Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:18:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 938313 times)
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: November 05, 2013, 07:15:57 AM

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #596 on: November 05, 2013, 08:10:26 AM

There's just something a little bit magical about this. Not like, good magical. Like when you did a sort of a daemonic summoning and didn't think out the radius of your warding circle quite right.

A lot of these people who are going nuts and are sinking multiple hundreds of dollars into the game are impressing me with their ability to theorycraft miles of text and gooniness over the sparsest possible details of a game that is not out yet. I'm sure that roberts is legitimately glad that he's getting all this money and the studio has totally gone down the right path by successfully monetizing the promise of future fantasy starship, but reading the forums might already just scare them a little bit.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: November 05, 2013, 10:53:22 AM

There's just something a little bit magical about this. Not like, good magical. Like when you did a sort of a daemonic summoning and didn't think out the radius of your warding circle quite right.

Totes, the last time I tried summoning it resulted in D3 greater daemons and 4D6 lesser daemons wreaking havoc all over the place.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:55:07 AM by jakonovski »
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #598 on: November 05, 2013, 11:12:41 AM

Like really I have already seen multiple instances where people who have made multi hundred dollar spaceship purchases are already FREAKING OUT about their investment by joining into colon-cleansingly pervasive theorycrafting vortex holes that indicates a.. I don't even know how to describe it, I'll call it, conceptually, a "possible potential implemented future-retroactive nerf" of their ship that hasn't been made yet for a game that hasn't been made yet that neither they nor anyone else has really flown yet.

As a specific example someone will do a 'visual analysis' of the size of ship engines in some promo pictures and do some sort of vague measurement and say it indicates that the ship must have had its engine specs toned down. And lo shall come a cry of consternation and concern.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: November 05, 2013, 12:47:53 PM

I looked at the Hornet in the store and came away confused. There's a "Ghost" and a "Specter" variant, which both appear the same and have the same description, but one costs $15 more. Likewise there's a "Tracker" and a "SWAC" which look the same, have the same description, and one costs $15 more than the other for no apparent reason.

What.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: November 05, 2013, 12:58:43 PM

First thing learned from EVE is anything that's promised to be "rare" or "limited edition" or even "different" will be valued at millions by the players, just because.  There are ships in EVE that are worse* than the "common" variant that are way more expensive.  Most of the time, though, it's just a different paint job, or maybe a camouflage overlay.

Edit:  *I think the situation was the common variant was buffed by CCP as part of their "tiericide" effort but the repainted limited editions were not.  Not sure if that's still the case.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:00:47 PM by ajax34i »
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #601 on: November 05, 2013, 02:58:41 PM

monetizing the promise of future fantasy starship

This is imho the core. Roberts knowingly or not hit the goldmine right there.  The promise of the fantasy is a powerful thing , sometimes much more so than a finished product (after all fantasy is perfect and no real life thing is)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: November 05, 2013, 10:56:09 PM

It's also the lack of any competition, the lack of any pending competition, the lack of attention this kind of game has gotten in a very long time, and the audience for such a game that has a long memory who also have a lifestyle that can afford frivolous hope-based investment.

Right place, right time, right message, right audience.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #603 on: November 05, 2013, 10:58:47 PM

Cyanide shd do this for Blood Bowl 2.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #604 on: November 06, 2013, 05:02:52 AM

I looked at the Hornet in the store and came away confused. There's a "Ghost" and a "Specter" variant, which both appear the same and have the same description, but one costs $15 more. Likewise there's a "Tracker" and a "SWAC" which look the same, have the same description, and one costs $15 more than the other for no apparent reason.

What.
Hmm, that is confusing.  Buried underneath a graphic you have to click on for some reason it tells you what is contained in each.  Basically the cheaper one is just the ship itself while the one for $15 more is an actual package that gives you alpha/beta, some in game credits, starts to unlock the pledgre rewards, insurance and so on.
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: November 06, 2013, 06:17:43 AM

What.
Hmm, that is confusing.  Buried underneath a graphic you have to click on for some reason it tells you what is contained in each.  Basically the cheaper one is just the ship itself while the one for $15 more is an actual package that gives you alpha/beta, some in game credits, starts to unlock the pledgre rewards, insurance and so on.

There are 4 Hornet versions

Basic - has a cargo bay!
Ghost - Stealth version with low emission systems and stealth armour
Tracker - AWACS version with uber scanning shiney
Super - 2 man, highest legal civillian spec (comes with the top turret as standard for example) - removed from sale last week.

What you're seeing with the pricing is the various ways you can purchase the ship

For people without a Hornet there are the Colonel, Spectre and SWAC packages which include the ship and the game
For people who already purchased a Colonel package there are the upgrades from the basic Hornet to either the Ghost or Tracker

The price differences between those options are to do with the loadout you get on each Hornet (you need to look at the Hornet PDF to get that level of detail) but other than that the packages will be the same
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: November 07, 2013, 09:41:18 AM

Stunning.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: November 07, 2013, 10:38:20 AM

umm is that a painting or ingame footage?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: November 07, 2013, 10:58:29 AM

Concept painting by Elijah McNeal, who I am quickly becoming a fan of.

http://elijah.cghub.com/

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:02:18 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #609 on: November 07, 2013, 11:04:50 AM

Are those in game pictures?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: November 07, 2013, 11:08:16 AM

Concept painting

This gentleman, who also works for the project, is also awesome.

http://itchynick.cghub.com/

Some others by http://hazzard65.cghub.com/

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:14:53 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #611 on: November 07, 2013, 11:40:08 AM

No but I bet they will sell them to you. Or better yet make a stretch goal where they will create more concept art, which they will then sell to you.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #612 on: November 07, 2013, 12:54:37 PM

No but I bet they will sell them to you. Or better yet make a stretch goal where they will create more concept art, which they will then sell to you.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/hangar-posters
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: November 07, 2013, 12:58:43 PM

Yep, Please try to keep up.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #614 on: November 07, 2013, 01:54:45 PM

Nah, I'm good. awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #615 on: November 07, 2013, 01:54:53 PM

Cyanide shd do this for Blood Bowl 2.
Mantic should do this for Dreadball and take a giant dump on GW/Cyanide.
schild
Administrator

Reply #616 on: November 07, 2013, 02:22:46 PM

$26MM has to be a record for not having to deliver anything.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #617 on: November 07, 2013, 02:27:31 PM

$26MM has to be a record for not having to deliver anything.
Not even close.
schild
Administrator

Reply #618 on: November 07, 2013, 02:28:22 PM

Twitter is less of a scam than fake spaceships.
WayAbvPar

Reply #619 on: November 07, 2013, 04:53:31 PM

When Chris Roberts tears off his mask to reveal he is actually Brad McQuaid, the Internet will break.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #620 on: November 08, 2013, 12:16:10 PM

While we wait for the unmasking, here's a new interview with him over at "Rock,Paper,Shotgun" (more details about S42, dogfighting module, development schedule):

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/08/chris-roberts-details-squadron-42-takes-on-doubters/

About the dogfighting module:

The dogfighting module, for instance, will launch at the end of 2013 no matter what, but it might not include multiplayer until early next year. Reason being, RSI has the option of either running CryEngine’s stock multiplayer code or implementing Star Citizen’s full MMO-ready backend. At the moment, Roberts is leaning toward the latter, as it’ll allow stress testing pretty much from the get-go. So long, launch day server troubles – at least, in theory.

“That’s the decision that, if you go for the proper system, it’s much better for the game long-term,” he said. “But that means people aren’t playing multiplayer dogfights by Christmas. They’ll be able to play against AI or fly their ships around, but I think that may be the choice that I make. It’s better for the final game.”

Good enough, at least they will show that a portion of the game actually exists :P

Plus, Gamasutra just wrote up an overview of Roberts' presentation at GDC Next:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/204192/Beyond_crowdfunding_Chris_Roberts_urges_you_to_turn_backers_to_fans.php

(EDIT: LOL, just read my title for the first time...Err, thanks, I suppose  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? )
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:18:18 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #621 on: November 08, 2013, 11:07:50 PM

If only other companies had thought to test their network code before launch day, they too could have avoided launch day issues.  awesome, for real

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #622 on: November 09, 2013, 02:55:40 PM

If you guys were going to rank the ships, which ones are your aesthetic favorites and least favorites? I'm noting this extreme variety in what the ships look like, and some are ugly as sin (like the basic one) and others show promise.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #623 on: November 09, 2013, 05:49:38 PM

That's interesting, I don't think there is enough variety, they all look sort of the same to me.  They're pretty good but I haven't seen one that has really caught my eye yet.  Most people think the 300i is the best looking.  EvE had four different factions and each had its own style like utilitarian, graceful, asymetrical junkers, curvy.

They are hinting that two of the alien ships will be released on the 26th, hopefully those have completely new styles.  One might be a vertical focused ship.

Giant image of some EvE ships.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: November 10, 2013, 02:46:23 PM

I like the bulky MISC Freelancer, the aggressiveness (well, mostly due to its red/black combination) of the Origin 325a and, I'm very curious about the Origin M50 which, as far as I understand, it's undergoing a heavy revision. Aegis Retaliator is quite good looking too.

Not a fan of the Hornet.

I think they're trying to develop the ships so that they "make sense" and fit in how they're developing the SC universe and the ship manufacturers, not unlike today car ones (you know, some aesthetic extravaganza here and there, personalization, but nothing THAT wildly different from car to car) but they already hinted at some different and original designs when it comes to alien ships.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: November 10, 2013, 06:40:54 PM

Is PVP consensual for the public server?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: November 11, 2013, 04:30:46 AM

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:33:26 AM by Lucas »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: November 12, 2013, 04:07:37 AM

27 Million reached:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13368-Letter-From-The-Chairman-27-Million

So, Banu merchant ship unlocked, now onward to the new beginner ship, the Mustang.

29 Million goal:

We’re going to devote the $29 million stretch goal to more resources for the single player game, Squadron 42. With Erin Roberts and the other veterans at Foundry 42 hard at work on the game, you can trust that it’s going to be great. Now we’d like to give them some extra resources to work with!

Enhanced Mission Design for Squadron 42 – The team at Foundry 42 has big plans for Squadron 42, and we’re going to provide extra funding to make it a true spiritual successor to Wing Commander! Squadron 42 can go above and beyond anything you’ve seen before. From opening with an epic battle instead of a training patrol to missions that seamlessly combine boarding and space combat, we aim to put you right into the action! Additional funding will let the team realize this, with enhanced mission design and more resources and animations to enhance fidelity.

So, basically, they'll use the FPS part to its full extent in the single-player game as well: in the Wing Commander saga, you might remember some missions that ended in telling you that a "ground unit" was dispatched in an enemy base; or, for example, there was a mission in WC4 where you infiltrated a Black Lance base, but you could only watch Mark Hamill doing his thing in glorious FMV  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? . Hopefully, in S42, stuff like that will be much more involving and interactive :)

First look at a Xi'an capital ship concept art (see the $23M goal, although they're only talking about scout ships there):

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #628 on: November 12, 2013, 04:51:07 AM

Man, I know almost nothing about this game or the people making it, but I feel like I should also give them money for a fake spaceship I will never see just so I wont feel left out.   awesome, for real

Hmmm, what bank note should I light on fire ship should I get....

Edit:  NM, Jesus fucking christ these prices!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:55:44 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: November 12, 2013, 05:02:45 AM

Man, I know almost nothing about this game or the people making it, but I feel like I should also give them money for a fake spaceship I will never see just so I wont feel left out.   awesome, for real

Hmmm, what bank note should I light on fire ship should I get....

Edit:  NM, Jesus fucking christ these prices!

Well, like myself and others previously said in other posts, you can get the simplest and cheapest (but of course it depends on your wallet) package for $40, that will give you access to alpha, beta, standalone modules and the digital version of the proper products (S42 and Star Citizen itself):

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/69-digital-mercenary

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: