Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:21:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Patch: 1/28/13 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch: 1/28/13  (Read 55279 times)
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 12:47:14 PM

vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 01:32:32 PM

Not sure if it is patch related but I noticed under your account you can now remove networks that you have previously remembered.  This one was bugging me so I'm glad to see that.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 03:41:35 PM

Oh god, literally half of all GW2 players are going to set their password to 'correcthorsebatterystaple'.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 08:45:19 PM

Huh, starting to patch, may check it out tomorrow. How's that Living Story stuff? Also liking the ongoing Elementalist changes. What's kept me out is largely Orr. I didn't hate it. But for the way I can play (mostly solo, maybe group once a week), it was hoping/following zergs in one of the three Orr zones. Various changes from waypoints to mob density reductions seem like they could make that easier (man just having ONE more uncontestable Straights waypoint probably went a long way for folks), but the Living Stories has got me curious.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 09:03:49 PM

There's really not much to the living world content yet.  If you didn't know it was specifically going on, you'd probably think it was just normal zone content, honestly.  

Orr however is drastically improved, I finally went back to get zone completion on all three zones the last few nights, and didn't have any major problems, as well as finally getting my story quests caught up to the last step.  Still don't really feeling like dealing with the dungeon though  Ohhhhh, I see.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 09:47:15 PM

umm. i ignored the living world - just doing daily n logging.
this isn't their fault - but i really couldn't care after what happened in Lost Shores.
What was the point of that map again?
A giant crab attacking Tyria or something?
Now it's a ghost town. A waste of asset. Why o why didn't they put Fractals entrance there instead of Lion's Arch?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 12:43:49 AM

The whole point of Lost Shores felt like them proving they could come out with new content quickly after launch. Only they couldn't really so it felt incredibly rushed and unfinished.
That said they did add fractals as well in that update and they should have probably just added those but in a polished state (which they almost are now with all the recent patches).

I think the W3 reset was much needed, but I hope they don't think simply limiting server transfers fixes everything. There is a basic flaw in their rating system which almost inevitably leads to more and more static match-ups and simply doesn't take short term changes into account.
Unless they overhaul that we're going to be right back where we are in another reset in a few months/year.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 01:07:41 AM

However, your password only stays unique if you then don’t use it for other games and web sites, so please, if you value the security of your account, use your password exclusively for Guild Wars 2.

Unfortunatley, I do not care to manage a herd of unique passwords. I have a number/word combo system that ensures that I can remember a forgotten password in a few trials, and I have a hard enough time remembering which login uses which combo.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 02, 2013, 01:25:41 AM

When it comes to passwords, KeePass is where it's at... that way you only have to remember one (hopefully sufficiently strong) password. It goes without saying that you want to store the KeePass password database itself in a secure place, such as an encrypted USB disk with the occasional encrypted backup onto an external HDD or something.

Also, every time that xkcd comic comes up, I'm compelled to point out that as good as passphrases sound in theory, they aren't all that hot in practice.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:27:45 AM by Zetor »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 02:28:38 AM

Depends of the quality of your user base.

For people who will use correcthorsebatterystaple no problem.

But you know half the user base would go for twinkletwinklelittlestar, the other half for passwordpasswordpassword.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 02, 2013, 02:40:21 AM

And half of the sites where they use "passwordpasswordpassword" would silently truncate passwords at like 12 characters*, so they'd end up with trivially-bruteforcable "passwordpass" and such.

* this was the case in COH / the playNC site until early 2012 at least

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 02:32:16 PM

FFS - another fucking password to remember? I've yet to be hacked on variations of the ones I use, but having to change it WTF? I've never been password hacked on my Blizzard account (pre or post authenticator) or any other game - yet now Arena net, the company whose security was so good that had it's database hacked including passwords wants me to change it again? If they are that worried, all they need to do is create an authenticator app.

I'm so sick of passwords.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 02, 2013, 04:17:20 PM

And half of the sites where they use "passwordpasswordpassword" would silently truncate passwords at like 12 characters*, so they'd end up with trivially-bruteforcable "passwordpass" and such.

* this was the case in COH / the playNC site until early 2012 at least

This has more to do with shitty sites than the password technical details. Also in that case it wouldn't be usable elsewhere since you'd only know a truncated form of it.

But yes, random websites have shit password rules, like lcasing your password, stripping special characters, failing to use SSL (forget which MMO did that. Rift's first days?), etc etc. Amusingly, brute forcing should be impossible on any site, anywhere. But we allow it because it's easier than dealing with the customer support of "my account is locked out, can you help?" spam.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 02, 2013, 06:16:56 PM

Sadly, Blizzard still lower cases your password.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 08:30:35 AM

FFS - another fucking password to remember? I've yet to be hacked on variations of the ones I use, but having to change it WTF? I've never been password hacked on my Blizzard account (pre or post authenticator) or any other game - yet now Arena net, the company whose security was so good that had it's database hacked including passwords wants me to change it again? If they are that worried, all they need to do is create an authenticator app.

When will someone make a mobile app retina scan system?
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 08:42:35 AM

The way I read it is that you will only be required to change your password if you didn't change it way back when they recommended that you change it.  So basically the recommendation is now becoming a requirement, but if you had already changed it back when they first recommended it than you will not be affected.

Edit for exact date:

"Thus, if you are still using a password that was chosen before the introduction of password blacklisting on September 12, 2012, you will need to choose a new password."

most often known as Drevik
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 05, 2013, 11:43:02 AM

When will someone make a mobile app retina scan system?

No someone comes to place and gouges out my eye to access my loot? I've seen all the movies where that one backfires  Ohhhhh, I see.

Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 07:16:19 AM

The queue/max wvw population thing is getting annoying.  Not the wait itself, or the possible population limit itself, but rather mystery of the whole thing and the complete silence of Anet. 

On TC, we've had the outmanned buff AND a queue.  And, as it has been from the start, there really is no rhyme or reason to how long anyone's particular wvw queue time will be.  People are speculating all over the official forums.  Are they testing limits?  Are they purposely fucking with the queues to make people pay for transfers?  Is there a bug caused by people logging off on a wvw map?  Is it all in our minds? 

I'm half expecting a "queue reduction" consumable being sold in the gem store soon.  It's a shame.  I'd pay a sub for GW2, as long as that meant there wouldn't be so much blatant manipulation for RMT.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 07:49:29 AM

I don't think there is manipulation for RMT. It just nature that RMT games. Things that affect where money changes hands are going to receive top priority. WvW is very far from the money. Its almost completely unmonetized and isn't going to get much development or bug fixes.  The queue issue is obviously one of those crazy nearly-impossible to reproduce, multi-system bugs that going to need a ton of resources to pin down. Its not worth the money to do so. No conspiracy, just economics of the business model.

"Me am play gods"
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 07:50:52 AM

Outmanned buffs are local, IIRC. If you have 199 people at a keep and you're alone, you'll get an outmanned buff. But yes, the queue seems to be a complete goddamned mystery. The lack of /who type functionality for a zone really keeps us from having any metrics to figure out how many people we actually have out there as well.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 06, 2013, 08:11:20 AM

I don't think there is manipulation for RMT. It just nature that RMT games. Things that affect where money changes hands are going to receive top priority. WvW is very far from the money. Its almost completely unmonetized and isn't going to get much development or bug fixes.  The queue issue is obviously one of those crazy nearly-impossible to reproduce, multi-system bugs that going to need a ton of resources to pin down. Its not worth the money to do so. No conspiracy, just economics of the business model.

Not just from my own experience, and that of my guild, but the community at large:  threads are popping up everywhere right around the time that they've monetized server transfers.  It is a money thing now.   

Judging by today's statement, they seem to be sticking to the "demand" of wvw as being the culprit:

Exploring ways to help get more people playing WvW, as well as dealing with queue issues that come with those inherent issues of player population and demand.

It's fishy.  "Hey we're sorry about that queue time...we encourage you to transfer to a lower population server."  Meanwhile, population doesn't seem to be the only thing affecting queue times.  If I'm wrong, then nothing happens. I go to jail, peacefully, quietly. I'll enjoy it. But if I'm right, and we can stop this thing... Lenny....
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #56 on: February 06, 2013, 08:46:12 AM

Not just from my own experience, and that of my guild, but the community at large:  threads are popping up everywhere right around the time that they've monetized server transfers.
Jabbering forum jockeys mean absolutely jack. Confirmation bias at its finest.

"Me am play gods"
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 06, 2013, 10:02:14 AM

WvW participation is also high as heck right now because this week's run is high stakes (the reset is in progress, you're fighting for your seeding next week basically), the question is if they introduced a bug with the queue mechanism.

I absolutely see the problem (you get into WvW after an hour queue, can't find more than a dozen friendlies on the map), but it's impossible to verify from the client's perspective. For all I know, they're off fucking around killing spiders in a corner.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: February 06, 2013, 01:12:16 PM

It's totally possible that I'm getting caught up in the hype.  Watching closely though.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #59 on: February 06, 2013, 05:19:04 PM

I never understood the 'prize' behind WvW.
In Warhammer it was clear what you're gonna get - Renown level ups and gears.
In Guild Wars I'd just be collecting a bunch of random bags in hopes of badges that I hardly use cause gold can buy them faster.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 05:30:06 PM

So did this cool event actually happen yet or is it still just a few refugees hanging out in the Charr capital?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: February 06, 2013, 05:32:55 PM

I never understood the 'prize' behind WvW.
In Warhammer it was clear what you're gonna get - Renown level ups and gears.
In Guild Wars I'd just be collecting a bunch of random bags in hopes of badges that I hardly use cause gold can buy them faster.

Thats a big problem, but they are apparently addressing it in March.

They are adding prestige ranks, abilities and bonuses.  You'll have to get gear from WvW that is equivalent to the gear you get in PVE.  They hint at other shit, but they haven't said much.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: February 06, 2013, 09:20:07 PM

Talked to a buddy who was playing. Living Story sounds similar to Halloween. They can be cool but almost no guidance beyond what you can google are wait for the inevitable genchat spam in Lions Arch.

That about right? I just patch'd up, but have been crazy busy. Looking forward to getting back in if it's worth coming for.

If I'm wrong, then nothing happens. I go to jail, peacefully, quietly. I'll enjoy it. But if I'm right, and we can stop this thing... Lenny....

Excellent. You've inspired me to switch my avatar back to the doctor.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:22:40 PM by Darniaq »
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 07, 2013, 08:09:40 AM

Excellent. You've inspired me to switch my avatar back to the doctor.

Heh, nice!

RK:  WvW really is designed to be for the fun of it.  Pride, rivalries, teamwork.  It can be exciting for people who are into it, and I count myself as part of that demographic.  It can also be great way to level.  Wednesdays and Thursdays are also good times to craft and gather thanks to the world bonuses.

The upcoming changes will certainly be nice.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: February 07, 2013, 08:18:02 AM

Pride, rivalries, teamwork. 

All the people I WvW'd with in the first couple of months abandoned ship to other servers. I am REALLY hoping that there's some stability to the server population now and this actually becomes a reason to go WvW.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: February 07, 2013, 08:29:35 AM

All the people I WvW'd with in the first couple of months abandoned ship to other servers. I am REALLY hoping that there's some stability to the server population now and this actually becomes a reason to go WvW.

I got really lucky with mmo server choice this time and wound up on Tarnished Coast.  Spent a short time on Ehmry Bay because friends were there, but quickly went back.  Huge difference.  Which server are you on?
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 07, 2013, 08:48:17 AM

Gates of Madness.

I took a month hiatus as I played some other things, but starting to get back into GW2 and leveling my Necro which will hopefully result in spending more time in WvW.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: February 07, 2013, 12:02:13 PM

How the end of free transfers will affect the wvw in the long run remains to be seen because it can get a bit boring if one server is too powerful (which is part of the reason the guild I am in has changed servers a few times). The new ranking system that goes to effect this week is also interesting as it might shake the current rankings quite a bit.

edit:it seems they cancelled the ratings reset and will not be changing the system.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:52:09 PM by satael »
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 07, 2013, 10:15:14 PM

WvWvW seems dead on Yak's Bend during Aussie prime time. It worries me a bit as right up until the release of GW2 I could still find PvP games on GW. I did get into a game last week but couldn't see another Yak's Bend player, only small clumps of reds.

I'm about to level a second character - Mesmer or Necro or Engineer for solo levelling/pvp?

I got my engineer to 18 and lost interest in it

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 07, 2013, 10:30:28 PM

Finding PVP games in GW1 is just like structured pvp in GW2 (which doesn't care about server), so that's a poor comparison. Whether WvW is active in a certain timezone is heavily dependent on your server - there are quite a few (most of tier 1-3) that have a heavy asian / australian presence. In fact, having good aussie time coverage is essential to get into the higher tiers. FWIW I play during Euro times on US servers (which is pretty much dead everywhere), and there's still a decent-sized crew on Tarnished Coast, as well as plenty of people to fight.

As for mesmer v necro v engineer, I do like engineer, though grenades are still freaking annoying to use. If you really want to focus on pvp and wvw, mesmer is where it's at, simply because of all their game-changing skills in wvw (portal, timewarp, various zerg-busting skills)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:32:31 PM by Zetor »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Patch: 1/28/13  
Jump to: