Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 09:37:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm  (Read 211682 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #910 on: May 01, 2014, 01:24:01 PM

You know, I keep trying to think about how elbow saber man looks when he's fighting. I keep thinking it's probably something like watching somebody do a particularly exaggerated square dance, all flying elbows and such.

-Rasix
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #911 on: May 01, 2014, 01:33:16 PM

Most folks hate for midichlorians was summed up as, "It creates a genetic legacy for Force usage!"

In a series where Dad, His Son and Daughter were the biggest Force badasses in the universe.  awesome, for real

I would have less problem with midichlorians if they were a side-effect from using the Force rather than the source of the Force.  The latter just gives Star Wars a weird Parasite Eve twist.

Over and out.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #912 on: May 01, 2014, 03:16:12 PM

MY issue was more it explained something that absolutely did not need to be explained, and as a bonus the explanation was stupid.

God Save the Horn Players
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #913 on: May 01, 2014, 04:20:58 PM

MY issue was more it explained something that absolutely did not need to be explained, and as a bonus the explanation was stupid.

And then it proceeded to add absolutely nothing to the story from that point forward.

In fact, it opens up plot holes, because if you can test for Force sensitivity, there's no reason to let a Sith lord hide under your nose.  If having a high midichlorian count means you get Force powers, and the common belief is that Jedi training is the only way to use those powers safely, doctors would naturally be testing everyone for midichlorians and forwarding unusual results to the Jedi Council.  They'd have had Palpy pegged as soon as he had his first physical on Coruscant.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #914 on: May 01, 2014, 04:29:37 PM

Heh, I never thought of it that way. Maybe they tried and he used his mind puppet tricks on the doctors.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #915 on: May 01, 2014, 09:36:55 PM

/handwave

"This is not the urine sample you're looking for..."

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #916 on: May 02, 2014, 12:33:46 AM

Heh, I never thought of it that way. Maybe they tried and he used his mind puppet tricks on the doctors.

This is sort of how they explain away the fact that Palpatine was obviously grabbing power and no one noticed.  You don't need the force to notice this guy is being a manipulative chancellor and consolidating power.  But Yoda's all just "the dark side clouds everything!" 

Well ok then, I guess that's it.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #917 on: May 02, 2014, 03:42:28 AM

Let's not try and pretend the prequels made any fucking sense.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #918 on: May 02, 2014, 04:20:16 AM

Yuuuup.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #919 on: May 02, 2014, 04:34:20 AM

Let's not try and pretend the prequels made any fucking sense.

Well that was kind of my point, if you have to hand wave the basic plot of the entire trilogy with some "because the dark side" bullshit, that's not a good sign.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #920 on: May 02, 2014, 04:48:03 AM

I don't know.  The ham-fisted execution bothered me a lot more than the ham-fisted writing.  With a few tweaks, a competent director could have made much more out of that material.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #921 on: May 02, 2014, 04:50:57 AM

The whole idea is so bad in so many ways in terms of what it does to the setting, the stories and the characters. There is really nothing that can be done to fix it except to delete it.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #922 on: May 02, 2014, 04:54:44 AM

I don't know.  The ham-fisted execution bothered me a lot more than the ham-fisted writing.  With a few tweaks, a competent director could have made much more out of that material.

Not that the execution was great, but the writing was far worse in my opinion.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #923 on: May 02, 2014, 04:55:16 AM

And then it proceeded to add absolutely nothing to the story from that point forward.

In fact, it opens up plot holes, because if you can test for Force sensitivity, there's no reason to let a Sith lord hide under your nose.  If having a high midichlorian count means you get Force powers, and the common belief is that Jedi training is the only way to use those powers safely, doctors would naturally be testing everyone for midichlorians and forwarding unusual results to the Jedi Council.  They'd have had Palpy pegged as soon as he had his first physical on Coruscant.
Basically this sort of stuff is what the RedLetterMedia reviews cover top to bottom, and ironically despite the movies being really really bad with nonsensical shit like this the thing about the reviews that stunned me the most when I looked at the movies again was just how bad they were as -movies-.

Like yes the plot is awful and makes absolutely no sense top to bottom but the direction of the movie is shockingly bad. Shot for shot almost everything is terrible. Nonsense cuts, the CGI'd rooms limiting movement in scenes that should have action and action scenes having TOO much action, all the dialogue being shot like a soap opera in shot-reverse shot, wildly inconsistent tone, etc etc. I watched it again after seeing all this pointed out and it really honestly shocked me just how bad it was in retrospect.

But yeah, seriously if you haven't watched the Red Letter Media reviews do so. They're hilarious.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #924 on: May 02, 2014, 05:25:38 AM

RedLetterMedia's reviews are the best Star Wars movie I'll get in my lifetime.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #925 on: May 02, 2014, 06:44:32 AM

RLM is the only reason I can't wait for more SW movies. If I remember correctly though, he did say somewhere that JJ is the only hope for Star Wars.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #926 on: May 02, 2014, 09:48:59 AM

I knew things had gotten bad in the prequels when I saw that shot of Mace Windu talking with Obi Won in the hallway of the Jedi Council and it looked like two actors walking on the set of Land of the goddamn Lost. Not that there weren't bad things before that, but Attack of the Clones had so many really really shitty, unnecessary CGI shots that it took me right out of the movie. Phantom Menace had its problems but it was at least competently directed. The other two were just fucking webisode levels of bad direction on top of the bad writing.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #927 on: May 02, 2014, 10:02:44 AM

If JJ gets a good script and the new cast members put out a good performance, JJ can make a good Star Wars movie.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #928 on: May 02, 2014, 11:05:42 AM

Of course he can. He made a good Star Trek movie and would have made two if the script hadn't been such utter shit.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #929 on: May 02, 2014, 04:15:58 PM

I'm fairly confident JJ will make a good Star Wars movie.  The only one of his I didn't really like was the ET ripoff.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #930 on: May 03, 2014, 08:18:45 AM

Now that's a lie! They had to put in Mitocloriwhatzits to explain how Darth Vader was born via a virgin birth. This microscopic things got together in a mitocloricconferance and made his momv pregnant as he was going to be the savior of the force, which explains why he fell the 2 inches the dark side inside 0.5 of a second and how the story is such a tragedy!

Anyway, ROTJ was a decent movie, though I felt it flagged in the middle somewhat. A lot of the hate on the Ewoks I think came from the 2 (yes 2) Ewok movies THAT DON'T EXIST! The scenes with the Emperor were amazing in it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #931 on: May 03, 2014, 08:36:48 AM

Now that's a lie! They had to put in Mitocloriwhatzits to explain how Darth Vader was born via a virgin birth. This microscopic things got together in a mitocloricconferance and made his momv pregnant as he was going to be the savior of the force, which explains why he fell the 2 inches the dark side inside 0.5 of a second and how the story is such a tragedy!
I thought that got retconned in the third prequel to "Palpatine's dead master used Sith Alchemy to engineer the perfect Force-user and then got promptly ganked by Ol' Yellow Eyes"?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #932 on: May 03, 2014, 09:02:57 AM

I think there might have been a line in there about how he used the midichlorians to create life?  Or it might have just been "used the Force to create life".  There isn't any difference so the midichlorian thing still adds nothing.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #933 on: May 03, 2014, 09:20:57 AM

The whole thing is slightly less awful if you assume the mother and Palpatine were both lying.

And Ras Al Ghul is known to be a sociopathic madman.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #934 on: May 03, 2014, 12:31:27 PM

It's sort of implied that he was a Darth Plaguis created Anakin, yeah. 

"Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying"

Ohhhhh, I see. why so serious?

But uh, that's stupid as shit, so no.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #935 on: May 03, 2014, 12:37:43 PM

The whole thing is slightly less awful if you assume the mother and Palpatine were both lying.

And Ras Al Ghul is known to be a sociopathic madman.

If you watch the scene with Qui Gon and The Mother again (oh, and please DON'T), she really, really just comes off as either lying or 'I got drunk this one time and....'

It's amazing how many cracks in the narrative there are, really.  But it's ok, because it made a lot of money and That's The High Ground.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #936 on: May 04, 2014, 09:03:38 PM

I always assumed Palaptine was lying, but the mother was not.  Because it's a George Lucas story and the Good Guys don't lie, while the Bad Guys always do.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #937 on: May 05, 2014, 04:03:00 AM

palpatine's trickery is a shoddy, tentative patchwork of bad writing  and  unexplained undertones that is rivaled in its "it makes less sense the more you think about it"-ness by a select few other things like the qui gon podrace and chance cube bet for anakin and a ship part but not mom.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #938 on: May 05, 2014, 06:25:00 AM

Again, the pod race makes sense if it is a deal negotiated by a sociopath.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #939 on: May 05, 2014, 07:32:31 AM

btw wtf is StarWars: Rebels and where does that fit into canon?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #940 on: May 05, 2014, 07:38:45 AM

There's so many incredibly simple ways to fix the worst problems with the prequels it'll give you a stroke trying to think of them all.

I mean Lucas was onto something with the basic concept of Anakin: "Anakin can't handle loss and is frustrated that despite how powerful he clearly is he cannot control the bad things in his life, which is mostly people he loves dying on him."

That's honestly something you could make a really great story and a tragic character out of. Then you just fuck it up completely.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:42:40 AM by Fabricated »

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #941 on: May 05, 2014, 07:41:03 AM

btw wtf is StarWars: Rebels and where does that fit into canon?

It's a new animated series that will be on the Disney Channel in the fall.  It'll be the first Star Wars material made by Disney so I can't see how it wouldn't be canon.  The animation style is the same as the Clone Wars (probably made by the same people, I haven't checked).  It takes place between Revenge of the Sith and A New HopeHere's a trailer.

Over and out.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #942 on: May 05, 2014, 07:51:17 AM

Animation style is a bit different, I think. Seems like it will be a bit more light-hearted and is definitely trying to be as much like A New Hope as it can be and leave the prequels behind.

There's some good stories possible in this time frame: Darth Vader and other servants of the Emperor tracking down Jedi, rise of the Rebellion, etc.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #943 on: May 05, 2014, 11:13:49 AM

Animation is similar but uses more rounded edges than Clone Wars.  My complaint with their style was everything was so hard-edged, from Beards to armor.  Look at those Stormtroopers, they're practically bubbles.

Considering they killed Clone Wars for this but kept CW as canon and it's on the "Boys 7-13" channel chance of canon is 99%.  Star Wars is a property being marketed at boys in that age group* and this is how they plan on hooking them in for the new movies.

* Which is why there's still only 2 women in the new movie, which has lots and lots of women's equality groups up in arms after the cast announcements.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #944 on: May 05, 2014, 11:52:36 AM

As long as some of those women are hot.  Then the equality groups have no reason to complain!

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm  
Jump to: