Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:21:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Engineer - Not getting it. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Engineer - Not getting it.  (Read 56679 times)
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: December 16, 2012, 08:58:48 AM

Isn't that a chance to heal?

Yes. I don't know why people keep whining that poor sigils are bad. Sigil of Fire is awesome on a grenade. But mostly it's a response to the idea that engineers were Grenades or GTFO. I think we all saw this coming a bit when grenades outperformed every other kit by quite a bit.

It outperforms the other kits because every other kit is terrible.  Welp, time to fire up my elementalist.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 17, 2012, 10:40:40 AM

It outperforms the other kits because every other kit is terrible. 

I think this is the plan. They wont stop until every class's options are reduced to common terribleness.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: December 17, 2012, 11:07:13 AM

What's the new hotness for Engineer? I'm thinking of finishing off my level 65 Engy but I need some inspiration.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #73 on: December 17, 2012, 03:12:17 PM

What's the new hotness for Engineer? I'm thinking of finishing off my level 65 Engy but I need some inspiration.

Nothing. If you read the patch notes - the 'enlightened devs' described the Engineer as a dude with 'EXTREME versatility' that comes with a price: His normal weapons attacks does less damage etc.
But then you read further down and see them describe Elementalist as 'King of Versatility'

awesome, for real

So yeah, they can shove 'extreme versatility' up their asses. While Engineers sacrifice one utility slot for a kit, the Elementalists just put on a weapon and gain all Attunement attack set + Utilities.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 17, 2012, 05:20:18 PM

Nothing. If you read the patch notes - the 'enlightened devs' described the Engineer as a dude with 'EXTREME versatility' that comes with a price: His normal weapons attacks does less damage etc.
But then you read further down and see them describe Elementalist as 'King of Versatility'

awesome, for real

So yeah, they can shove 'extreme versatility' up their asses. While Engineers sacrifice one utility slot for a kit, the Elementalists just put on a weapon and gain all Attunement attack set + Utilities.

Yeah, well there's only one ele trait spec (0/10/0/30/30) which isn't gimptastic that works for ele's with one set of weapons with only melee range as an option... and that's about it.  So yeah, extreme versatility.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #75 on: December 17, 2012, 05:23:32 PM

WTF? ANet class balance people apparently have a DAOC-era view of class balance? You were only supposed to copy the good parts of DAOC.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #76 on: December 17, 2012, 05:30:22 PM

Full quote:

Warrior
        We want the Warrior to be capable of good melee damage in a sturdy body. They can still do some decent damage at range, but they aren’t as good at it as the Ranger (with their pet). They have a hard time taking enemy boons down, and instead, have to just go through them with raw force. They may have a hard time with enemy conditions, and may need to ask for ally help in order to keep themselves free of hampering conditions.

Guardian
        The Guardian is a heavy armor class who relies on boons to make up for their low levels of innate health. They focus on area control and punishing enemies for the position on the battlefield. We want them to feel very powerful when their boons are active, but if those boons are removed, they will start to feel pressure. They can remove conditions more easily than the Warrior, but share the Warrior’s need to be in melee range to dole out maximum damage.

Ranger
        The ranger class combines its own innate abilities with the skills of their pets. We’ve balanced the class around the idea that you always have a pet with you to aid in any fight. The fact that the ranger can have multiple pets allows them to combine their pets in ways that most impact the current fight. We want the Ranger to have some of the evasion enjoyed by the Thief, as well as the mobility other classes employ. The class is able to deal physical or condition damage, and it can do this in melee or at range.

Engineer
        The Engineer is a highly versatile class. While it doesn’t have the long range capabilities of the Ranger, or the melee capabilities of the Warrior or Guardian, they are comfortable at medium ranges in most fights. They have a lot of control, and use their boons to keep themselves (and allies) alive in a fight. They can use different kits based on the situation, but this extreme versatility comes at a cost in damage on their main hand weapons.

Thief
        Thieves are the masters of mobility, stealth and high single target damage. They can be very fragile if you counter their stealth with area of effects or large stacks of conditions, but they trade this fragility in order to have some of the highest burst damage in the game. They are able to help allies through traps, venoms and the mobility to flank most encounters.

Mesmer
        Mesmers rely on illusions in order to accomplish their goals. They need illusions to accomplish some of their highest damage and control, and without the illusions, they become fairly fragile. They can deal with enemy boons better than most classes, but enemy conditions can often be a problem. They share some of the stealth and mobility that the Thief enjoys, but suffer from a low health pool if you get past all their tricks.

Ele
        We see the elementalist as the king of versatility. The skill ceiling for the Ele is exceptional, as the ability to leverage all four attunements at the right time is crucial for understanding the elementalist. The Ele boasts some of the best team support and control abilities in the game, as well as some great area of effect damage.

Necro
        The necro boasts the highest natural health of all the caster classes, and also has death shroud to extend that life total even higher. While they don’t have some of the escape or damage reduction capabilities that other classes boast, they do have a lot of ways to win attrition fights. They have access to poison on multiple weapons, they are able to combine condition damage with raw damage, and they have multiple disables to interrupt enemy skills. Necomancers also have multiple movement disabling abilities, while allows them to chase down enemies who are low on health.

Notice they never mentioned pets.

Going forward

Tank vs spike vs physical DPS vs condie DPS. We want to keep making balance changes that allow all classes to have various builds they can use. We don’t want tanks dominating the game, and we don’t want spike builds dominating. It’s healthy to have multiple types of builds in the meta, so we’ll be improving the balance to facilitate a healthy meta.
    AOE balance. We feel that in PvP some AOE builds are too strong for the opportunity cost, and we’ll be bringing those in line in the next few patches.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 18, 2012, 07:44:23 AM

It really is a headscratcher.  The general consensus is that Engineers are pretty bad, yet they nerfed the one halfway decent spec into uselessness.  Meanwhile perma-invisible thrives were buffed.   awesome, for real

Edit:  this happens to me with alarming frequency:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Zw8vNJVvg
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:54:51 AM by amiable »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Engineer - Not getting it.  
Jump to: