Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:41:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: ~ D&M Open III ~ Interest Check - possible rules discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ~ D&M Open III ~ Interest Check - possible rules discussion  (Read 25200 times)
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: April 16, 2013, 10:50:43 AM

Personally, I feel that losing Blood Bowl is much more aggravating than winning is fun. It's not that I can't deal with losing and it's definitely not that I feel the dice are screwing me out of games I should be winning. In fact, it's the opposite. I've been trained to believe that in any competitive game the law of large numbers eventually wins out and the more skilled player will win. But Blood Bowl's randomness sits in this weird sweet spot where the random events happen often enough that I feel one game should generally be enough to make everything shake out, but still impactful enough that a little streakiness can make all of your plans go to shit. And as far as f13 goes I'm a solidly middle-of-the-pack coach, so I assume that whenever I lose it's because I got outplayed and whenever I win it's because of the dice. All of my "check out this awesome thing I did" moments are undermined because I know they only happened thanks to rolling three 6's and a 4.

Frankly, I've considered taking a break for each of the last few seasons. Something makes me keep coming back and I have no idea what it is.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: April 16, 2013, 11:30:08 AM

The biggest challenge to fun is simply that this is 1v1 PvP game. Nowhere to hide, no cooperative play, definitive loser (sometimes 2) after each match.

Can you how long an f13 chess league would last?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #72 on: April 16, 2013, 11:41:46 AM

Can you how long an f13 chess league would last?

Based on MMO history, about 1 month.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: April 16, 2013, 12:09:14 PM

But in that month everyone would say it was the best thing ever!   Ohhhhh, I see.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 16, 2013, 12:31:27 PM

Getting back to D&M, I'm torn between a new team and playing something I have on file.  I can't decide between giving Goblins or Halflings a go (now that I'm a little older, and a little wiser), or trying Agility bullshit again.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #75 on: April 16, 2013, 12:32:24 PM

But in that month everyone would say it was the best thing ever!   Ohhhhh, I see.

Depends. if Cyanide made the client, there'd be a random bug where one side could start with 3 queens or your knights might go missing. The UI would be a confusing mess, the auto camera would give you vertigo and you might accidentally click the button to end your turn while trying to look at the last row on the board. Also if you disconnected there would be no way to resume the game later.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #76 on: April 16, 2013, 12:32:34 PM

All I know is I'm not playing my damn Khemri.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 16, 2013, 12:38:03 PM

I was thinking of elves but I started a high elf team in the Forum Open League and it has been brutal.  Three dead elves in the first three games, bleuargh.  The opponents are remarkably good, though.   So good practice, but painful.

Maybe I should dust off the Golden Hamsters.  We always need more rats.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #78 on: April 16, 2013, 01:33:42 PM

I'd love to play with the Emperors again, but my veteran blitzers are mostly dead now, and I'm not sure if I want to rebuild.  I've been futzing around with a Khorne team lately.  I'm really impressed with some of their pieces.  Developing a stable of Bloodletters with all of their advancement options sounds like a lot of fun.  I'm still sad that the team didn't at least get mutation access on doubles, but oh well.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #79 on: April 16, 2013, 01:50:17 PM

Honestly I am starting to lean towards the 'fresh teams' idea for this iteration, after the mostly brutal welcome our new players have had in the regular season. Give them a chance to build something up without as much pressure.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 17, 2013, 05:34:44 AM

I'm almost certain the rule is going to be...

'Doesn't have to be brand new but no more than a handful of random matches - don't be a dick and put your 30 match veterans in'

I'm probably going to use my 3 match old dark elves.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #81 on: April 17, 2013, 09:12:47 AM

BLOOD BOWL NEEDS FRESH BLOOD TO REPLACE SJOFN (down for a freshish team)
willisterman
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: April 17, 2013, 12:40:19 PM

I'd probably join too, though the idea of only one of each type of team worries me.  I'd hate to get stuck with halflings or something like that...
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #83 on: April 17, 2013, 01:02:11 PM

Pretty sure we're not going that route.  Leagues that do that sort of thing also usually rule out the joke teams.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #84 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:31 PM

I'm up to play, still undecided. Definitely not humans though. Fresh team of something not human. Maybe skavens.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 20, 2013, 09:07:55 AM

I've decided not to take part in this after all  Ohhhhh, I see.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: April 21, 2013, 07:12:21 PM

I've decided not to take part in this after all  Ohhhhh, I see.
Heartbreak
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 26, 2013, 12:16:36 PM

We're going with "New or nearly teams, don't be a dick about it."

Now post in the other thread.

stabby the mime
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 27, 2013, 06:14:41 PM

Hmm. Interesting thing y'all have got going here. Quite interesting indeed.

Oh, yes. Hello, first time poster, lurked for five minutes or something like that. Heard there some Blood Bowl playing around these parts, and, as I didn't want to sully the more official looking sign up thread just yet, I was hoping to pop in for a moment to see if no one would mind if little ol' me could come in and play. True, there is the 'Who's Who' thread up at the top of the stickies, but that would be a little presumptuous to be posting in there, no?

Think that sums it up really, just curious if this is an established Gentleman's Club or if any straggler could walk in from the cold and enjoy a game or thirteen. If it's the latter, well I guess I've got a bunch of cupcake lovin' High Elves that I can transfer* over, if the former... well... then.... I guess awkwardness would ensue. I can do awkward.

(* and by transfer I mean start over from scratch. Not to worry, I have read over the house rules, and I doubt I can do as bad with them starting out as I did the first time. The elves I mean, not the rules. *whistles*)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:17:41 PM by stabby the mime »
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 28, 2013, 12:57:19 AM

You can start by posting a pic of a guy fingering a girls forehead stabby

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 28, 2013, 03:40:56 AM

Blood god demands more blood!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: April 28, 2013, 05:42:50 AM

New players very welcome. Once you submit a team to the feeder league (see feeder league thread) make sure you post name etc, so that the feeder league approval people know you are legit.

stabby the mime
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: April 29, 2013, 06:19:18 PM

You can start by posting a pic of a guy fingering a girls forehead stabby

Well that's nice and simple way to get in. Question, is this a specific image that we're talking about, or can I pick any within the subgenre of.... actually, what would that qualify under?

Okay, serious hat is on, and I will definitely drop a line to properly warn the feeder league grand poobah of my impending arrival onto the premises, figure a quick note in both the Who' Who & General Feeder league thread would be a safe bet? Well, after I do whip up a fresh batch of blood sacrifices players that is.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #93 on: April 29, 2013, 06:40:42 PM

Sounds good to me.  I or Lamaros can approve your team pretty quickly.  Just let us know what your coach name is so we don't confuse you with the riffraff.  Also, remember to join the f13 Bloodbowlers Steam group.  That's one of the primary ways in which we coordinate matches.

Speaking of which, I need to get three or so games in before the D&M starts.  Any takers this Thursday or on the weekend?

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #94 on: April 29, 2013, 07:00:04 PM

Sounds good to me.  I or Lamaros can approve your team pretty quickly.  Just let us know what your coach name is so we don't confuse you with the riffraff.  Also, remember to join the f13 Bloodbowlers Steam group.  That's one of the primary ways in which we coordinate matches.

Speaking of which, I need to get three or so games in before the D&M starts.  Any takers this Thursday or on the weekend?
I'll be up for it. Ping me on Steam.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: April 29, 2013, 07:03:49 PM

likewise
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #96 on: April 29, 2013, 07:05:45 PM

Awesome.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: April 29, 2013, 07:44:17 PM

Blood god demands more blood!

This is why we need more gore pic, stabby.
Anyways, I'm in. Will submit a team when I get home tonight.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:46:28 PM by rk47 »

stabby the mime
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: April 30, 2013, 02:12:42 PM

Cool beans. Just applied to the (hopefully right) league, High Elven team coached by a fool named stabby to be specifc. Will quickly post the full details of my person in the who's who thread now.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #99 on: May 01, 2013, 06:02:48 AM

You're approved.  Play away.  And sign up for the D&M tournament; we need more people to beat up.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: ~ D&M Open III ~ Interest Check - possible rules discussion  
Jump to: