Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:12:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Patch: 1/28/13 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch: 1/28/13  (Read 55303 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

on: January 28, 2013, 02:06:42 PM

Quick thread for the new patch:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-January-28-2013

Patch is live and notes are up.

Major thing is new currency from daily/monthlies (we needed another currency, rite?) that can be used for ascended amulets and some other shit.

GRAVEYARD ZERGING IS GONE FOR DUNGEONS NOW: Waypoints cannot be used in a dungeon while any party member is in combat.

Level downscaling has been rebalanced. Downranked content will be harder now. Loot drops have been increased to compensate.

Fractals are now open to anyone. You can join higher tier groups and advance your own tier. You can also join groups in progress now.

Orr was nerfed. Fewer mobs.

WvW pop in has been altered, placeholder models are being used to immediately render players, followed by their actual gear/model. Not sure how well this will work, but nice to see it being worked on.

WvW loot bags remain, but if the drop is higher rarity it's a chest instead. Should help you notice if you left some shit on the ground.

Few class bug fixes, didn't scan any major changes.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:28:07 PM

Tempting, especially with the downscaling changes and orr nerfs
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:38:45 PM

The power of gayness

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:11:54 PM

Apparently upscaling in WvW was buffed as well, so lower level characters being up-ranked will have higher stats/damage in general as well.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 11:18:08 PM

I was waiting for this to see if they were going to do anything to draw me back, re: the tacked on gear tier and WvW - they didn't. Unless that upscaling includes upscaling exotic-geared 80s to infused? The pop-in change sounds nice.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:25:10 AM

The pop in solution isn't a culling fix, anyways. Culling is still rather idiotic.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 05:05:05 AM

I was waiting for this to see if they were going to do anything to draw me back, re: the tacked on gear tier and WvW - they didn't. Unless that upscaling includes upscaling exotic-geared 80s to infused? The pop-in change sounds nice.

They added Ascended rings to the new Daily Rewards vendor.  Not that Ascended items have had any impact on WvW...yet.

most often known as Drevik
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 09:34:01 AM

I think the best thing is the upscaling of ALL loot to your level. This basically means you can go *anywhere* at 80 and still get good stuff instead of having to slum it in Orr -- really cuts down on repetition.

Ivanneth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:43:41 AM

My level 40 Engineer is kicking ass now. I've wanted to play my engineer since release, but kept getting frustrated with how long it took to kill things. Damage is no longer an issue. Turrets seem better too, but I haven't had much time to play with them yet. 
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 11:19:03 PM

The pop in solution isn't a culling fix, anyways. Culling is still rather idiotic.

In any game where you can potentially have thousands of people in the same spot there needs to be something like it. The solution they have sounds great, let you see that there is someone there as fast as they can and fill in the cosmetics later.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 12:27:49 AM

I hear "dailies" and "gear" in the same sentence and I start running for the hills.

I was going to come back and give the game another shot, please tell me this hasn't gone all "WoW Dailies"!

I went back to GW1 and had a blast yesterday.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 12:39:55 AM

They aren't like those dailies at all. You get a random selection of things to do every day (craft x items, gather y things, dodge z attacks, kill A different mobs, participate in B events, etc) and those are all things that happen during your regular gameplay - whether that is wvw, levelling an alt, playing in a high-level area, running a dungeon/fractal, or playing in a lower-level area you may have missed. This is a pretty sharp contrast to "do the same mind-numbing quests every day for 2 hours" thing in wow et al.

I hate WOW (and SWTOR and LOTRO and RIFT and...) dailies with the power of a thousand suns, and I think GW2 is the first game to get the concept right. YMMV.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:45:46 AM by Zetor »

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 02:45:34 AM

I agree with Zetor; never minded the daily quests in GW2.  Also glad to see Orr nerfed.  Such an annoying continent.  Also very glad to see loot set at your level.  I may log back on and fool around some, but my main GW2 days are over until they put something really enticing to me in there.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 03:18:52 AM

Today's daily is 5 veteran kills, dodge 15 attacks, gather 20 nodes, 10 items crafted, 5 events (which means I can do it all in wvw and not bother with anything else though crafting would require the home borderland map)
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 05:33:50 AM

Was using it to level up alts. really nothing grabbing me to go back on lvl 80s at the moment.
You can just craft 10 ingots. That was dumb.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 06:10:52 AM

Was using it to level up alts. really nothing grabbing me to go back on lvl 80s at the moment.
You can just craft 10 ingots. That was dumb.

I think it's great that I can just craft 10 ingots instead of having to craft something (even more) useless just to get the daily done.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 07:05:57 AM

And you can craft the 10 ingots from the 20 copper you mined.

I'm back to exploring with my 80 Ranger.  I had been saving some zones for another character to run through, but I'm not playing them, so why not?  I'm completing my dallies just by wandering the map doing what I want.  This is how dailies should work.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 07:40:12 AM

The dailies before were terrible, especially if you were in Orr and all you needed was the mob variety one.  Glad to see there's some variation while not being overly burdensome.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 07:42:13 AM

The new dailies have shown me just how terrible I am at timing my dodge.

I really like how I can just play for an hour or two and get most of the dailies done just by doing my regular play - they've added a little variety, but balanced it pretty good imo.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 07:51:16 AM

To be fair, you could complete the old daily kill variety achieve in about 5 minutes if you just warp around the 5 level 0-15 zones.

But this seems better.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 09:13:50 AM

I'm just got to the point where I have to find a group for Arah on my necro to finish the story.  This should be an awful experience finishing this.  No one seems to be looking for groups.  This shit needs a LFD thingy.

That said, I'm going to spend my non WVW time getting map completions.  I've never really done any of the Norn areas outside the 1-25 areas, same with the Charr.  I've never done any of the 65-80 zones that aren't Orr or Straights.  Highest zone i've done work in is swamp area to the north.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 01:16:14 PM

Does a map completion earn you anything other than a warm feeling?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 01:23:30 PM

2 "Gift of Exploration"s which are legendary weapon components.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 02:27:34 PM

I'm just got to the point where I have to find a group for Arah on my necro to finish the story.  This should be an awful experience finishing this.  No one seems to be looking for groups.  This shit needs a LFD thingy.

It really does, but until that happens: http://gw2lfg.com/
Usually gets me a group to any dungeon in 10 minutes or less at peak times.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 03:21:21 PM

Oh shit, I totally forgot about that website.  Thanks.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 03:28:45 PM

Does that unicorn seriously have a cutie mark?

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 04:25:22 PM

In the shape of the Arenanet symbol.  Yes.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 08:00:59 PM

You get a couple of random exotics for the high level zones and sometimes a chunk of T5/6 mats.

most often known as Drevik
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 08:02:59 PM

Exotics.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 08:03:46 PM

The new dailies have shown me just how terrible I am at timing my dodge.

Thief - Sword x Pistol #3

^_^

Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 07:17:45 AM

Something is brewing with WvW map population

source:  https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Any-Tarnished-Coast-citizens-agree

More threads about this are popping up from different servers.  Queueing for WvW has been an issue from the start; when someone is in queue for a long time the response has been "just requeue and you should pop in."  There is some serious facepalm potential here.

Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 10:25:47 PM

I'm in a fairly large guild and always on mumble when I join W3 and it's quite often people get in 15-30 mins later than someone even if they start queuing before.
It's fair to say there's some mojo going on beyond a simple queue and you pop in when your number's up.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 07:28:52 AM

So my opinion on the new culling:

WvW is better now. Much. PvE zergs in Orr still cull for shit, but you can always see people within a decent range in WvW.

HOWEVER: new culling has totally fucked up somehow on revealing thieves. This has caused a few high uptime stealth builds to become total bullshit, as you can get off 2-3 attacks before anyone renders you, then restealth and repeat for a rather comical amount of time.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 08:08:04 AM

My necromancer says fuck stealth in this game.  My thief chuckles with glee.

I'm torn.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 08:28:18 AM

New change to WvW coming - reset

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Coming-Soon-WvW-Rating-Reset/first

In the run up to the end of free world transfers we saw large population changes as people settled in to their home servers. This means that the WvW teams being fielded by many of the worlds are now dramatically different. In recognition of this fact, and in light of the increased population stability that comes with paid transfers, we feel that this would be a good time to reset the ratings of all the servers. A reset at this point will allow the rating & ranking system to more quickly and correctly rate these (effectively) new WvW teams.

Here’s how the reset will work:

1) We’ll let the current matchup play out. Since free transfers were available during the first part of this matchup we don’t want it to count towards the new ratings.
2) When the matchup rolls over on Friday, February 1st we’ll post the final ratings & rankings. The new ordering will determine the groupings for the next matchup as usual.
3) After the new matchup has started on February 1st we’ll reset all the ratings (and deviation & volatility) behind the scenes.

Because every world will have reset ratings the system will treat the February 1st matchup as the first matchup and will calculate the ratings accordingly. The new ratings will then be calculated normally in the way that you’re already familiar with. We expect several weeks of volatility while the ratings settle down but we believe that it will ultimately yield a more correct result more quickly than letting the current ratings persist. That also means that the coming month or two will be a fantastic time to fight for your world’s place in the rankings!

Additionally, we’re taking advantage of the reset to revisit some of the math behind the ratings. I’ll have more to post on that once we’ve crunched some numbers and made some decisions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Patch: 1/28/13  
Jump to: