Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:09:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm  (Read 210597 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #945 on: May 05, 2014, 03:39:07 PM

The real nice thing about this rebels thing is that it will overwrite the abortion of a storyline that was The Force Unleashed about how the Rebels were set up by Vader/the Emperor clandestinely (even the rebels didn't know it) so that the Emperor would have an enemy he could use to justify the death star or something like that.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: May 05, 2014, 06:03:49 PM

It's a new animated series that will be on the Disney Channel in the fall.  It'll be the first Star Wars material made by Disney so I can't see how it wouldn't be canon.  The animation style is the same as the Clone Wars (probably made by the same people, I haven't checked).  It takes place between Revenge of the Sith and A New HopeHere's a trailer.

That looks vomitously awful.

So, just another day in the Star Wars franchise.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #947 on: May 05, 2014, 06:32:59 PM

PINK Mandolorian armor?
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: May 05, 2014, 07:33:07 PM

It's a new animated series that will be on the Disney Channel in the fall.  It'll be the first Star Wars material made by Disney so I can't see how it wouldn't be canon.  The animation style is the same as the Clone Wars (probably made by the same people, I haven't checked).  It takes place between Revenge of the Sith and A New HopeHere's a trailer.

That looks vomitously awful.

So, just another day in the Star Wars franchise.

:(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #949 on: May 05, 2014, 07:41:41 PM

I didn't think it looked that bad.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: May 05, 2014, 08:17:16 PM

Looks like a stars wars cartoon aimed at teens so....mission accomplished? How are women's groups upset though? There are six main characters and two are female, that seems like a reasonable ratio.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #951 on: May 05, 2014, 08:18:52 PM

Meh. Not for me, but I'm nowhere near the target demo.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: May 06, 2014, 06:04:57 AM

Looks fine, it's hitting it's market perfectly. My nephew will love it and I won't gouge out my eyeballs and eardrums when I watch it with him.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #953 on: May 06, 2014, 06:08:03 AM

Looks like a stars wars cartoon aimed at teens so....mission accomplished? How are women's groups upset though? There are six main characters and two are female, that seems like a reasonable ratio.

Because it's not 51% to replicate the reality of gender percentages in the world.

Though if you included a trans gen, 55% of them would have an utter melt down.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: May 06, 2014, 06:22:34 AM

Female Mandalorian. Of course.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: May 06, 2014, 07:12:48 AM

Because it's not 51% to replicate the reality of gender percentages in the world.

Though if you included a trans gen, 55% of them would have an utter melt down.

Also, the droid is asexual.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #956 on: May 06, 2014, 07:26:10 AM

So I guess the fact it's a fictional world means nothing.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #957 on: May 06, 2014, 08:08:58 AM

Please. It's Star Wars. This is no longer a fictional world, it's a goddamn full on cultural delusion.

I am going to hate the time period between now and the release of this Star Wars movie. I am SO over Star Wars yet it defines like the entire geek culture.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #958 on: May 06, 2014, 08:35:56 AM

So I guess the fact it's a fictional world means nothing.

"That it's a fictional world means that you have the freedom to make the characters up wholesale, yet you still chose to make it a man's playground!  You fixed this with Battlestar, why not do it with Star Wars?!!!"    awesome, for real

The arguments are really strained but only if you dislike questioning the notions of Boys things and Girl's things.

That said, I didn't see any groups arguing that there should be male My Little Ponys in the central cast.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: May 06, 2014, 08:48:13 AM

It would really miss the point of Ponies as Ponies was made to show that you can be a girl without being the stereotype of Starbuck sexy-butch, Slutty sex obsessed McCylon, or totally-devoted-to-man wife.

Hic sunt dracones.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #960 on: May 06, 2014, 08:58:46 AM

I don't understand gender bitching in cartoons. I also think they will just handwave that nonsense for what it is and make their cartoon.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: May 07, 2014, 02:11:36 AM

That said, I didn't see any groups arguing that there should be male My Little Ponys in the central cast.
There's not a lot of benefit to be had in expecting sociological minorities to make concessions to the group that's already the most privileged (see also: "why isn't there a white history month, huh?").
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #962 on: July 22, 2014, 12:08:52 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #963 on: July 22, 2014, 01:03:00 PM

I have to admit I love when people get worked up about canon and other such nonsense.

That new cartoon looks awesome.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #964 on: July 22, 2014, 05:08:42 PM

ZERO GRAVITY DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.

Sorry. It's just for some reason the blatant violation of physics with a zero-g kick that doesn't give both parties equal momentum is somehow more maddening than all the other physics violations, like sound in space.
schild
Administrator

Reply #965 on: July 22, 2014, 06:59:38 PM

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #966 on: July 22, 2014, 07:29:00 PM

Sorry. It's just for some reason the blatant violation of physics with a zero-g kick that doesn't give both parties equal momentum is somehow more maddening than all the other physics violations, like sound in space.
Zero-g Force kick.  Also, cartoons.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #967 on: July 22, 2014, 07:31:18 PM

--Dave
ARRRGGGH.

(I can get it's dumb. I can get all the other things I'm willing to suspend disbelief for. But still. It's Newton. I swear, any cinematographer that wants to do zero-g sequences -- cartoons or otherwise -- should be forced to spend a week training in the Vomit Comet. And by "forced" I mean "should be giddy with delight and gleefully accept" because hey, Vomit Comet).
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #968 on: July 22, 2014, 08:46:26 PM

That looked awful.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #969 on: July 22, 2014, 09:10:57 PM

--Dave
ARRRGGGH.

(I can get it's dumb. I can get all the other things I'm willing to suspend disbelief for. But still. It's Newton. I swear, any cinematographer that wants to do zero-g sequences -- cartoons or otherwise -- should be forced to spend a week training in the Vomit Comet. And by "forced" I mean "should be giddy with delight and gleefully accept" because hey, Vomit Comet).

Wasn't it the Jedi dude doing the kicking?  Clearly it was a Force Kick.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #970 on: July 22, 2014, 11:42:15 PM

Looks fun. I like the Sideburns McVillain guy.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Wizgar
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: July 23, 2014, 02:11:37 PM

I am going to hate the time period between now and the release of this Star Wars movie heat death of the universe.

Fixed that for you. There are going to be six of these movies. Six. At least. Jesus Christ. The full might of the Disney media/promotional machine hasn't even really come into play yet. Imagine life in like 2020 when the hypetrain for the fifth one is in full swing and there's no end in sight.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #972 on: July 24, 2014, 07:17:41 AM

Yeah, I couldn't get excited about Rebels. Meh. I can't really get excited about anything coming from the Abrams set of the new movie either. I think the 3 prequels just broke me. I'm so burned out on Star Wars I could barely give two fucks about any of this.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #973 on: July 24, 2014, 08:19:03 AM

Plus you're like 15 years older and shit. Never forget that.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #974 on: July 24, 2014, 08:22:52 AM

My age has nothing to do with just how shitty those prequels were.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #975 on: July 24, 2014, 11:26:06 AM

I'm certain that part of the contract with Disney was that they couldn't declare the prequels non-canon. Shame.

However, I'm still excited for the new stuff.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #976 on: July 24, 2014, 11:34:58 AM

My age has nothing to do with just how shitty those prequels were.

No, but it does have to do with being "burned out"

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: July 24, 2014, 12:41:51 PM

Trailer looked exactly like I'd expect a post-RotS clone wars series to look.

Which is to say lightweight but fun.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #978 on: July 24, 2014, 12:51:20 PM

The series will probably be fun, but the style still bothers me a little bit. They want to separate it from the CGI Clone Wars, but keep the same feel for character design. The decision, "Just round everything off" was, IMO, wrong. That angular style worked with the exaggerated facial proportions in a way this style doesn't for me.

The ULTRA SHINY Stormtroopers are also a bit visually odd.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: July 24, 2014, 01:19:10 PM

However, I'm still excited for the new stuff.

Yeah, I am too. Hate on them all you want, but JJ made an actual Star Trek movie I liked so we shall see what they do with something I actually have an attachment to.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm  
Jump to: