Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 938077 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4095 on: September 10, 2021, 04:22:53 PM

The next big gameplay addition is coming to Star Citizen: Making injury and death a bigger pain in the ass to deal with! Can't wait to see videos of people getting crippled when bugs cause them to randomly get injured when getting out of their ship or something. Experience all the fun of slowly limping, having more limitations of where to respawn when you die, dropping the gear you have on you when you die, or hoping one of the 49 other people on the server at the time feels like flying for 15 minutes somewhere to give you a rez.

Also they're doing the thing again where they talk about how they're adjusting development so features will be more fully implemented when they're put in the game which I believe is at least the 3rd time they've made claims like that.

This is beautiful.

I so much want to see Samprimary's crushed, burned, and epileptic character continue to soldier on in a space wheelchair.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4096 on: September 10, 2021, 05:54:03 PM

i bet they are thrilled about having employment for another 5 years since there is no immediate risk of being kicked out when the game releases.

why so serious? DRILLING AND MANLINESS why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #4097 on: September 10, 2021, 06:09:45 PM

How do they still have money...

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4098 on: September 10, 2021, 06:16:32 PM

People keep buying .jpgs of space ships, obviously.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4099 on: September 10, 2021, 07:57:32 PM

Star Citizen - the original NFT.

That they have not moved to cryptocoin seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4100 on: September 10, 2021, 10:56:31 PM

Star Citizen - the original NFT.

That they have not moved to cryptocoin seems like a missed opportunity to me.
"This Is Good For Citcoin."

How do they still have money...
This has been bothering me too. How long can they keep this going? I have two groups of friends who've backed SC (none of them are whales, this is in the two-three digit $ range). One group has become super jaded by around 2019 and are in the "I'll care about SC if/when it ever comes out" camp now. The second group was much more devoted and is still holding on to hope*, but even they are dropping sarcastic quips nowadays about 'four more years of alpha' ever so often. None of them have been putting money into SC for a long time... so WHO IS?! (I assume the answer is something like 'a few dozen 1% gigawhales')

* my favorite quote from one guy was: "The teams making ships aren't the teams blocking the development of the game, so quit complaining about new ships"

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4101 on: September 11, 2021, 01:16:30 AM

If you really want to drill into the numbers or look over charts all the data has apparently been compiled here. The Monthly Funding Visualized chart (3rd chart down on the right-hand side) shows that funding saw a fairly decent increase in 2019, exploded in 2020, and 2021 has slowed down slightly but is still well past where 2019 was at this point. Maybe people are spending more time at home with their space jpegs because of the pandemic and that's causing an increase in funding, but aside from that I have no idea why the numbers even saw an increase in 2019.

The community has only seemed to get more and more insular over the years and it's not like CIG is a presence at any of the major game expos so I'm not sure where they'd be bringing any substantial amount of new players in from. Even on major gaming forums like GAF and ResetEra, the SC fans seem to have given up on trying to evangelize SC to the masses. I don't even know what the whales would be buying at this point unless they're spending money just to spend it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4102 on: September 11, 2021, 02:25:38 AM

The other thing is that while $384,000,000 is a pretty good amount for not actually shipping a completed product (especially for Chris and family who I've sure ended up with a large chunk of that), after 9 years and with the size of the teams they've had for a while now, I feel like they probably could have made quite a bit more than that had they released a couple games in that time instead. If they had just focused on a Wing Commander spiritual successor rather than trying to cobble one together with the same tech they're using for the persistent universe, they probably could have had it out the door already along with a couple expansion packs or a sequel.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4103 on: September 11, 2021, 08:55:00 AM

I cannot believe they've raised $40 million dollars this year alone. What the hell are people buying? It's got to just be whales whaling very hard, because like Vel said there's no advertising or anything pushing new players in. Looking at the chart, do they have some big push in May every year? 2020 and 2021 it was a huge month for them.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4104 on: September 11, 2021, 10:34:43 AM

Incredible this has continued for so long. I wonder how the employees who have been there from the start think and feel about the tripe they have been on.
They're excited for the prospect of their children carrying on their work.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4105 on: September 11, 2021, 11:09:56 AM

If you really want to drill into the numbers or look over charts all the data has apparently been compiled here. The Monthly Funding Visualized chart (3rd chart down on the right-hand side) shows that funding saw a fairly decent increase in 2019, exploded in 2020, and 2021 has slowed down slightly but is still well past where 2019 was at this point. Maybe people are spending more time at home with their space jpegs because of the pandemic and that's causing an increase in funding, but aside from that I have no idea why the numbers even saw an increase in 2019.

The community has only seemed to get more and more insular over the years and it's not like CIG is a presence at any of the major game expos so I'm not sure where they'd be bringing any substantial amount of new players in from. Even on major gaming forums like GAF and ResetEra, the SC fans seem to have given up on trying to evangelize SC to the masses. I don't even know what the whales would be buying at this point unless they're spending money just to spend it.

Money for gaming is super weird right now and I don't pretend to understand it. Off topic from Star Citizen, but one of my fav tabletop RPGs just did a little Kickstarter to re-release some of their older content, cleaned up for their most recent rules and such. They wanted 30 grand -- they just crossed 500 thousand at the close. Now I like this game (Delta Green if you are interested) and I chipped in $30.00 to get the reprints, but half a mil? This game wasn't ever really all that popular, and is basically three or four guys in Canada doing it all.

So good for them, I guess.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4106 on: September 11, 2021, 11:17:07 AM

Also worth noting that tomorrow is the 9 year anniversary of the start of this thread.
That is fucking crazy.  Even if this game suddenly came out and was technically perfect, it would be out-of-date and uninteresting.
The game does look nice, though, when it's working properly. They certainly aren't skimping on the visuals.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4107 on: September 15, 2021, 04:13:39 PM

It feels as if they need their own cryptocurrency that can only be mined IN GAME, and only with the most expensive ship types.

BAM! There's another ten years of life for this mofo right there.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4108 on: September 16, 2021, 06:37:55 AM

It feels as if they need their own cryptocurrency that can only be mined IN GAME, and only with the most expensive ship types.

BAM! There's another ten years of life for this mofo right there.

NFT space stations
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4109 on: September 16, 2021, 02:15:44 PM

There's no universe in where NFTs aren't the logical conclusion to this whole debacle. If I didn't already have GERD, I would now.

-Rasix
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4110 on: September 16, 2021, 09:25:54 PM

A scam "game" called Star Atlas has beat them to the NFT ships market.  SC may get there eventually but that bunch has the jump on them.

A chunk of the money recently raised is from some South African billionaire dope named Calder and his kid.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4111 on: October 10, 2021, 12:58:49 AM

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #4112 on: October 17, 2021, 05:23:58 AM

I pop into Star Citizen threads once every year or two and nothing seems to have changed. Still not out. Still bringing in money. Still a big scam. I see fans still evangelising about it on socmedia guess im just seeing the latest generation of mugs early on in their fanboi cycle. At some point the influx of fresh rubes dries up but kinda impressive that point still hasnt been reached.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4113 on: October 17, 2021, 09:42:04 AM

Ya, I looked at the Reddit after Velorath posted and it was basically "Hey! There was a planet with clouds!" repeated 100 times.

Hic sunt dracones.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4114 on: October 17, 2021, 05:52:28 PM

Ya, I looked at the Reddit after Velorath posted and it was basically "Hey! There was a planet with clouds!" repeated 100 times.

It's probably not near the top anymore, but there was also a long thread there when one of the devs pretty much acknowledged on Twitter that even when they get their magic "server meshing" technology implemented that it's pretty unlikely that the game will ever have everyone playing on a global server.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4115 on: October 23, 2021, 01:48:39 AM

I pop into Star Citizen threads once every year or two and nothing seems to have changed.

UM sorry sweaty but if you think nothing changed, you obviously missed the part where the ptu was so comically poorly implemented that it produced the world's first "PvP through medical malpractice" meta, smh look at you thinking that this game isn't trailblazing shit daily
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4116 on: October 23, 2021, 02:04:44 AM

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4117 on: October 23, 2021, 02:08:20 AM

participating in MALPRACTICE BASED PVP was fuckin tight

like here we were sneaking around on space stations dressed like normal NPCs in various standard clothing and NPC walking so you couldn't see us, then like as soon as people started trying to summon their ships to hangar we would just bust out our medical injectors and start pumping a player full of drugs, all while screaming TRUST ME I'M A DOCTOR

and they fuckin pass out and we're all going DOCTOR THE PATIENT IS COVERED IN EXPENSIVE GEAR, ITS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY WE HAVE TO GET HIM TO SURGERY STAT and we drag them to a ship and fly them out of the armistice zone and loot all their stuff and then eject them out of an airlock and they're all free floating in space while we try to clobber them with flybys and we're like laughing so hard we're dying. IM A DOCTOR IM A DOCTOR we say each time jumping on people like jackals. each time we are solidly astounded that nobody at the game studio was like "oh we should do something to keep people from doing this" and making a very common sense protection against the Medical Malpractice Meta and we're fucking crying, it's astounding, each time we're doing it to someone it's always some fucking true-ass believer with hundreds upon hundreds of dollars invested in this garbo pile who believers in Chris's Vision and they take it on themselves to defend the game and just be like 'there's sure to be some bumps in the alpha road' for year nine in a row as we like abduct them en masse from ports and push them out airlocks to try to form them up like bowling pins in space. i have laughed so hard my sides hurt the next day
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4118 on: October 23, 2021, 09:34:19 AM

Space Citizen 13 seems like a good game.

Hic sunt dracones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4119 on: October 23, 2021, 10:10:57 AM

Lol, wait a minute....there is PvP in this broke ass game?  I mean, I should probably already have known that, but it seems way too broken to introduce something like that so foolishly.  I thought it was just flying down to planet surfaces and accidentally dying in the cargo hold.

Also, for roughly 7 years now there is an occasional post in this thread, and every time there is a flash where I think to myself "huh, I wonder if somebody is posting about a reported release date, that would be something".

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4120 on: October 23, 2021, 10:29:24 AM

Is Starfleet Dental active in Star Citizen? Sounds like this is right up their alley...

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4121 on: October 23, 2021, 07:54:57 PM

Also, for roughly 7 years now there is an occasional post in this thread, and every time there is a flash where I think to myself "huh, I wonder if somebody is posting about a reported release date, that would be something".

lmao_u_sweet_summer_child.gif
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4122 on: October 23, 2021, 08:43:12 PM

Answer the Call: 2016
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4123 on: October 23, 2021, 10:56:13 PM

TRUST ME I'M A DOCTOR

Your description had me rolling. Please tell me there is a video.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4124 on: October 25, 2021, 12:16:05 AM

Always fun to see people start to realize a game can't actually be all things to all people.

If I understood the show today, the new idea is that we will no longer have a planned store to re-buy lost concierge, subscriber, or RSI-site-bought guns and armor. We can instead ask the cops to return the items we lost if the person that is holding the items goes to prison. So, uh, what if they never get sent to prison?

Seems like this is wide open to abuse. Send an item to an alt character that you don't really play often and stuff it in their hab, now it's gone for good? Will cops eventually raid a hab to look for a stolen pair of slacks? Or what if we just send it drifting into space?

This information will shape my future pledge decisions. Sort of takes the fun out of snagging those limited time items from the store. Not saying CIG should change the plan, but I do think there should be a disclaimer on non-vehicle pledge purchases: "Warning, this 15 dollar mining outfit will probably be gone forever when you die."

Who could have ever foreseen there being issues implementing full looting of players in a game where people spend tons of real money on stuff?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4125 on: October 25, 2021, 05:20:08 AM

That thread is a goldmine. There are a bunch of people debating insurance fraud in there. swamp poop why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4126 on: October 26, 2021, 08:03:31 PM

Golly, that's fun, let's rediscover Dread Lord Days as it never happened.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4127 on: October 26, 2021, 08:37:51 PM

Everybody wants to loot their kills. They just don't want to be looted.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4128 on: November 12, 2021, 02:19:48 PM

this patch is the "DO NOT GO TO JAIL" patch

new system implemented: jail is bad, don't go there

- updated new jail badness
- implemented new "oh i really dont want to go to jail" functionality
- increased jail going-to-is-badness by 7142%
- new regrets added as part of above
- living decapitation
- no head
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4129 on: November 12, 2021, 09:21:34 PM

you should just review Cuck already.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: