Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:31:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm  (Read 210579 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 02:26:16 PM

Disney™ Star Wars® VII: Jar Jar Jaahahaha
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 02:30:21 PM

I wonder if Clone Wars will get yanked from Cartoon Network and moved to one of the Disney channels. 

Also, LEGO...

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 30, 2012, 02:32:08 PM

Also, LEGO...

Because...? No change to the Lego tie-ins. They do Star Wars and they also do Toy Story, Avengers and Pirates of the Caribbean.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 30, 2012, 02:32:32 PM

I actually think this is a good thing.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #39 on: October 30, 2012, 02:33:01 PM

Pixar Star Wars has promise.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 02:36:24 PM

With how Disney has handled the Marvel stuff, I am a bit optimistic at having their hands on Star Wars.  It's better than Lucas having his go at it again.  And you are worrying about Disney putting "kiddy" stuff in, but remember it was Lucas that gave us Jar Jar.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 30, 2012, 02:37:44 PM

I wonder if Clone Wars will get yanked from Cartoon Network and moved to one of the Disney channels. 

That seems very possible, they have that DXD channel with Avengers and Tron going. Clone Wars would be another big draw to it probably.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 02:41:15 PM

Imagine if Steve Jobs (Disney's largest shareholder due to their purchase of Pixar) was still around. Pixar began as a Lucasfilm spin-off, majority-owned by Steve Jobs, before his return to Apple. I don't know if he was a Star Wars fan, but I reckon he'd make them do it right.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 30, 2012, 02:41:51 PM

They would be better off refilming 1-3 and finally giving the Nerds permission to say that 1-3 were utter shit. The relief dollars as Nerds gratefully throw dollars at them to  erase the pain from their memories would be worth billions.

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #44 on: October 30, 2012, 02:44:48 PM

With how Disney has handled the Marvel stuff, I am a bit optimistic at having their hands on Star Wars.  It's better than Lucas having his go at it again.  And you are worrying about Disney putting "kiddy" stuff in, but remember it was Lucas that gave us Jar Jar.
Yeah, my experience with disney (which, admittedly, was quite a few years ago) was predominantly okay movies with musical skits thrown in. And annoying as the musical skits were, they did not make me think I would've felt insulted even if I were 7, which Lucas actually managed to do with Jar-Jar. I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 02:45:03 PM

Things I'd like to see:

Pixar make a movie based on insert-old-lucasats-game-here. I don't care which one.

A space-combat game like Xwing or Tie Fighter! Mouse controlled though (in..ALL senses of the word) might not bring back the magic.

I don't have high hopes for any movies - it'll probably be a straight to DVD cartoon movie when they say one every 2-3 years. If they are live action the chance of the franchise being bleed for all it's worth is as good as EA taking over a gaming studio. Though a complete remake of the prequels by getting JJ Abram's might work.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:46:36 PM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 30, 2012, 02:45:35 PM

The neckbeards will bristle with rage if Episodes 7-9 invalidate a bunch of EU canon (which seems hard to not do.)

So?  That'll be the best part!

Unfortunately I'm willing to bet it will validate most if not all of it instead.

I dunno, the prequels invalidated a bunch of canon, too, and nobody gives a shit, as far as I can tell.  I think I have a "Star Wars Encyclopedia" floating around from when I was a kid that talks about how bravely the republic soldiers fought against an evil army of clones in the Clone Wars, among other things (like the origins of the Death Star or C-3PO).

If I were in charge, I'd just KotOR the thing and set it a hundred years after Return of the Jedi, to explain the lack of Mark Hamill and co. and just avoid the soap opera "and then they all get married and their kids have adventures" shit altogether.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 02:46:32 PM

Article I read states Lucas will still be a creative consultant on the upcoming films so his stink will still infest the project, hopefully its minimal though
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 02:46:53 PM

Also, LEGO...

Because...? No change to the Lego tie-ins. They do Star Wars and they also do Toy Story, Avengers and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Sorry. I meant to imply that (as others have stated) the 4B pricetag seems low for the boost that a Disney channel will get from Clone Wars longterm PLUS whatever the a annual lego liscensing comes to.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 03:12:31 PM

Comedy Option: Muppet Star Wars.

I'd actually pay to see that.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 03:14:10 PM

So who DO we want to direct SW 7?

Fuck it , give me Nolan!

Was just about to post this.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 03:28:59 PM

I'm moderately interested in seeing what they do with Star Wars.  That's an IP that should be relatively fuck up proof. 

More interesting, to me, are the possibilities with Indiana Jones. 
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 30, 2012, 03:43:43 PM

Fuck the rat. That is all.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #53 on: October 30, 2012, 03:50:13 PM

By now the pertinent fanboy thought on the matter is that there's really nothing to lose with this transition. Disney could just 1. continue murdering the franchise as utterly as Lucas was, or they might 2. make a decent new star wars movie or show or something and breathe some life into the IP. The only thing that's changed is that there's now a chance of improvement. That's pretty much it.  None of the standard "Boy I hope Disney doesn't fuck up X by doing Y like they seem to do often" worries apply because Lucas has solidly fucked every X with a worse Y than Disney has ever had. A given pertinent Y is "goofy sidekicks For Kids™" of which they have never managed anything within orders of magnitude of Jar Jar, etc
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #54 on: October 30, 2012, 03:51:08 PM

I'm moderately interested in seeing what they do with Star Wars.  That's an IP that should be relatively fuck up proof. 

Head scratch

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 03:59:15 PM

Head scratch

There are so few ways to mismanage the franchise hard enough that anybody thinks you were worse for it than Lucas at this point.

HOWEVER, once cautious optimism sets in, that standpoint will change with the newfound fan demand that disney reach a certain level of not fucking the IP up as bad as Lucas did, but still .. it's a franchise with few ways to go but up.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #56 on: October 30, 2012, 04:01:16 PM

The best thing is to pretend nothing after The Empire Strikes Back ever happened.

For myself, I prefer the very first film anyway.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 30, 2012, 04:03:07 PM

The neckbeards will bristle with rage if Episodes 7-9 invalidate a bunch of EU canon (which seems hard to not do.)

I thought episode 7-9 was a bad idea until you posted this.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 04:05:48 PM

Animated episode VII created by Pixar in conjuction with ILM; Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, Wall-E) or Brad Bird (Ratatouille, The Incredibles) directing; screenplay by Lasseter and one of those two directors. I would watch it.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 04:15:10 PM

I just can't imagine another Star Wars film being anything other than unmitigated crap at this point.  But it'll probably still make money, so what the fuck do I know.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 04:16:33 PM

Can we finally get Star Wars properly on dvd and bluray? They can do whatever in the future if they justgive us that?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 04:18:24 PM

I don't get why people think disney will "ruin" star wars. You mean, more than it already has been?

Also, this will not be a clone wars movie and certainly not straight to dvd. You do not pay 4b dollars to make straight to dvd movies.

If they wanna do the small shit on the side, they own the ip now and they certainly will but you don't shell out that kind of money for the small shit.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 04:19:32 PM

Also, fuck yes numtini. We can now get unmolested star wars ep 4-5-6 on dvd and disney will make a killing selling it....which I have no doubt they will.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 04:26:01 PM

I don't get why people think disney will "ruin" star wars. You mean, more than it already has been?

This news is disappointing inasmuch as it means that the Star Wars corpse will not be allowed to quietly decompose with whatever dignity it has left.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 04:29:04 PM

Can we finally get Star Wars properly on dvd and bluray? They can do whatever in the future if they justgive us that?
Disney is the fucking worst when it comes to DVDs. They use a "limited release" cycle with their major titles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Vault
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 04:37:25 PM

Comedy Option: Muppet Star Wars.

I'd actually pay to see that.

I'm hoping you mean this.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 04:43:58 PM

By now the pertinent fanboy thought on the matter is that there's really nothing to lose with this transition. Disney could just 1. continue murdering the franchise as utterly as Lucas was, or they might 2. make a decent new star wars movie or show or something and breathe some life into the IP. The only thing that's changed is that there's now a chance of improvement. That's pretty much it.  None of the standard "Boy I hope Disney doesn't fuck up X by doing Y like they seem to do often" worries apply because Lucas has solidly fucked every X with a worse Y than Disney has ever had. A given pertinent Y is "goofy sidekicks For Kids™" of which they have never managed anything within orders of magnitude of Jar Jar, etc

That's about it. I don't even blame Lucas like a lot of people do. He's lost what little touch he had a long ass time ago. (Started during ROTJ, most likely) The smartest thing he could do is retire and hand SW down to a new generation of filmmakers. His major mistake was not realizing it until now.

I'll need to hear a lot more news to comment on any supposed new movies. Between now and then is far too much hollywood shenanigans to slog through. For now, I'll go with the safe internet messageboard opinion of "It'll suck!"  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 04:45:43 PM

Disney is the fucking worst when it comes to DVDs. They use a "limited release" cycle with their major titles:

That fact does not change the question posed. And, really, it's never been hard to get a copy of the Blu-Ray/DVD in modern times. We've been going through and collecting all the Disney flicks on Blu-Ray as they come out.

beer geek.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #68 on: October 30, 2012, 04:55:34 PM

Fuck the rat. That is all.

Ah! I see you've worked with Disney before, my friend!  (This is a common catchphrase I've heard from those who have. More on that later.)

Yes, not only limited release but incremental 'improvements' to drive new/ additional sales.   People mocked Lucas for putting out Star Wars in so many iterations. Look in to how many iterations of Cinderella or Snow White there have been from VHS-times forward.  That's with the "Disney Vault" treatment. If it had been out for continual release all those years we'd see more iterations than that.

Plus, Lucas is put to shame by Disney's direct-to-video and post-release merchandising fetish.  This is a marketing juggernaut that makes Lucas look like an amateur by comparison. Episode 7 is only the beginning.  

One of our clients at work is Disney, we do a lot of their boutique retail and outlet retail stores.  (Disney NYC? That's us.)  My office buddy is the project lead for all their stores, which is an interesting insight in to the other side of the mouse.   His brother is in Hollywood and has a good friend in a director at LucasFilm (who evidently works on the "Star Wars Animated project" which I assume is Clone Wars)  Upon hearing the news the brother sent an e-mail to the LucasFilm guy saying, "Hey, good luck with the Mouse!"    The reply was, "Fuck you, Gates!"  They seem to be thrilled.

On the other hand, this is apparently good news for the folks at LucasFilm as they will apparently now get union benefits.  Something Lucas had denied them all this time and with few options in that part of Northern California, meant they were all kind of stuck.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 05:10:38 PM

Holy shit, Disney buying Star Wars AND a new movie!  Fairly optimistic about this; Disney is on a roll.  There are still tons of stories to tell in that universe, you just need a good writer like ESB had Lawrence Kasdan.  I admit I don't watch Clone Wars though I've heard it's good.

Look, I'm an original fanboy, saw SW at the Cine Capri in Phoenix AZ when it released, BUT any mystic cachet it had was dispelled by the recent movies.  

Corporations like to make money and this franchise can still rake it in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm  
Jump to: