Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Defiance. The TV show, not the game... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Defiance. The TV show, not the game...  (Read 38216 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: April 26, 2013, 07:50:39 AM

LMGw/effect+BMG

Is it me or is the 400 damage SAW a little on the overpowered side?

Especially when you've got a 130round clip, accuracy, and ammo that regenerates when your secondary weapon is active.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #71 on: April 26, 2013, 08:58:42 AM

LMGw/effect+BMG

Is it me or is the 400 damage SAW a little on the overpowered side?

Especially when you've got a 130round clip, accuracy, and ammo that regenerates when your secondary weapon is active.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

So we are talking about the game now? This thread is confusing me... *see title.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: April 26, 2013, 06:03:41 PM

Best weapon by far I think.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: April 29, 2013, 09:52:24 PM

Tonight's episode was so far the best.  Not too much serial creep aside from character development (tonite was Irathient - and now I like em a lot), so this is good.  A bit more episodic.
I'm disappointed it's a cop show (definitely feeling the Alien Nation vibe here), but like Alien Nation it's pretty well written and explores a lot of philosophies from different angles.  I expect Irissa to be bangin the black deputy in season 2.   awesome, for real

That said, someone needs to stick a muzzle on the mouth of the mayor.  Seriously, she's cheesetastic.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 29, 2013, 10:04:48 PM

I quite enjoyed the Irathient character development. I'm glad Rafe (probably) didn't have anything to do with what happened to that family. I find Irisa is continuing to be my favorite character and I enjoy Nolan far more when he is around her. I also found myself a bit surprised they're already injecting some tension into that relationship.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: April 29, 2013, 11:01:57 PM

The not a lightsaber sword was cool. I liked that.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: April 29, 2013, 11:29:10 PM

I quite enjoyed the Irathient character development. I'm glad Rafe (probably) didn't have anything to do with what happened to that family. I find Irisa is continuing to be my favorite character and I enjoy Nolan far more when he is around her. I also found myself a bit surprised they're already injecting some tension into that relationship.

The "Calamari" scene was extremely original too.  Gotta give credit for that one.  But, once again, Defiance wants to be on Starz.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 30, 2013, 02:50:14 AM

I agree with this and would also add that I'm disappointed it's a cop show, but the cases might be interesting.  Also, why does Irisa get a badge?  Is Nolan that comfortable with his daughter suddenly becoming the town deputy? 

Good to see Moktok (whatever, the white dude) kick some ass.  Gives him more gravity and his wife went  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: April 30, 2013, 10:53:58 AM

The "Calamari" scene was extremely original too.  Gotta give credit for that one.  But, once again, Defiance wants to be on Starz.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 01, 2013, 04:49:22 AM

I really enjoyed that one, it was the kind of followup I was looking for after the pilot and didn't get with the first episode.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 01, 2013, 12:52:44 PM

I don't know that I like the mysticism shit.  There is plenty going on as it is, with alien races we still know pretty much nothing about and they go adding magic in now too?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #81 on: May 10, 2013, 01:40:03 PM

Apparently renewed for a second season, which is really smart for the IP.  I actually enjoyed the last episode, though in a "there's not better to watch" kind of way.

I chatted with a local Gamestop guy today and he said the game has sold extremely well for them and only recently have they actually had copies to sell. 
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 10, 2013, 02:17:01 PM

Well if it just has to be a cop show, they could do worse than the last episode. We saw some political machinations as well as backstory for the mayor.  Cutting down the characters really helped streamline the show and I liked the sci-fi plot
It's the first episode where I wasn't drumming my fingers.  Even the main hero grew on me a bit. 
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 10, 2013, 07:44:20 PM

They had a big initial investment so I'm not surprised it was renewed. I really enjoy the series though, in a casual game sort of way.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: May 13, 2013, 12:49:50 PM

I've been enjoying this show.  It's not on par with Eureka or Warehouse 13, but with the lack of sci-fi shows in general it's a good way to waste time.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: May 14, 2013, 11:46:02 AM

Last night's epi. was the best so far in a dramatic sense.  Not much sci-fi crunch in there but definitely a good story.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 19, 2013, 05:19:39 PM

I'm enjoying it a lot, but someone on the writing team has a huge B5 thing going on.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: June 24, 2013, 09:14:14 PM

It's essentially B5+Alien Nation.  Exactly.  Oh, tonite's epi?  Another good one.  I was actually surprised.  Huge twists.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: June 25, 2013, 08:07:27 AM

Yup and they seem willing to wack seemingly important characters that had been built up so far this season. I have to say this show is getting stronger and stronger as it goes I hope they can keep it up.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: June 25, 2013, 09:52:11 AM

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: June 26, 2013, 06:42:24 PM

I was a bit disinterested (oooh a murder investigation!) until they killed that character off.  Nice.  This show continues to improve.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: June 27, 2013, 02:33:30 PM

Yeah I mistake of not watching this show for a few weeks and now that I came back? This better be renewed for another season.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: June 27, 2013, 03:41:50 PM

I like much of the show, but I wish they'd drop all the fucked up forehead people and albinos down the mine shaft.  Also the love parallelogram.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: June 27, 2013, 04:04:52 PM

I like the background of the show and some of the characters, but I don't really like the plots that much.  Romeo and Juliet can diaf, especially Romeo.  And take the hooker with the heart of gold with them, I'm so sick of that stereotype.

Over and out.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: June 27, 2013, 07:18:48 PM

Yeah I mistake of not watching this show for a few weeks and now that I came back? This better be renewed for another season.

It was renewed for a 2nd season about a month ago I believe.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: June 27, 2013, 08:54:47 PM

The one thing I don't entirely thrilled about in defiance is how human all the aliens are. Only the cat people are genuinely "different" and not just a product of upbringing and culture. I mean I guess it works in the show really well, but its always been my pet peeve in sci-fi.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #96 on: June 28, 2013, 06:44:23 AM

They may be a bit "human" but that's on purpose. You can't really read expression from big rubber prosthetics.

What I like is that they seem to be stretching more than other shows have in showing the cultural differences in different aliens. 

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: June 28, 2013, 08:23:33 AM

The one thing I don't entirely thrilled about in defiance is how human all the aliens are. Only the cat people are genuinely "different" and not just a product of upbringing and culture. I mean I guess it works in the show really well, but its always been my pet peeve in sci-fi.

Indogenes only "look" human-ish, when they want to.  There's an energy race we haven't seen yet.  The Volge??  Might as well be Covenant.  Sensoth?  Giant chewbakka lookin things that kicks ass.  I mean, what the hell more do you want from a show based around a single shit-eating town in the middle of a desert on Earth?

To be real though, DS9 had similar issues when it first came out.  Same old vanilla Trek humanoid races stuck on a space station, but that changed later on.

The problem is they're not concentrating much on the cool aspects of the show; they still defer to latent human drama.  I'd rather see dirtfights with Biomen, Liberata black market trade negotiation, and Sensoth who are oddly intelligent.  And how convenient they can't fly due to some mysterious radiation.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: June 28, 2013, 08:43:11 AM

An alien race also has to be sympathetic to some extent in order to be a main character because the audience has to connect with them in some way. A really alien race would be like the Horta on Trek TOS.

Plus there's the built in excuse that they've been on earth for 20 years and presumably also represented the more adaptable ones or they wouldn't have left or been chosen to leave their home planets.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: June 28, 2013, 02:22:36 PM

They may be a bit "human" but that's on purpose. You can't really read expression from big rubber prosthetics.

What I like is that they seem to be stretching more than other shows have in showing the cultural differences in different aliens. 

I'm with you.  I think they are trying to build a mythos and I really appreciate all of these alien practices and beliefs they show.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: June 30, 2013, 11:10:21 AM

Keep in mind, its been 15 years that they have been stranded on earth.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: July 01, 2013, 09:02:36 AM

I can give them a pass for assimilating a lot of human culture because you have what for all intents and purposes was a refugee fleet who had their worlds die mashed together in one giant fleet which already broke down a lot of their cultural ties now you put them on an alien world mixing with a large population with a more or less cohesive if damaged cultural identity of the humans. Not to surprising a lot of the aliens start assimilating with humans culture since they pretty much live in the ruins of it.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #102 on: July 01, 2013, 09:17:19 AM

I can give them a pass for assimilating a lot of human culture because you have what for all intents and purposes was a refugee fleet who had their worlds die mashed together in one giant fleet which already broke down a lot of their cultural ties now you put them on an alien world mixing with a large population with a more or less cohesive if damaged cultural identity of the humans. Not to surprising a lot of the aliens start assimilating with humans culture since they pretty much live in the ruins of it.

Something about the shamanistic ways of the Irathients rubs me wrong though... they seem way too close in parallel to Native American culture after being on space craft and traveling the stars. Just seems a bit silly. I can deal with it, but just doesn't seem right.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: July 01, 2013, 01:30:45 PM

Keep in mind that most (if not all) of them were in stasis or hibernation of some kind during the trip through space.

Over and out.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: July 01, 2013, 01:45:21 PM

It also appears that the races involved had a pretty broad range of tech capability prior to their exodus. From the sounds of it the irathients were not super high tech before they fled almost all of their tech was from the castithans and the indogens. The volge were also a high tech race but they do not appear to be friendly with anybody which must have made then buckets of fun in the refugee fleet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Defiance. The TV show, not the game...  
Jump to: