Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:02:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Obsidian's "Pillars of Eternity" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Obsidian's "Pillars of Eternity"  (Read 209315 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: March 31, 2015, 01:27:57 PM

Turns out my character has NOT been affected yet by the stats bug.  The reason I have a -1 in the stats is that if you jiggle your stats around, then pick your 'bonus background' and then go back and jiggle and then change and then jiggle, eventually, you won't know what the fuck you've given.

And it will take a minus out of a stat you thought was an even number.

So watch out for that kids.  Friends don't let friends play about with a character;  think once and then FUCKING LIVE WITH IT.

swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
WayAbvPar

Reply #561 on: March 31, 2015, 01:29:24 PM

Everyone please complain to Obsidian and Steam and tell them you will only be satisfied with a patch and then an immediate Steam sale for ~$20. TIA.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #562 on: March 31, 2015, 02:31:40 PM

Remember when I said I don't give Paradox money because everything they release is riddled with bugs. And then people said that's crazy.

Is it?

is it crazy?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #563 on: March 31, 2015, 02:49:10 PM

I'm shocked that an Obsidian game was released full of bugs.
schild
Administrator

Reply #564 on: March 31, 2015, 02:50:32 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #565 on: March 31, 2015, 03:25:42 PM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #566 on: March 31, 2015, 03:33:05 PM

Remember when I said I don't give Paradox money because everything they release is riddled with bugs. And then people said that's crazy.

Is it?

is it crazy?

It is not crazy.  You're talking to the crazy people here.  I'd bet you a sum of American money that they do, in fact, remember Knights of the Old Republic II yet still get hard dicks thinking about how awesome this game will be now that Obsidian is "free" to do what they wanted all along.  Which, I would wager, is perform half-ass game development.

Also, the more reasonable ones remember you have avoided Dying Light simply because of the intro movie and so you maintain an aura of suspicious motive.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: March 31, 2015, 04:05:28 PM

I've yet to encounter any bugs.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: March 31, 2015, 04:16:33 PM

Is it?

is it crazy?

I've yet to experience any. Besides, I wouldn't blame Paradox so much as the fact it is an Obsidian game.

And to Yegolev... I've never played KotOR 2 (and not much of 1.. although this is mainly because I despise Star Wars more than anything else). I will, however, admit to being crazy. That is just a simple fact I'm quite comfortable with.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: March 31, 2015, 04:19:03 PM

Personally, I haven't complained about bugs because.. well, I haven't experienced any. I never double-clicked equipment, so never got that bug (for which there's a work around unless it happens to the pc). Never had the permament buff bug, because I've never buffed, saved, loaded. Never had a ranger bug because the D&D games taught me to never play a ranger. Didn't get stuck anywhere or anything. Didn't even get the Act 2 quest line bug with the three factions (which is related to the Winds of Steel knights quest).

Didn't even try to avoid them, just never got them, so nothing to complain about. The patch this week should help a lot of these (and, knowing Obsidian, create some new interesting ones), but I haven't put off playing waiting for it (just because I haven't had time, sadly).

Ditto. The bugs thing is massively overstated. There are a couple very specific and very easily avoided ones that I'd not know about apart from the Internet, and the game is otherwise bug free (to date).

The Act 2 quest thing isn't a bug, just a poorly communicated story commitment.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:21:31 PM by lamaros »
Zane0
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: March 31, 2015, 04:35:31 PM

Is it?

is it crazy?

It is not crazy.  You're talking to the crazy people here.  I'd bet you a sum of American money that they do, in fact, remember Knights of the Old Republic II yet still get hard dicks thinking about how awesome this game will be now that Obsidian is "free" to do what they wanted all along.  Which, I would wager, is perform half-ass game development.

Also, the more reasonable ones remember you have avoided Dying Light simply because of the intro movie and so you maintain an aura of suspicious motive.
Give me nothing but half-assed game development please if it means something like kotor 2 again and again. Although this particular devil's bargain is irrelevant since poe is actually a p. clean product.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: March 31, 2015, 05:04:18 PM

kotor 2 was not kotor 1.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #572 on: March 31, 2015, 05:34:10 PM

Kotor 2 was better than kotor 1 in every way except for the rushed story/final.

Paradox is perhaps he only game company Im comfortable giving money to, since everybody else sucks now.

Some other contradictory statement.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #573 on: March 31, 2015, 05:34:55 PM

My bugs have been pretty minor gripes. I gave 'em $20 for the kickstarter so it doesn't bother me.

Keep Simonding the thread though. it delivers.  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #574 on: March 31, 2015, 06:17:26 PM

If you want to keep playing before the patch, here's a nice summary of what you must pay attention to (good especially for those who want to start over right nao):

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/74236-should-i-wait-until-the-patch-fixes-said-gamebreaking-bugs/?p=1618876

Okay:

Don't double-click to equip.

Don't save and load the game in a location where you recruited a companion.

Save regularly and don't overwrite your saves, you want to be able to back up if you hit a problem.  Probably not a terrible idea to occasionally copy the save folder over somewhere else.

If you equip any items that boost stats, keep an eye on the person wearing them that the stat in question isn't having its base value increased beyond where it should be over time.

Avoid the Drinking Horn of Moderation amulet.

Maybe avoid rangers for the time being; their animal companions can disappear and apparently remain disappeared across all your saves, preventing you from moving between areas.

Make sure you have a proper save before going to Raedric's Hold, as well as before entering the Sanitarium.

If you are playing a goody two shoes benevolent type, don't do the quest that starts with a godlike woman called Pallegina saying something to you, it'll end up broken.

I think there are at least two more:

- "Plague of Insects" spell cast by enemy druids (already mentioned by Calapine):
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73407-plague-of-insects-with-infinite-duration/#entry1618648

- Be sure that the Priest spell "Holy Power" is not affecting your characters while you're transitioning or resting (another stat accumulation bug?)
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72413-durance-insane-stats/page-2#entry1618828

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: March 31, 2015, 08:00:06 PM

No bugs for me. I have a ranger in the party, I've been in and out of Raedric's Hold and the Sanitarium.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #576 on: March 31, 2015, 09:26:19 PM

Kotor 2 was better than kotor 1 in every way except for the rushed story/final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9LgUXdxkE0
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: April 01, 2015, 01:56:27 AM

I never ever managed to get into KOTOR 2.  Played the shit out of 1, but 2 just didn't do it for me...

I'm still enjoying the hell out of this and now that I've found that it's just a poor character creator I should have watched out for, I'm cool with it.

But a patch should come quick, given that list...

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: April 01, 2015, 04:03:05 AM

Not sure how far in I am after the first main city. I hope there's still more fun to come.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: April 01, 2015, 05:44:10 AM

Quote from: Oei_Derek_MObsidian
Unfortunately we are unable to add new strings into the game at this point. These may get changed in future releases, but at the moment just look at the effects portion of the spell description.
awesome, for real
This is in relation to certain spell descriptions being incorrect, which will not be addressed in the patch.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #580 on: April 01, 2015, 06:51:27 AM

Depending on how many languages they need to support for text this might actually be too much of a hassle to add if they want to get out everything else they need to fix quickly.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: April 01, 2015, 07:12:22 AM

Is rogue backstab ever useful? I cant recall ever getting very close to an enemy before being revealed, even with decent stealth. Stealth seems useless?
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #582 on: April 01, 2015, 07:32:52 AM

My main character is a bow-wielding rogue and I'm able to use it on a pretty regular basis.  You still have to get in pretty close, but it's a great way to thin an encounter quickly with a big opening shot.  Still, it isn't as useful as some other Rogue talents.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: April 01, 2015, 09:47:47 AM

Stealth to me is mostly useful when I want to path through an area and avoid a few encounters--even a party with a few weak stealth people can path through parts of Raedric's Hold, for example, without aggroing everything. It lets you target select too. But yeah, characters with super high stealth still don't seem able to get around an NPC to deliver a bit alphastrike backstab, mostly.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: April 01, 2015, 10:20:22 AM

I find when combat starts, stealth fails for everyone.  Am I doing it wrong ?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #585 on: April 01, 2015, 10:29:57 AM

Yes, when combat starts my stealth fails and I can't go stealthy again.  I can't seem to sneak up on anyone at all.  I think maybe we just need more points in stealth? 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #586 on: April 01, 2015, 10:34:22 AM

Backstab is probably only useful if you also take the talent that lets you turn invisible during combat.

Combat breaks party stealth but if a rogue is the one who starts combat (from stealth) they get a pretty strong opening attack.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #587 on: April 01, 2015, 10:45:23 AM

Is rogue backstab ever useful? I cant recall ever getting very close to an enemy before being revealed, even with decent stealth. Stealth seems useless?

just pull out an arbalest or aquerbus in sneak attack.
blam. you just hit the guy for 75 dmg.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: April 01, 2015, 11:31:32 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JulJxOIfPYo

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: April 01, 2015, 02:13:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JulJxOIfPYo

True gamer moment, he swigs from a 2-liter.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: April 01, 2015, 08:23:37 PM

Sneak Attack
Uses the rogue's ability to approach unseen, adding additional bonus damage to their attacks when the target is Blinded, Flanked, Hobbled, Paralyzed, Petrified, Prone, Stuck, Stunned or Weakened, as well as when any target is struck within two seconds of combat starting.

You can easily set up prone with Fighter's Knockdown > Followed up with said rogue shooting.
Within 2 seconds of Combat is easy too with ranged weapons.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #591 on: April 02, 2015, 05:19:31 AM

Flanked is easy to get too, as long as the rogue isn't the one tanking. Just give it couple seconds for the engagement ranges to establish so the targets won't run around, then walk up to them from the back/side. Commence stabbing.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: April 02, 2015, 06:51:28 AM

Aye, that's all very well, but Stealth has no place in combat beyond the first hit.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #593 on: April 02, 2015, 07:11:07 AM

Aye, that's all very well, but Stealth has no place in combat beyond the first hit.

Agreed.  Sneak attack is different than stealth/backstab though.

I ended up foregoing backstab and ending up just with a high damage fighter because of the sneak attack bonus.

Does make me wish I just ran with my barbarian though.

Most fights are stealth around looking at bad guys, then send in the fighter to grab 4 guys for engagement (mace + talents + modal), then open up the ranged barrage followed by a bunch of spells and the rogue on the spellcaster.  Works pretty well.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: April 02, 2015, 07:49:06 AM

Hunter's mark don't work as advertised.
+20 bonus damage to pet & ranger vs Marked Target is very unlikely.

This class is just sad.
I think it's likely I get +20% bonus damage against but it's not showing on the combat log, so yeah..another bug.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Obsidian's "Pillars of Eternity"  
Jump to: