Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:59:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Not so good news about F2P 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not so good news about F2P  (Read 151781 times)
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: November 27, 2012, 09:19:30 PM

if you get logged out from the server due to being idle, the game thinks you've gone F2P and takes your bars and stuff away (full restart of the game fixes it, but you still have to repopulate your bars I think).

so that's it lol. I do that all the time.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: November 28, 2012, 01:00:59 AM

The part about F2P I agree with fully, though the stuff before it grousing about the story (which suddenly sucks now that bashing on TOR's the thing to do) and comparisons to other recent MMOs' story offerings kind of had me rolling my eyes a bit.
The only game that is even comparable to SWTOR in this area is TSW imo, and that's just the writing - the overall narrative/story is better in SWTOR still, imo, not to mention there's a lot more of it (yeah, some of it is silly, and the Superweapon of the Day trope is a bit tired, but what can ya do). MOP and GW2? yeah no, and I say this as someone who doesn't think the GW2 story is too bad.

I'm not sure if they would've been better off just monetizing some of the story content (say... the level 40+ planets, since you have a pretty good hook in the player at that point) instead, LOTRO-style. OTOH the fact that they did not do this is a huge plus in their f2p model for me, so yeah.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:03:12 AM by Zetor »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: November 28, 2012, 11:09:00 AM

My big issue with superweapons in SWTOR is that people keep talking about them but you never actually see them because lol MMO.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: November 28, 2012, 11:12:25 AM

You end up killing a few of them, I guess that counts  awesome, for real

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: November 28, 2012, 11:40:42 AM

My big issue with superweapons in SWTOR is that people keep talking about them but you never actually see them because lol MMO.

Well, you get to actually test-fire one in the  story, and you get to see the effects of one in the  story.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: November 28, 2012, 11:48:20 AM

I really need to stop spamming the space bar when I quest. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #356 on: November 29, 2012, 11:24:36 AM

I really need to stop spamming the space bar when I quest. 
Heh.

I've been dropping in to play my newbie Inq every now and again. I forgot how much I like the story stuff, especially when grouped. I got in the most godawful group on Korriban, three wipes and I'm sure one guy was afk most of the time. Then I solo'd the gold mob that spawns in the open area, got a nice blue saber drop which afk guy 'needed' and got. Dropped that group and promptly ended up in a fully awesome group with another Inq and a SW that just wrecked those 2+ quests, made me remember how much fun grouping can be in this game.

Still not sure how much the f2p stuff will chafe in teh long run, but it's a nice compliment to GW2 and PS2.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #357 on: November 29, 2012, 11:31:37 AM

Fordel, Sjofn, a 3rd friend, and I are doing a 4 person group through everything (planets, dungeons, story quests as we've all seen the ones we're not playing, etc.) and it's pretty awesome. Social points are through the roof too, we're level 18 and almost done with Coruscant, and I already hit Social 3.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: November 29, 2012, 12:13:04 PM

Even in a duo I was Social VI by the time I hit 50; I can see a four-man-band hitting Social X by 40.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: November 29, 2012, 12:17:41 PM

I always thought that it was stupid that they didn't give social points for doing Heroic FP's.  Did they ever change that?  My sniper has run like a bajillion Heroics and is still social 1. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: November 29, 2012, 12:28:09 PM

Don't you get social points for doing esseles / black talon on hardmode?

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: November 29, 2012, 12:33:55 PM

I'm surprised they never made social points apply to your whole Legacy instead of keeping it per character.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: November 29, 2012, 12:37:04 PM

They've talked about it, I suspect it's just not really a front burner issue.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: November 29, 2012, 12:45:08 PM

I always thought that it was stupid that they didn't give social points for doing Heroic FP's.  Did they ever change that?  My sniper has run like a bajillion Heroics and is still social 1.

You get social points for killing (most) champion-tier enemies and for each boss in flashpoints. Heavy flashpointing while leveling will net you about social 3-4, and doing Hard Mode FPs at 50 will rocket you up the Social tiers. Raiding gets you even more Social points. You can also buy social point boosters from the auction house for a song, since every Cartel Pack has a high chance of coming with a bunch.

Just as an example, my Juggernaut tank who only started doing FPs at level 30 when 1.3 hit (bringing with it both the group finder and boosted Social through flashpoints) outstripped the Social ranks of every one of my peers in the raid group - many of whom had been playing since launch - by the time I hit 50. I hit Social X almost two months ago; the rest of my raid started hitting it this week.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:48:18 PM by koro »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: November 29, 2012, 01:06:22 PM

[... doing Hard Mode FPs at 50 will rocket you up the Social tiers.

Are you positive about this?  At release Hard Modes gave 0 social points.

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: November 29, 2012, 01:10:24 PM

Pretty sure they changed that a long time ago.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: November 29, 2012, 01:20:10 PM

Pretty sure they changed that a long time ago.

Pretty sure isn't very convincing.

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: November 29, 2012, 01:27:11 PM

A quick check indicates it was changed in 1.3 (same patch where they made social gear adaptive and added social point rewards for killing champion mobs.)

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: November 29, 2012, 01:27:46 PM

A quick check indicates it was changed in 1.3 (same patch where they made social gear adaptive and added social point rewards for killing champion mobs.)

Danke!

-  Mark Twain
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: November 29, 2012, 01:35:06 PM

I'm also pretty sure I mentioned that changing in 1.3.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: November 29, 2012, 01:47:16 PM

I'm also pretty sure I mentioned that changing in 1.3.

... and who are you again?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

-  Mark Twain
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: December 05, 2012, 05:17:37 AM

Seems like the new covert pilot suit is a huge hit republic side.  Even despite that I was able to grab it for about 1.5 mil.  The outfits are going to be some big money items once they put in original ones.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: December 05, 2012, 07:37:34 AM

Need to get me some of that action.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: December 05, 2012, 10:47:49 AM

I sold 2 stacks of 5 of whatever the blue tier 8 crafting thing is for 1.25 million each, as they happened to come out of a couple packs I bought, lucky me. Now I have a throne.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: December 05, 2012, 10:50:32 AM

Can you elaborate on that item?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: December 05, 2012, 10:55:57 AM

I'll try to figure out the name when I get a chance. Basically I just looked at the various 'crafting materials' that I had on hand after opening packs, and checked the prices of everything on the AH. Almost everything is pretty low value except that one and some purple cube thing - the cubes are worth less, and also haven't sold.

EDIT:

These things. http://www.torhead.com/item/guPvKRe/molecular-stabilizer
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:57:39 AM by Ingmar »

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: December 05, 2012, 11:40:35 AM

Molecular Stabilizers are worth a small fortune because they're used for quite nearly everything crafting-wise at the current end-game.

Rank 26/27 item modifications? Check
Reverse-engineered Campaign/Dread Guard armor and weapon models? Yep
Black Hole/Hazmat implants/earpieces? Mmhmm
The new better-than-Dread Guard droid parts? Sure do

About the only things that don't require them are buff stims and augments. Hell, even the new crafted ship parts coming in 1.6 also require them (among a slew of other expensive shit).

The purple Tier 8 crafting mats (the little cubes) go for much less because you tend to use fewer of them; recipes using Stabilizers typically use 4-6 of the things while the Matrices are only needed in batches of 1-2 (and sometimes none). My guild's bank usually hovers between 70-100+ of the Matrices, while Stabilizers are usually in the 0-20 range. You can get maybe about 60 per week if you do all of the raids where they drop* and due to the retarded drop system used for the highest tier of raid gear in Terror From Beyond, everyone needs many of them for item mod crafting.

In case you're curious/don't know, each boss in TFB (even hard mode) drops only one piece of loot per kill in a standard 8-man raid (two pieces in 16-man), compared to two pieces per kill in every other raid in the game - including the newest, Nightmare difficulty Explosive Conflict. The first TFB boss only drops Hazmat gear, which pulls from an item pool with literally hundreds of things in it, the second boss only drops one token for set boots, the third only one glove token. The last two bosses are where it gets stupid: the fourth boss drops only one item like everything else, but he can drop either the offhand token OR the pants, with a 50% chance of each; in nearly two months of killing him weekly, we've seen the pants exactly once. The final boss can drop either the main hand or the chest piece with similar odds of each happening, and we've seen the main hand only once in a month of kills. So not only does the lower amount of loot slow down gearing to a crawl, the random chance on the final two bosses means that loot goes to waste more often than not.

*Four per chest in Explosive Conflict, with three chests and two lockouts in which they drop. Six per chest in Terror From Beyond, with three chests and two lockouts as well. You can also get them via lockboxes with Fleet Comms from doing space missions, but they require a week's worth of grinding space in order to get one raid chest's worth of mats.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:42:15 AM by koro »
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #377 on: December 07, 2012, 11:53:06 AM

Jumped back in, and discovered my 34 sorc and 50 merc are both unplayable with 2 hotbars. I'll try again with 1.6, but it wasn't playable enough for me to even consider subbing again.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: December 07, 2012, 11:54:33 AM

Well, if you subbed you'd have 6 bars.  tongue

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #379 on: December 07, 2012, 11:59:28 AM

I'm not willing to give them money unless it's fun, and it's hard to check for fun with that restriction.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: December 07, 2012, 12:15:08 PM

I'm not willing to give them money unless it's fun, and it's hard to check for fun with that restriction.

You have at least 4 bars as a former sub.  If you can't even be assed to figure out how to open them you're just being a whiny bitch.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: December 07, 2012, 12:20:00 PM

Preferred don't have 4 bars on live yet, I don't think - they announced they were changing, but I don't think they've pushed it out yet.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #382 on: December 07, 2012, 12:23:56 PM

Looking at the cartel coin calculator I'd need to spend "Price: 26.09$ - 39.72$" to get the amount of stuff I'd need to never wanna sub again.

http://www.swtor-spy.com/guides/swtor-cartel-market-calculator/2769/

Ehhh. I'm having a hard time deciding if it's worth $15 to sub for a month to goof around and get my free funny-money for my previous sub time.

edit: I was able to enable 4 bars last time I logged in. I think it was hotfixed in.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: December 07, 2012, 12:26:44 PM

Ah, cool. I thought it was part of 1.6. So rattran might just need to open up the interface editor and load the 'extended quickbars' template.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: December 07, 2012, 12:45:31 PM

I did end up resubbing for a month, but not because of the 'bonus' cartel coins ($1.50 equivalent for a box preorder + 1 month of sub is kinda laughable as an incentive, sorry) or the hotbars (finding 2 hotbars when I logged in was a deterrent, not an inspiration to resub -- but like others have said, they've thankfully gone back on this).

Anyway, game's still decent to play, and the story is second-to-none in MMO land. It kinda scratches a different itch than WOW-MOP (which I unsubbed for now) and GW2 (which I still enjoy a lot, and it doesn't have a monthly sub) for me -- think of it as renting a triple-A single-player game for $15/mo. The 'preferred player' option is WAY too hamstrung to enjoy, imo... and you'll probably end up spending more $ to get the same perks that are built into a sub.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:47:50 PM by Zetor »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Not so good news about F2P  
Jump to: