Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this game dead or?  (Read 382263 times)
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: June 26, 2013, 07:07:22 AM

I took a little break and now am getting back into this again. EWSpider has a good point, I just logged in and continued on with where I left off and easily managed to do the Dragon Bash stuff. Now, looks like I have some reading to do with this new patch...

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Update

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: June 26, 2013, 03:00:59 PM

I have two 80s, a 65, a 55, and like 3 ~20-30 dudes.

One 80 is geared out entirely, the other one is halfway.

I'm just lost as to what to do "next" with the most geared guy.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: June 26, 2013, 05:56:42 PM

I have two 80s, a 65, a 55, and like 3 ~20-30 dudes.

One 80 is geared out entirely, the other one is halfway.

I'm just lost as to what to do "next" with the most geared guy.

Depends on what you like.  If you are more into the 5 man instanced PvE than it's all about the dungeons and Fractals.  Fractal guide:

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/guides/basics/complete-guide-fractals-mists
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractal

They basically have their own advancement mechanism with a new gear stat Agony.  The higher level you go the more Agony you need.

Does your 80 have all his Ascended accessories?  If not that is something to work towards and there are multiple ways to get most of them.

WvWvW is still a lot of fun if that's your cup of tea.  It now has World XP which you get for taking keeps, towers, supply camps, guard posts, repairing stuff, killing enemies, etc.  There are now Realm Levels similar to DAoC and you get titles and ability points which can be spent on passive abilities for w3.  The abilities don't affect player vs player (no power creep in that regard), but there are some nice minor boosts such as reduced damage from guards and boosts for using/defending siege weapons.

There are new Guild Missions now.  They are a lot of fun, but require you be in largish guild.  If you are on GoM I can recommend Indigo Plateau.  They do missions every Saturday and Sunday night at 9pm EST.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_missions

The tokens you get from doing the missions can be used for a variety of nice rewards including some Ascended accessories:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Commendation_Trader

most often known as Drevik
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 02, 2013, 07:20:32 AM

Still playing.  Between a demanding job, and a marriage and toddler who deserve most of my attention, this is the perfect game to play.  A few reasons:

1.  You don't have to group.  Just walk up to events or mobs, there's almost no worry of competing for loot. 

2.  You don't need ascended gear.  Exotics are cheap and do the job just fine.  Some of my toons have one or two pieces of ascended, but that's just because laurels stack up and you might as well spend them.  I have 80s with nothing but rare level gear and they do just fine in the open world or wvw.

3.  WvW.  It's exactly the kind of large scale pvp that some of us waited a long time for, and it works.  Jump in, run around for a short time or long time, not a lot of pressure involved.  Can be extremely fun with good commanders and enough players following directions.

4.  Dragon timers.  http://guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/  This is the first thing I pull up if I'm about to log on.  Guaranteed rares and sometimes exotics.  With this and selling mats, I always have enough gold for my needs.  (needs:  expensive dyes, leveling alts through crafting)

5.  No raiding.  No multi-hour time commitments at a time unless you really want them. 

6.  Professions, combat, combo systems are fun and interesting.  I installed Rift last week and played for about 30 seconds.  The characters looked like the dudes from "Money For Nothing" in comparison.

The game is by no means perfect, and if I was a bachelor under house arrest I might be open to different games, but for now GW2 is my pick and has been since launch.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 02, 2013, 09:40:26 AM

Yep. I'm an old man with a kid and a mortgage and school and sudden writing gigs. I can't hit shit like I used to. This is great. I hooked up with a bunch of other old people. I know maybe four people by name, but whatever. They seem mostly okay, there are a lot of them for planned guild things, and it's fun in bursts.

You can buy things which achievement points soon. Stoked.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: July 03, 2013, 05:01:24 AM

I hooked up with a bunch of other old people. I know maybe four people by name, but whatever.

Not ToG (theoldergamers.com) by any chance? I've been with them on Yak's Bend for quite some time.

Working on alt #12 because I'm freaking mad. On the plus side, I scored 7 jade tickets - I more and one of my guardians will be fully kitted out with jade weapons (the other has full Asura T3 weapons :).

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 03, 2013, 07:09:46 AM

Yeah! That's me. I'm Brocktoon over there, usually on Meow Meow Nuggets or Ator.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: July 03, 2013, 07:15:56 AM

Heh, other ToG'ers. The relatively relaxed nature of ToG is a good match for this game.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: July 03, 2013, 07:29:25 AM

It really is. I'll not play for a couple weeks and then binge for one. Or drop in once every three days for a half hour at a time. And it's cool because whatever.

I don't really *know* anyone and that's a byproduct of not really needing to in order to accomplish things. That's a non-zero drawback to super casual games and play. But it's cool.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: July 03, 2013, 03:06:31 PM

I'll be damned. What's all this about an achievement system which actually gives you things for your points?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/new-account-achievement-rewards-incoming/
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #115 on: July 03, 2013, 03:09:24 PM

If it is just gated unlocks, fine. Making the points "spendable" is a shitty idea, and I hope that's not how it works.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: July 03, 2013, 03:53:34 PM

Makes it sound like gated unlocks.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: July 03, 2013, 04:23:35 PM

I don't really *know* anyone and that's a byproduct of not really needing to in order to accomplish things. That's a non-zero drawback to super casual games and play. But it's cool.

Yep... but if I put a lot of time into a game I'd start learning names. I mostly Duo with my wife though (we're almost 100% map completion, so casual). Kageru on the account and mainly Khelessar in game.

- Simond
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: July 04, 2013, 01:40:26 AM

Oh nice, Other Toggers. I'm in Tyrian due to being on in the Aussie times. Usually on Dallith Bradley or Kira Chenco or Setanta (or any other of my 11 90s and 3 lowbies :D ).

Would you guys be Tyrian or Olden?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: July 04, 2013, 04:26:06 AM

hahaha: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/dungeons/Ranger-DPS-in-Dungeons/first

No idea if legit, but it made me laugh either way. TLDR: PvE rangers better off picking up warrior banners instead of using their own weapons.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: July 04, 2013, 05:16:00 AM

Oh nice, Other Toggers. I'm in Tyrian due to being on in the Aussie times. Usually on Dallith Bradley or Kira Chenco or Setanta (or any other of my 11 90s and 3 lowbies :D ).

Would you guys be Tyrian or Olden?

I.... don't know. I'm just in TOG. :D

New jumping puzzles is brutal. Camera and tight jumps made me motion sick. I still didn't finish it. :(
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: July 04, 2013, 06:14:04 PM

I gave up on it (made the mistake of going in there on my charr and norn).

Took the human mesmer in and then cheated and got people to port me up :)

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: July 04, 2013, 07:17:09 PM

Well according to some datamined icons we are getting basketball.

I am the .00000001428%
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: July 04, 2013, 09:39:11 PM

hahaha: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/dungeons/Ranger-DPS-in-Dungeons/first

No idea if legit, but it made me laugh either way. TLDR: PvE rangers better off picking up warrior banners instead of using their own weapons.  why so serious?

The banners surprise me. The ele weapons don't, they do more damage than anyone's normal attacks since they're charge limited.

I'm curious how honest the banner thing is though, since it's just time limited IIRC. My ranger out damages my engineer and elementalist like there's no tomorrow, but I have no warrior or guardian to compare to what people are actually complaining about.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: July 04, 2013, 10:13:37 PM

Definitely not warrior and probably not guardian. Having said that, ranger is still in a very average place and the pet mechanism stinks to high heaven, but It's still fun (more fun than my engineer). There really needs to be a trait to remove the pet completely and give the ranger the lost DPS. I'm trying to play with axes but the shortbow still leaves them for dead. As soon as I can get some knight's gear together (currently I'm using berserker) I'm going to go back to GS/S/WH.

I'm currently levelling my second thief as a pistol/pistol & dagger/dagger build. It craps all over the second ranger I finished a few weeks ago in terms of being able to tear through mobs even as a "button 3" build

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #125 on: July 06, 2013, 06:19:07 PM

Once I get to the Ruins of Orr areas I just lose interest with all the Champions and clustered veterans.  It's like it becomes a different game which I don't much like =/

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: July 06, 2013, 08:24:41 PM

Yeah. A desolate wasteland crammed full of undead and poison might have sounded "cool" but it's not much fun in practice. Though I believe they did a pass through it and reduced mob density and some other things.

We're "vacationing" in Timberline falls, a very scenic region, to recharge before we go finish Orr off.

- Simond
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: July 06, 2013, 11:11:16 PM

I like Orr on all classes bar my thief and elementalist.

My rangers and guardians rip through it, warrior and FT Engineer face tank it, phantasm mesmers and condition necro melt faces. The thief sadly got smashed until I went Pistol/Pistol as did the ele until I went dagger/dagger pvp spec.

Mesmers: phantasm -> clone -> dodge clone ->shatter while circle strafing (condition removal is nice)
Necro: sceptre/dagger and staff strafe if not melted by the time they get to you (and 2 skills to lose conditions)
Warrior: burn them down fast and shout-heal, ignore vets unless they are in a clear space.
Engineer (flamethrower/elixir build) circle-strafe (which I hate as it's harder to get flames to hit than any other class) and face-tank. Elixir to remove conditions.
Rangers: melt them with longbow, strafe with shortbow (even with nerf) and use a southsun drake and a devourer (awesome little ranged tank the devourer is).
Guardians: GS and Hammer and lay down the law because guardians aren't OP at all.
Mage: melt with air stance and heal with water, fore for the ele.
Thief: Pistol/Pistol skill 3 ->  skill 3 ->  skill 3 -> loot. Daggers/heal etc for escape.

Southsun on the other hand is a pain especially with the vet/champ karka that pop up like godzilla on crack :D

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: July 07, 2013, 06:30:32 AM

Once I get to the Ruins of Orr areas I just lose interest with all the Champions and clustered veterans.  It's like it becomes a different game which I don't much like =/

I don't care for Orr either.  My Elementalist alt hit 80 without doing much in Orr.  I only went there for some of the personal story quests and didn't even finish those.  You're not missing much if you simply avoid it.

most often known as Drevik
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #129 on: July 07, 2013, 06:37:45 AM

True but I'm a completionist whore.  I can't leave a zone until it's 100%. 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: July 07, 2013, 05:05:22 PM

Thief: Pistol/Pistol skill 3 ->  skill 3 ->  skill 3 -> loot. Daggers/heal etc for escape.

With a thief you want sword/pistol, lay down a black powder and auto attack with the sword.  You are basically immune as the mobs are blind the whole time.

I am the .00000001428%
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: July 07, 2013, 07:44:11 PM

True but I'm a completionist whore.  I can't leave a zone until it's 100%. 

Absolutely... but there's also some beautiful scenery oddly hidden away in the corners of the world they've built.

- Simond
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: July 07, 2013, 10:49:02 PM

With a thief you want sword/pistol, lay down a black powder and auto attack with the sword.  You are basically immune as the mobs are blind the whole time.

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

On another note, I may have an issue with this game:

98% map completion on my oldest char, all 80s bar the Sylvari Ranger are in exotics, too many sets of T3 gear... yeah I have a problem.

Stokowski
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: July 08, 2013, 01:53:17 AM

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: July 08, 2013, 06:30:10 AM

I'm not sure i get the point of multiple 80s of the same class, respeccing is damn near free.

I am the .00000001428%
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: July 08, 2013, 08:59:00 AM

I'm not sure i get the point of multiple 80s of the same class, respeccing is damn near free.

I like levelling different classes and exploring the personal story. Then the OCD kicks in and I finish them.

I could respec, or I could just jump on the character specced/geared for the way I want to play... and play.

It's a combo of the two

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: July 08, 2013, 10:54:43 PM

Multiple 80's are also really nice for parking in places....

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: July 11, 2013, 09:33:53 AM

Reddit thread talking about how much people spend on this game.  Whatever they are doing seems to be working for them to the point that they think its a good idea to do it harder i guess.

I am the .00000001428%
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: July 11, 2013, 10:00:37 PM

I'm still reading or? as Orr....

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: July 12, 2013, 08:18:24 AM

Wow, I definitely underestimated how much people were putting in. Maybe it's that I'm not at the top level or even in the next state over, but I just didn't see all that much to buy in the cash shop. Like I love little pets, but the things don't stay out and if I'm coughing up money, I want it to stay out and I want to choose what tiny critter I'm getting for my $$. Likewise the costume selection is good, but you can't wear it outside the city so who cares.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or?  
Jump to: