Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:29:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 605763 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2100 on: January 30, 2018, 08:09:23 AM

Ant Man and Wasp trailer is rather nice.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2101 on: January 30, 2018, 08:16:09 AM

Giant Pez dispenser for the win.  why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2102 on: January 30, 2018, 08:42:07 AM

Looks fun. I mean, you can start to feel pretty bored with these films, but at least they do know how to pass the time in a reasonably fun way. I'm glad they're at least trying a bit to think about how to stage powered action that doesn't feel like it's mostly about minimizing the expense of staging powered action. I don't think they've found a director yet who has some game-changing ideas about how to structure action scenes that are built around superpowers beyond the "faster, better, stronger" type.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2103 on: January 30, 2018, 09:25:50 AM

phew

i was worried disney would care about shitty heroes
A lot of us really liked some of these Netflix seasons.  It would have sucked if they pulled the plug on all of these shows. 

It is starting to look like the plan is to bring some real heavy hitters as a live action TV Series (X-factor, X-men, etc... - something that can be as important as the live action Star Wars) on the new Disney streaming service and then keep shows on other networks (including Netflix, Hulu, Freeform, ABC, Fox, etc...)   I wonder if this is pointing to a multi-verse approach like DC/CW uses where these stories will all be tied together - theoretically - in a multiverse made up of a few shared universes.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2104 on: January 30, 2018, 05:37:17 PM

Those Netflix shows are the best thing Marvel has going, and i really love the MCU. Cept iron fist, fuck him right the fuck out of there.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2105 on: January 31, 2018, 06:54:08 AM

Yes, I like it all, except Iron Fist which was total and utter shite.  It amazes me it was so WRONG.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2106 on: January 31, 2018, 08:01:27 AM

Probably shouldn't pick your main character based on how much they resemble a drawing instead of on actual acting talent.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2107 on: January 31, 2018, 10:15:31 AM

I'm almost finished watching the Iron Fist season, and I really don't have any problem with Finn Jones as an actor or as Danny Rand. Colleen Wing is awesome and the show would be a million times better if it was about her. But literally everything else about that show was just utter shit. The writing was bad to start and got worse as the show went on, the choreography was all over the place and mostly bad and the direction was lazy and cheap. Finn Jones had nothing to work with as an actor, or more to the point, he had too much to work with, none of it good and all of it inconsistent with both the history of the character and even with itself from scene to scene.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2108 on: January 31, 2018, 11:41:54 AM

I really got the feeling, though, that the shittiness of the action choreography was because Jones was shitty at it--that they were handcuffed by his limitations as a physical actor.

Which is of course their fault--I think it's pretty clear that in a show that has to showcase martial arts, they didn't cast an actor comfortable with that kind of material and they didn't cast a director with any facility for it. I grant that in this day and age, the bar is crazy high for doing great martial arts action. But conversely, the bar is not that high for doing competent martial arts action, because there's plenty of material to lightly repurpose and restage. And you can do great stuff still--Into the Badlands manages to do at least one great fight scene per episode, sometimes more than one.

I think the other thing is that they simply didn't have a game plan for making the material match the relevance of the other three Netflix shows. Each one of those has an idea in mind: to explore Murdock as a tormented Catholic attracted to violent self-righteousness; to explore Jones and others as survivors of mental and literal rape; to explore Cage as a living expression of black hope in Harlem. Danny Rand is just kind of there. There's a few feints in possibly interesting directions, but they don't have a plan. The best plan would really have been to make Danny a white mediocrity who got a power that was meant for someone else--and thus to really, really reconceptualize Davos. They could have even done something really uncomfortable by making the plan to give Danny the power a secret attempt by the power structure of K'un L'un to get access to Western economic and political influence--e.g., make the whitewashing something that is literally happening and being referenced in the series itself. Then Danny's in an interesting position once he knows it--he can't give the power back to Davos, he has to do the best he can with what he's lucked onto, and he's bouncing between self-loathing and self-congratulation.

But something at least! Some take, some idea, some hook. They just didn't have it. I know I keep saying this, but it really surprised me given how much thought went into the conceptual framing of the other three shows. If they can't come up with something by the next round, the show's not going to really improve, even if they hire a better action showrunner and Jones learns a few moves.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2109 on: January 31, 2018, 02:45:12 PM

There are plenty of interesting concepts of Kun'Lun (even the legacy of the Iron Fist that they touch on with the film of Randall the Iron First from the '40's) but they instead decided to spend half the time with the retard Meachum children and their drama, despite neither actor nor character being in any way interesting.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2110 on: January 31, 2018, 03:07:13 PM

There are plenty of interesting concepts of Kun'Lun (even the legacy of the Iron Fist that they touch on with the film of Randall the Iron First from the '40's) but they instead decided to spend half the time with the retard Meachum children and their drama, despite neither actor nor character being in any way interesting.

Then defenders came out and it turns out the entire purpose of the iron fist was to stop a shadowy organization of like, 50 guys in suits who didn't know kung fu either.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2111 on: January 31, 2018, 08:03:52 PM

Those 2 actors were fucking awful.  So was the Dad.  So was most everyone.  It was bad soap opera something.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2112 on: February 01, 2018, 09:29:00 AM

I don't think anyone will argue that they could have done a much better Iron Fist. 

However, I think they'd have been better off not doing Iron Fist as a series, but instead doing 1 Season Luke Cage, then 1 Season Heroes for Hire that made Iron Fist the Watson to Luke Cage's Sherlock (you know what I mean).  Shround his background in mystery and hint at it, but take your time before doing yet another origin story. 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2113 on: February 01, 2018, 11:08:56 AM

Yeah, that's another good way to do it, really. Just have Iron Fist be the sidekick in a buddy-cop scenario. The Heroes for Hire thing has always been a great idea on a fundamental level.

When you think about it, Iron Fist was never a great character until Brubaker found a hook for him--he was just a bad attempt to cash in on the martial arts fad of the 1970s, and even in Marvel's take on that fad, secondary to Shang-Chi. The only time he worked at all as a character was as Luke Cage's buddy.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2114 on: February 01, 2018, 12:35:34 PM

Lack of imagination of Netflix writers end that broke Iron Fist. They've been writing the same "tone" of story for the Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and Luke Cage. And though this tone works, better for daredevil, surprisingly well for Jessica Jones, and middling for Luke Cage (it was great despite the tone it took). Its pretty well consistent as with the tone of DC movies. Lucky for netflix it works most of the time, so we have very little complaints... until it doesn't which is basically where iron fist stands. Iron fist is a character of born from depression, oppression, and the general sense that life shits on you from a very high place. They needed a different tone and they refused, wrote around it and gave us a mediocre plot for it. This is the best they could do because they were too stubborn to break the wheel that works.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2115 on: April 27, 2018, 09:29:04 AM

I thought it might be fun to rewatch all of the Marvel works prior to Avengers 4.  If I planned to watch 1 episode or movie a day, I'd need to start.... right about now to watch everything Marvel has released before Avengers 4 is released.  There will be over 350 episodes/shorts/movies b ythe time the next Avengers rolls around. 

That blows my mind.

Of course, if I want to see the stuff that really matters for Avengers 4, I apparently only need to see about 21 movies and maybe a few shorts.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2116 on: April 29, 2018, 05:48:03 PM

In the Empire film podcast on April 27, among other things, they interview Joe and Anthony Russo on a range of topics, including what's different about working with Marvel.

I'm putting this here instead of the Infinity War thread, because they only talk to the Russo's about that movie incidentally, i.e. they're on the press tour for it, but the interview itself is mostly about other topics.

Quote from: Joe Russo, at about 50:40 in the podcast
A lot of largesse in the studio system. It's a corporate structure, a corporate environment. I think why Marvel works so well is, it's Kevin. Kevin makes the decisions, and Kevin talks to you directly every day. It's like, you want to get things done, you pick up the phone and you text Kevin. And that makes it very easy to work. There aren't layers and layers of people who can't make decisions 'cause they're trying to predict what it is that their boss wants. You're just talking to the boss all the time.

The interview with the Russo brothers starts in minute 29 of the podcast.

The Empire non-spoilery review of Infinity War starts in minute 59.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2117 on: April 30, 2018, 01:56:38 AM

I thought it might be fun to rewatch all of the Marvel works prior to Avengers 4.  If I planned to watch 1 episode or movie a day, I'd need to start.... right about now to watch everything Marvel has released before Avengers 4 is released.  There will be over 350 episodes/shorts/movies b ythe time the next Avengers rolls around.  

That blows my mind.

Of course, if I want to see the stuff that really matters for Avengers 4, I apparently only need to see about 21 movies and maybe a few shorts.

The size of the MCU is indeed remarkable. But stuff that *really matters* you can skip about half of it.

If you don't insist on hero origins you only really need avengers1&2, CA1-3, gotg1, strange, and I guess thor2 (though I'd skip it on principle).

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2118 on: April 30, 2018, 02:02:02 AM

Wait, why need to watch Thor 2 specifically?

Also, if you don't watch Thor 3, the beginning of Infinity Wars is not going to make any sense at all. 

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2119 on: April 30, 2018, 03:33:41 AM

It involves the Aether Stone, I would guess. And in the credits teaser it mentions the existence of the Infinity stones. But frankly you wouldnt have to see it just for that.

Hic sunt dracones.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2120 on: April 30, 2018, 05:13:06 AM

Ah, yeah, forgot about the stone.  While it was just a small part of that movie overall, still, if you want to be a completionist on everything leading up to the end point of the entire 10 year movie arc (Infinity Wars), you'll probably want to see where all of the stones came from.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2121 on: May 10, 2018, 06:51:57 AM

Daredevil, etc... can now be downloaded on Netflix.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2122 on: May 16, 2018, 02:43:22 PM

Upcoming MCU:

Cloak and Dagger (18/06/07) - weekly release
Luke Cage 2 (18/06/22)
Ant-man and Wasp (18/07/06)
Punisher Season 2 (~ 18/10)
Runaways Season 2 (~ 18/11)
Daredevil Season 3 (~ 18/12)
New Warriors? (~18/?? – Likely on new Disney Streaming Service)
Iron Fist Season 2 (~ 19/02)
Captain Marvel (19/03/08)
Avengers 4 (19/05/03)
MAOS Season 6 (~ 19/06) - Weekly release
Spider-man 2 (19/07/05)
GotG 3 (~20/??)

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2123 on: May 16, 2018, 03:07:09 PM

That date formatting is making my head hurt.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2124 on: May 16, 2018, 07:50:56 PM

I may watch 4 of those. 
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2125 on: May 16, 2018, 08:08:57 PM

Luke Cage 2 (06/18/22)
Ant-man and Wasp (07/06/18)
Punisher Season 2 (~ 10/18)
Daredevil Season 3 (~ 12/18)
Iron Fist Season 2 (~ 02/19)
Captain Marvel (03/08/19)
Avengers 4 (03/05/19)
Spider-man 2 (05/07/19)
GotG 3 (~??/20)

A quick filter for for the shit parade shows, IE anything not on netflix but that's more readable.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:01:18 AM by MediumHigh »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2126 on: May 16, 2018, 10:02:39 PM

Now my head hurts even more.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2127 on: May 17, 2018, 09:51:57 AM

That date formatting is making my head hurt.
I think that is the hangover.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2128 on: July 13, 2018, 01:18:17 PM

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2129 on: July 19, 2018, 12:53:32 PM

Comcast effectively dropped out of the bidding for Fox - making the Disney re-acquisition of the X-men, FF, etc.. almost a certainty.  Just a matter of timing, now.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2130 on: July 20, 2018, 01:15:37 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2131 on: July 20, 2018, 01:23:06 PM

Live by the tweet, die by the tweet. Or something.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2132 on: July 20, 2018, 02:26:15 PM

Oh for fuck's sake.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2133 on: July 20, 2018, 02:31:04 PM

The internet was a mistake.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2134 on: July 20, 2018, 02:33:44 PM

https://twitter.com/DLJGameReviews/status/1020410685501698048

DarkLordJadow1
‏ @DLJGameReviews

"James Gunn has been fired from Marvel..."

No,

"... for six-year-old offensive tweets he's apologized for..."

No, no,

"... because Republicans are still loudly complaining that Roseanne got canned for being offensive but no Democrats did."

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

DarkLordJadow1
‏ @DLJGameReviews

So Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is compromised because either Marvel or Disney caved in to feigned and manufactured outrage from political zealots.

That's what it boils down to, folx. And ya sorry for political post but fuck sake.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: