Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:36:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Not so good news about F2P 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not so good news about F2P  (Read 152228 times)
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: November 10, 2012, 06:13:24 AM

All former subscribers who reactivate their subscription by the new date of December 20, 2012 at 11:59am CDT will be granted Complimentary Cartel Coins for their prior paid months up to November 15, 2012.

...so not only do I have to pay more money to get my "complimentary" Cartel Coins that I essentially paid for through subscribing since release, but there's also a fucking "complimentary" expiration date?

Mob

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: November 10, 2012, 06:33:59 AM

You don't have to do anything.

EA is not the boss of you.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: November 10, 2012, 12:39:03 PM

Trying to chop a game designed for subscription into f2p, without cannibalising subscriptions is why we see these sort of pointless semi-conversions that are just stealing focus and resources.

Not really pointless.  They now have a game with subs+cash shop and not much bitching from subbers.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #213 on: November 10, 2012, 02:08:04 PM

I bet trying to lure back the people they alienated would've been a good business move.

Or just go ahead and continue alienating them, whatever.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: November 11, 2012, 05:54:04 PM

Yea but the reason people left was due to game design things that are far more expensive to change than a billing model.

Separately, I imagine they're a bit re-energized now that some new movies are coming. They got a couple of years to figure out how to evolve this game to align smiley
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: November 11, 2012, 07:16:37 PM

So when they first did the merges, I lost Fordel and renamed myself Fordell (two L's). Now that they did the super mega mergers, I have somehow reclaimed Fordel, as I had that as a level 1 alt name on our original server...

huh

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #216 on: November 11, 2012, 10:39:37 PM

Time to level a new Trooper clearly!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: November 11, 2012, 10:55:11 PM

I'd be jumping for joy if the names I lost were suddenly available.

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: November 12, 2012, 12:11:50 AM

Depends if I can get them to move the name back to the proper toon now.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: November 12, 2012, 01:25:32 AM

The thing with the names is definitely moronic.  With F2P starting it will be even worse.  Even something simple like a "display" name would go a long way.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: November 13, 2012, 06:57:12 AM

SWTOR-Spy now has a calculator for determining the dollar cost of the stuff in the market. Apparently some things have increased in price.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: November 13, 2012, 11:08:46 AM

And other things have dropped in price I think? I could swear quickbars were more than 250 each last I saw.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: November 13, 2012, 11:11:42 AM

Nah, quickbars were always 250... though in practice I'd rather go with the account-level quickbar (at least 1, probably 2). 2 quickbars + artifact unlock are 3780 coins total, that's $27.49 - $42. Where are they getting the dollar prices from (and what's with the huge variance), btw?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: November 13, 2012, 11:14:04 AM

Ah, that's what I was missing, account-wide unlocks at the end.

Yeah, things are just generally too high in price it seems like. I get 1750 coins for subbing since launch and having the digital deluxe bonus, if anyone was curious. Won't go far if you're intending to try to F2P it. (I'm not, so w/e on that for me.)

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: November 13, 2012, 11:14:45 AM

Yep, I have 150 coins for 1 month of sub (preorder + free month don't give any coins).

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: November 13, 2012, 11:15:37 AM

The variance in price by the way is because the bigger bundles of coins are cheaper in a per coin sense.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: November 13, 2012, 03:55:31 PM

I'll be keeping my sub, I'm gonna blow all my saved up coins on those cartel packs and then done.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: November 13, 2012, 03:57:05 PM

I think I might buy a bunch of account inventory/bank unlock things so I don't have to spend any credits on alts 5-16.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: November 13, 2012, 07:59:58 PM

Yeah, things are just generally too high in price it seems like.

The artifact license is the one that makes the least sense.  You'd only really want that at 50.  If you're playing at 50 you're subbing one way or another.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: November 14, 2012, 01:34:20 AM

I really don't understand the strategy here.

They get the stink of desperation associated with "free" to play, but haven't provided a viable, sustainable, or even comprehensible path for microtransaction players. I cannot imagine what sort of player could conceivably want to pick their way through that mess in order to play without subscription. It even seems to create issues with existing players who for some reason now think "F"2P should mean the game is cheaper overall.

If this a story based mmo, why not just have people pay per story, maybe leaving the prologues free.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:35:53 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: November 14, 2012, 01:42:15 AM

It's not f2p, it's a trial. I think they expect 'f2p' people to convert to subscribers once they get annoyed enough by the restrictions. They aren't really expecting old subscribers to come back either (I mean srsly, 150 coins and some grandfathered storage for preordering the game at $60+?).

The only problem is -- when people get annoyed by the restrictions, they tend to quit instead.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: November 14, 2012, 01:47:54 AM

And if they just said that it would make sense to me. Obfuscating the cost of playing in a reasonable way just seems like terrible marketing.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: November 14, 2012, 06:57:29 AM

Nah, quickbars were always 250... though in practice I'd rather go with the account-level quickbar (at least 1, probably 2). 2 quickbars + artifact unlock are 3780 coins total, that's $27.49 - $42. Where are they getting the dollar prices from (and what's with the huge variance), btw?

The $42 is the actual hard dollar value of the 3780 coins (90 coins per dollar, revealed during the conference call last week with coin pricing details), and I assume $27.49 is how much it costs in dollars if you buy the highest-tier coin packs, which give you a better dollars-to-coins conversion rate.

Edit: In fact, it even says so right at the top of the page:

This tool also helps you determine how many coins it will cost to buy all the items you are interested in and an estimate cost in USD. Low price point is calculated at 137 coins for 1$ exchange rate (what you get when you buy the biggest coin package) and high price point is 90 coins for 1$. Just click on the "Add to wishlist" link and browse away.

Also, I messed around with it a bit, and to get an F2P account as close to parity with a subscriber's account as you can get, it costs 12,650 cartel coins, or between $92.34 and $140.56, depending on the size of the coin packs you buy. After that, it's between $28-42 a month to unlock access to Warzones, Flashpoints, Operations, and space missions. Even then, you're still stuck with only two characters (once they implement that), a strict in-game credit cap (that can only be removed via subscribing), and a hefty XP penalty.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:10:13 AM by koro »
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: November 14, 2012, 01:51:13 PM

And if they just said that it would make sense to me. Obfuscating the cost of playing in a reasonable way just seems like terrible marketing.

The cost of playing is easy to see.  You just click on $$$ buttons and quickly understand the cost is subscribing.  There's no way they'll admit it's a trial.  The whole point is to shoehorn in the cash shop.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: November 14, 2012, 02:05:26 PM

The cost to unlock most of the things I feel like I "need" (account-wide unlocks for artifact/event gear, companion tradeskills, UI elements, etc.) adds up to around $50. That's the box cost to buy-in to a relatively complete gameplay experience. I feel pretty comfortable with that, though I'd have felt much better spending $80+ on game content instead.

My wish list at this point would be:

-removing the hotbar limitation entirely for all players, even those that spend nothing
-adding monthly discounted passes for warzones/FPs/OPs.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: November 14, 2012, 02:10:05 PM

What I'd like to do is the ability to share legacy (and maybe coin) across servers. My old EQ/DAoC friends will decide to join  ANY DAY NOW so I want to be able to hit the ground running when I reroll on another server.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #236 on: November 14, 2012, 02:28:04 PM

Tell them to roll on Ebon Hawk, silly!

Actually cross server legacy WOULD be delightful, I have friends on Jedi Covenant. :(

God Save the Horn Players
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: November 14, 2012, 02:32:53 PM

Another general point on this design, too many of the features you don't start with are necessary to make the game enjoyable. Locking med droids? Seriously?

If the trial isn't fun why the hell would people start to sub.

Also, this feature nickel and diming is all very well, but every time a microtrans player unlocks a thing they are going to feel that investment is wasted if they sub (rationality be damned) putting another barrier between them and a subscription.

I just don't get it.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: November 14, 2012, 02:37:55 PM

So when they first did the merges, I lost Fordel and renamed myself Fordell (two L's). Now that they did the super mega mergers, I have somehow reclaimed Fordel, as I had that as a level 1 alt name on our original server...

huh

As expected:

Unfortunately, at this time server transfers, account to account transfers, name changes, race changes, and legacy changes are not services that we offer. While this may change in the future, currently we are unable to offer assistance with these requests.

why so serious?

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: November 14, 2012, 02:58:30 PM

Tell them to roll on Ebon Hawk, silly!

Actually cross server legacy WOULD be delightful, I have friends on Jedi Covenant. :(

yeabut I'd want to start over with them and I pretty much already filled up all my slots already. Most of them I think are still on the first planet tho.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: November 14, 2012, 07:34:26 PM

I have one more for their F2P model.  Subs get to keep names, F2P can choose names but if a sub takes it then F2P loses it.  Brilliant I know
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #241 on: November 14, 2012, 07:59:05 PM

I have one more for their F2P model.  Subs get to keep names, F2P can choose names but if a sub takes it then F2P loses it.  Brilliant I know

That is the most incredibly brilliant, genius-level MENSA-grade stupidity I've ever heard.

EDIT: Is there a link to that info somewhere?

Given how EA has been behaving towards SWOR's F2P, I found it plausible.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:46:27 PM by UnSub »

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: November 15, 2012, 12:08:41 AM

Locking med droids? Seriously?

Yea that's a pretty fatal flaw.  There's no ghost mode to skip mob packs on your corpse run.  I expect they'll nix it very fast.

EDIT: Is there a link to that info somewhere?

It was a joke.  They aren't actually doing that.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: November 15, 2012, 10:14:55 AM

And despite a twelve hour downtime:

Today’s server maintenance has been extended with no ETA. We will update as soon as we have more info. Thank you for your patience.

Show of hands, who's surprised? Anyone?

Didn't think so.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: November 15, 2012, 10:26:06 AM

They've had some router issues as well (post Sandy), so it doesn't surprise me given their skeleton crew.  Fortunately, I have a job and it will be up when I get home  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Not so good news about F2P  
Jump to: