Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 11:31:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 941715 times)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #945 on: November 28, 2013, 05:33:52 PM

Oh shit.  Okay, well, you can make fun of this.  Let it never be said that I wasn't generous in hate opportunities.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #946 on: November 28, 2013, 08:04:16 PM

Strong "chainmail-bikini-armor fashion school" influence here. Also the one-leg-in-front-of-the-other pose. Isn't it possible to stand normal, once? *twitch*

If I go into serious business space combat I want to look menacing, not radiate an aura o f "Oh hi Mr. space pirate, come and sweep me of my feet!"

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #947 on: November 28, 2013, 08:17:15 PM

I didn't get the 'chainmail bikini' vibe taking a look. A bodyglove/ wetsuit makes some sense for a pressure/ environment suit of the future.  After all, she's not a space marine, she's a pilot, right?  So it's going to be snug on men and women (make fun of guys for having no package.)  It's not blatantly sexy and has a utilitarian look to it. Nothing's exposed, no 'boob window' or gratuitous g-string design.

It goes all off the rails at the breasts, though.  To do that there'd need to be  some sort of ribbing/ wire holding them out from the body for anything to conform like that. At that point I agree, it's silly.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: November 28, 2013, 08:37:45 PM

It goes all off the rails at the breasts, though.  To do that there'd need to be  some sort of ribbing/ wire holding them out from the body for anything to conform like that. At that point I agree, it's silly.

That's what I was refering too.  smiley

At the back view there is (combined with the pose) the padding to create 'focus on my bum!' effect. No, it's not that blatant, but if you'd put a female character in the male suit id be completely gone. So it's very much deliberate.

schild
Administrator

Reply #949 on: November 28, 2013, 10:00:08 PM

Oh shit.  Okay, well, you can make fun of this.  Let it never be said that I wasn't generous in hate opportunities.

But this extra visibility has also brought the inevitable doubters or people that just hate to see something out of the ordinary succeed. “It’s a scam!” “It can’t live up the hype!” “I’ll laugh when it fails and everyone is disappointed!”

With the headlines will come inevitable haters. They can’t comprehend why a game like Star Citizen could capture the imagination, why so many people would enthusiastically support something long before it’s a sure thing. Sometimes I wonder this myself.

But when I think about it, one answer comes to me.

We’re all following a dream with Star Citizen.

Yes, yes we can.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #950 on: November 29, 2013, 01:22:57 AM

confirmed: Chris Roberts reads F13  why so serious? But no, for reasons beyond my intellectual grasp, there are other places that still don't adhere to the CoR (Church of Roberts); oh well, just a matter of time.
---

Ahem, anyway: regarding the explorer WIP, yeah,  The breast area suffers from the "chainmail bikini" syndrome. I remember that something similar happened during the Project Eternity KS campaign: they first showed this...

...which became this, after some discussions on the forums:

So far, here and there we've seen concept art of Marines, bounty hunters, explorers, privateers; SC will feature a classless system, but maybe, given our reputation, missions achieved, NPC factionsetc., we'll obtain a certain "title", I don't know.

The message posted above by Miasma shows a (concept art) landing zone, called "Platinum Bay":

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #951 on: November 29, 2013, 09:57:48 AM

confirmed: Chris Roberts reads F13  why so serious? But no, for reasons beyond my intellectual grasp, there are other places that still don't adhere to the CoR (Church of Roberts); oh well, just a matter of time.
---

Ahem, anyway: regarding the explorer WIP, yeah,  The breast area suffers from the "chainmail bikini" syndrome. I remember that something similar happened during the Project Eternity KS campaign: they first showed this...

...which became this, after some discussions on the forums:

So far, here and there we've seen concept art of Marines, bounty hunters, explorers, privateers; SC will feature a classless system, but maybe, given our reputation, missions achieved, NPC factionsetc., we'll obtain a certain "title", I don't know.

The message posted above by Miasma shows a (concept art) landing zone, called "Platinum Bay":

You know, this game would get shit on a lot less if they had more than just concept art to show for the $30+ million they've received.  That being said, some people need to calm their tits wrt their criticism.  It's way more annoying than reading about some new ship in the cash shop or the next stretch goal posted by fanboys.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 07:58:52 PM by Ginaz »
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #952 on: November 29, 2013, 03:43:03 PM

You know, this game would get shit on a lot less if they had more than just concept art to show for the $30+ million they've received.

Well, the fact that they had the hangar module out as early as they did and allowed people to noodle around inside and around the present models of their ships wasn't too bad at all.

Oh! And it's about that time, again, I guess. Discussions about armored boobs, in armor. Dunnit matter that in any real world parallel, there's fuck all for boobs in combat armor for women; you have to balance out the opportunity for men and women alike okay mostly men get to have 'curves' on their space avatars. Or just dress lewdly.
schild
Administrator

Reply #953 on: November 29, 2013, 05:54:06 PM

Oh yes, the ol' subtle white knighting of women not showing curves and cleavage in armor because in real life they wouldn't.

Yea, that discussion is stupid.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #954 on: November 29, 2013, 06:12:50 PM

I might orgasm when this game goes live and black out from the overwhelming sense of schadenfreude.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: November 30, 2013, 06:45:51 PM

Actually, what irks me with those WIP pics is that the male armour has giant "fuck-off" plates covering his vitals, whereas the female armour has these little padded contours, presumably so that it can look sexy instead of functional.

The "we're all just following the dream" thing is kind of scary, since that's the kind of factless drivel Amway use.

I do hope the game releases and is awesome, though - should it do so, I'll be there with my money.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #956 on: November 30, 2013, 07:09:13 PM

I might orgasm when this game goes live and black out from the overwhelming sense of schadenfreude.

When you wake up, Radicalthon.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: December 01, 2013, 09:12:11 PM

Can't argue with that. For a game whose first pre-kickstarter trailer proudly heralded SC as the return of the space-sim, there's been an awful lot of (admittedly very pretty) footage the inside of the ships with well animated characters getting in and out of a bunk - but not so much of the actual flying through space shooting things part. But hey, at least you can land on Coruscant right?

There was somewhere. though I was not particularly impressed - maybe too old for space sims now.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #958 on: December 01, 2013, 09:16:46 PM

When you wake up, Radicalthon.

That's the 47M stretch goal.  why so serious?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #959 on: December 02, 2013, 05:08:48 AM

The latest "Jumpoint Magazine" is available for subscribers (and, of course, non-subscribers via "alternative" methods :P). What follows will be probably posted soon enough as an official post on the website, but anyways, here's their current idea of a piracy career in Star Citizen:
------------------------

JP: What makes a player character a pirate, and how visible is it? Will I have a little “Pirate” label hovering over my cockpit as I fly around?

RR: Piracy is a choice, rather than a player “class.” You don’t have to look a certain way, and we’re not going to stick little pirate flags on all of the pirate characters in the game. Scanning and recognizing a pirate is more about seeing a list of crimes committed than having to join a specific pirate club.

JP: How can I get rid of the tag (and any bounties on my character) ?

RR: Stop committing crimes and become a productive member of society. (By this, I mean doing things that the UEE likes/needs.) And pay off any outstanding bounties.

JP: What’s the benefit to piracy?

RR: The most obvious benefit is that you can take what you need without having to buy it! It’s also a good lifestyle to choose if you’re not too keen on being a part of the UEE.

JP: Does that mean piracy will be a viable career, or is it something limiting?

RR: There are obviously risks to being a pirate, particularly a well-known one. But it is absolutely a viable career. You’ll just need to choose your shopping locations carefully.

JP: Will a relatively unknown pirate be in more danger from player characters or from the NPC law-enforcement organizations? How about a pirate with high recognition?

RR: I wouldn’t think of it as NPC or PC, since that can vary based on your preferences. You’ll always be in danger from both. If you don’t have a significantly bad reputation or lengthy list of crimes, you probably won’t get much trouble from the Advocacy directly (but we may have player missions from the Advocacy, as well). Well-known pirates with very bad reputations and extensive rap sheets are a different story, as the Advocacy and Bounty Hunters’ Guild will actively seek them out.

JP: What sources do you draw from for creating Star Citizen’s pirate experience?

RR: There have been a number of great pirate games over the years, and we draw inspiration from many of them. Of course, previous Wing Commander and Star/Freelancer provides significant influence as to how these groups operate. Some other favorites are Sid Meier’s Pirates! and the Merchants and Marauders board game, but inspiration comes from other game types, as well.

JP: Will pirates have access to anything unique? Will they be denied anything?

RR: It’s more based on your reputation than your career choice, but those who have a good reputation with certain pirate groups might have access to some special equipment that the do-gooders can’t have. On the other hand, they will have a much harder time getting their hands on military spec equipment, however, and there will be trouble if the Advocacy catches you with illegal hardware!

JP: Are all pirates equal, or is there a more detailed reputation system?

RR: The reputation system is quite detailed, and does distinguish between different groups. It doesn’t just impact your relationship with pirate groups, however. And some pirate packs might even be sworn enemies of other packs, so a positive rep with one pirate group might mean a negative rep with another group.

JP: How will pirate organizations work? Is there honor among thieves, or is it every man for themselves?

RR: That can vary widely, just like player groups will. Some packs will be very cutthroat, and you’ll have to watch your back constantly. Others will be more organized and operate as a team. Just depends on how you want to play.

JP: Is Cutlass or Caterpillar ownership a black mark, or will they be common in civilian (non-pirate) hands?

RR: The Advocacy will not automatically assume that you’re a pirate simply because you have a Drake ship. That being said, if there is a lot of pirate activity in a particular area, you might be more likely to be scanned and identified by an Advocacy ship if you’re in a ship that is typically associated with that sort of activity. Of course, if you’re not up to anything nefarious, scanning won’t be a problem, regardless of what type of ship you’re flying.

JP: Is it an “asteroid” hangar or a “pirate” hangar? Is there a difference?

RR: Asteroid hangar! Not all asteroid hangar occupants will be pirates, nor will all pirates necessarily hang out in asteroid hangars. It’s the occupant that makes a pirate hangar.

JP: So how is an asteroid hangar different from any other hangar?

RR: It’s in an asteroid!

JP: What’s up with the Drake corporation? How does it continue to exist in legal areas of space?

RR: As they will be quick to inform you, Drake does not manufacture pirate vessels. Although their ships are possibly more attractive to those who dwell outside the law, they are intended for non-criminal activity. (At least according to the company’s PR team ….) Some might even say that their ships must be better if pirates prefer them in dangerous conditions.

JP: But declared pirates will get discounts on Drake equipment,
won’t they?

RR: Er … I guess we might have said that somewhere at some point. Or are you just making it up? I guess it depends upon where you buy that equipment.

JP: How will anti-piracy work? Will there be UEE patrols? How can “good” players get involved?

RR: There are several different groups that tend to hunt down pirates. The military does not generally get involved unless there is a major outbreak of pirate activity that seriously threatens the livelihood of a UEE world. The Advocacy and local police groups are more likely to get involved when pirate activity is reported. Bounty hunters also like to hunt down specific individuals from the pirate world. And any of these might contract out a hunt to eager player characters.So it’s not necessarily an easy life …

JP: Meanwhile, we’ve got pirate havens like Spider. Surely the UEE knows about them. Why not go in and clean them up?

RR: The more cynical among the UEE leadership might say that a little piracy is good for the economy. Keeps insurance companies afloat, provides jobs for countless citizens, and creates competition for groups that get too big. And a little piracy is an acceptable level, as far as they’re concerned. Places like Spider do contribute to the economy and would be far too costly to clean up entirely. As long as the pirates don’t get too out of hand, the UEE will generally let them keep to their
own territory. Other races might not be so cooperative, however.

JP: What about player raids on Spider? Will they be sanctioned by the Advocacy, or does attacking any other player (including a pirate) make you a pirate also?

RR: While you do not take an instant reputation hit for attacking a known pirate, you had better be certain that your target actually is a pirate before attacking. We can’t assume that everyone who visits Spider is a pirate. And undertaking freelance missions against pirates still requires clearance from the Advocacy or Bounty Hunters’ Guild.

JP: And, finally, of course ... Who are you that flies so good? Are you insane?

RR: Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:10:46 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #960 on: December 02, 2013, 05:38:02 AM

forget it
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:40:07 AM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: December 02, 2013, 05:39:19 AM

The latest "Jumpoint Magazine" is available for subscribers (and, of course, non-subscribers via "alternative" methods :P). What follows will be probably posted soon enough as an official post on the website, but anyways, here's their current idea of a piracy career in Star Citizen:

JumpPoint 1.12 Drawing The Cutlass (Google Drive - 31.5 MB, PDF)

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #962 on: December 02, 2013, 05:41:04 AM

forget it

I saw it and agree  (your point and the thought of 'not worth it') smiley

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #963 on: December 02, 2013, 06:21:17 AM

JP: What sources do you draw from for creating Star Citizen’s pirate experience?

... Sid Meier’s Pirates! ...

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

This is why I want this game to be exactly what it promises to be, so bad. And this is also why I can't believe it, and won't forgive Roberts if he won't deliver.

Let's face it, you can choose to love or hate this "Promise of a game" but there's no doubt it would be the best thing ever if it happened to be real. The problem is: if the phone rings and a voice says you just won a million dollar, do you believe them? Of course you want it to be true, and you would be the happiest if it happened to be true, but it is gonna take a while for the voice on the phone to convince you it really is true. AND, you are gonna need proof.

This is all what it boils down to: no one here thinks it's a scam. No one here wants it to be a scam, or an overpromising huge flop. What we want is for it to be exactly what it promises, but disappointment doesn't come cheap. Not for me at least, not anymore. So it is only natural to yell in rage at someone for offering you the promise of a perfect game. After all, when's the last time such promises happened to be fulfilled?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:43:02 AM by Falconeer »

schild
Administrator

Reply #964 on: December 02, 2013, 08:40:31 AM

I actually want it to be a scam.

The gaming world needs a giant cockup in this sort of faux-Kickstarter-esque style. Desperately.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #965 on: December 02, 2013, 08:41:47 AM

I think it's a scam. It's a scam with a bunch of people who COULD actually create a game, but I don't think they intend to create anything remotely like what they are promising, if they even launch at all.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: December 02, 2013, 08:43:54 AM

Meh, I think they fully intend to try and create what they are talking about.  I'm less inclined to believe they will execute their grand vision correctly.  But hey, if they do manage to create something full of awesomeness I'll be there with my money, but not until then.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #967 on: December 02, 2013, 08:52:40 AM

My apb/hellgate sense is tingling.

WayAbvPar

Reply #968 on: December 02, 2013, 09:32:04 AM

Exactly.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #969 on: December 02, 2013, 09:35:54 AM

Interestingly, APB was to MrBloodworth's reputation what Vanguard was to mine.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #970 on: December 02, 2013, 11:04:54 AM

Fuck me, I loved Hellgate. Despite everything.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: December 02, 2013, 11:49:49 AM

Yea, the games were fun. Just the studios went bankrupt making them.

*Buy more ships!*

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #972 on: December 02, 2013, 01:04:37 PM

This is like reading fan fiction for a game that doesn't exist.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: December 02, 2013, 03:23:00 PM

This is like reading fan dev fiction for a game that doesn't exist.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: December 02, 2013, 09:23:14 PM

All the great features for this are starting to sound like Vanguard to me but then again if this had been marketed as the "new Space Rogue" instead of the new Chris Roberts game I'd have spent alot of money just based on a faint hope of a good game. Now I'm satisfied to just wait for the actual release of the game before spending any money (while hoping it will turn out to be almost as good as every fan thinks it will).
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #975 on: December 03, 2013, 12:15:23 AM

As much as I loved Wing Commander and as stated multiple times I am secretly dreaming for this to deliver at least half of what is promised, I hear you Satael. To me when it comes to space, nothing topped the emotional investment I had for Elite (and Frontier) first and and Space Rogue a few years later.

But yes, as soon as I typed Vanguard a few posts up, I realized that at this point it is not a bad analogy at all.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #976 on: December 03, 2013, 04:39:28 AM

I was thinking more like Spore.  Remember all those promises and the combinations of gameplay and game styles THAT was supposed to be?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #977 on: December 03, 2013, 08:25:30 AM

As I predicted, the forums are beginning to .. I don't know, is there a word for it? Metastasize? Become a writhing mass of hydatid cysts?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #978 on: December 04, 2013, 12:03:57 AM

Will it be possible to launch infants or other characters from torpedo tubes?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: December 04, 2013, 04:07:03 AM

I was a bit surprised that there is  "mods" subforum. It is full of people posting pictures of spaceships they have drawn or even rendered themselves.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: