Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: 2.0 on PTS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2.0 on PTS  (Read 102373 times)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: March 15, 2013, 01:38:33 AM

...then I noticed I can't get any of the money I had in my "escrow account" out, even just to fill myself back up to the 350k limit. Ohhhhh, I see.

So how does escrow work then?
It's locked away until you subscribe, then you can use the money again... so yeah, it's just another way to get people to occasionally resub for a month if they want to actually buy stuff.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #106 on: March 15, 2013, 06:15:59 AM

It's annoying but fine I guess considering if the escrow account wasn't there, you could literally just grind and do smalltime AH baron stuff with mats until you had enough credits to buy damn near all of the major account features.

I bought unify colors, so if I can work up a couple mill more creds and buy an account-wide artifact, head slot, and tradeskill unlock I'd be pretty much 100% satisfied with never subbing or paying real $ for anything that wasn't real content.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #107 on: March 15, 2013, 11:44:47 AM

It's also nice for subscribers, in a way, because people put up shit like extra character slots for slightly less than a non-subscriber could possibly have, which is pretty inexpensive for a subscriber. :P

God Save the Horn Players
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: April 07, 2013, 12:01:57 PM

Anyone know if they upped the planetary comms? Should i log on and spend the ones I have?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: April 07, 2013, 01:44:23 PM

Not only did they not up the amount of planetary comms, they actually halved the cap, from 100 when 2.0 first hit Test to a cap of 50. However, they removed the weekly earning limit, which makes it okay I guess.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #110 on: April 07, 2013, 09:44:06 PM

I think I like that pretty well. It keeps you from wanting to just sit on them until the end, but doesn't punish you for playing too much.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #111 on: April 08, 2013, 12:52:11 AM

No cap on earning pleases me, lowering the cap on how much you can hold is ... okay, I think, although 50 is pretty low. We'll see how I feel after it goes into practice.  why so serious?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: April 08, 2013, 06:20:23 AM

Not ideal, but it's a better implementation.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: April 08, 2013, 08:38:40 AM

I just don't understand the need for limits. How does this make the game more fun?

Anyway I'm just bitching cuz I'm bummed about class stories.  Heartbreak Playing a ton of Tropico 4 and installing Wushu atm heh.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: April 08, 2013, 12:13:50 PM

I just don't understand the need for limits. How does this make the game more fun?

It doesn't. It's there for one reason, and this dude from the official forums on a topic about the new hella-restrictive caps across the board for subscribers says it well:

The caps are there for one reason only: To enforce a minimum calendar day commitment (i.e. subscription dollar spend) that you have to make in order to fully gear one character to level X.

If you read the recent interview on massively about how F2P Saved SWTOR, you'll see that Bioware's recurring nightmare with this game is having people blow through content they thought would last for months in just weeks or days. This is exactly what happened, according to James Ohlen: "Within four and five weeks, we suddenly had close to a half a million people at the endgame." They are now scared that the expansion they spent six months making will be "done" in a day or two by the same people who got to endgame in a month after launch. And they only way they can see to put the brakes on that is to choke people down to a snail's pace with a weekly throttle on the grinding.

The only problem is, it's not going to slow anyone down that is truly devoted to grinding 24x7. It will piss them off, but it won't stop them. It will just force people who play 24x7 to roll lots of alts in order to keep grinding . . . and given the obvious plague of altaholism that this game already suffers from, that's not all that surprising. If they truly want to stop people progressing at all except on their fixed time frame, then they will have to finally come to grips with and disable legacy mod smuggling. If a stealth patch mysteriously breaks the ability to trade or mail Bound to Legacy gear with mods inserted (while leaving you free to shuttle the gear around as long as it is empty), then you'll understand why.

For the same reasons, it won't actually "balance" anything you think it will, because people who play all day long will still have the ability to pile up loads of comms; they just need more toons to do it.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: April 08, 2013, 12:41:36 PM

I thought comms are going to be legacy-wide?  Which would pretty much invalidate that guy's whole rant.

Over and out.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: April 08, 2013, 12:58:33 PM

Comms are not legacy-wide.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: April 08, 2013, 01:35:44 PM

I see the low cap as good. It means you actually want to spend your comms instead of just hoarding them. That guy's rant makes no sense in the context of no weekly limit.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #118 on: April 08, 2013, 01:54:47 PM

. . . and given the obvious plague of altaholism that this game already suffers from, that's not all that surprising.

PLAGUE

Sorry, I was too busy being amused by that to post anything more interesting.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: April 08, 2013, 02:47:19 PM

I see the low cap as good. It means you actually want to spend your comms instead of just hoarding them. That guy's rant makes no sense in the context of no weekly limit.

The only comm type without a weekly limit are the Planetary ones. Every other type does, and those are what he was referring to.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #120 on: April 09, 2013, 02:01:42 AM

Aw yiss, guess who has his laugh back.

They made it more sensible, now you just laugh whenever you go from zero to one. I missed you, random chuckle.

Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #121 on: April 09, 2013, 06:41:59 AM

So 2.0 is live, and I guess they didn't have time to fix the bolster bug.

At level 50 right now, the best PvP gear is no gear at all. Naked warzones all round.

Edit: Oh, and half the people in my friends list are already lvl 55  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Spoke to one, who told me it took him about 6.5 hours to finish up the main storyline of Makeb with a few sidequests, which was enough to max him out.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:00:38 AM by Jherad »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: April 09, 2013, 02:56:43 PM

Some of my abilities have different icons, WORST PATCH EVER!  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: April 09, 2013, 03:37:53 PM

So I started out this morning with 1200 cartel coins on my account. Today, after flipping through all my alts, I now have 1700 through achievements.

Thanks, Obama!
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: April 09, 2013, 05:33:12 PM

So I started out this morning with 1200 cartel coins on my account. Today, after flipping through all my alts, I now have 1700 through achievements.

Thanks, Obama!

RAMPANT INFLATION!
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: April 09, 2013, 06:59:32 PM

Played about three hours of the xpac tonite and came away with a favorable impression.  The mission is interesting, the gameplay is fun and I like the new planet.  Had a a couple of blues and a purple drop.  So that was nice.  The gay-bashing got tiresome on general chat and other, more general, derp ensued.  My ignore button was overheating.

Not too many other negatives to report at this time.  I was entertained for three hours and look forward to more playing. 
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: April 10, 2013, 07:47:27 AM

I logged on last night for the first time in over a year and I had 6500 cartel coins. Bought some legacy unlocking packs.

Good times.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: April 10, 2013, 11:32:59 AM

From what I've seen so far they did a very good job with Makeb. I'd like more companion content but I understand why it isn't there. It's a pleasant surprise that they have area banter at least.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #128 on: April 10, 2013, 01:50:41 PM

The gay-bashing got tiresome on general chat and other, more general, derp ensued.  My ignore button was overheating.

There was some "bawwww, I don't wanna flirt with the DUDE" whining in general last night, which was so dumb as to give me a headache. There was also some fussing that the REPUBLIC gets HOT LESBIANS but the EMPIRE is stuck with an icky gay man. Fucking idiots.

Speaking of the Empire guy, I am amused that the character of mine that actually would work best with him as a romance is my lady sith warrior. :P

Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: April 10, 2013, 01:56:13 PM

Yeah, my overall impression with the Makeb PvE content is positive. I like that the big planet is split into ... episodes? With regards the storyline content. Lots of bitesized chunks so you can pick it up and put it down.

The PvP is a bit of a trainwreck, at least gearing wise, but they've acknowledged a bug or two with the bolster system (heh), so we'll see how it pans out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: April 10, 2013, 02:36:39 PM

The saving grace for them is that at least 55 PvP isn't borked.  Most of the people bitching will hit 55 and forget about the bolster issue til they fix it.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: April 10, 2013, 03:02:26 PM

Yeah, I think the WH/EWH gear is still relatively borked at 55, but it's completely obselete then anyway. I recall partisan and conqueror gear being absolutely fine as far as bolstering goes on the PTS.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: April 10, 2013, 03:10:14 PM

How much of it is an actual broken system and how much of it is just people who were used to having like 10 effective levels of gear over the plebs suddenly having to play well again?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: April 10, 2013, 09:54:13 PM

Honestly, I always thought that SWTOR max-level pvp was pretty bad... even compared to something like WOW. Removing all gear could only be an improvement.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: April 11, 2013, 01:52:01 AM

How much of it is an actual broken system and how much of it is just people who were used to having like 10 effective levels of gear over the plebs suddenly having to play well again?

It's broken in that removing certain pieces of armor (so that you're wearing nothing in the slot) actually makes your stats go up. Not all slots though, and it's somewhat dependent on how the stat budget for particular armor pieces was weighted. I've found removing my implants, belt, bracers, chest and helm nets me a DPS increase.

As I said though, its been acknowledged as a bug, so we'll see.

As for suddenly having to play well again - the opposite is the case at least for me. The expansion has brought a lot of people into the warzones who haven't the faintest clue, even with relatively equal gear. Its like taking candy from a baby. Or a whole bunch of babies.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #135 on: April 11, 2013, 02:02:48 AM

As for suddenly having to play well again - the opposite is the case at least for me. The expansion has brought a lot of people into the warzones who haven't the faintest clue, even with relatively equal gear. Its like taking candy from a baby. Or a whole bunch of babies.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ooh, I should go back into the BGs with my scoundrel again then, I had fallen out of the habit. But now there's achievements! And I am so close to one!

Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: April 11, 2013, 02:15:11 AM

I am a complete sucker for the achievements in warzones, I have to admit. Each warzone has its own set of them. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #137 on: April 11, 2013, 04:54:58 AM

I was hoping I'd have all of these free cartel coins when I logged in and I only ended up getting a couple hundred more. Also I got gypped; I didn't get achievements for clearing EV and Karagga's Palace on all 3 difficulties in both 8 and 16 man, and Explosive Conflict on both 8/16 man on Story and Hardmode. Booooo.

I might check out the expansion when I have time.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: April 11, 2013, 09:51:04 AM

I wish Sunday would finally get here so people in my guild can stop asking me why I'm not 51 yet. Three days before the expansion technically launches and most of my guild's not only already 55, but also racing like mad to get raid-geared ASAP.

Which, of course, means that come Sunday, I have about two days to not only get to 55, but also get geared from heroics before raids begin.  ACK!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: April 11, 2013, 10:53:30 AM

Crazy people! The only thing I've maxed out so far is gathering/mission skills, and not nearly on everyone yet.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: 2.0 on PTS  
Jump to: