Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:35:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Defiance. The TV show, not the game... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Defiance. The TV show, not the game...  (Read 38287 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 10:14:25 AM

Alright dude, you win it is just our imagination that this show is a steaming pile of poop.

It's your opinion. It's not objective reality. That was my only point.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 12:23:04 PM

I enjoyed it, it was a big mix of a lot of things. Its just to early to tell, could go one way or the other.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 12:29:51 PM

Hell, I'm not going to berate anyone else for the enjoyment they enjoy.  More power to you.

But this wasn't good.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 01:09:22 PM

Why is Zod such a smart ass? Also, please don't change your avatar after Man of Steel. I like glaring Terrence Stamp.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 01:40:00 PM

Nah, seriously, whatever you enjoy, whatever that is, especially in the comfort of your living room is fuck all to do with me.  There are tons of shows you chaps watch that I don't.  Hell, there are probably tons you don't even get and vice versa.  It's no biggie.

As to Zod, Zod never changes. 

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 02:39:25 PM

This show is like star wars if the main character was Han Solo. I dont hate it, I mean the dialogue and acting is rather on the bad side but if your a real scifi on tv fan you've swallowed hockier. Like Fallimg Skies this show just needs to be enjoyable, which so far its managing.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 08:05:30 PM

Just watched the pilot.  Good enough to get me to watch the next one, but not enough to sell me long term right away.  Just about every trope possible was packed into that first episode which was unfortunate because it gave little indication of what will be unique or interesting about the show (if anything). 

None of it was bad enough to turn me off to it completely, or good enough to make me feel like this could be the "next big thing" (at least insofar as such a thing can be on "Syfy")
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 19, 2013, 04:28:53 AM

The lack of sophistication is part of the attraction for me. I don't need another serious tense thoughtful show. I need a nice go to adventure show that i can enjoy without having my intelligence completely insulted (Revolution). We'll see though, it could go down hill quickly or develop.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 19, 2013, 07:13:44 AM

I agree with you Numtini. I love me some serious sci-fi (though it often disappoints me in the end, see BSG) but I also like some light hearted adventure sci-fi and so far Defiance appears to fall into the second category.

Just watched the pilot.  Good enough to get me to watch the next one, but not enough to sell me long term right away.  Just about every trope possible was packed into that first episode which was unfortunate because it gave little indication of what will be unique or interesting about the show (if anything). 

None of it was bad enough to turn me off to it completely, or good enough to make me feel like this could be the "next big thing" (at least insofar as such a thing can be on "Syfy")

I more or less agree with you though on the archetype characters it could be argued that that is fairly common and a good way to get the audience to immediately go "oh he's that guy, cool, I like that guy.

On a couple of other points

Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 19, 2013, 09:12:31 AM

Thought it was really bad.  I felt embarrassed for the actors having to wear that horrible makeup and blurt out the dialogue.  But it's pure unadulterated sci-fi which is kind of rare in a post-Lost world.  So I might keep watching despite how cringe inducing the show is.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #45 on: April 20, 2013, 04:43:14 PM

This is really bad.  But just because people like it doesn't mean they're wrong or anything.  There's a lot of people who like bad things.  There is no correlation that just because they like bad things that they are inherently bad people.  Just because most of them are bad people doesn't mean anything.  It's perfectly possible that some person who likes bad things is an all around decent person.  I'm willing to keep my mind open on that score.  But this show is horrible.  Objectively so.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #46 on: April 20, 2013, 08:15:45 PM

But it's not objectively horrible. It's definitely a bit of a shitshow, but fuck that objectively bad bullshit.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #47 on: April 20, 2013, 09:25:00 PM

You only say that because you are inherently a bad person.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #48 on: April 20, 2013, 10:18:47 PM

I'm a horrible person. You're still wrong.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 20, 2013, 11:09:53 PM

Objectively bad, these days, means relatively good.  So I guess we'll all keep watching - for a while.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #50 on: April 22, 2013, 11:21:32 PM

Guess I was wrong about the cast (stupid IMDB).

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #51 on: April 23, 2013, 01:49:21 AM

A few things stand out:

1.  None of the characters are likable.  Everyone is either inherently bad, aloof/stupid, or the reluctant good guy.

2.  White alien tits, every episode.

3.  There's too many races in play.

4.  How did the city get buried underground, but the arch stands?

It's not a terrible show, but it isn't really likable either.  They need to get the price of the game down to $20 or f2p, maybe that will help my enjoyment of the series.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 23, 2013, 02:49:29 AM

I enjoyed the second episode.  There are a few irritating things, but the buried city was cool.  But Hawk is right, not a lot of like-able characters yet.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #53 on: April 23, 2013, 06:04:25 AM

I like a couple of the characters - mind you I went in to this expecting something Farscapey, a show that had next to no "likable" characters. Must admit the arch issue didn't occur to me.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 23, 2013, 07:31:45 AM

It did?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #55 on: April 23, 2013, 08:43:22 AM

Yeah, minor plot point from ep2.  Apparently the terraforming buried the city, as it did all cities.  St Louis was an anomaly because it was encapsulated into a cavern instead of being outright buried.  There's like riverboats down there, the remains of the Mississippi, skyscrapers... you name it.  Yet the arch is still above ground. 

I'm not bashing; I kinda want to like this show in a SGU/Firefly way.  However, it's missing some real parts to make it likable.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 23, 2013, 12:35:47 PM

Judging by the last epi., I guess we've got a serial sci-fi cop show on our hands guys.   Heartbreak  Not sure I'm gonna keep watching.  Maybe I'll make that hour guitar-practice or book-reading time or something.
What's next on the sci-fi TV radar btw?  Anything?   swamp poop

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #57 on: April 23, 2013, 05:04:13 PM

I can't fathom how much this show is parallel with Terra Nova mixed with Eureka.

It keeps making me wince though.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 23, 2013, 05:15:56 PM

Yeah, minor plot point from ep2.  Apparently the terraforming buried the city, as it did all cities.  St Louis was an anomaly because it was encapsulated into a cavern instead of being outright buried.  There's like riverboats down there, the remains of the Mississippi, skyscrapers... you name it.  Yet the arch is still above ground. 

I'm not bashing; I kinda want to like this show in a SGU/Firefly way.  However, it's missing some real parts to make it likable.

I read somewhere that somehow the Arch got pushed up out of the ground and survived mostly intact making it become a symbol of hope or something. I'll track it down and post a link.

Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 23, 2013, 11:37:44 PM

A few things stand out:

1.  None of the characters are likable.  Everyone is either inherently bad, aloof/stupid, or the reluctant good guy.

2.  White alien tits, every episode.

3.  There's too many races in play.

It's not a terrible show, but it isn't really likable either. .....

You all have it wrong! It's just a very grungy version of Babylon 5.

Last nights episode read completely like an re-written episode of Babylon 5. Main storyline pursuing some sinister alien plot, secondary plot "well meaning Earth authority figure interfering with Alien cultural issues - kills Alien instead".

PS: Maybe DS9 but I preferred Babylon 5.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 24, 2013, 01:32:05 AM

I want to like this show but it seems pretty mediocre so far. I think it might have been alot more interesting if the miner family had been alien like the crime boss (though a different race) so that the Romeo&Julia stuff would have been between 2 alien cultures with the human sheriff etc trying to keep the peace while not familiar with either side's customs etc. With one side being human it seems to make it pretty predictable and it loses alot of the potential for storytelling (imho).
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 24, 2013, 05:37:56 AM

I did not like the episode. I thought the pilot had some good ideas and this episode seemed to pick up none of them.

I had the same thought about B5. My specific thought after watching it was "wow, this plot line was innovative and edgy for tv 20 years ago and now it seems really simplistic and overdone." It was definitely B5 because if it was Trek we'd have had the Lawkeeper apologizing to the mayor and her giving him a good scolding for daring to think that something wasn't completely morally relative.

Yes, I loathed 90s trek. Yes I did.

I agree about the likeability. Grant Bowler has no presence whatsoever. The only thing that worked for that character ever was the sexual tension in the pilot between him and Irisa and that was probably unintentional as she's his daughter not his girlfriend. Let's do another B5 and bring in a new commander.

I thought there was a general dumbing down of the characters. Irisa had an outspoken wisecracking quality and is now just the annoying gothgirl listening to The Cure in her parents basement and the crime family were little more than moustache twirling villains rather than the extremely pale Sopranos that were hinted at in the pilot.

Having said all that, I can't wait for the next episode.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #62 on: April 24, 2013, 07:33:35 AM

I kinda like the series.  Not anywhere near as much as Firefly and I didn't like any of the Star Treks.  I enjoyed the pilot a fair bit more than this last episode, though.  And I didn't get the "sexual tension" feeling.  I saw it more like the jealousy and anger I used to feel when my father was trying to pick up women.  And this main character in the series seems to make goo goo eyes at everyone with boobies, although I'm certain there's going to be some sort of "thing" with him and the sisters.  I'm with Numtini on the main character, however I liked him in True Blood.  I'd be good with finding a new guy for that role unless he learns to stop reading his lines off the palm of his hand.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 24, 2013, 09:05:11 AM

I just finished the game last night and it's a bit of a spoiler for the show, but kinda cool.  Basically, near the end of the game you figure out why Nolan won't talk specifically about certain parts of his past (related to the Defiant Few). 

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 24, 2013, 09:33:19 AM

The father of the mining family is the only character in the series I can vaguely root for. With him seeming to be a tyrant of a father and kind of a racist that doesn't speak for everyone else in Defiance. Maybe its the fact that his racism is mainly directed at a family who deserves everything they get.

Also, I want a roleplaying game where I can discover the ruins under Defiance instead of that shooter.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 24, 2013, 10:18:15 AM

It's definitely a series that hints at cool shit outside or underground, but locks itself in that shitty little town of bad actors.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 24, 2013, 10:24:55 AM

I just finished the game last night and it's a bit of a spoiler for the show, but kinda cool.  Basically, near the end of the game you figure out why Nolan won't talk specifically about certain parts of his past (related to the Defiant Few). 

Yeah it is kind of cool how the game clues you into background stuff like that. I definitely like that aspect of it.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #67 on: April 25, 2013, 03:57:44 PM

That Nim fight is still a pain in the ass though.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: April 26, 2013, 07:38:42 AM

Heh, no it's not.  I beat it the 1st try.  LMGw/effect+BMG.  I died one time in the entire scenario, and that's because of keybind screwups.  A nice AR with BMG would work too.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 26, 2013, 07:42:48 AM

LMGw/effect+BMG

Is it me or is the 400 damage SAW a little on the overpowered side?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Defiance. The TV show, not the game...  
Jump to: