it? I wonder how much of it is about breaking new ground and how much is just making something to keep the Ms. Marvel trademark or however that works.

The character itself isn't really breaking any new ground in that Marvel has had teen female Muslim superheroes before (Dust and M). DC also introduced Simon Baz in Green Lantern last year which was also got picked up by the news as their first Muslim-American superhero. The more significant part is that the writer and editor are both Muslim so they should be able to more confidently write a Muslim character whereas with M it doesn't really factor into her character at all, and Dust has has rarely been used since New X-Men.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #134 on: November 07, 2013, 06:08:30 PM

For some reason, I stopped collecting Captain Marvel. I like the character, but there was some reason why.

I am a sucker for new books because I hope that they'll get back into the other comic that I had quit reading. Something tells me that I need to rethink my comics budget and only buy the ones that I must read each month (or that might not get a TPB).

Now that I think about it, trades are cheaper than single comics.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: November 07, 2013, 07:30:35 PM

That's all I ever buy, the bundles. I have the first two Captain Marvel ones, waiting on the third, though it's apparently some cross over arc nonsense, so I may have to find individual issues or something to fill the gaps. I dunno how it works, I never did!  why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: November 08, 2013, 12:03:59 PM

I've been strictly doing TPBs (and THBs?), too.

I enjoyed Cpt Marvel, both the story and the art, but never nabbed the second.

I've read a bunch and slacked off on reviews more or less. I'm down to a handful I'm still following, is there an easy way to preview the art for a given issue? Stuff like the art taking a bad turn in All New X-Men takes them off my list, but I don't know if they should ever go back on the list. Probably for the better (for my wallet).

Right now, off the top of my head; Thor, Sif, Deadpool, Superior Spidey, Uncanny X-Men, Indestructable Hulk, X-Men Legacy. Maybe Thunderbolts, Iron Man.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: November 09, 2013, 03:06:55 AM

I torrented Miracleman the other day. Good stuff. The only problem is that I need a new monitor or new eyes because some pages were a tough read.

A great story. I read that as it actually came out, first of all in a black and white anthology comic called Warrior. When you come to the cliffhangar involving a dog, it originally took about three years for the next episode to appear.

After the Alan Moore stuff you get some fairly early non-Sandman Gaiman stuff, which is interesting. Supposedly his story, which was cut off suddenly in 1994, might finally now be completed.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #138 on: November 16, 2013, 05:31:00 PM

Finished Avengers vs. X-Men - which was probably one of the better universe-spanning crossovers Marvel has done since the Bendis era began. Of course, the premise was utterly idiotic (Scott Summers would NEVER accept the Phoenix Force, no matter how far down the extinction ladder the mutants were) and the end result was just as out of character as the premise. But the middle parts were pretty good. And it led to Uncanny Avengers, which through the 7 issues I've read so far has been outstanding. It's really Rick Remender's continuation of the stuff he was doing in Uncanny X-Force but it's good. Doesn't hurt that it's had good artists so far.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: November 16, 2013, 05:38:09 PM

Finished Avengers vs. X-Men - which was probably one of the better universe-spanning crossovers Marvel has done since the Bendis era began. Of course, the premise was utterly idiotic (Scott Summers would NEVER accept the Phoenix Force, no matter how far down the extinction ladder the mutants were

I'm really not getting why I should care whether mutants are going extinct. Are they sterile? Ok, that may be a big deal, but if they can have kids with themselves or normal humans then meh. It's not like Earth is going to run out of super-powered beings any time soon.  why so serious?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Useless comics news, discussions, and recommendations  
Jump to: