Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:50:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: X-Men: Days of Future Past 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: X-Men: Days of Future Past  (Read 57861 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 04:10:03 AM

How much clearer does it have to be ?  We are the Future Charles.  Not them.

Mystique became Them.

Tho it was interesting to watch First Class with that in mind.  Hey little Blue Girl, just discovering your sexuality;  That guy is going to fuck you up.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 04:21:38 AM

It made sense for Magneto.  He fights for the cause, not the people.  He has a pretty strict code, but it's important to understand he will do just about anything if it furthers the cause.  He isn't concerned with circumstances or cause and effect, only the ends.  If you're a mutant, he's a messiah.  If you're a human, you're naught but an amoeba.

Later in his life he mellows a bit, but he never loses that Mutants First philosophy.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 05:55:38 AM

Actually, the problem with McKellen as Magneto (and with the writing as well) in the X-men movies was illustrated in the third one,

Wait, there was a third X-Men movie? Between X2 and First Class?

You're making this up.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 07:45:24 AM

It made sense for Magneto.  He fights for the cause, not the people.  He has a pretty strict code, but it's important to understand he will do just about anything if it furthers the cause.  He isn't concerned with circumstances or cause and effect, only the ends.  If you're a mutant, he's a messiah.  If you're a human, you're naught but an amoeba.

Later in his life he mellows a bit, but he never loses that Mutants First philosophy.

beer geek.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 08:41:18 AM

He'd mellowed well before then, but yeah.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 11:47:18 AM

The thing I hated the most about Magneto in the first three films was the scene in the second film where he's mocking Rogue's hair. Really? that was just petty for his character and IMO out of character for both the movie and comic book version.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 03:02:30 PM

All of this being said, Fassbender is a much superior Magneto in almost every way.

beer geek.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 05:05:31 PM

Yes. Because the First Class movie understands: this is a debate between philosophies. The Singer X-Men movies almost got that but by 3 (Ratner!) they obviously felt the need to douche Magneto up even more. I do not buy that he would just throw over Mystique that harshly--he might sideline her, keep her from the inner counsel, but not just say see ya. It's a bad flick, no need to try and square it with the larger mythology or other movies.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 05:09:01 PM

So am I to understand in days that alternate futures will be shown? Perhaps showcasing both philosophies taken to extremes and equally shit?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 05:11:42 PM

So am I to understand in days that alternate futures will be shown? Perhaps showcasing both philosophies taken to extremes and equally shit?
In the comic there was just a single future.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 05:15:14 PM

Yeah, though later on the comics portrayed a dizzying array of possible futures (almost all of them really, really bad). They're doing one right now that involves Apocalypse. So they could arguably do exactly that--a bad Professor X future and a bad Magneto future. It's kind of a cool idea.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 05:41:20 PM

This is a fairly minor spoiler

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 05:59:50 PM

That's just the original story, though, Palmer. Since then there are about eighty quadrillion 'possible futures' some of which seem to have not much to do with either Professor X or Magneto's ideals.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 06:43:34 PM

Yes. Because the First Class movie understands: this is a debate between philosophies. The Singer X-Men movies almost got that but by 3 (Ratner!) they obviously felt the need to douche Magneto up even more. I do not buy that he would just throw over Mystique that harshly--he might sideline her, keep her from the inner counsel, but not just say see ya. It's a bad flick, no need to try and square it with the larger mythology or other movies.

Magneto pitied her for what happened, but she was no longer on his team. He thought she'd gone fully human, so what was the point of having her around? Her use was in infiltration and she's no longer able to do that.

Also, that 'douchey' guy had just murdered a bunch of humans with a gesture. He let Mystique live because of their prior relationship. If he'd thought that she'd betray him, he might have killed her there and then.

X3 had its flaws, but how it made Magneto look isn't one of them. He's fighting a war for mutant survival (in his eyes) and he's perfectly happy to make sacrifices along the way.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 11:35:13 PM

Jackman is in talks to be in Days now too.  Nice!
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 11:55:54 PM

He'd better be, it just wouldn't be the same.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #51 on: December 19, 2012, 01:26:16 PM

Jackman is in talks to be in Days now too.  Nice!
Official now:

https://twitter.com/BryanSinger/status/281256660025081857

I would officially like to welcome @RealHughJackman to the cast of #Xmen Days of Future Past. Very excited! More to come...
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 24, 2013, 12:47:54 PM

"Don't you people ever die?"

Filming is underway and Bryan Singer, like the good social media aficionado he is, keeps posting pics of stuff like SIR Jean-Luc Picard and SIR Gandalf the Grey being awesome and Halle Berry being less so. Today he posted a Vine picture thing that gave away the names of a couple of new mutants on the block.

https://vine.co/v/bPXUHdHMwnm

My inner fanboi is all the excite about this but otherwise I'm also concerned there are going to be far too many mutants to make this watchable.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #53 on: April 24, 2013, 02:08:57 PM

Bishop. UGH. Hated that fucking character.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 24, 2013, 02:43:18 PM

Good.  Thought I was the only one.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #55 on: April 24, 2013, 02:59:40 PM

No, I pretty much always thought he was a loud, obnoxious, utterly one-dimensional character with a silly look. And then his look kept changing, and it seemed like writers always had to find some way to shoehorn a story around him but there just wasn't ever enough there there to make a book last.

Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 24, 2013, 04:25:02 PM

No, I pretty much always thought he was a loud, obnoxious, utterly one-dimensional character with a silly look. And then his look kept changing, and it seemed like writers always had to find some way to shoehorn a story around him but there just wasn't ever enough there there to make a book last.
I think you pretty much described every Xman character and individual story arcs.  For me X-men was always about the grandiose story arcs. I'd always be a little bit embarrassed by the lame soap opera stuff in between.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #57 on: April 24, 2013, 06:33:28 PM

Bishop's problem was that he existed for one reason, and after that storyline wrapped up he really didn't have any real point as a character.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 09:18:37 PM

Let me help you with that.

Bishop's problem was that he existed
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 25, 2013, 06:55:04 AM

Woo, Blink!

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 25, 2013, 06:28:08 PM

Woo, Blink!

I like that they have Warpath too.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #61 on: April 25, 2013, 06:59:15 PM

Too many characters, no Matthew Vaughn, Singer's X-Men movies had about 25 minutes of good material total and he's only gotten worse since then. Not really keeping my hopes high for this one.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 26, 2013, 01:19:17 AM

No, neither am I.

Which is odd, since the latest raft of Marvel Hero Movies have been pretty much exceptional for what they are.

And yet, I really am not excited about this at all when I should be.

I think XMen 3 really did kill it for me.  Jesus Christ, that film....

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 27, 2013, 08:49:55 PM

No, neither am I.

Which is odd, since the latest raft of Marvel Hero Movies have been pretty much exceptional for what they are.

And yet, I really am not excited about this at all when I should be.

I think XMen 3 really did kill it for me.  Jesus Christ, that film....

It may be a Marvel film but it's still not under their control.  I wish they would get the X-Men properties back.  I'd love to see what would happen under Disney. 
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 30, 2013, 08:20:24 AM

They did something interesting with Bishop in a recent (ie 2007) storyline which I am going to spoil because I am sure none of you will ever read it.

It turns out Bishop comes from a future dystopian timeline where a mutant called Hope - a baby in our time - murdered millions of people and made mutants even more hated.

While Cable comes from a future nicer timeline where she brings peace and unity (in what I think is a massive retcon for Cable).

So Bishop wants to kill the baby while Cable wants to save it. It was an interesting concept for a story.

Apart from that, I always hated Bishop too, yes. And Cable. But then I always liked the Claremont-esque soap operas more than the big guns and big muscles stuff that we got in the 1990s.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 30, 2013, 08:33:29 AM

Did Hope(Bishop) kill all those mutants before or after Apocalypse hunted them all down?

Bishop still sucks.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 30, 2013, 08:43:48 AM

She killed humans not mutants. And as for Apocalypse, I just pretend all the stories involving him don't exist and it makes things much easier.

Though actually I get annoyed at the way mutants are presented as something separate to humans in many of the books now, and the movies. In God Loves, Man Kills there's a scene where Wolverine points out that they are humans, just humans that might be different to the majority in some way. The X-Men used to be about the way we treat each other, now it's about how humans would react if a genuinely new species appeared (with superpowers) which threatened to make us extinct.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: April 30, 2013, 12:36:28 PM

Actually Rick Remender has done great work with Apocalypse in the recent X-Force series that he's now carried over to Uncanny Avengers. First time I've found the character really interesting.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: April 30, 2013, 02:15:33 PM

Ah I did catch some of the X-Force stuff - with Angel going evil and Psylocke actually being an interesting character? They were good comics.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 30, 2013, 05:29:54 PM

She killed humans not mutants. And as for Apocalypse, I just pretend all the stories involving him don't exist and it makes things much easier.

Though actually I get annoyed at the way mutants are presented as something separate to humans in many of the books now, and the movies. In God Loves, Man Kills there's a scene where Wolverine points out that they are humans, just humans that might be different to the majority in some way. The X-Men used to be about the way we treat each other, now it's about how humans would react if a genuinely new species appeared (with superpowers) which threatened to make us extinct.

Yeah but Logan is just a mutated wolverine, so he's not really human!   why so serious?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: X-Men: Days of Future Past  
Jump to: