Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:36:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 605727 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1995 on: July 11, 2017, 11:43:25 AM

I just worry that it will be too silly.  Here is hoping it walks the line.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1996 on: July 11, 2017, 12:23:13 PM

Oh yeah, the hot AT&T woman.

It sounds like they are definitely going for comedy with that casting, but yeah, she is smoking.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1997 on: July 11, 2017, 12:57:28 PM

We don't really have a catchall MCU thread for the TV stuff so I'll just mention it here, but Milana Vayntrub has been cast as Squirrel Girl in the New Warriors series pretty much ensuring that I'll have to give it at least a couple episodes to hook me. Also Derek Theler has been cast as Mister Immortal, making this sound as much a Great Lakes Avengers show as it is the New Warriors.
Oh God, Yeah, count me in. I LOVE her.

Oh yeah, the hot AT&T woman.

It sounds like they are definitely going for comedy with that casting, but yeah, she is smoking.

Go check out Other Space, which should(?) still be free on the husk of Yahoo TV.  Paul Feige (Bridesmaids, etc.) directed, also starring Joel and Crowe from MST3K the nerdy Indian dude from Verizon commercials/cab driver in Deadpool in basically American Red Dwarf.

She is one of the funnier people on the show, mostly because her character is batshit crazy.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1998 on: August 07, 2017, 11:39:21 AM

Updated dates as I know them that are coming up in the next year - 10 to 13 MCU opportunities in the next year, roughly.

8/18 The Defenders (Netflix)
9/1 Inhumans in Theaters (and 9/29 Inhumans on TV) (ABC)
11/3 Thor Ragnarock
11/17 The Punisher (Netlfix - estimated date - should get official date soon - confirmed for 2017)
11/21 Runaways
11/24 Agents of Shield: Season 5 (ABC - could be later, but they are indicating it kicks off right after Inhumans)

2/??? Jessica Jones 2 (Estimated as 9 or 10 months after start of filming - could be as late as May)
2/26 Black Panther
5/4 Infinity War
7/6 Ant-man and Wasp

Other things that likely fit into the first half of 2018, but dates technically TBD:

Daredevil 3 (Netflix - guessing before end of July, but could be as late as September - or 4ish months after Jessica Jones 2).
Cloak and Dagger (Freeform - filming already done - originally scheduled for Fall 2017 - Freeform likes January releases),

Also:
Luke Cage Season 2 - (Netflix - Filming began in June so there is a chance we could see it in summer 2018 as the norm for these is 10 to 13 months from start of film to premiere, but squeezing it in with everything else seems unlikely - probably held to late 2018).
New ABC Series from John Ridley -  Nothing concrete, but Sub-mariner is a popular rumor based upon clues
New Warriors - (Freeform - date TBD, but unlikely before summer 2018)
Damage Control - Likely dead, but never pronounced.  Paul Lee keeps the rumors alive.  Given that Spider-man Homecoming introduced them, likely dead.
Agent Carter - Rumors of a revival miniseries for a summer showing are likely just rumors - however, may get wrapped up in a few episodes of MAoS. 
New ABC Series discussed by Paul Lee - When discussing Damage Control, Paul Lee said a second 'comedy' was in development - unlikely to develop at this point - leading theory was "Bob, Agent of Hydra".

Also: There is a growing rumor (seeimingly based primarily upon timing of MAoS episodes and the space theme) that the integration between MAoS and Infinity War will exceed the interaction they had between MAoS and Winter Soldier - which means more glorified fan fiction. 

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1999 on: August 07, 2017, 01:06:57 PM

9/1 Inhumans in Theaters

Head scratch

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2000 on: August 07, 2017, 01:10:23 PM

The premiere 2 episodes is going to be shown in IMAX theaters first before TV, for some fucking reason. It's really going to show just how fucking badly that production is done.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2001 on: August 07, 2017, 01:11:23 PM

Also the IMAX theater version is 10 minutes shorter than the TV version for some reason.

http://heroichollywood.com/inhumans-imax-shorter-tv/
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2002 on: August 07, 2017, 01:11:55 PM

What... why would you...

Who the fuck does ABC have running this operation? Pee Wee fucking Herman?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2003 on: August 07, 2017, 01:23:01 PM

What... why would you...
More money, if you can get people to watch both versions.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2004 on: August 07, 2017, 01:35:36 PM

Based on that trailer, I think it's asking an awful lot of people to sit through it once.  why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2005 on: August 07, 2017, 01:39:59 PM

Especially in IMAX where you can't even look away or look at your smartphone.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2006 on: August 07, 2017, 02:04:03 PM

The premiere 2 episodes is going to be shown in IMAX theaters first before TV, for some fucking reason. It's really going to show just how fucking badly that production is done.

It's a weekend where there are literally no new wide-release movies coming out in the theaters and the weekend before that, the top earner of the new movies coming out is only projected to do around $4 million. It's a horrible idea to put this thing in theaters, but it's an idea that seems to at least partly come about due to theaters have fuck all else to show that week.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2007 on: August 07, 2017, 03:56:32 PM

#1: None of the effects we've seen are final.  Marvel folks are apparently irked that people are judging the effects, etc... based upon released snippets.  They've said the effects for the series, and the first two 'episodes' specifically, are better than we've ever seen on MAoS (and that MAoS next season will have improved effects as well - which they better have if they're going to space).

#2: The cuts between the theater version and the TV version are basically the elements that set up the next episodes on TV.  The IMAX version is supposed to stand alone and hold up.  Supposed to.  We'll see.

#3: Everything is pointing at this being a train wreck - except Marvel has yet to put a train wreck in theaters.  I know this is different, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and go see it, even if everything continues to point down on this one. 

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2008 on: August 07, 2017, 04:12:41 PM

So the stuff they put in the trailers, to entice people into wanting to see the show, wasn't their best work? Just placeholder art? So, they aren't incompetent at making the show, just at promoting it?

Fuck that. I haven't heard that they fired their entire marketing team, so it is a pretty safe bet that somebody pretty high up the food chain looked at that and saw absolutely nothing wrong with it, and is still making the decisions.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2009 on: August 07, 2017, 04:23:40 PM

#3: Everything is pointing at this being a train wreck - except Marvel has yet to put a train wreck in theaters.  I know this is different, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and go see it, even if everything continues to point down on this one. 

You're right about one thing, this is different. The TV side of Marvel has never put anything in theaters. Trying to conflate their track record with that of the movie side is a little disingenuous even with the caveat. It's like if you showed up to my work and told people that between the two of us we have 10+ years of experience on the job. It's technically true but it doesn't actually mean anything.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2010 on: August 07, 2017, 05:32:16 PM

Apparently most of the cast, the director and Jeph Loeb got REALLY shirty with the press at a panel in response even to some pretty basic not-hostile questions about why the show got made and early reactions to it.

I'm guessing now that the whole thing is a kind of strange hangover of an earlier MCU development phase, some of which was pushed hard onto Marvel Comics writers, and that the more they did development, the more they realized: these characters are not going to make it as a film. But it's hard to resist the call to make good on sunken costs, so Loeb probably agreed to push it into TV to try and somehow recoup all the effort to make the characters work in the comics, and the TV folks realized as they got into it: there is no fucking way, these characters are ridiculous unless you have a really smart take on them and a lot of money. And now Marvel Studios is realizing that somehow they've gotten involved with something that looks almost as bad as superheroes on TV used to look, way back in the day.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2011 on: August 07, 2017, 06:07:20 PM

It's mostly due to the acrimonious split between the TV and Movie sides of Marvel. Ike Perlmutter got forced out of the movie stuff by Feige and he's the guy largely responsible for trying to push the Inhumans so hard (in the comics also) since Fox has the movie rights for the X-men. Perlmutter is still in charge of the TV side so this is the last way he can try to force his agenda.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2012 on: August 07, 2017, 06:52:59 PM

That makes sense. Perlmutter is supposedly a massive douchebag.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2013 on: August 07, 2017, 08:42:41 PM

#1: None of the effects we've seen are final.  Marvel folks are apparently irked that people are judging the effects, etc... based upon released snippets. 

If this is indeed true, then they are bigger fucking idiots than I thought. You do not release a 2+ minute trailer to Comic-Con (or anywhere else for that matter) if you aren't pretty close to final effects. You release teasers, you show as little as possible. You build anticipation. The fact that somebody somewhere thought what they were showing was good enough to actually make people want to watch this for anything other than to see if it's really as shitty as it looks tells me the TV marketing people are complete fucking tool belts full of actual tools.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2014 on: August 07, 2017, 08:55:52 PM

People bitch that the first snippets have pretty much no effects. Then they bitch that the minimal mid-process effects look weak.

This is being assembled on a TV timeframe. TV shows are not final 6 months in advance for publicity.

The effects are going to be weaker than Avengers flicks. They'll be better than MAOS (according to Marvel).

We'll just have to wait and see.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2015 on: August 08, 2017, 12:57:07 AM

You're still arguing that we shouldn't judge them as being incompetent at making the show because they have only demonstrated incompetence at promoting it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2016 on: August 08, 2017, 01:53:42 AM

Also, they can keep repeating that the effects aren't done as an excuse for why their marketing is bad, but they could add Avengers-level special effects in there and it wouldn't make the acting or the writing any better. And again, it should be pointed out that the showrunner here is the same guy behind Iron Fist which is the most universally disliked piece of MCU content that Marvel has put out.

I'm not sure what's supposed to make me optimistic here. I'm looking at the episode directors for some glimmer of hope and we've got people like the guy who directed the Donnie Darko "sequel" S. Darko, and Joss Whedon's brother's wife's brother.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2017 on: August 08, 2017, 02:43:01 AM

I would rather hope that a show launching half a decade later than a show has better effects than the other show.

But watching tv shows and expecting the effects to blow you away would be a poor strategy for seeking earthly entertainment.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2018 on: December 04, 2017, 02:13:09 PM

Talks are heating back up that could result in the House of Mouse acquiring Fox entertainment legs before the end of the month, including all of the important Marvel rights returning home.  If that happens, I would expect to see some Mutant movie and the Fantastic Four in 2021.  You might even here them dub in the word mutant into an upcoming film. 

I theorized a ways back that Avengers 4 might end up being a reset button that allows them to reshape the MCU, recast folks, and change continuity - including being a great time to write in FF and Mutants.  It would be the ideal timing to make that happen...

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2019 on: December 04, 2017, 06:15:36 PM

X-Men rights returning to Marvel aside, I can't say I'm thrilled with the notion of Disney controlling what would probably be around 1/3 of the movie studio market share.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2020 on: December 05, 2017, 12:31:16 AM

They have done such a thorough job of destroying the FF movie IP in the last decade I'd like to think it will be decades more before they ever try again.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2021 on: December 05, 2017, 03:24:09 AM

X-Men rights returning to Marvel aside, I can't say I'm thrilled with the notion of Disney controlling what would probably be around 1/3 of the movie studio market share.

Hey, in the 21st century de facto monopolies are the new hot thing everywhere else, so why NOT movies too?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2022 on: December 05, 2017, 05:31:42 AM

They have done such a thorough job of destroying the FF movie IP in the last decade I'd like to think it will be decades more before they ever try again.

Frankly they would be better off taking the Roger Corman Movie, jazzing up the effects, redubbing Doc Doom so you can hear what the hell he is saying, CGIing the Thing, and releasing it. Its the best of the lot of them.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2023 on: December 05, 2017, 06:03:47 AM

But Jessica Alba....

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2024 on: December 05, 2017, 06:41:39 AM

... continues to make bad career choices. Therefore those films were undeniable crap that can't be salvaged by a little JA time any more than "The Mechanic: Resurrection" could.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2025 on: December 05, 2017, 06:45:07 AM

True, of course.  But Jessica Alba....

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2026 on: December 05, 2017, 08:33:33 AM

We'll always have Idle Hands.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2027 on: December 05, 2017, 10:13:29 AM

We'll always have Idle Hands.
Ironically, not while watching it.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2028 on: December 05, 2017, 12:41:27 PM

awesome, for real

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2029 on: December 12, 2017, 12:40:17 PM

There is some question as to rights limitations on some of the Fox held characters right now.  Specifically, there might be some rights held by Constantin Film:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/12/12/what-would-disney-fox-deal-mean-for-fantastic-four/

Seemingly, Constantin holds the production rights while Fox holds the distribution rights.  Constantin can product a FF film by itself, but can't distribute it without Fox.  When Fox rights go to Marvel, Marvel would seemingly have an incentive to 'starve' Constantin by refusing to distribute anything Constantin makes so that it makes no sense for a FF film to be made before the 7 year clock expires. (2022 t- meaning no film before 2024 as they don't want to start prepping a film that Constantin could hold hostage).  However, Constantin could likely sue Marvel and force them to distribute a movie they produced.  However, it may just be in the best interest of all to just cash Constantin out or give them a piece of the pie in exchange for production rights.

Honestly, I'd rather see Marvel do a flat reboot in 2022.  Avengers 3 in 2018, Avengers 4 in 2019 and a Final Avengers with the current crew in 2021 - and then reboot everything starting Summer 2022 with the characters being introduced in roughly the same order as the comics: Start with WWII Invaders as an Avengers precursor, then give us FF, Hulk and Spider-man, Thor, Itron Man, Doc Strange, X-men, etc... although with some rejiggering to avoid WHITE MAN EVERYWHERE.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: