Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:34:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this game dead or?  (Read 382612 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1050 on: July 23, 2014, 08:50:04 PM

I think its 800 for 10 euros. You can trade gold for Gems in game as well, but the price fluctuates a lot.

*edit* yeah, its 10 dollars OR 10 Euros for 800. They make more from my purchase  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:53:26 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1051 on: July 23, 2014, 09:01:49 PM

Suckeeeeeeer.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1052 on: July 23, 2014, 09:18:54 PM

You might think so, I could not possibly comment.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Anyway, for a further comparison, right now 200 gems would cost you around 23 gold.

And I really don't begrudge them charging a little for the content, to be honest. They have to eat.

Hic sunt dracones.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: July 24, 2014, 04:42:35 AM

The problem is they are missing the whole point of people complaining about the live content going away.  While some people who regularly did have complaints about not being able to log in at one time or another, the major turnoff was to people who hadn't played in a while who might come back because of all the new content (and the lack of new content is a huge factor for people who stopped playing, at least from my friends who hadn't logged in in a while).

They are making it so the longer I wait to come back, the more expensive it becomes and thus the less likely i'll come back, when in reality if the content was free I'd probably come back at the end of the season and probably spend the same amount of gems on gold and other stuff anyways, but the fact that it's forcing me just to see the content makes me just want to play the content I already have in my library.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1054 on: July 24, 2014, 06:41:29 AM

Disagree. You have to log in for literally 30 seconds at any time during the two week period to unlock it for free. You can log in, unlock, and then do it three years later if you want. They charge for just about nothing needed. We don't complain (much) about having to catch up on much more expensive expansion cycles if we've been away for awhile; I don't see why this is a dealbreaker.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1055 on: July 24, 2014, 07:43:20 AM

If it's so easily bypassed, why put it in there at all?

It's not like I can't afford it either. I have enough gold to make it pretty easy.  However, I logged on, saw it was blocked behind 200 gems, and then promptly logged off again.  It's a turn off and a deterrent to someone who was thinking of playing.  This was the perfect time to get me back (just finished Divinity OS and Wildstar before that).  I even buy gems from time to time.  awesome, for real

Someone bump this damn post every time they update.

-Rasix
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: July 24, 2014, 02:44:04 PM

Disagree. You have to log in for literally 30 seconds at any time during the two week period to unlock it for free. You can log in, unlock, and then do it three years later if you want. They charge for just about nothing needed. We don't complain (much) about having to catch up on much more expensive expansion cycles if we've been away for awhile; I don't see why this is a dealbreaker.

My gaming rig has 128gb SSD.  Between Windows and the games I"m actually playing I don't have much room to keep a game on there just so I can randomly log in *if I even remember* just so that in a few months when I cycle back to it I don't have to pay a bunch of money just to try new content. 

Also, I haven't logged in in at least 8 months because I gave up on the live content due to not being able to play at opportune times and uninstalled the game.  Even if I had the space to spare they haven't given me enough incentive to spend the time downloading the client just so i can be prepared to play their game in the future without feeling like I'm getting nickeled and dimed.  I'd rather wait and download it (and deal with it) when I'm actually in the mood to play the game.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: July 24, 2014, 04:55:52 PM

Its hardly "A bunch of money" It works out at 2.50 per episode. So, if they put out 8 episodes (which will take them 4 months) you will be forking over 20 quid for 4 months content. IF you CHOSE to play the content. And unlike the Personal story you can replay the missions you like as often as you want. AND you don't have to pay for the episodes all at once either like a boxed expansion. 2.50 a week to progress the story at a slow pace is hardly going to break the bank.

Really, I don't understand what the hell the big deal is here. There's a lot worse DLC bullshit stuff going on out there than this. AND they haven't charged regular players for it, which is a bloody good deal compared with "OUR WOW EXPANSIONS WILL BLOT OUT THE SUN." If they were charging everyone for Living story 2 people would be up in arms, but its "Waa I'm sad cause a game I never play anymore but which has no sub fees is putting shit out that I will have to pay for if I ever bother playing again and if I want to play it waaa"

Plus I think the slow release is neatly solving the "WAA I PLAYED THROUGH YOUR SHIT EXPANSION THAT YOU WORKED ON FOR MONTHS IN 15 HOURS YOU ALL SUCK THERE'S NO CONTENT IN YOUR GAME!!" poobsokker problem.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1058 on: July 24, 2014, 10:15:06 PM

I think it's a fine compromise, personally, although I can definitely understand being annoyed because you feel like you're being fined $2.50 because you didn't log in during a particular two week period. But for me, I just wish they had been doing something like this from the beginning.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1059 on: July 25, 2014, 04:50:24 AM

*shrug*

Like you said, it's not a lot which means I'd probably spend that money on other items if I found myself having fun in the game again.  But since that $2.50 can easily add up to $10-15 for a full season of content, which easily adds up to many much bigger bouts of new content I can get from a new AAA game on steam. 

Btw, I also don't participate in DLC unless it's bundled during a sale, mostly because individually they don't usually offer that much content for hte price.

But whatever.  I do actually have the idea for a while to start playing again, I just don't have the time to dedicate it at the moment and the idea that I already missed a bunch of new content, and the other new content I'm in the process of missing I'd have to pay to experience even though most people got it for free doesn't really give me that much incentive.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1060 on: July 25, 2014, 07:50:02 AM

What parts do you pay for? Just the 'story' stuff? Isn't Drytop and the events going on their part of the world now? If it's just the story stuff you pay for Youtube will get you through that no problem. So far there hasn't really been anything in the world that I felt was something I would miss out on by not doing. I guess if you were after achievements that would be a bit of an incentive.

I was trying to make one of the new Ambrite weapons until I realized I had to grind for geodes for it and hope we got to at least Tier 4.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1061 on: July 25, 2014, 12:33:36 PM

Playing Wildstart made me really miss GW2. I'm thinking about picking it up again. I basically havent played since like 4 months after release, and a super brief stint like 9 months ago.

Can anyone give a short state of the game and class balance right now, also would this be good time to come back to it?
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: July 25, 2014, 04:42:10 PM

Class balancing was pretty timid so I don't think that much changed in how the classes play.

Their new content is fairly challenging so aimed at the end-game crowd, reasonably entertaining and they're still quite good at building worlds. It's an interesting, but really slow, evolution of their world events idea. From the original "one event, one time, one place" which was dumb, to the "event area for period of time" which was wasteful and now to more permanent addition to the endgame. It's sort of where they should have been at launch but oh well.

They've still gone virtually no where with the "zone meta-event" idea and class/gameplay/temp-skills evolution has been stagnant.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1063 on: July 25, 2014, 05:40:41 PM

Mechanically the game is in a very good state right now. I was listening on TS during the recent queens jubilee event and people were saying that the game has never been better in terms of gameplay, and no-one was really disagreeing.  The Megaservers ensure that maps are generally full of people so, yeah, its a good time to give it a whirl again. You wont run from the screen screaming at least.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1064 on: July 26, 2014, 04:40:47 PM

http://dulfy.net/2014/07/25/gw2-upcoming-changes-to-engineer-and-ranger/

Upcoming changes to engineer and ranger. Some good stuff.

Hic sunt dracones.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1065 on: July 28, 2014, 02:02:23 PM

I'm happy they fixed the Ranger Signet nonsense, but I'm also frustrated because it took them nearly two fucking years to make that change. Something that anyone could've seen as stupid and broken after playing with it for all of five minutes.

Now if we can convince them to make the arrow speed talent default LB behavior so you can get pierce+range+flightspeed together at the same time. Well see you in two years I guess.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: July 29, 2014, 06:30:49 AM

The class design team for GW2 has never been good. It's probably because the lead guy is a clicker.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1067 on: July 29, 2014, 02:09:40 PM

Well, they deserve props for trying to get away from the usual "tank damage healer" shit that every WOW clode uses.

Anyway. Ep 3 Debuted few hours ago. Unfortunately, it has a few bugs.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Chief among them is a howler that I cant really blame Anet for as it would be impossible to test before the thing went live. As part of the story you hop over to Iron marches and have to talk to an NPC who goes on patrol with you to kill plants. HOWEVER what happened today is that THE ZERG degended on Iron marches and the NPC like the Legions of Darkness and started talking to the NPC. The PROBLEM is that if everyone talks to her she never gets to the phase where she drops flamethrowers and gets moving. And when nothing happened Gamers started poking her like anal retentive OCD nerds. AND of course the trolls appeared not 10 mins after the patch telling everyone to keep talking to her over and over and she will work. One even claimed when I started telling him to shut up that he had seen this in a youtube vid (20 minutes after the patch, yeah right)

So the only way around this is to wander off and wait till the OCD Zerg decides to strain its way through the event. So cya late tonight lads...

Hic sunt dracones.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1068 on: July 29, 2014, 05:43:03 PM

Someone bump this damn post every time they update.

I'm opted into their promotional emails and it sends an email every time they update the story.  That might help remind you to log in, if you're interested.  Today's email was titled "Log In Today for The Dragon’s Reach: Part 1! "
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1069 on: July 29, 2014, 11:37:09 PM

Yeah the emails are pretty handy for knowing when an update happens, and that's basically the only kind I ever get from them (except for that one time where they were teaching me that running out of health is bad and I should avoid that).

The update today was pretty unstable, I actually decided to play for a little bit and I got disconnected a bunch of times to cure me of that.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1070 on: July 30, 2014, 08:15:31 AM

Well, they deserve props for trying to get away from the usual "tank damage healer" shit that every WOW clode uses.

No they don't, not when they did an awful job of it. It can't work in a DIKU based game anyway, plus people like having roles to play in these games.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: July 30, 2014, 08:24:35 AM

Mmmm, yeah despite mi comments giving them a pass on yesterdays update, I cant really on todays. Basically the issue in iron marches is fixed but later you are sent to frostgorge sound, which waves an old repeating event into the new story. Not necessarily a bad thing to so in theory. Unfortunately that event has now been upscaled so much because of the amount of people that are doing it all of a sudden that it seems to have broken. My guess due to a bug that never happened before as only a few people ever did that event at once.

Hic sunt dracones.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: August 01, 2014, 12:58:21 PM

It would have been better if they'd actually, you know, replaced it with something instead of just "lol dunno just kite?"

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: August 01, 2014, 01:09:00 PM

As much as I think the so called 'trinity' is stale and needs to be replaced with something better, I'll take it over yakety sax any day.

Over and out.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: August 04, 2014, 07:48:34 AM

As much as I think the so called 'trinity' is stale and needs to be replaced with something better, I'll take it over yakety sax any day.

You're never going to replace the trinity, ever. You can play semantic games with it but in a game that is group based with stuff that does damage you're always going to have one group of people be "front line" and take/avoid/block damage or occupy the bad guys in some fashion, you're always going to have people doing damage (maybe it's a secondary role to tanking and supporting), and you're always going to have people supporting (healing, buffs, debuffs, utility whatever).
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1075 on: August 04, 2014, 07:57:21 AM

No, but it does require making encounters something other than a stock tank-and-spank.  If you get rid of the Trinity you have to get rid of bosses the Trinity would fight.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1076 on: August 04, 2014, 09:23:25 AM

There are a few GW2 bosses that kindasorta get non-trinity gameplay right, like the Iron Forgeman. For 99% of the GW2 dungeons I did, instead of the trinity, everyone had to follow these simple rules:
1] maximize deeps (both yours and the group's via boons etc)
2] know every single mechanic by heart (trash included) as well as all the shortcuts/bugs/exploits in the current dungeon
3] don't get hit, ever (sidestepping, dodging, immunity abilities)

It's basically five people spamming damage into enemies while avoiding the avoidable mechanics and maybe managing defiance stacks (I'm not impressed with that btw, COH did it much better -- even on high-end boss enemies). To be fair, GW1 dungeons were even worse.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:25:06 AM by Zetor »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1077 on: August 04, 2014, 09:32:39 AM

I'm not sure I agree that GW1 dungeons were worse. If nothing else, there was a sort of fun game in trying to build a party of 7 heroes + character to the point where they could beat that stuff.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: August 04, 2014, 09:41:00 AM

I'm not sure I agree that GW1 dungeons were worse. If nothing else, there was a sort of fun game in trying to build a party of 7 heroes + character to the point where they could beat that stuff.
Well yeah, but for the most part they were just pure chaos that resolved itself with player input being restricted to "don't overaggro" and "ctrl-space to call targets for the heroes to nuke" (after the 7-hero patch, that is). I soloed most of the (non-elite) dungeons while picking up the HOM points, and the only time it felt somewhat engaging was doing a Glint solo run when I had to intercept multiple enemy groups while making sure that my team can stay alive. Even then, it felt a lot more like an RTS than anything else, and I hate hate hate RTS. edit: the only good solo pve in GW1 was probably fighting the War in Kryta enemies who actually used their abilities in a way that was somewhat dangerous and required more attention than 'focus fire, kill, next'.

I was more referring to the elite dungeons though (which seem to be what they were trying to 'improve' in GW2). I did a guild run of Sorrow's Furnace way-back-when, and all I remember was a terrible, terrible slog that could get RNG'd at crucial times (like when defending the cleric for a section). There wasn't much in terms of tactics either, it was just pushing buttons like crazy, trying to focus fire, and hoping the enemy didn't all gang up on someone and one-shot them (or that we had a prot monk with superhuman reflexes).

It's strange because GW1's story missions were really fun to play with my guild, even when we were using henchies... heck, we still have several injokes about Alesia, Orion, Rurik, Devona, and their capability to be useless and/or failboat in amusing ways!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:44:31 AM by Zetor »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: August 04, 2014, 11:03:03 AM

GW1 was more about building a team that would compliment one another, but being able to use heroes and not depend upon anyone else was a huge help in that regard.  GW2 doesn't really have that option as NPCs would be slaughtered no matter how finely tuned you made their abilities.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1080 on: August 04, 2014, 02:07:36 PM

I still think it's possible their "soft" class model could work. They still have class roles and the concept of having group synergies and combo fields. But in practice the powers are limited and weak, possiby due to the need for PvP balance or just being timid, and don't really matter much. So it all devolves down to the lowest common denominator of stacking DPS and relying on kiting to keep you alive while you burn the mob down. Though to an extent they are also failing to solve something that wasn't that much of a problem in reality.

They also failed with the goal of having party flexibility. You can make a GW2 dungeon group out of any combination of classes but that's mainly because the class roles are weak not because their design is strong. And in practice classes are not equally favoured or useful as many of the mechanics lose out once everyone is building for DPS.

My Guardian always tempts me as having a group role. You could stack healing (if it wasn't hopelessly weak), spread around protection to your allies (if the uptime wasn't tiny) and use intercept and block moves (if you could have more skill bars) but it's arguable whether it's worth bothering. Then you have something like my Necromancer which is just a mess and has a bunch of central mechanics that don't work that well with how the game is actually played.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1081 on: August 05, 2014, 10:50:29 AM

I'm really into this again. I only just started it back up, but its really filling the cravings I was having. Anyone has an active guild with openings for a pretty casual player?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: August 05, 2014, 11:24:33 AM

So far none of the living story events have had any unique skin rewards right?

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: August 05, 2014, 01:43:54 PM

No, but it does require making encounters something other than a stock tank-and-spank.  If you get rid of the Trinity you have to get rid of bosses the Trinity would fight.

Like what? The majority of fights in PVE games that have trinity are hardly tank and spank these days.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1084 on: August 05, 2014, 02:02:49 PM

So far none of the living story events have had any unique skin rewards right?

Kind of, but you need to craft them. The weapons look pretty good in game - especially the staff (http://dulfy.net/2014/07/15/gw2-ambrite-weapon-skins-gallery/) and there is a new craftable backpiece that will supposedly grow as the Living Story progresses (http://dulfy.net/2014/07/29/gw2-mysterious-vine-backpiece-guide/)

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or?  
Jump to: