Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 09:29:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 961248 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2345 on: July 09, 2015, 08:37:10 AM

Not quite, because "Limited Quantities Still Available" moves things faster. The hard part is laying the groundwork to justify why you have limited amounts of a digital good. They've done that whole hog.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2346 on: July 09, 2015, 09:19:31 AM

Pure evil greed. Gordon Gecko would blush.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2347 on: July 09, 2015, 11:33:58 AM

It's like they studied every single predatory psychological angle they could in order to extract cash from people.

Gotta spend money to make money!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2348 on: July 09, 2015, 11:55:00 AM

To be fair, idiots were asking them for these things, and when they priced them as ridiculously expensive as expected, people still bought them.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2349 on: July 09, 2015, 11:56:57 AM

Yeah, seems like a typical move from his bag of tricks.
I read that as 'bag of dicks' and I'm still chuckling to myself.

Watching the No Man's Sky footage makes me want that game to be good just to shove it to Dmart and RSI.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2350 on: July 09, 2015, 12:01:29 PM

To be fair, idiots were asking them for these things, and when they priced them as ridiculously expensive as expected, people still bought them.

"What do you mean they bought them at $18k? FUCK, we priced it too low!!!!"

PT Barnum would be proud.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2351 on: July 09, 2015, 01:53:26 PM

Yeah, it's the "vaporware" part of that I am boggling on. That people spend stupid amounts of money on virtual game goods is well established. Although I shake my head that people spend hundreds of dollars on "gold" mechs in MWO, it doesn't surprise me. But this is like tulipmania levels of crazy-stupid money throwing. It would be healthier to dump it on hookers and blow, at least you'd have some great stories to tell in the homeless shelter.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2352 on: July 09, 2015, 02:15:18 PM

I'm sure these stories will also be fantastic.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2353 on: July 09, 2015, 03:27:42 PM

Yes, but to a much smaller crowd at the shelter.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2354 on: July 09, 2015, 03:56:59 PM

I think you meant asylum...

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #2355 on: July 09, 2015, 06:04:24 PM

Yeah, it's the "vaporware" part of that I am boggling on. That people spend stupid amounts of money on virtual game goods is well established. Although I shake my head that people spend hundreds of dollars on "gold" mechs in MWO, it doesn't surprise me. But this is like tulipmania levels of crazy-stupid money throwing. It would be healthier to dump it on hookers and blow, at least you'd have some great stories to tell in the homeless shelter.

--Dave

Yeah, stupid people by stupid expensive massively overpriced luxury shit all the time. We've all seen $21,000 speaker cables, and Apple Watches.

but you get something for your stupid money, be it a soon to be obsolete gadget in gold case or about a meter of umm... silver.  Star Citizen is the first to successfully sell luxury virtual vapor. No, let me rephrase that. Star Citizen looks to be the first legitimate operation to sell luxury virtual vapor,  all the other cases I can think of are frauds.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2356 on: July 09, 2015, 07:13:21 PM

I think you meant asylum...

No, it's the US. We don't lock our insane into crowded, inhumane cells. We raise them free-range, thanks to St. Ronnie!  awesome, for real

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2357 on: July 09, 2015, 08:08:16 PM

See this shocking company that took vaping TOO FAR!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2358 on: July 10, 2015, 01:26:00 AM

--Dave

Yeah, stupid people by stupid expensive massively overpriced luxury shit all the time. We've all seen $21,000 speaker cables, and Apple Watches.

but you get something for your stupid money, be it a soon to be obsolete gadget in gold case or about a meter of umm... silver.  Star Citizen is the first to successfully sell luxury virtual vapor. No, let me rephrase that. Star Citizen looks to be the first legitimate operation to sell luxury virtual vapor,  all the other cases I can think of are frauds.

Not the first. Also Second Life.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2359 on: July 11, 2015, 12:35:38 PM

lol, Smart showed up in the Star Citizen thread on SA for like 5 seconds.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2360 on: July 11, 2015, 12:43:39 PM

lol, Smart showed up in the Star Citizen thread on SA for like 5 seconds.

I like that someone paid for him to get a custom avatar and title pretty much immediately.

The 'click here to see my impotent legal threats' link goes here btw.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2361 on: July 11, 2015, 01:02:54 PM

"Then Google Alerts happened, and changed everything. I set it up to scan for my name, my products etc. And each day when I get a report, I’d filter the less interesting ones, pick the good (usually in forums where I visited - and not yet banned) ones, head over there, pour virtual gasoline everywhere, torch the place with confounding rhetoric - then leave. It was like a virtual drive-by flaming. And usually, I never even go back to the topic."

Source: Serek Dmart, on his blog yesterday.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2362 on: July 11, 2015, 04:19:12 PM

The 'click here to see my impotent legal threats' link goes here btw.

Sweet merciful Christ that man is a looney tune.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2363 on: July 11, 2015, 04:41:08 PM

I haven't given a red cent to this game and I'm being entertained.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
schild
Administrator

Reply #2364 on: July 11, 2015, 08:06:57 PM

His net worth exceeds everything Star Citizen has made guys. Guys? Guys? Is anyone even listening?

Shame money can't buy him some class.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2365 on: July 11, 2015, 08:08:39 PM

As a human being, he's always been a source of amusement for me because we actually stand on the same side of the fence for a lot of these things, except he is what I would be if I were full-blown retarded pants on head stupid.

He's like the opposite end of the spectrum from Molyneux or Koster.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2366 on: July 12, 2015, 04:43:09 AM

New weekly update about the FPS module (includes a brief video showing VFX and a poll):

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14829-Star-Marine-Status-Update

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2367 on: July 12, 2015, 04:56:05 AM

So...fps where the guns aren't done yet? Yeah, it's never coming out either.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2368 on: July 12, 2015, 08:35:08 AM

I like how the most pressing issue on the table is what the gun sights should look like.

When are they adding the Deck Chair Rearrangement Module?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2369 on: July 12, 2015, 08:57:24 AM

We are sorry to announce another delay as we needed to improve the aglets on the boots of some of the Star Marines. We didn't feel the aglets were properly modeled and will need at least another six months of playtesting in all stages of Star Marine animation.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2370 on: July 12, 2015, 09:59:55 AM

Wait, so they are agonizing over gun sights and have blockers around things like recoil tweaking taking too much art time, yet they went ahead nad implemented environment destruction.

Good to see they have their priorities straight.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2371 on: July 12, 2015, 10:38:25 AM

Attention: Star Marine has been delayed even more indefinitely because we have come to the conclusion that the boot laces need improving and don't accurately reflect our vision for the game.  Further testing of said bootlaces should take 9-12 months.  Thank you for your patience.  In the meantime, please buy this internet spaceship for $36k.  Why is it $36k?  Well, because we were shocked people bought them at $18k so we figured we might have priced them too low and are confident some suckers, errr, backers will buy it for double the price of the last "deal".  Hurry now!  Limit time offer!  Limited supply, too, because there's only so many 1s and 0s we have left in stock.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2372 on: July 12, 2015, 10:43:09 AM

Attention: Star Marine has been delayed even more indefinitely because we have come to the conclusion that the boot laces need improving and don't accurately reflect our vision for the game.  Further testing of said bootlaces should take 9-12 months.  Thank you for your patience.  In the meantime, please buy this internet spaceship for $36k.  Why is it $36k?  Well, because we were shocked people bought them at $18k so we figured we might have priced them too low and are confident some suckers, errr, backers will buy it for double the price of the last "deal".  Hurry now!  Limit time offer!  Limited supply, too, because there's only so many 1s and 0s we have left in stock.

You forgot that they needed to create a poll to see what the community thought of the boot laces before proceeding  Ohhhhh, I see.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #2373 on: July 12, 2015, 11:18:10 AM

Wait, so they are agonizing over gun sights and have blockers around things like recoil tweaking taking too much art time, yet they went ahead nad implemented environment destruction.

Good to see they have their priorities straight.
This sounds a bit like when people complain about an MMO developer fixing clipping issues with armors while there are still PvP bugs in code, tbh. Work done on one of these does not block work on the other. :P

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2374 on: July 12, 2015, 12:49:35 PM

You want reason in this thread?  It's all doom, hyperbole, and laughs.

At this point all you can do is wait and watch while trying not to step in front of the hate train.  (Monorail-red panda coming through!  Watch for headbutts.  choo choo!)

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2375 on: July 12, 2015, 01:23:51 PM

We are the Merkel to Star Citizen's Greece.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2376 on: July 12, 2015, 03:15:01 PM

You want reason in this thread?  It's all doom, hyperbole, and laughs.

At this point all you can do is wait and watch while trying not to step in front of the hate train.  (Monorail-red panda coming through!  Watch for headbutts.  choo choo!)

I...

I just can't see defending anything that is selling $18,000 virtual spaceships especially if the game in question isn't live already and has at least some prospect of never being live.

There's a reason Serek Dmart weighed into all this--Star Citizen is making almost the same promises he made for his Battlecruiser dingus, only that really was just him and some guys, with nowhere near the resources. We all thought it was funny then because of the hubris and self-deception involved, but at least he wasn't combining his folly with ruining people's lives.

It might be that this will eventually be a real thing, and that it will even be fun. It will never, can never, live up to the promises being made for the money being taken. Cheering for Star Citizen is like cheering for someone who cheats an old widow out of her savings by promising to take her to see Paris.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2377 on: July 12, 2015, 06:56:26 PM

There's a reason Serek Dmart weighed into all this--Star Citizen is making almost the same promises he made for his Battlecruiser dingus, only that really was just him and some guys, with nowhere near the resources. We all thought it was funny then because of the hubris and self-deception involved, but at least he wasn't combining his folly with ruining people's lives.

Will no one think of those poor poor soda machines?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2378 on: July 12, 2015, 09:59:06 PM

I'm not cheering it on.  I mean, I do want it to produce a good game because I like playing good games, but I have no illusions about the risks and some of the bizarre stuff that's come out of all this.

There's just so much cluess fanboi versus gloomy cynic that it's hard to take anyone seriously.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2379 on: July 13, 2015, 02:17:27 AM

But it's OK. Those are all grown ups and if they are too stupid or have mental issues then fuck them. Right?
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: