Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:41:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm  (Read 210581 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

on: October 30, 2012, 01:22:07 PM

Article here.

So this is gonna be rather strange and turns Disney into an even bigger powerhouse.  With Marvel and the Star Wars franchise, it's safe to say that Disney now owns two of the biggest IP's anyone could ever want.

I only assume can me we are going to see a lot more Star Wars in the future.  I'm also wondering if this will be good or bad for SWTOR.

Edit:  My bad Episode 7 of Star Wars comes out 2015.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:26:19 PM by Evildrider »
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 01:29:54 PM

"The latest part of the Star Wars saga, Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for a 2015 release."

Not really sure how to feel about that. I'll wait and see whether the sale means Lucas retires and lets someone competent who isn't a complete fuckstick take control.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 01:34:45 PM

The neckbeards will bristle with rage if Episodes 7-9 invalidate a bunch of EU canon (which seems hard to not do.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 01:36:24 PM

The chances of getting any of the Ep. 3-6 main cast to come back, besides maybe Hamill and C-3PO, is slim to none.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 01:37:31 PM

The neckbeards will bristle with rage if Episodes 7-9 invalidate a bunch of EU canon (which seems hard to not do.)

They'll still buy two copies each, and a collectors edition.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 01:38:56 PM

How the fuck did I miss episode 7 being announced?   Last I'd heard anything the Live Action stuff he was looking at doing was nixed because Clone Wars was so damn popular with the kids.   Are we sure EP7 is actual live action?  To Google I go.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 01:39:23 PM

I'm (VERY) cautiously optimistic. It's hard to imagine someone torpedoing the franchise harder than Lucas has been for years now.

If they take a page from the better Marvel flicks and insist Lucas sit in the exec producer position and let people actually in touch with moviemaking drive the bus, SW fans could really be in for a good time.

However, I'm sure Lucas has plenty of shit tricks hidden in his chin to ruin everyone's fun.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 01:39:53 PM

I am actually cautiously optimistic about this, especially since Lucas himself is only in a "creative consultant" role for the new movies, which is only a step or two above not being involved at all.

I wonder what this will mean for Lucasarts.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 01:41:16 PM

Is it just me or does $4.1 billion seem cheap?

The thought of an Episode 7 directed by Joss Whedon is an interesting one (though he'll be a bit busy with Avengers 2). I wonder if Flabba the Hutt actually got anything in the deal that allows him to veto director/screenplay decisions.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 01:42:12 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:42:22 PM

Is it just me or does $4.1 billion seem cheap?

The thought of an Episode 7 directed by Joss Whedon is an interesting one (though he'll be a bit busy with Avengers 2). I wonder if Flabba the Hutt actually got anything in the deal that allows him to veto director/screenplay decisions.

I had that thought too re: cheapness.

Ugh, Whedon. No thank you.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 01:44:24 PM

I read somewhere that Lucasarts is part of the deal.

As for 4 billion being cheap, I think Lucas just wants to cash out.  4 billion is also what they spent on Marvel if I remember right. 
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 01:46:15 PM

A couple things to note.  That makes Avengers 2, Justice League and Star Wars 7 in 2015.

Also, a slim possibility of a Pixar run Day of the Tentacle movie or Grim Fandango? :O

Also, Disney purchased Marvel for $4.24B. So, yeah, cheap. Unless we missed a digit somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:47:48 PM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 01:46:26 PM

I dunno, $4 billion is still a ton of money, and I think that it, overall, it a pretty fair assessment of the worth of what basically boils down to a single movie production company and the Star Wars IP.

I imagine we're mostly desensitized to dollar values in the billions from other stuff in the news over the past decade or so.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 01:47:37 PM

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:50:02 PM by Amaron »
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 01:48:16 PM

Sounds like some serious business!
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 01:49:35 PM

Imagine the value of all the current Star Wars memorabilia if Disney's first action is to vault this thing for 20-30 years.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 01:50:02 PM

A couple things to note.  That makes Avengers 2, Justice League and Star Wars 7 in 2015.

Also, a slim possibility of a Pixar run Day of the Tentacle movie or Grim Fandango? :O

Don't forget Ant-Man, The next Hulk, Avatar 2, and possibly the Batman reboot.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 01:50:56 PM

Ugh, Whedon. No thank you.

I tried to see if he's done anything I've liked. The answer was not much.

However, He was a co-writer on Speed. If he directs about a Starship that explodes if it drops out of hyperspace, I think we'll be fine.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 01:51:44 PM

Don't care about this at all. But as I said on Facebook, looks like we'll be getting the Star Wars that we used to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlbPXZEpRE
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 01:51:58 PM

Don't forget Ant-Man, The next Hulk, Avatar 2, and possibly the Batman reboot.

I doubt we'd get a Batman movie the same year as Justice League. I expect the relaunch to happen out of the JL movie.

beer geek.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 01:53:58 PM

So who DO we want to direct SW 7?

Fuck it , give me Nolan!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 01:56:24 PM

I don't think it should be Whedon, as much as a fan I am. Not the right fit.

beer geek.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 02:00:33 PM

I'd really like to see Peter Jackson let loose on Star Wars, although it won't happen.  I'd wouldn't mind seeing Raimi or Cameron at the wheel either.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 02:00:44 PM

I'm (VERY) cautiously optimistic. It's hard to imagine someone torpedoing the franchise harder than Lucas has been for years now.

Disney seems unlikely to repeat Jar Jar Binks.  Their kiddie stuff usually has adult appeal.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 02:01:41 PM

So?  That'll be the best part!

Unfortunately I'm willing to bet it will validate most if not all of it instead.

I don't think it should be Whedon, as much as a fan I am. Not the right fit.
Nor should it be Abrams.  Was discussing this at work, we're not sure there's a really good fit out there these days.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 02:02:25 PM

I'd really like to see Peter Jackson let loose on Star Wars, although it won't happen.  I'd wouldn't mind seeing Raimi or Cameron at the wheel either.

I really don't know if I can trust Raimi anymore. I duno how I would feel about Cameron. Peter Jackson, I could get behind though. That would be an interesting loss for WB.

beer geek.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 02:05:04 PM

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 02:11:10 PM

I really don't know if I can trust Raimi anymore. I duno how I would feel about Cameron. Peter Jackson, I could get behind though. That would be an interesting loss for WB.
What makes you say that?  Raimi has still been going strong up to this point, imo.  He brought us Spartacus!

I personally don't really trust Jackson much these days, but Star Wars just might be a good fit for his style of movie making.  But yeah, almost certainly wont happen.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 02:13:56 PM

What makes you say that?  Raimi has still been going strong up to this point, imo.  He brought us Spartacus!

I personally don't really trust Jackson much these days, but Star Wars just might be a good fit for his style of movie making.  But yeah, almost certainly wont happen.

The whole Evil Dead thing has me a bit... :/ Plus, Spider Man 3... though that arguably had a lot to do with Sony sticking their dick in the middle of that.

Why don't you trust Jackson?

beer geek.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 02:15:46 PM

You know what, give it to a Japanese director to complete the circle.  why so serious?

Edit: You know what? Brad Bird. Done. That's who I'd want, I think.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:18:30 PM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 02:16:39 PM

Hey maybe Disney will be able to save the Star War franchi~ahahahahaha I couldn't say it

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 02:24:44 PM

Seriously.  Who cares at this point.

Edit: actually, what would be funnier is starting the rumor that they will reboot and thus re-film the whole franchise.   Well, it could happen (no it won't).  why so serious?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:26:43 PM by Soln »
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 02:25:30 PM

My current expectations for movies have slumped so low these days that I'd settle for a star wars movie without jar-jar or other childish crap, bourne-style camerazoom and star trek 10-style lensflare. Ohhhhh, I see.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 02:25:48 PM

I have a very bad feeling about this.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm  
Jump to: