Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:57:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Defiance. The TV show, not the game... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Defiance. The TV show, not the game...  (Read 38291 times)
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: July 01, 2013, 01:51:03 PM

Ah just double checked the official lore on the syfy site apparetly NOBODY likes the volge and they were in fact left to die by the votan collective. Nobody is quite sure how they wound up on earth if they came on their own ships or were smuggled on one factions arc ships.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #106 on: July 01, 2013, 05:06:57 PM

I like the background of the show and some of the characters, but I don't really like the plots that much.  Romeo and Juliet can diaf, especially Romeo.  And take the hooker with the heart of gold with them, I'm so sick of that stereotype.

I have to agree.  If they're looking to make something different, they're failing on these points.  As far as I'm concerned, they can toss the new mayor into the same tub where they dumped Dexter's wife, too.  I really like Lenny/Vincent Van Gogh guy and the strange looking law maker girl, though.  Unfortunately, I don't much care for the main actor, either. 

I wish I could remember real names but you guys know who I mean, right?  :(

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #107 on: July 01, 2013, 05:41:46 PM

Lenny? huh?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #108 on: July 01, 2013, 09:17:58 PM

From "This Life".  I mean the Scottish guy who plays the lead albino alien.  The one who's always cranky.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 05, 2013, 05:39:23 PM

I'm just totally loving this, but I have this deep feeling Bear McCready could score anything and I'd eat it up. The guy really is the John Williams of tv.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: July 05, 2013, 06:33:07 PM

You mean Bear McCreary?  And yes, you're right.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 05, 2013, 07:18:38 PM

The joy of tapping out a message on an ipad. And yes.

What amazes me is sometimes he obviously doesn't have rights to a song and can put together something often with lyrics more appropriate to the actual scene, that totally captures the emotion of the song he's riffing on.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #112 on: July 06, 2013, 07:42:19 AM

This last episode was really good.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: July 09, 2013, 08:30:19 AM

Season finale last night:

Overall I think the show adequately exhibits potential mostly due to creative concepts and plothooks, but falls flat in production.  They're going to have to put forth a bit more effort in sea. 2.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: July 09, 2013, 10:20:13 AM

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: July 10, 2013, 02:50:48 AM

This is the best show on SyFy since Battlestar Galactica.  I'm stunned by how good it is compared to their other offerings and that it's actually scifi on their wrasslin' channel. 
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: July 10, 2013, 04:33:30 PM

I think Eureka and Warehouse 13 deserve a nod.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: July 11, 2013, 09:49:47 AM

Eh I don't know.  They got the right mix of revealing enough stuff to be rewarding, but keeping enough secret to justify another season.  But the whole episode seemed to be about people behaving stupidly.
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: July 12, 2013, 12:27:45 AM

I think Eureka and Warehouse 13 deserve a nod.

Warehouse 13 I'd say yes for the most part.

Eureka - not so much, as the cutesy bits that they like inserting got very much annoying.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #119 on: July 12, 2013, 12:47:47 AM

I thought the annoying part was the way they rebooted the timeline every single season.  "We've written ourselves into a corner?  TIME TRAVEL!!!"

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #120 on: July 15, 2013, 07:43:55 AM

I like this show, but man that last episode was painful. How many are they dead or not cliffhangers can we have!!?! Should we attempt to explain a damn thing about the McGuffin we've been chasing all season? Naw, we only got five minutes left - she runs in the cave, special effects and stuff happen, and um, love saves the day!

That combat scene near the end with Nolan and Irisa looked like something we filmed with a handycam in Highschool. Five minute sequence of single bad guys running in to the scene to stand there for five seconds before getting shot.

I still like the show though.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: July 15, 2013, 10:19:47 AM

They explained the macguffin an episode back.  They're the control units for a hidden votan warship that crashed on earth way back in time, which is what rose up out of the pit at the end there.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #122 on: July 15, 2013, 01:25:27 PM

And magically brought someone back to life through the power of Votan love?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #123 on: July 15, 2013, 02:19:50 PM

To be fair, if the Votan tech/magic can make a dead alien sit up and hop out of an acid bath, reviving a freshly dead human isn't really a stretch.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #124 on: July 15, 2013, 02:56:14 PM

To be fair, if the Votan tech/magic can make a dead alien sit up and hop out of an acid bath, reviving a freshly dead human isn't really a stretch.

--Dave

NANOGENES!!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 25, 2013, 01:04:25 PM

Quick question:

I watched the first few episodes and was not impressed.  After the third episode I didn't care about any of the characters, the cultures or the storyline.  Do you folks think that there is anything in the later episodes that would turn me around and make me care?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: July 25, 2013, 01:21:17 PM

Quick question:

I watched the first few episodes and was not impressed.  After the third episode I didn't care about any of the characters, the cultures or the storyline.  Do you folks think that there is anything in the later episodes that would turn me around and make me care?

It got better as it went along but it didn't become a "must see"-show. Forcing yourself to watch something for many episodes just because it might get better at some distant point is rarely worth it.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: July 25, 2013, 09:14:16 PM

Quick question:

It got better as it went along but it didn't become a "must see"-show. Forcing yourself to watch something for many episodes just because it might get better at some distant point is rarely worth it.
Tis what I thought. The description of the show made me think it had potential, but it fell far short of that potential in the first 3 episodes.  It just felt... blah.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: July 26, 2013, 04:15:08 AM

I'd say the weakness is character identification. I don't really like or care for anyone in the show. I enjoy it, but that element is really missing.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #129 on: July 26, 2013, 11:26:21 AM

I liked Irissa. But that was about it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: June 26, 2014, 12:59:36 PM

Season 2 started last week. Tonight is the second episode. The second season starts 9 months after the first one. Most every character is doing something else instead of what they were doing before. In the first episode they travelled to LA and Chicago, but it's all going to back to St. Louis in the next one.

Two cool callbacks in the first episode of this season to the first episode of the first season:

1. Hellbugs attacking someone in the forest.
2. Dad and daughter singing in the truck.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: June 26, 2014, 03:35:41 PM

Maybe that means I'll finally stop seeing the "Tick. Tick. Tick." ad.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: June 27, 2014, 06:06:48 AM

Bad guy trying to get a handy from the doctor was fucking hilarious.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #133 on: June 27, 2014, 08:35:12 AM

"You want me to check you for lumps?"

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: July 01, 2014, 06:32:55 PM

Despite almost deleting the episodes unwatched, I finally got around to the first one and really enjoyed it. I know it's not great art, but it'll do.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #135 on: July 01, 2014, 06:39:25 PM

"You've got your hot wookiee, all you need to do is call that hand cannon a "blaster" and the fantasy is complete."

Spectacular line from hot E-Rep chick.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #136 on: July 02, 2014, 07:29:38 AM

Grant Bowler, whom I thought was a bit boring in the last season, has become rather more animated and I'm enjoying his part a lot more.  He was good in that Kiwi series with the bloke from Banshee, but it was a different sort of acting.  Mean white H.G. Wells doesn't do an awful job going from soft to hard, but I wish she'd do her flirty submissive bits without moving her face around so much.  She makes me nervous.  She's good at playing baddies.  How come those white people aren't more wrinkly?  They spend way to much time in the bath.

I'm still not inspired to pick up the game again, though. 

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: July 02, 2014, 12:24:17 PM

TV show is better than the game is why.   awesome, for real
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: July 03, 2014, 03:48:42 AM

New season is going good so far.  Nice to see a bit more of the world and I agree, Grant Bowler is doing better.  The 'handy' scenes were funny and I liked the scene were the poor girl is in the bath with her mother in law!  It's pretty good all around, the E-Rep's are solid additons.  I like how they do these little slice of life scenes, like where ERep girl is making a propaganda film.  I guess I'm a bit put off by the ex-major now the cathouse owner (and sexual release provider?).  Seems really out of character for her.  Plus Julie Benz will be mine all mine someday!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: August 29, 2014, 10:02:50 AM

So season 2 ended with on ok story that actually had some scifi in it. No word yet on whether there's going to be season 3 but atleast it hasn't been cancelled yet. All in all I'd rather it did get a new season (especially considering the current offering on scifi tv-series front)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Defiance. The TV show, not the game...  
Jump to: