Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:00:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Camelot Unchained 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Camelot Unchained  (Read 188752 times)
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

on: February 05, 2013, 07:20:21 AM

Ummm, wow?

http://citystateentertainment.com/camelotunchained/

Mark Jacobs is going to attempt to remake DAoC with his new company utilizing Kickstarter.  Obviously the content within DAoC and what Camelot Unchained proposes to use is Public Domain, but will EA stand by idly while MJ basically does a remake of one of their IPs?  Assuming of course CU ever gets off the ground.  Maybe he'll attempt to make it just different enough to get by, or maybe he's banking on EA not caring since DAoC is hardly a cash cow these days.  Should be interesting regardless!

most often known as Drevik
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:22:49 AM

"Unchained"  rolleyes

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:24:12 AM

"Unchained"  rolleyes

Almost seems like he's daring EA to take notice doesn't it?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:26:37 AM

Eh, I figured hes sitting around going...

Need a name...
Camelot ...Camelot ...uh.....
*Django Unchained Trailer comes on*...
UNCHANGED! Unchained!
Camelot Unchained!

awesome, for real

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:28:57 AM

There's an interview up on Massively:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/05/rvr-unchained-mark-jacobs-returns-to-camelot/

"Do you see this as the spiritual successor to Dark Age of Camelot?

No, not really. While legally I would be able to make a spiritual successor to Dark Age of Camelot, I would rather focus on making this game great rather than on it as a sequel. I want this one to stand on its own, even if it does draw on some of the same literature and traditions.

I'd like it to be very clear that we are not making a sequel. I won't try to tell DAoC players that our new project will meet all their desires in this regard. I have always valued their trust, so while I want the people who played my past games to look at this one and get excited, I won't go around shouting that it's the "spiritual successor to the greatest RvR MMO evar!" I'd rather simply say that we are working on a great concept for a new RvR-focused MMO that draws on some familiar European myths and legends, then go from there."

Emphasis mine.  I guess that answers that question.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 07:36:54 AM

So he's drawing on WAR then?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 07:48:26 AM

The people who made DAoC are now making TESO, Mark Jacobs made WAR.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 07:52:21 AM

Gave the same eyeroll to "Unchained" as everyone else. At least it's just a working title.

Other than that, I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out. I like what's he's said so far, now let's see if he can actually do it.
Shaje
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 08:15:07 AM

The Abe Lincoln gag got me. Bravo!
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 08:33:26 AM

Which are the people who made Trials of Atlantis? I don't want to play that game. I want to play the game made by the people who made Shrouded Isles.
Feverdream
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 08:53:59 AM

I'd like to get excited over this, but he's always been great at talking about what is planned (for DAOC, for Warhammer, for this new venture, whatever).  I'm too cynical after the Warhammer debacle to do more than eyeroll now.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 09:29:40 AM

I missed out on DAoC. I played it when it was first released, but it looked to me too much like an Everquest clone and I didn't last long. It was only much later that I heard how much fun the RvR endgame was supposed to be, and this was when the game was pretty old and I didn't fancy starting out as a newbie.

So maybe this will be a second chance!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 09:38:19 AM

After the debacle that was WAR and Jacobs dickish insistence that the game was just fine, needed no EXP adjustments and left people stranded at Tier 2 with nothing to do but repeat the same shitty content, he can go fuck himself.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 10:09:18 AM

Ahahahahahahaha...

People who fund this get what they deserve.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:10:11 AM

I will buy it.  I will play it.  I will bitch about it. 

I know myself all too well.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 10:10:32 AM

Ahahahahahahaha...

People who fund this get what they deserve.

Nothing at all, followed by disappointment?

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 10:23:45 AM

I missed out on DAoC. I played it when it was first released, but it looked to me too much like an Everquest clone and I didn't last long. It was only much later that I heard how much fun the RvR endgame was supposed to be, and this was when the game was pretty old and I didn't fancy starting out as a newbie.

So maybe this will be a second chance!

I doubt you will ever get what DAoC had originally ever again. Different time/expectations and all that. It's similar to how some people have all that nostalgia over the old EQ raids or whatever.

We can't go home again.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 10:24:41 AM

I wish him luck, but I won't be playing.  I'm just not into subscription games any more.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 10:26:53 AM

At least "the team" page is kind of entertaining

Mark's

Michelle Davies
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 10:42:47 AM

I will buy it.  I will play it.  I will bitch about it. 

I know myself all too well.

This.

But if they can figure out how to combine the greatness of tier 1 PvP/RvR with long term character advancement...  Maybe that's asking too much.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 10:43:23 AM

If they promise to leave out the /face command, I'll send them a little money. You never know where the next decent PvP game is going to come from.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 10:59:10 AM

If they promise to leave out the /face command, I'll send them a little money. You never know where the next decent PvP game is going to come from.

Get rid of /face and /stick and I'd love the game.  Also, LESS FUCKING CC PLEASE!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 11:11:30 AM

Which are the people who made Trials of Atlantis? I don't want to play that game. I want to play the game made by the people who made Shrouded Isles.

The 2nd pointless PVE expansion with ill-fitting lore was bad, but you really miss the first pointless PVE expansion with ill-fitting lore?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 11:14:53 AM

Get rid of /face and /stick and I'd love the game.  Also, LESS FUCKING CC PLEASE!

/face and /stick weren't a problem, the problem was the interrupt system. There are a million twitch PVP games you can play - like literally every other game - if you don't want /face and /stick.

They probably won't be in, but I'll consider that a mistake.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 11:35:42 AM

/stick to an enemy made assist trains overly potent.  /face was a crutch used by keyboard turners and people with poor situational awareness.

This game will also fail if they don't make positional data server side.  I would think that WG has proven that keeping these things server side does a lot to limit cheat programs. 

-  Mark Twain
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 12:32:44 PM

The 2nd pointless PVE expansion with ill-fitting lore was bad, but you really miss the first pointless PVE expansion with ill-fitting lore?

Yes.

- I didn't give two crap about the lore
-added classes was good for rvr
-UI changes and QOL improvements from additional mod ability, to being able to purchase stacks of items
-added leveling areas, made leveling faster so you could get through PVE faster.
-healing improvements which improved RvR healing and RP gain for rezzing
-class changes that improved warriors/hunters, sorc and theurg.  Nerfed stealth class RAs, LAxe nerfs which brought out the whiners
-introduction of respec stones
-first-party windows mode (instead of daocx)
-NEW HATS!
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 12:48:31 PM

please hire PB please
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 12:49:17 PM

Prediction: Within 48 hours of release there will be an obvious bug and they will announce they are "collecting metrics" on the problem.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 01:10:21 PM

/stick to an enemy made assist trains overly potent.  /face was a crutch used by keyboard turners and people with poor situational awareness.

This game will also fail if they don't make positional data server side.  I would think that WG has proven that keeping these things server side does a lot to limit cheat programs.  

Assist trains were potent because a character being hit by someone couldn't function. If a healer could heal through being attacked assist trains would have been much less useful, an active interrupt system would have meant spreading people out against targets, which means more people live longer in a fight, which is just generally a plus. /stick in particular also tends to make melee a little more viable which is often a problem in these games.

The thing I like about /stick and /face is it slows down the twitchy aspect of things and you get a more strategic pace in your combat. I'm not interested in testing the skills that removing them tests - bunny hopping, circle strafing, etc., all that stuff is lame IMO.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 01:28:23 PM

The thing I like about /stick and /face is it slows down the twitchy aspect of things and you get a more strategic pace in your combat. I'm not interested in testing the skills that removing them tests - bunny hopping, circle strafing, etc., all that stuff is lame IMO.

Circle strafing and window dragging were only effective because the positional data was client side.  If the positional info was client side you wouldn't need /stick and /face. 

I personally liked the interrupt mechanic.  It forced casters to think a lot more about positioning in a battle.  I played casters, healers, and utility classes a lot in DAoC and interrupts never bothered me.  They were a strong reminder that my situational awareness and spacing needed more work. 

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 02:00:26 PM

When I heard about this I couldn't wait to read about the thread on here.  Then I was disappointed when a few people were excited.

Sigh.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 02:35:30 PM

Circle strafing and window dragging were only effective because the positional data was client side.  If the positional info was client side you wouldn't need /stick and /face. 

I personally liked the interrupt mechanic.  It forced casters to think a lot more about positioning in a battle.  I played casters, healers, and utility classes a lot in DAoC and interrupts never bothered me.  They were a strong reminder that my situational awareness and spacing needed more work. 

I've always suspected you were a Dumbo Nebu, now you've confirmed it.  Ohhhhh, I see.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 02:36:53 PM

Circle strafing and window dragging were only effective because the positional data was client side. 

Circle strafing is obnoxious as hell in *every* game. Maybe less in GW2 since every attack seems to be an AE of sorts, but still obnoxious.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 03:05:18 PM

He is nothing without Paul Barnett, I hope they merge to form greatness again!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 03:13:40 PM

I've always suspected you were a Dumbo Nebu, now you've confirmed it.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Feel free to disagree with me.  What's with the insults?

-  Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Camelot Unchained  
Jump to: