Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:20:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: After Earth 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: After Earth  (Read 11120 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 10:50:44 AM

Its not his fault that the story didn't make a lick of sense and was a total screw around from the book.

Wut ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 11:24:06 AM

Sorry. Temorary Nerdgasm. Had my shots now and am over it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 27, 2012, 11:34:37 AM

Also do we see will smith get blown out of the ship in the wreck in the beginning? I am thinking he actually dies in that scene nd any other scene they are together is a flashback, does the trailer actually show will on the planet in the present?
Maybe he has been dead the whole time and it is just a recording / virtual reality device / AI ?

I still have not seen the trailer.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 27, 2012, 11:43:54 AM

It was a shameless grab at a fanbase and sense of nostalgia to make a buck.  It had nothing to do with the original beyond "kid gets bullied, fights back" which could be nearly any movie. 

Again, I'm going with 'Wut ?'

Is this the thread where people are just going to post spectacularly wrong shit ?

It was an almost exact remake of the Original except for being set Not In America.  Bullies, Mentor with a troubled past, Stepfather, Mom issues, Bullying*, Childhood sweetheart chasing, Learning to get along, Honor, Fighting, smart ass moves, Wax on and Off, Montage, Fucking Psychopathic Karate Instructor with Real, Real Fucking Issues.

I don't know what the fuck you people are even saying anymore.  It's like you're in the Wood asking where the fuck the trees are.

*I like Bullying.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 27, 2012, 12:22:47 PM

The karate kid

Facepalm

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 27, 2012, 12:43:10 PM

In other words, if they had just called it the Kung fu Kid no-one would have complained. I think people actually expect some actual Karate in the movie if its,you know, in the title.

And apparently even the literature they had when filming the thing called it the Kung fu kid and they called it the kung fu kid on the set.

Hic sunt dracones.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 03:35:56 AM

It's a valid complaint. I have that same problem with a lot of Terry Gilliam films. I was so let down after going to see "Twelve Monkeys" and not seeing any monkeys in it and "Brazil" had nothing to do with either the country or the nuts.  I don't recall anybody getting their kit off for a meal in "Naked Lunch" - although I've never been sober while watching it so may not remember -  and don't even start on that not-actually-a-monster-movie, "The Squid and The Whale".

Ohhhhh, I see.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 03:55:21 AM

Sure, and I'll bet you would have been happy if a batman movie didn't contain batman, the life of Pi was about someone else, The perfect storm was about a nice summer day.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 06:21:40 AM

Look it's Asian, kung-fu, karate.... all Asian culture is interchangeable right? I mean who cares?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 03:21:01 PM

Ok, yes, it should've been technically called "The Kung Fu Kid" but jesus tapdancing christ, if that's your biggest objection to the fucking movie you need to chill the fuck out.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 28, 2012, 05:03:46 PM

It was a pretty big deal in Asia.  awesome, for real

Hic sunt dracones.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 28, 2012, 05:32:28 PM

It was a pretty big deal in Asia.  awesome, for real

I'm actually curious how it did in china and japan respectively cause the title sort of gives them both the finger. 

Also the title is beyond stupid but what really annoys me about it is it is the most blatant example of hollywood laziness.  Not only is it not a new property but the story is nearly the exact same AND on top of that they couldn't ever bother to change the fucking title which has zero fucking bearing on the movie. Think about this a moment, please recognize the stupidity of a movie called "The karate kid"  THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH KARATE.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 06:10:02 PM

Well I dont knwo about Japan but the chinese version was altered.

http://shandongxifu.wordpress.com/2010/07/24/chinese-censoring-of-the-karate-kid/

Hic sunt dracones.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 06:35:55 PM

That's kinda neat how they can do that. A little editing and it's a different movie.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 21, 2013, 08:26:49 AM

I saw the trailer for this with (I swear) at least two or three other apocalyptic movie trailers before The Hobbit.

It didn't look terribly interesting, and I'm not likely to see it.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 21, 2013, 07:08:26 PM

That's kinda neat how they can do that. A little editing and it's a different movie.

That is pretty clever. And in fact it sounds like one of those edits made it closer to the original one:

"There is some verbal intimidation, but they only fight him after he flirts with the love interest and throws dirty water on them"

Sounds like the halloween dance in the original where Danny flirted with the blond (wasn't she one of their girlfriends) and the put the hose over the bathroom stall of one of the cobra-kai. That led to the chase and beat down and Miyagi reveal.

Oh, on topic: After Earth, yawn, whatevs.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 03, 2013, 10:55:00 AM

Saw this movie this weekend with my son. It's not an action movie. It's more of a coming of age story for his son. I called it realistic action in the sense that the things that happen to the kid were fairly believable and that if they threw too much more at him, he probably would not have survived.

If you're squeamish about someone doing first aid on their own bleeding leg, you may want to look away when Cypher has to do that to himself.

Other than that, it was interesting and kept me involved.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #52 on: June 03, 2013, 12:51:33 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/03/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/after-earth-box-office-ew/

But his latest effort, "After Earth," landed with a major thud on opening weekend, grossing just $27 million (distributor Sony told outlets it was expecting $35 million before the weekend) and opening in third place with a tepid "B" CinemaScore.

Does not seem to have been a movie to deliberately go see.  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #53 on: June 03, 2013, 12:55:50 PM

Yikes, currently at 12% on rotten tomatoes.  That's not a good sign....

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #54 on: June 03, 2013, 01:01:42 PM

While I didn't see it and likely won't, I'd guess it's so low because it's Shamalamadingdong. The Internet hates him - so it's probably about twice that good if you factor that in. So 24% instead of 12%.  why so serious?

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #55 on: June 03, 2013, 02:28:40 PM

Several of the reviews I read described it as Jaiden Smith's "Friday".

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 03, 2013, 02:40:34 PM

While I didn't see it and likely won't, I'd guess it's so low because it's Shamalamadingdong. The Internet hates him - so it's probably about twice that good if you factor that in. So 24% instead of 12%.  why so serious?

It's one of his rare movies where there is no twist. I guess it helps that Will Smith wrote the story. It's pretty straightforward. The only thing that was really missing from the movie was music. Most of the music was so sparsely used that the action on the screen didn't have as much impact as it should have.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 03, 2013, 02:40:51 PM

Several of the reviews I read described it as Jaiden Smith's "Friday".

I hope you mean this Friday and not this Friday.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 03, 2013, 04:58:11 PM

So let's say I'm Will Smith, one of the last guys about whom there is still some reason to think I can open a movie strong just because I'm in it. Let's say I want to pair up with my kid and give him a big gift so I get good Father's Day cards.

So:

a) Why do I go get M. Night Shyamalan to be my director? Why? Nobody likes him anymore and he clearly has skill issues. He guarantees a lot of hostility.
b) Why do I play an unsympathetic asshole in my movie? It's not my strength, I don't need to prove myself as an actor, unless we're working through real dad-son issues here.
c) Why do I fuck with Scientology-themed stuff unless I'm a Scientologist? Which I've been denying.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 03, 2013, 05:18:42 PM

I like Will Smith, but in the trailers when he clearly and correctly pronounces 'Earth' he lost me.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 03, 2013, 05:58:29 PM

So let's say I'm Will Smith, one of the last guys about whom there is still some reason to think I can open a movie strong just because I'm in it. Let's say I want to pair up with my kid and give him a big gift so I get good Father's Day cards.

So:

a) Why do I go get M. Night Shyamalan to be my director? Why? Nobody likes him anymore and he clearly has skill issues. He guarantees a lot of hostility.
b) Why do I play an unsympathetic asshole in my movie? It's not my strength, I don't need to prove myself as an actor, unless we're working through real dad-son issues here.
c) Why do I fuck with Scientology-themed stuff unless I'm a Scientologist? Which I've been denying.

Cults do weird things to people.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 03, 2013, 06:54:47 PM

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 04, 2013, 02:17:51 AM

unless we're working through real dad-son issues here.

Recent interviews suggest that there was some of this at play.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 04, 2013, 01:54:33 PM

Also do we see will smith get blown out of the ship in the wreck in the beginning? I am thinking he actually dies in that scene nd any other scene they are together is a flashback, does the trailer actually show will on the planet in the present?
Maybe he has been dead the whole time and it is just a recording / virtual reality device / AI ?

I still have not seen the trailer.

It is funny you see the same thing happen in the movie but then his dad is the only other one left alive on the ship when it lands. The only sense I can make of it is one of the crew looks just like his dad and when the mask is on they just look the same.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 04, 2013, 03:13:51 PM

I didn't know Shyamalan was involved in this, but it explains my instinctive dislike at watching the trailer. At least the marketing execs finally realized that slapping on "From the director of The Sixth Sense" was scaring away more moviegoers than it was attracting.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: After Earth  
Jump to: