Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:47:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Planescape: Torment "sequel" in the works. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planescape: Torment "sequel" in the works.  (Read 27042 times)
Xilren's Twin

Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 05:06:05 AM

As much as I am looking forward to both games, I made my saving throw vs kickstarter twice now.  I have no problem paying full price for a game I want plus you avoid that whole "i'm an investor, they should be listening to my ideas!" which seems to be already happening with WL and im sure will happen with this.  Just look at the controversy going over the Banner Saga KS and the multiplayer release for one example.
Hopefully, with more channels available, the need for a "publisher' will become less and less of a factor for the kinds of games I like.  I think single player or even small group oriented (like a real NWW successor hint hint) will always have a market, but maybe no enough of one for EA to care.  Plus i think the whole trend of big publishers to monetize (a word i hate) all of their games by forcing microtransactions and multiplayer aspects in every stinking one is poisoning their own market for anything other than triple AAA titles of which only a handful a year will do well.  Fine by me - developer straight to player is the market where i want to be.

BTW, when looking at the "tides" alignment concept, did anyone else get a "hey that looks almost inspired by Magic's color wheel" vibe?

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 07:31:35 AM

BTW, when looking at the "tides" alignment concept, did anyone else get a "hey that looks almost inspired by Magic's color wheel" vibe?

Well, it's not like magic invented that. Identifying certain colors with attitudes/elements is buried in antiquity.

beer geek.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 06:17:46 AM

23 days left, and they're at 2.5 million.  They raised 2.9 million total for the Wasteland kickstarter.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

They got my money, and supposedly I'll have a tomb stone with my name on it in game.  awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 12:52:23 PM

George Ziets is in, next stretch adds Brian Mitsoda, one of the VtM:Bloodlines writers.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 04:58:04 AM

Good interview on Gamestar.ru, via RPGWatch. The following summary of the backstory is very intriguing, IMO:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/#22663

Tell us about the story and the world of Torment: Tides of Numenera in more detail? Who is the main character? Whom he will fight?

Colin: The Ninth World of Numenera is a far-future Earth — a billion years in the future. They call it the Ninth World because they say that eight great civilizations have come and gone on the earth: civilizations that onceacted as the hub of star-spanning empires, or that mastered the folding of time of space, or who had mastered the shaping of worlds, and more. They have left an indelible imprint on the face of the planet, and they share another feature: they have all vanished, leaving behind remnants of their knowledge and their tools. Now humanity rebuilds on the shattered ruins of these ancient civilizations, in a world filled with the unimaginable energies of forgotten races, and begins to discover its place in a universe that is very, very different from the one we know.

It’s against this backdrop that our story begins. A man decided he did not want to die — his reasons are lost to time — and discovered a way to grow a new body and transfer his mind into that new body. Over the course of thousands of years, he has lived countless lives in countless bodies… but what he doesn’t know — or perhaps doesn’t care to know — is that when he leaves those bodies, they don’t die. Instead, they begin their own lives in near-immortal shells, with no memory of the mind they housed before.

Something about the process has awoken an old enemy — the Angel of Entropy. It finds the Changing God and vows to eliminate his works, and now it hunts the PC.

You play the Last Castoff — a shell of the Changing God, on the run from the Angel of Entropy, in a desperate search for answers in a world where it seems nearly anything is possible.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 05:05:37 AM

Yeah, I'm really digging the setting.  They could have a lot of fun with it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 09:16:29 AM

I was tempted to jump in on Monty's KS. The setting looked great and the Torment extensions look even better.

Then I remembered I don't have an rpg group and the locals are into some bad fanfic d20 homebrew that creeps the hell out of me.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 10:06:58 AM

Then I remembered I don't have an rpg group and the locals are into some bad fanfic d20 homebrew that creeps the hell out of me.

What does that mean?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 11:01:33 AM

What does that mean?

I imagine it's something along the lines of what some friends and I would have come up with back in the late 90s and early 2000s when we were way too much into anime and really bad fantasy literature, but didn't have the money to get into actual D&D.

Lots of broken homeruled systems and some truly cringe-worthy world-building.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 11:07:34 AM

Monte Cook's campaign setting is what sold me.

I've been running Ptolus campaigns since 2006, and I've never tired of the setting.  It's the best campaign setting I've ever read or used.  I'm eagerly awaiting the Numenera books.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 26, 2013, 12:27:53 PM

That really doesn't seem terribly different from the original story.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 26, 2013, 12:50:43 PM

What does that mean?
Like koro said. I had approached the local group about some miniatures gaming and they weren't interested but then tried to recruit me into their rpg group. I don't even remember what nonsense they were talking about, but it was something like koro said where dwarves became furbies or some shit. And then they got sidetracked into a discussion of the one time they played Blood Bowl against this guy with an amazon team that had NEKKID BEWBS. And then about how this one girl they met was totally going to be in the rpg group nudge wink hur hur

What the fuck? I felt like kicking the shit out of them for bringing the stereotype down a notch. They were at least mid-30s and one of the is married. Ye gods.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 07:41:49 AM

You should have followed your instincts and kicked their asses. 

Planescape: Torment was so fun I cry thinking about it.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 08:36:50 AM

That really doesn't seem terribly different from the original story.

Yeah, I don't remember what Planescape Torment hype was like, but I bought it with BG expectations and was surprised with how the plot seems stronger, despite the poor gameplay aspect of course.
I didn't donate to the Kickstarter cause the pitch sounds tired to me (A billion years setup? Really?). And now they're going down the all too familiar path of previous incarnation done bad things, you now must atone.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 01:46:33 PM

D O N ' T T R U S T T H E S K U L L
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 02:09:48 PM

This time, it's a powered armor helmet, which contains the uploaded memories of the person who caused you to commit the terrible deed you're atoning for.

Totally different.
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 02:50:21 PM

D O N ' T T R U S T T H E P O W E R E D A R M O R H E L M E T
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 05:18:59 PM

They should just make a God of War clone and cast you as The Nameless One fighting in that Blood War or something.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 28, 2013, 08:12:41 AM

Played in a Monte Cook world campaign years ago.  Never again.  After several sessions of being exceptionally useless as a low level wizard I killed the campaign when our DM started rules lawyer insanity because I had the audacity to try and cast whatever the light spell was on my staff so I could read a book.  The sloppy way spells were written turned everything into a wtf moment.  About an hour into this argument I nuked the entire campaign and our willingness to play his system from orbit when I brought in the planets rotation speed/orbit around the sun.  Fuck that. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 08:55:25 AM

Life's too short for putting up with rules lawyers.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #55 on: June 28, 2013, 09:41:00 AM

Maybe you played one of the old Rolemaster modules/settings he worked on in the '80s.  He didn't devise those systems, just wrote the Dark Space campaign setting and some modules.  That sounds more like shitty DMing, or a problem with Rolemaster, which a lot of people have.  It's a pretty arcane rpg, and large chunks of it are unwieldy unless the GM is really good.

Everything he's done for the past 20+ years uses some derivation of the current D&D ruleset, be it 2nd edition or 3/3.5, and they don't contain many unique rules.  Probably because he had a hand in creating those systems in '99/'00.  Ptolus just uses standard 3.5 D&D rules and doesn't futz with it. 

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #56 on: June 28, 2013, 01:52:31 PM

What he's describing sounds like it could have been an Arcana Unearthed/Evolved game. The magic rules in that are significantly different than vanilla d20/3.5. It still isn't really Monte's fault that there were what sound like classic spergy DM problems.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 28, 2013, 06:03:28 PM

Arcana Unearthed sounds familiar.  It may not be his fault our DM had it in for me or whatever was going on, but it was a bad rulebook.  That I blame him for. 
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 01, 2013, 04:27:42 AM

I would love a game based on the Savage Worlds system.  My gaming group has been playing with that for a few years now and it is MUCH easier to DM with that system.  You give up a bit of realism but you get a really streamlined ruleset.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: September 17, 2014, 04:13:27 PM

OMG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd43NYBzHuk

The video contains 3 minutes of pre-alpha footage from Torment: Tides of Numenera, which is currently wrapping up preproduction as inXile’s Wasteland 2 launches September 19, 2014. A cross-section of Torment gameplay, this first-glimpse shows an example of the narrative and choice-based focus of the upcoming cRPG.
tormentRPG.com

PLEASE
DON'T
SUCK
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:15:40 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 18, 2014, 12:25:52 PM

Looks good!  At least it seems they've got the general feel correct.

Awhile back I got a free electronic copy of the Numenera core books from kick starting this.  It's actually a pretty neat setting and I really enjoyed it.  Really looking forward to this.

-Stephen Colbert
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 01, 2015, 10:18:15 AM

So I kickstarted this at a level that gives me Alpha access, and jumped into the current little alpha bits they have available.  There is not really much at all right now, just demoing basic game systems.  But I'm already very happy with what I see.  The background/graphics of the game are way better than Wasteland 2 was, much more in line with how Pillars of Eternity looked (in terms of detail and quality).  Even at its basic state, the entire ascetics of the world and GUI look perfect for a torment followup (maybe brighter and more colorful, but people bitched about that same thing for Diablo 3).  The dialog system shows they have the right idea as well, as its really robust.  Lots of options lead to skill checks that you can interact with, such as how many points of effort to put into a particular action (no idea yet what actually controls that).  I like the idea of taking dialog to another level where its not just a hard skill check (strength, quickness, ect), but involves a little bit more decision making on the part of the player.  Also, the dialog seemed well written and witty in just this little bit.  Also a good sign.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:20:40 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 26, 2016, 11:56:25 AM

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #63 on: January 26, 2016, 12:04:48 PM

ooooo.  Did you buy it?

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 26, 2016, 12:34:23 PM

I really must finish (well, replay past where i got to) PST some time. I managed to get to today without reading any spoilers too.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #65 on: January 26, 2016, 12:46:30 PM

ACK!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #66 on: January 26, 2016, 12:49:52 PM

Ouch.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 26, 2016, 01:39:13 PM

ooooo.  Did you buy it?
I kickstarted it, so I'll get the code at release. Don't want to play it early, anyway. Just sharing infoes.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 28, 2017, 01:56:02 AM

"Torment: Tides of Numenera" is now available both on Steam and GOG:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/272270/
https://www.gog.com/game/torment_tides_of_numenera

Backed this during the KS "explosion" of 3-4 yrs ago: I actually pledged for a Physical Collector's edition  that will arrive sometime in the future. Just finished installing this while taking a look at the manual; while I know some bits & pieces of the story and setting, I purposefully avoided alpha/beta and other stuff that might  spoil the experience. I'll probably take a more in-depth look at the world as I play in order to  get more immersed in the whole thing. Press reviews seems generally favorable, although the PS4 version seems to have its own share of problems.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 28, 2017, 06:19:02 AM

It was stupid to make a console version, whatevs. I want to finally finish my playthrough of GTA V, so I'll hold off on this one for a bit. Let them get a couple patches out, too. Really looking forward to it, though if the experience of the past couple years holds true, I don't have time to sit through a real crpg anymore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Planescape: Torment "sequel" in the works.  
Jump to: