Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:16:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this game dead or?  (Read 382359 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 07:37:34 AM

Having to do dungeons and fractals for monthly/gear is what made me quit.  Everything else with the game was fine, although it certainly did not have as many things to do as GW1 did.
Laurels from the daily can net you all the Ascended gear now, if you need more than exotics.  Starting with this month, the Monthlies are like the Dailies in that you have to only complete four of several categories.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 11:26:21 PM

I think I finally "got" my warrior. I blew all my gold on exotic gear and watched him doing massive GS hits on mobs - all of a sudden he was fun :) Thief is still a pain for me as she's only level 8, still feels fragile. I fired up a Necro and got it to 30 (admittedly 10 of those levels were doing cooking for master crafter - thanks for the link).

I'm not feeling the necro yet - the minion master thing just doesn't feel as much fun as my L20 GW1 necro. I wondering about levelling with a condition build instead of pet P/P

Then again, I didn't feel my engineer until he was L70, guardian or mesmer until they were L60 and warrior until L50. My ranger never felt good sadly. I need to re-look at the build (P/P + beast)

Once I 80 the necro I want to have a look at the ele - I've never got around to one.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 05:55:45 AM

I'm not feeling the necro yet - the minion master thing just doesn't feel as much fun as my L20 GW1 necro. I wondering about levelling with a condition build instead of pet P/P

Yeah, they totally took everything that was cool about a minion master in GW1 and neutered it in GW2.  Granted probably about 50% of that is the pet AI in GW2 is flat out retarded.  I was pretty sad that they didnt' take a bunch of the cool necro stuff from GW1 to GW2.

Necro is more fun once you stop using their pets though.
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 06:49:16 AM

I run a dagger focus power build now but leveling my necro I used a straight condition scepter dagger build all the way to 80.  I have 6 level 80's and my necro was the most fun and probably easiest to level.  I never thought twice about diving into a pack of mobs and just melting them all.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 02:20:06 AM

I finally got 30 laurels and god damn I am disappointed lol - reading descriptions all asceneded items are not only account bound (which I am fine with) but also soulbound on use! means i cant swap them between alts . Not only I would have to get jewelry for each slot , I have to get it for each spec and then for each alt... ughhhh .That seriously kills the desire to continue
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 07:50:26 AM

Necklaces are the only piece you can't get through other means.  Rings drop like candy in the level 10+ fractal instances, and the rest of the pieces can be bought with tokens.

Now all those require a level of grinding I'm not willing to do, but if you're not running fractals, you don't really need the ascended gear anyways.  Just stick with exotics.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 10:48:04 AM

Necklaces are the only piece you can't get through other means.  Rings drop like candy in the level 10+ fractal instances, and the rest of the pieces can be bought with tokens.

Now all those require a level of grinding I'm not willing to do, but if you're not running fractals, you don't really need the ascended gear anyways.  Just stick with exotics.

But...But the magic find...

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 11:50:16 AM

I really dislike the account nature of ascended gear, simply because it limits the fuck out of alt lovers. Stat wise, the gear hasn't really bugged me that much. It's still dumb as hell and not needed, but not out and out offensive to me. I just really liked the relatively short hop from "just hit max level" to "and now I'm fully geared" that used to be there.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 12:14:04 PM

Yeah, I can see that.  Khalipha took me by surprise with the ferocity of the reaction for exactly that reason.  It's mostly a non-issue to me, but I could see hate burning in those eyes.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 04:25:23 PM

I keep playing it casually so far, which is quite enjoyable  - even though I already have 1 lvl 80 there is so much of the world I havent seen  . I have also 6 alts sitting there  waiting if I get bored with thief ( doubt  - its very fun class, despite it  could be frustrating to die if you miss the dodge lol). And  I  was able to do almost every event I want, -servers are not quite dead and people are around, when my server is empty  I just guest on high pop ones.

Though more I play it its getting harder to keep   suppressing my achiever side which urges to  grind the chest events/fractals/www for ranks, which I think might actually turn it from fun into grind and make me quit again.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:29:57 PM by Dark_MadMax »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 04:36:55 PM

I keep playing it casually so far, which is quite enjoyable  - even though I already have 1 lvl 80 there is so much of the world I havent seen  . I have also 6 alts sitting there  waiting if I get bored with thief ( doubt  - its very fun class, despite it  could be frustrating to die if you miss the dodge lol). And  I  was able to do almost every event I want, -servers are not quite dead and people are around, when my server is empty  I just guest on high pop ones.

Though more I play it its getting harder to keep   suppressing my achiever side which urges to  grind the chest events/fractals/www for ranks, which I think might actually turn it from fun into grind and make me quit again.
Please, for the love of all that's good and pure, fix your space bar.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 04:33:55 PM

Been doing dungeons (believe it or not only done Ascalon Tomb in release) - I dunno why the hate. they are pretty fun with decent story and amazing environment for most part(winter fractal impressed me the most so far). Fights themselves are not exactly the strongest point but they  are not too bad either.
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 04:53:34 AM

The fractals in and of themselves are quite excellent I thought, it's just the poor implementation that let them down again;
- they're fun, fairly fast little things, but then they practically force you to do at least 3-4 in a row.
- they coupled them with a ridiculous gear grind and of course a 'magic stat' that they crow-barred in there.
- the unique skins (and what else does one play GW for in the end?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS) are also walled off behind the higher tiers, again forcing you to take part in the grind.

And that's not even mentioning when they launched they had no respawn, no way to reconnect if someone got disconnected and everyone had to be on the exact same tier to get a reward.

The architecture of the world and the dungeons is probably some of the best I've seen in an MMO, but the more I played the more I saw how it's constantly marred by poor mechanics.

I got a good 3-4 months of solid fun out of this, but I haven't logged in more than a few hours the past month and the same goes for most people in my guild.
There's just no hook; no house to fill with silly trophies, no superduper raids to beat, nothing to rally a guild (the guild missions are an attempt, but not an impressive one), WvW got stale and repetitive by about the second month and I am one of those fools that's been pining for the RvR 'glory days' of DaoC as well.

No sub so who knows? I might jump back in and get hooked for another month next year, if they add some good content, but it doesn't feel like it atm.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 20, 2013, 04:01:09 PM

Once they tuned them a bit, the dungeons are actually really fun, yeah. Weirdly, explorables are substantially better tuned and more fun than the story modes.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 20, 2013, 07:35:28 PM

CoE is hell both ways.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 20, 2013, 08:49:28 PM

Free 2 day trial offer this weekend and the game has gone to shit. Barren's chat everywhere on Yak's Bend.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 20, 2013, 09:02:27 PM

Free 2 day trial offer this weekend and the game has gone to shit. Barren's chat everywhere on Yak's Bend.

Ehh Id say barrens chat >>> no chat. Game is populated and its good
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 21, 2013, 08:41:55 AM

By that standard every single game is shit.  People on the internet are morons, they have always been morons and they will always continue to be morons.  I don't see how this reflects in any way on the quality or enjoyment of a game.  I have not played an MMO since EQ were my very first action upon logging in was not to turn off any world broadcast channels.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:49:02 AM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 21, 2013, 11:34:27 AM

I got a good 3-4 months of solid fun out of this, but I haven't logged in more than a few hours the past month and the same goes for most people in my guild.
There's just no hook; no house to fill with silly trophies, no superduper raids to beat, nothing to rally a guild (the guild missions are an attempt, but not an impressive one), WvW got stale and repetitive by about the second month and I am one of those fools that's been pining for the RvR 'glory days' of DaoC as well.

No sub so who knows? I might jump back in and get hooked for another month next year, if they add some good content, but it doesn't feel like it atm.

Well 3-4 month of fun is imho a lot nowdays.  In my personal book TSW is one of the greatest online games I ever played(deliberately not saying MMO :) ), but I was done with it in 2 months (1 month of beta and 1 month at release). I literally done every single thing and seen every piece of content in that game in 1 month span. In gw2 on other hand I  probably seen 60%-70% of content, my most progressed lvl 80 character havent seen 8 big zones at all . And its my only lvl 80 class. There things which still genuinely new for me in there (well as far as "new" could be for old gamer)

I done quite a bit of WWW and Spvp at release and the former is a lot of content in itself if you are into that sort of thing. Spvp is sadly pretty much dead, but  even htojin  could be some mindless  fun occasionally

There is a lot of stuff GW2 offers. Sure some of it is of  grindy/repeat style quality, but nevertheless the rest is genuinely good . It is just I think honeymoon is over for most  and people wont play same game for extended period of time, regardless of the actual quality. "Been there done that". The only games people still play are same old games they married first place (read WoW for most people, EvE for some weirdos), some people are long divorced and only look at younglings in disgust (e.g. UO/EQ/Daoc hardcores)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:37:47 AM by Dark_MadMax »
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 25, 2013, 02:42:24 AM

I popped back in GW2 last night after three months away and had a good time.  But my Daily list showed me needing to kill a Champion?  With the low pop I saw last night how are you supposed to solo a Champion? 
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 25, 2013, 03:16:03 AM

I popped back in GW2 last night after three months away and had a good time.  But my Daily list showed me needing to kill a Champion?  With the low pop I saw last night how are you supposed to solo a Champion? 

Guest on a High Pop server - Yak's Bend is pretty much always got groups of 80+ taking on chest dragons/Maw etc.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 25, 2013, 05:00:48 AM

I think the tower lords in wvw are champions.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 25, 2013, 06:41:41 AM

Just finished a guild run of Ogre Wars and the Hrathi Centaur equivalent, chest at the end of each. 40-50 of us smashing Ogres and then Centaurs for over an hour - at the end of it my bags were full and everyone had fun. Infinitely more fun than trying not to fall asleep on a Jormag event. Last night we ran Low level Fractals for newbies and had 20 people in 4 groups having fun and not wiping.

Big guilds are fun and due to size constrictions, we actually run 3 guilds, so there's always something happening.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 25, 2013, 07:52:41 AM

Queensdale is popular for the group events and champions.  Troll, Oakheart, Wasp, Boar, and of course the Shadow Beast.

You also only need five out of all those on the list, so it's safe to skip a few you don't like or aren't reasonable to do.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 25, 2013, 08:30:00 AM

Yep! You'll probably finish 5 of those up during normal gameplay, though some MAY urge you to travel to a different area (ie. "complete 4 events in Shiverpeaks zones"). WvW is probably the best way to finish them all, since you get gathering, wvw / caravan kills, champion kills, group events, veteran kills, and maybe even kill variety if you go off-road a bit (does each player count as a separate kill for variety? me forget).

In fact, I think GW2's daily/monthly activity system is the ONLY one on the market that doesn't suck ass.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #60 on: April 25, 2013, 10:47:50 AM

LoTRO skirmishes (NOT tasks) are still the best daily thinger, to me. GW2 does a nice job at that, at least, although I'm not sure the rewards are really very compelling.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 25, 2013, 12:55:47 PM

The Laurels Dailies and Monthlies give allow you to buy some nice things, though their costs feel a bit high.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 25, 2013, 12:59:17 PM

Well, it's an alternate way of getting ascended gear if you don't want to run fractals... and yeah, the costs are high. I'd either make the gear unlockable instead of buyable (so you'd get them on all your alts after buying them on one char), or cut their prices by at least 50%. As it is, you can gear up ONE of your characters in a year or so of on-and-off gameplay? Eh.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 25, 2013, 01:23:46 PM

Well, it's an alternate way of getting ascended gear if you don't want to run fractals... and yeah, the costs are high. I'd either make the gear unlockable instead of buyable (so you'd get them on all your alts after buying them on one char), or cut their prices by at least 50%. As it is, you can gear up ONE of your characters in a year or so of on-and-off gameplay? Eh.

Yeah it kinda feels very grindy if you want get specific sets/gear. I mean I been running COF/fractals   daily for past  2 weeks. It take a lot of time and really only got me barely close to set of exotic gear. Only thing I got from over 70 fractals runs is 20 slot bag.  i shudder to think how much grind is to get armor set from unpopular explorable dungeons. I also really want one SAB skin but 50 bauble bubbles? - insane
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 25, 2013, 02:30:21 PM

I don't play GW2 for the loot, it blows chunks.  I vendor greens, who gives a shit.  This games for combat, exploration and WvW.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #65 on: April 25, 2013, 02:40:55 PM

But I thought their cosmetic system was supposed to be so much better than anyone else's? Doesn't mean much if you can't get the gear to use for the look.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 25, 2013, 02:53:07 PM

Yeah it kinda feels very grindy if you want get specific sets/gear. I mean I been running COF/fractals   daily for past  2 weeks. It take a lot of time and really only got me barely close to set of exotic gear. Only thing I got from over 70 fractals runs is 20 slot bag.  i shudder to think how much grind is to get armor set from unpopular explorable dungeons. I also really want one SAB skin but 50 bauble bubbles? - insane

Ok, you get two per zone, so that's six per day per character. Plus you can easily get an extra one just with the shovel in zone two (trading baubles for bauble bubbles) if you run one character nine times you get a guarenteed skin. Running more characters makes it a bit quicker. Your 1/50 odds for  a drop also help a bit.  Or you can just run zone two digging for a couple hours and get 10 bauble bubbles.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: April 25, 2013, 02:53:19 PM

About half the sets are actually available on the cheap for karma if you are fine with transmuting. I'd love a cosmetic slot, but it would probably mess with their micro transaction model.

For example, the CM armor sets are given out as greens by a bunch of the Orr vendors, texture wise. My engineer gets a bunch of compliments because I found a karma vendor in the middle of nowhere that sells a set that doesn't appear to be reused ever.

CoF armor isn't available via other methods, and fractal weapon skins are just a punch in the dick to get however.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: April 25, 2013, 03:14:21 PM

I also really want one SAB skin but 50 bauble bubbles? - insane

It took me half a day to get the GS SAB skin. I ran each character through the first section for 2 baubles each run. Time in instance = 7 minutes including stupid intro. I then created 2 Asura alts and ran them through the starter area. One alt would be deleted after a SAB run and then re-created allowing infinite runs using that character slot.

I have 10 Character slots and by timing my run to before and after reset (2 runs each character on the same day) I only needed to recycle the lowbie alt 5 times to get the GS skin and less for the backpack. I did this 3 times over my holiday break and came away with a hatred of green. But it's not hard to do. The most boring part is the Asura starter area and the intro to SAB.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:56 PM

But I thought their cosmetic system was supposed to be so much better than anyone else's? Doesn't mean much if you can't get the gear to use for the look.
Oh, their cosmetic system is the best ever.. as long as you get some HOM points and get free infinitely reusable good-lookin' skins for all your gear. It's what I do, anyway. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or?  
Jump to: