Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:20:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: I hit level 80... Now what? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I hit level 80... Now what?  (Read 77149 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

on: September 09, 2012, 10:26:18 AM

Not meant to be a complaint thread or anything.  I am just wondering what my new goals and objectives should be at level 80 other than opening map and finishing skill points, POI's, and Heart quests.  I'm a bit confused about the differences between WvW and Tournament PvP objectives and what ranks do for me in terms of skill gains, power, gear, etc.

Any insight, links, or thoughts appreciated.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:55:21 AM

Guild Wars 2 is almost three games in one, but none of these three games is "finished" somehow. The PvE portion is missing some big huge impossible challenges at the moment. Mind, I am not talking about gear or raids per se, but some challenge that hasn't been beaten yet and players can work on for the next weeks if not months. They will patch it in eventually, but if I did my homework correctly nothing like this is in yet.

The WvW is amazing but it feels as if there's no point other than "mindless fun". Which is great, but when you pit servers against servers based on rankings, players want to see those rankings. It's not gonna change the nature of the game you are playing, and the scope (fun), but it creates a meta-layer which is missing at the moment. They need to patch in visible rankings so servers can begin taking more seriously the war aspect of the game. also, they need to find a way to make the WvW more accessible, as the queues are so long and unpredictable that this portion of the game is at the moment more like a lucky break for most of us than something we can invest on.

Same is true for sPvP. I am sure you noticed Nebu that while you bring your stuff in WvW, sPvP follows the logic of an fps or an rts if you want: everyone has the same resources to choose from and to play with, so the reasons to play are just the same reasons that you have in those kind of games. Fun, and braggin rights. Here what the game is missing is the bragging rights layer. Again, this is one of the most important parts of the whole GW experience, so rest assured it will be patched in soon, but right now it is totally absent. sPvP needs even more seriously stuff like rankings and tournaments, but all that stuff is not currently in the game and all people can do is practice and grind for vanity items. They also need to put in actual Guild Wars as soon as possible.

So, in short, while I consider GW2 an incredibly amazing game, they have to move out of the pre-season zone they put themselves into, and start rolling out the competitive and meta aspects of the game as soon as pssible. Mind, there's no monthly fee here or subscription to cancel, so they are not really in a rush to make sure you won't get bored, but it really feels that once you are done with exploring and some random borderlands fun, you (and everyone else) will have to wait for the first real meta-content patch, which is blatantly missing.

So, meh. Sorry Nebu.

EDIT: sPvP ranking does nothing for you other than giving you access to differently LOOKING weapons and armours. And match you against similarly ranked players when you hit "Play now" in the server browser.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:01:09 AM by Falconeer »

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 11:00:57 AM

The effort involved in what amounts to a vanity item may not interest you, but it's definitely a post 80 long term goal:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_weapon

most often known as Drevik
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 11:05:56 AM

The dungeons, by most accounts, are really hard.  Perhaps at level 80 you have more items and skills and traits and whatnot, so they might be a little more manageable?  I haven't stepped foot in one, myself (yet).
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 11:16:51 AM

Or you could go outside  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 11:23:14 AM

I believe the endgame is mostly PvP.  You also still gain xp at level 80, the extra just get turned into skill points which even after you have bought all your skills can be used for stuff like crafting I guess.

But yeah PvE wise the only thing left to do is complete maps and the stupid hard explorable modes.  Achievements if you're into that sort of thing too I suppose.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:40:32 AM

I believe the endgame is mostly PvP. 

I was thinking this too... but then I hit rank 10, checked the level 10 vendor and the gear has identical stats.  Seems that the items gained are all vanity items, which is sadly something I don't care about.

I think I may do this.  Only other option is to level an alt or play a better pvp game like WoT. 

Have I mentioned that all the CC in GW2 without immunity timers is making me insane? 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 12:25:09 PM

This is a big problem for my guild actually.  I've had 4 people leave the game already once they hit 80 and realized there was fuck all to do that was worth a time investment.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 01:05:38 PM

^^ This

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if GW2 has the same problem most recent MMOs have where people hit max level, get bored, and quit.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 01:16:06 PM

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if GW2 has the same problem most recent MMOs have where people hit max level, get bored, and go back to WoW.

Fixed  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 01:39:00 PM

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if GW2 has the same problem most recent MMOs have where people hit max level, get bored, and go back to WoW.

Not just fixed; MoP is going live in two weeks. I'd be curious to see how the MoP launch affects server pops in GW2, except that I'll be one of the ones going back, so someone else will have to make that observation o.O

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 01:40:44 PM

Not for my group. That used to be the case but I don't know anyone who's gone back to WoW for like 3 MMOs now. I think it's dead for us (other than the chunk of players who I can't get to LEAVE it.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 01:50:08 PM

I have no doubt that GW2 will fill the PvP/RvR itch that people have wanted scratched for a looooooong time.  That said, WoW's got tenure in the PvE department, and with Scenarios and Challenge modes being dropped into the house in the couple weeks, I think those that went to GW2 for a lasting/rewarding PvE experience may be coming back.

Time will tell :)

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 01:55:10 PM

WoW hasn't had new content in the last three MMO's though. Expacs are a different animal altogether.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 01:55:33 PM

The amusing thing to me is that GW2's endgame zones are pretty boring partly due to the volume of population. The invasion of Orr spans three zones and is actually really cool to do from top to bottom. Sadly with the number of people present the invasion never gets pushed back and it's really hard to find any back and forth going on. It's just done or waiting on the zone event respawn 24/7.

I think it's the issue with doing non instanced zones purely out of DE chains. Eventually the players just win them, and there's no mechanic for a hard reset.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 02:05:50 PM

Yeah I've noticed this problem. The monsters never 'win' the first step of the meta-events so there's never anything going on other than the same event getting won over and over, in a lot of places.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 02:14:58 PM

I hope pvp isn't the "end game" here because if it is I will probably level a dude to 80 just to see whats what and then rarely, if ever, play again.  I HATE group pvp.  Playing as a bounty hunter in swg has spoiled any other form of pvp for me.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 02:23:02 PM

I have no doubt that GW2 will fill the PvP/RvR itch that people have wanted scratched for a looooooong time.  

I disagree.  The WvW seems pointless after a few days and I'm sure this will wear out the current fan base.  DAoC survived because WvW had an advancement scheme attached.  Even if the grind is long (hello RR13), it's enough to keep enthusiasts coming back.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:47:17 PM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 02:41:53 PM

You could all come play TSW  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?   Oh hai! New content patch in 2 days.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 02:43:24 PM

I have no doubt that GW2 will fill the PvP/RvR itch that people have wanted scratched for a looooooong time. 

I don't know.  I think it lacks grief factor.  
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 02:46:50 PM

I don't think that matters, for RVR players. What might matter is no death spam and lack of long term antagonists on the other team, since you rotate through.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 03:11:49 PM

Death spam is so simple, and yet no one DOES it. And they SHOULD, because death spam is AWESOME.

God Save the Horn Players
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 03:13:18 PM

I don't think that matters, for RVR players. What might matter is no death spam and lack of long term antagonists on the other team, since you rotate through.

Yeah. As I said, until they do something that allows the meta-social-political game to start, or they will ruin what has the potential to be fantastic. But honestly I am pretty sure they will. I just want it now.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 03:26:33 PM

The endgame shares a LOT of the same assumptions as GW1 does. The PVE part has a lot of grind, but it's something you can do and come back to; it's virtually identical to GW1 in terms of what it wants you to do (cosmetic gear) and how you do it (lots of time investment).

In fact, if you peel the onion back a bit, you'll see that a lot of the overarching design decisions are the same as GW1, just presented more competently. That's okay, but there's nothing like a traditional WoW/EQ/Rift endgame to speak of. And that's okay.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 03:28:04 PM

I would argue the story presentation is not more competent. Factions, Nightfall and EotN campaigns were all a lot more compelling than what we've got here. Granted in 2 out of the 3 the novelty of the different settings helped a lot.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 05:15:50 PM

Oh, man, really?

I watched this really awesome video series of a guy retelling the history of GW, with hand drawn art of his own and stuff, and it was so much better than ANet's presentation that it wasn't even funny. Bearing in mind that I played GW1 fairly hardcore through Factions, I never realized how cool the world was because their storytelling was so mediocre. I knew it was visually well realized, and that it had some memorable NPCs because they went hand in hand with the "feel" of the world, but the background was reasonably well-crafted in ways I'd never picked up on because deserts and Devona and thZZzzZZZzzZZ...

But I'm mainly referring to the mechanics and design.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 05:24:46 PM

I'm assuming this is the flip-side of Anets revenue model. They simply won't have the regular cash-flows to even attempt keeping PvE "achievers" busy so they don't try. PvP you can do forever (and of course it means little), there'll be vanity item grinds if you just want to keep playing but the people asking where the next tier of gear and raiding is will go back to WoW anyway.

Of course being non-sub you can always pick it up again when there's more content. So it will be interesting to see what their plans are. A long lull before a GW1 style expansion pack or smaller instalments of new content on the cash shop.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 05:38:30 PM

The expansions are already written essentially if you pay attention to the lore/story (and the ending). It's what, 7ish planned expansions probably? Each dragon will likely be an expansion, with the next one being NornDragon (guessing, since his commander is already in game, and it would make sense that he's nearby) complete with new lower/mid level zones for new progression.

What I don't know is how they'll do new skills/classes, due to half your skill bar being tied to weapons (adding new weapons to existing classes seems like it would be a short progression path)

But for current 80s: alts, world completion, gear grinds (and holy hell does Anet know how to make a grind), spvp/wvw. If none of that appeals to you, it's gonna be a short ride.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 05:45:15 PM

I don't think that matters, for RVR players.

There needs to be something other than score though.  RvR lovers want Genghis vs the crusade vs Rome.  Not team sports.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 06:37:24 PM

Most people I know are done with WoW and spend their time these days hoping some MMO will come along they enjoy enough to stick with. I personally have gone back to WoW once since the TBC days but quit shortly after Cataclysm and MoP has no interest. In fact, I'm struggling to see why WoW still holds appeal. It's just so damned dated now.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 09, 2012, 06:43:04 PM

The effort involved in what amounts to a vanity item may not interest you, but it's definitely a post 80 long term goal:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_weapon

Hmmm. I did just get "the lover".

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 07:01:57 PM

Most people I know are done with WoW and spend their time these days hoping some MMO will come along they enjoy enough to stick with. I personally have gone back to WoW once since the TBC days but quit shortly after Cataclysm and MoP has no interest. In fact, I'm struggling to see why WoW still holds appeal. It's just so damned dated now.

Two factors I think. There's no real competition in terms of raiding / gear progression MMO's. And also the people who race to get server firsts, the leet gear and the hard core achievements need an audience so they'll trend towards the dominant raiding game.

I really see GW2 as more a casual / second MMO / PvP side-line. I don't think it's interested in competing for the raider market.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 08:15:36 PM

I've been thinking about this and why it doesn't bother me, and I think it comes down to what type of gamer you are.

Prior to GW2 I played a lot of Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Red Dead, etc..  For me I think GW2 is the perfect experience of a multiplayer Elder Scrolls type of game, which is why I don't mind being at 80 and still meandering around.  In those games I hit max level and still went around exploring different places.  While the main quests are ridiculously written there's a lot of interesting lore in the dynamic events.  It's great for exploring and finding a lot of little things. 

Most of the people I personally know that are complaining about hitting 80 and are traditional MMO players. 

I guess it comes to me that if you didn't enjoy getting to 80 then you wouldn't enjoy past 80.  If you did enjoy getting to 80 then keep doing what you enjoyed doing and complete the other maps.  It's quite obvious once you get to level 25 or so that levels don't really mean much in the game.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 09:14:06 PM

You could all come play TSW  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?   Oh hai! New content patch in 2 days.

Sure, once it goes free to play.

Over and out.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 09:28:18 PM

It's quite obvious once you get to level 25 or so that levels don't really mean much in the game.

If this is really their intention, then why have levels after 25 at all?  The grind to 80 seems superfluous.  Just leave it like GW1 and have it be a few levels to get your abilities and the rest of the world is just something else to do.  The 80 level cap seems like it's an attempt to cater to the traditional MMO crowd, but those gamers will see through it in a week or two and leave the game.  That's all fine and good if they are just after box sales.  If they're after RMT from gems, I think they're in for a disappointment.

-  Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: I hit level 80... Now what?  
Jump to: