Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:37:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 942688 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #1085 on: April 09, 2014, 03:39:52 PM

They've probably blown through most of the money already, with all the new premises and gigantic number of employees. Gotta get some more!

You called?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1086 on: April 10, 2014, 06:11:17 PM

livestream starting in about 20-30 minutes:

http://twitch.tv/roberts_space_ind_ch_1

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1087 on: April 10, 2014, 07:51:22 PM

Chris Roberts appears hopelessly confused by his own game. He didn't even know how to launch it and once he got into it just spun around in a circle for 30 seconds then accidentally turned his HUD off or something...now he is restarting the game and once again can't figure out how to launch it. I kind of feel sorry for him, he's like a befuddled grandpappy.

I get the impression that he probably swings by the office to check the game out like once a week for an hour. I guess he's a hand off "vision guy" or some shit.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1088 on: April 10, 2014, 07:52:36 PM

I bet he knows how to log in to his offshore banking account.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1089 on: April 10, 2014, 07:58:40 PM

A ha ha they just fucking cancelled the show without really showing the multiplayer because they couldn't get it working.

This is hilarious. The guy is clueless about his own game.

"How do I start it? What do I press? Is it even on this machine? What's happening now? Are we in the game? Are we in matchmaking? Are we waiting for players? Why can't I move? What's going on?"

Completely embarrassing. It's one thing to have technical issues at a live event but the guy has no grasp on how his game works.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1090 on: April 10, 2014, 08:31:28 PM

More please.

Dogpatch090:  What are people complaining about? Its in pre alpha
My_ass_is_manly:  this is the fundamental problem of player backed games, no one realises that we're just alpha testers, we're supposed to take the brunt of the bugs and glitche
Barf_bag: He is the concept, programmers are the ones building it
Gofr5:  I just loved how so many ppl were like "get this guy off, he sucks, show someone else". lol so many ppl didn't who he was.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:06:02 PM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1091 on: April 11, 2014, 03:32:49 AM

Why would he give a fuck about the game, he's already got the money.

fake edit: I feel this is kinda significant, this was supposed to be his labor of love and yet he couldn't be arsed to prepare for a public showing. Freudian slip if you will.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:40:01 AM by jakonovski »
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1092 on: April 11, 2014, 04:00:28 AM

I think this livestream once again showed that they simply suck at organizing this sort of thing exclusively in-house, so they better drop it and just pre-record stuff in their studio(s); regarding the bits of the dogfighting module they showed, at least the Player vs. AI part, IMO it was very good for an alpha: really liked the physics, graphics and HUD (hopefully we'll be able to minimize/collapse the majority of its elements). 

Roberts said they plan to release v1 at the end of April/beginning of May, so hopefully it will be in a much better shape after 3+ weeks of bug fixing.

"Ever the optimist"  why so serious?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
WayAbvPar

Reply #1093 on: April 11, 2014, 10:26:20 AM

Love that this thread and the Elite:Dangerous thread are so close to each other in this forum atm  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1094 on: April 11, 2014, 02:25:09 PM

I think this livestream once again showed that they simply suck at organizing this sort of thing exclusively in-house, so they better drop it and just pre-record stuff in their studio(s); regarding the bits of the dogfighting module they showed, at least the Player vs. AI part, IMO it was very good for an alpha: really liked the physics, graphics and HUD (hopefully we'll be able to minimize/collapse the majority of its elements). 

The HUD was way too busy and the 3d zooming pieces effect when you lock on was incredibly distracting.

The graphics were good.

The physics...like crashing into an asteroid at full speed then awkwardly rubbing against it?

My takeaway was that they have a good art team and that's pretty much it. The definitely haven't solved the problem space combat games tend to have where it feels like you're a motionless turret. The game as a whole also doesn't appear very functional in terms of combat either - for the brief moment that multiplayer worked Roberts had no idea where the enemies were or who was shooting him - whatever radar system they had appeared to be fairly useless.

It looked like a pretty mess to me basically. And a lot of the pretty comes from the fact that the dogfights take place in arted-up arenas, I have no idea how that will translate to all of space.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1095 on: April 12, 2014, 12:58:35 AM

My takeaway was that they have a good art team and that's pretty much it.

You can sell a lot of things with pretty pictures alone.

I think I've said it before here, but I'm sure SC will launch something (eventually), but the waves of disappointment from pre-payers will be immense.

I'm also very, very disappointed that pay-for-alpha has become an accepted thing.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1096 on: April 30, 2014, 07:21:11 AM

Pay for access has always been a thing. You don't have to pay for it. You just have to wait like you normally would for a game. Stop whining about it.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1097 on: April 30, 2014, 07:23:45 AM

Pay for access has always been a thing.
Head scratch
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #1098 on: April 30, 2014, 11:07:43 AM

Pay for access has always been a thing.
Head scratch

If you knew the right people maybe? I know there were times in the past I would have paid for early access but it wasn't available, to me anyway.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1099 on: April 30, 2014, 01:23:07 PM

It's just a generalization. If you want something early, you could always get it if you paid the right price.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1100 on: April 30, 2014, 01:24:06 PM

THE IRON PRICE

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1101 on: April 30, 2014, 01:45:52 PM

THE IRON PRICE

You're having an odd day.  why so serious?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1102 on: April 30, 2014, 02:26:43 PM

Seems pretty normal to me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1103 on: April 30, 2014, 02:50:23 PM

Probably so, maybe I'm having an odd day.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1104 on: May 10, 2014, 03:16:09 AM

Dogfighting module delayed again?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13863-Arena-Commander-Weekly-Report-May-5-9

I know you’re all impatient to get your hands on the DFM, and believe me we’re all very eager to have it in the state that we can start to roll out it to all of you but as in any ambitious undertaking there’s still some details that we’re busy wrapping up in terms of the backend end, build deployment, matchmaking and network stability over the internet – All the while trying to balance and tune the core gameplay of the DFM.

We’ll have more exact dates to share by the end of next week, which we’ll update you with in next week’s report, but the goal is to start rolling out the DFM towards the end of this month – this will be staged as scaling to 250,000+ players is much more like launching a finished game as opposed to an early pre-alpha for gameplay feedback – our plan is to have Vanduul Swarm (single player against AI) available to everyone from the start, and then give people access to the multiplayer servers in increasing numbers as long as the system holds up. (To answer your next question, the rollout will be based on Citizen number; the earlier you backed, the earlier you will gain access to multiplayer dogfighting.)

We don’t know the maximum number of concurrent players or some of the backend server issues (as we’ll literally be dynamically spinning up hundreds of servers on demand depending on demand) we’re planning to go slow and cautious at first, while we make sure everything works. So please be patient and bear with us. Remember that with Arena Commander we are launching something much more akin to a full game (its feature set is more in line to an action arena combat game like World of Tanks) and to do that for the sheer number of backers that Star Citizen has is a challenge in itself!

— Chris Roberts
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1105 on: May 12, 2014, 11:09:05 AM

1. We are working out the following details: "the entire game"
2. We don't know anything about the server tech we chose, except that it is expensive.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1106 on: May 12, 2014, 11:35:20 AM

I wonder what legal recourse people will have if they cracked the books on this project.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1107 on: May 12, 2014, 01:10:33 PM

Dogfighting module delayed again?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13863-Arena-Commander-Weekly-Report-May-5-9

I know you’re all impatient to get your hands on the DFM, and believe me we’re all very eager to have it in the state that we can start to roll out it to all of you but as in any ambitious undertaking there’s still some details that we’re busy wrapping up in terms of the backend end, build deployment, matchmaking and network stability over the internet – All the while trying to balance and tune the core gameplay of the DFM.

We’ll have more exact dates to share by the end of next week, which we’ll update you with in next week’s report, but the goal is to start rolling out the DFM towards the end of this month – this will be staged as scaling to 250,000+ players is much more like launching a finished game as opposed to an early pre-alpha for gameplay feedback – our plan is to have Vanduul Swarm (single player against AI) available to everyone from the start, and then give people access to the multiplayer servers in increasing numbers as long as the system holds up. (To answer your next question, the rollout will be based on Citizen number; the earlier you backed, the earlier you will gain access to multiplayer dogfighting.)

We don’t know the maximum number of concurrent players or some of the backend server issues (as we’ll literally be dynamically spinning up hundreds of servers on demand depending on demand) we’re planning to go slow and cautious at first, while we make sure everything works. So please be patient and bear with us. Remember that with Arena Commander we are launching something much more akin to a full game (its feature set is more in line to an action arena combat game like World of Tanks) and to do that for the sheer number of backers that Star Citizen has is a challenge in itself!

— Chris Roberts

Someone email him a copy of the Elite: Dangerous alpha please.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1108 on: May 12, 2014, 01:26:29 PM

What's surprised me most about this process is how at the beginning - as I think I phrased it in this thread - Roberts had a plan and Braben only had an idea.

Yet since then, Braben has proved far better about sticking to his plan and executing on it. Quietly, competently, and without any upsell.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
WayAbvPar

Reply #1109 on: May 12, 2014, 01:38:04 PM

How much is Roberts McQuaiding for himself?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1110 on: May 12, 2014, 01:43:39 PM

The funny thing is that Braben could totally make more money at this point if he decided to go the Roberts way. While I am not happy with the "200£ for Alpha" package, you gotta give him credit that he's obviously using the money barrier as a way to protect the environment, instead of allowing entitled morons to poison it one "20£ package" purchase at a time.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1111 on: May 12, 2014, 01:47:29 PM

The funny thing is that Braben could totally make more money at this point if he decided to go the Roberts way. While I am not happy with the "200£ for Alpha" package, you gotta give him credit that he's obviously using the money barrier as a way to protect the environment, instead of allowing entitled morons to poison it one "20£ package" purchase at a time.

It just shows the value of projects that pick a thing and do that thing well.  The be all end all game development model just didn't pan out.  There were a lot of times I got sucked into "the last game I'll ever need!" mentality over the years.  Now I just want something that does it's one thing really well.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1112 on: May 13, 2014, 10:12:02 AM

In other news, Chris Roberts hired Alex Mayberry (WoW: TBC, WOTLK, Diablo 3) to act as Executive Producer.

http://cloudimperiumgames.com/news/94-PRESS-RELEASE-Alex-Mayberry-Named-EP-On-Star-Citizen
----

Yeah, the amount of stuff they have on the plate is ginormous and they're having lots of difficulties to put this giant on its feet. We'll see how they manage the rollout of the first version of Arena Commander: so far, basically all their efforts have gone toward that, with less and less amount of time devoted to the development of the Persistent Universe (and inherent elements....Looking at the recently updated "Ship specs" page, they're developing more than 40 ships, counting the variants).

Supposedly, alongside the rollout of other versions of Arena Commander (with multi-crew ships), at Gamescom in August they'll unveil the First-Person shooter portion of the game, entirely developed by another company, Illfonic; from the scarce amount of info about it, it sounds quite strategic, much more akin to Mass Effect 1.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1113 on: May 13, 2014, 10:48:32 AM

If there's one thing a Blizzard exec knows it's how to speed up development and start cranking out concrete results on an aggresive timeline instead of letting things dither for years on end.  swamp poop
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1114 on: May 13, 2014, 10:50:47 AM

This game needs more staff.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1115 on: May 13, 2014, 12:42:29 PM

I'm going to start calling this game Frankenspace: Subtitle To Be Released Soon By Another Producer.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1116 on: May 14, 2014, 04:19:39 PM

If EA Buys this, the butthurd'd be glorious.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1117 on: May 14, 2014, 05:50:43 PM

Facebook! They seem to be searching for a new revenue streams anyway!  why so serious?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1118 on: May 15, 2014, 10:35:55 AM

You spelt "Activision" wrong.  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1119 on: May 15, 2014, 12:41:56 PM

Would they buy the whole thing, or just a selection of modules?

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: