Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:59:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: WvW Thoughts 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WvW Thoughts  (Read 114032 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: October 20, 2012, 01:30:07 PM

So I decided to log in and see if I can find some enjoyable WvW for once.

I read on the forums last night that on my server (blackgate) we had a naked conga line spawn camping other servers cause they were owning so bad.  Log in right now and we own literrally every single map point on all *4* battlegrounds.

*sigh*
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: October 20, 2012, 02:02:17 PM

OTOH now that Blackgate is gone from our matchup, WvW is pretty fun on Tarnished Coast (tier 3? 4?). We have a pretty decisive lead over FA and Dragonbrand, but knowing TC's general schedule, this won't last.

If nothing else, it's good payback for the absolute wtfpwning Dragonbrand did to us a few weeks ago...  why so serious?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: October 20, 2012, 03:09:15 PM

So yeah, Crystal Desert population was so bad that 2-3 hours after reset, we started to get the outmanned buff.
I lasted around 4 hours with the guild before deciding to start a new character. Maybe necro. Or warrior.

What borderland was that in?

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: October 20, 2012, 09:54:54 PM

A guy messaged me tonight telling me that he rolled a necro after he watched me break a survival stack. Having just hit 80 he wanted to know my build details and sent me a screenshot he took of this event. This was like 3 weeks ago? MY EGO!

Necros don't get enough attention. Raw damage output isn't stellar but there are a lot of neat tricks that a lot of people don't really know about.

This stack was almost entirely wiped - a few stragglers made it out. Check out the minimap and my position.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #459 on: October 20, 2012, 09:57:21 PM

I think we went for Sea of Sorrows. Then at night, we just played 'the cap and move' game, running from the zerg and not accomplishing much.
There's 20 people AFKing dancing at the way point that I think this is really a case of shit server population.

There's a PINK DAY GOING ON IN OUR SERVER WHILE THIS IS HAPPENING.

fhhgfkahglhls

Hello!! Here is an update for what's going on concerning the Pink Day in LA event!
I will probably edit this message if I have more informations to give, so stay tuned! ;)

We are officially gonna hold the Pink Day in LA event in Crystal Desert!!!

Here is the website: http://www.pinkday.gamergivingback.com/

Any donations for the Canadian Cancer Society would be really appreciated! The goal is to reach $13,337.00!
If you want to donate, it doesn't have to be a lot of money, if every one of us gives a little amount we will be able to reach the goal!! Let's all do our part!

This big event will begin at 12:00 pm CDT and take place in Lion's Arch!
We ask everyone to wear PINK on that day, and you could even start wearing pink in the remaining days of the week before this event since October is the month of Breast Cancer Awareness! You will be required to wear pink if you want to participate in the in game activities. We will be giving away participation prizes that have been donated by our volunteers and their guilds ( Emerald Fang [Fang], Knock Out[KO], We're All Gonna Die [WAGD], More Tears [MTs], Hope Remains, [HOPE], Indiana State University [ISU]) and there will also be bigger IRL and IG prizes that will be given by Gamers Giving Back.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: October 20, 2012, 10:09:47 PM

There's a pink day going on on every server (it's a GW1 tradition too, btw), I don't see the problem?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #461 on: October 20, 2012, 10:14:46 PM

So I decided to log in and see if I can find some enjoyable WvW for once.

I read on the forums last night that on my server (blackgate) we had a naked conga line spawn camping other servers cause they were owning so bad.  Log in right now and we own literrally every single map point on all *4* battlegrounds.

*sigh*

Good time to get your wvw 100%s knocked out. :p

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: October 20, 2012, 10:38:39 PM

There's a pink day going on on every server (it's a GW1 tradition too, btw), I don't see the problem?

Draws ppl away from the WvW.
There's no queue.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: October 21, 2012, 06:17:53 AM

Necros don't get enough attention. Raw damage output isn't stellar but there are a lot of neat tricks that a lot of people don't really know about.

Did you drop the well which turns boons into conditions on them?

I keep telling people this, by the way. Nobody believes me. I kind of like it that way.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: October 21, 2012, 09:08:39 AM

I keep telling people this, by the way. Nobody believes me. I kind of like it that way.

Yep, Well of corruption, Well of Suffering, and a full load of staff marks.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: October 21, 2012, 09:23:58 AM

/highfive  awesome, for real
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: October 22, 2012, 06:31:54 AM

I'm running with two Necros that are doing this as well and it's amazing.

Gates of Madness is getting slaughtered for the 2nd week in a row - target rich environment, but as soon as the other servers actually hear someone is out about the zerg arrives in no time. I want to stick it out on this server to see if it turns around a bit, but it's look like we'll be heading to the 2nd lowest tier which doesn't make for very good WvW.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: October 22, 2012, 07:37:27 AM

One more level and I can target my wells.  Squee.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Genev
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: October 25, 2012, 04:01:05 AM

Wasn't happening on Blacktide afaik :p
We're selfish cunts.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: October 29, 2012, 09:26:15 AM

Server matchups are just weird.  From what people are talking about here and there, the free transfers are causing a zerg of server hoppers.  For example, this week Tarnished Coast and Eredon Terrace are getting stomped by Sanctum of Rall.  Just complete SoR map ownership and all 3 orbs.  In the previous matchup, Tarnished Coast owned all the maps.  Neither scenario is very fun, it's better when the matches are more even.  If it is server transfers causing this imbalance, I hope they end them soon.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: October 29, 2012, 09:46:58 AM

The free transfers were a horrible idea that have caused more harm than good.  They need to end asap.

I am the .00000001428%
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: October 29, 2012, 01:02:18 PM

This just in:

Due to community concerns about the effect of free transfers on world versus world, starting on November 1 we are going to change how often players are allowed to transfer worlds. After the update, players will be able to transfer worlds once every 7 days instead of once every 24 hours. We are also actively working on getting the guesting functionality in place. Thank you for your understanding

Not sure how this affects the current situation though...aren't people waiting about that long anyway?
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: October 29, 2012, 01:09:39 PM

For TC, basically the last 3 weeks have been screwed by transfers. First we were playing Blackgate that got a massive influx of hardcore wvw guilds from HOD (and proceeded to absolutely wtfpwn both TC and FA), then we were playing FA and Dragonbrand (who just had a lot of their wvw guilds leave, so they were barely even showing up) that was a blowout in TC's favor. Now we're fighting Eredon Terrace (completely MIA) and Sanctum of Rall (another server that got a massive wvw infusion relatively recently). It's going to be another Blackgate-style blowout this week, too.

FWIW I don't think they're struggling with implementation issues for guesting, but rather it's being delayed because they are trying to think up ways to prevent orichalcum / dragon chest / whatever farming via constant server hopping.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: October 29, 2012, 01:53:24 PM

Monetize sever transfers. Want to transfer once? That's free. Transfer twice? Cash shop. Third time? Double the first payment. Reset every 30 day period. Allow players to give visa, basically guest pass, one per player.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: October 29, 2012, 02:20:04 PM

Once a week does jack shit to fix the problem, thats how often people need to transfer anyways.  The whole point of free server transfers was to alleviate queues, the only way to do that is by having source and destination servers not by allowing anyone to transfer anywhere.  You can still have paid "i wanna play with my friends" transfers to anywhere.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:21:41 PM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: October 29, 2012, 02:25:26 PM

Yea there seems to be a disconnect with the concept of why people are transferring for WvW in the first place.  Ah well, it'll work out  awesome, for real
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #476 on: October 29, 2012, 02:36:45 PM

Smurfing!

"Me am play gods"
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: October 30, 2012, 01:18:41 AM

This just in:

Due to community concerns about the effect of free transfers on world versus world, starting on November 1 we are going to change how often players are allowed to transfer worlds. After the update, players will be able to transfer worlds once every 7 days instead of once every 24 hours. We are also actively working on getting the guesting functionality in place. Thank you for your understanding

Not sure how this affects the current situation though...aren't people waiting about that long anyway?

Who was it that said they had guesting working and just had to turn it on?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: October 30, 2012, 07:27:53 AM

I'm pretty sure they're following the trends of people who jump around a lot.  This allows them to tweak it slowly instead of going all draconian as the first step.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: October 30, 2012, 08:44:08 AM

The first place chasers are gonna be in an interesting place soon.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #480 on: October 30, 2012, 11:01:47 PM

Been spending more and more time Schlepping about in WvW.  My Necro is finally about as geared as I can get, and I have been enjoying WvW a lot more.  Throw in the odd random 1v1 now and then and I am having fun (been doing pretty well actually, probably win 70% of my 1v1s).

The Matching system, well I think it goes beyond the matching system.  The Server I am on (Boralis Pass), after two weeks of being stomped into the ground has finally pulled things together, Lots of intra-guild communication, and half the time I am in 3 different teamspeak channels to help with the coordination.  People are staying up late, one guild leader pulled a 20 hour stint,  hell I rolled into work at 11:15 on Monday after a late late sunday night trying to keep our points rolling.  hmm I am rambling.

My point is that this is starting to feel like Shadowbane to me a bit, work your ass off, only to lose it all as soon as you go to bed.  I would kill to have an Aussie/Kiwi guild join our server.  It is only Tuesday and our lead is only 20k, I think we can hold on until friday.. but f'it man after this week, I think so many people on our server are going to be burned out, that next week we will just slide back down the hill.   

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: October 31, 2012, 07:32:22 AM

You guys got off to a pretty solid lead right off the bat and we've been fighting back into it since. I know that GoM doesn't have much of an overnight crew either, but this tier feels right so far.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: October 31, 2012, 05:50:27 PM

Newb questions as I think about stepping into WvW:

1) What should I spec in as an Ele?
2) It is all about Vitality and Toughness with maybe Power?
3) How do I get started? Click a button and wait for the queue WoW BG style?

I could look all this up but I'd rather just take direction from the experienced.

On JQ with some folks.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: October 31, 2012, 08:56:39 PM

1. I don't know about Elementalists play but you shouldn't run around solo.
The frequent ganking and odd thief will jump you. Don't forget the availability of Waypoint to your respawn to avoid repair bills when a zerg is imminent.

2. Building around survival is probably best, yes. Less so if you're in a crowd.
That said, you can't just follow loose zergs and hope for the best. I recommend you join an active WvW guild for better communication. It'll help them and more importantly, you, better. And a level 20 supply runner is important to finish building rams / repair a keep gate/walls. 'Supply' are resources that are generated from supply camps (tent icons). Dolyak caravans would also deliver them to keep for stockpiles. Keeps and Towers cannot generate supplies. So defenders who are cut off from supply will not be able to build defensive siege engine nor repair their walls.

3. Head to Heart of the Mist, exit to Lion's Arch portal.
Right at entry point, you should see 4 gates that takes you to each borderlands. The 3 will be your world, and the other two worlds your server match up. The last is the Eternal Borderlands.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #484 on: October 31, 2012, 09:04:22 PM

You don't have to walk to the portals; just hit 'B' to bring up the score screen and click on the bar at the top to queue for one of the 4 zones.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: November 01, 2012, 12:44:39 AM

If you are doing small group stuff as an elementalist, I would REALLY consider dagger/dagger or scepter/dagger. You can't really zerg with the small range of the stuff, but with the fields you have you can just destroy people 1v1. There are a few videos of how to play a close range ele and man is it fun. That being said, I play my thief a TON more than my ele. Being able to stealth and pick your fights a lot more gives you a huge leg up. Then again, I generally never go into a fight 1v1. I usually have 2 other people with me and we just pick up people running around solo.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: November 01, 2012, 04:26:42 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fi_7YYs1tz4

a funny "tutorial" showing the difference between organized (and competent) wvw-group and what seems like random (or less competent) players from an opposing server.  why so serious?
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: November 01, 2012, 08:01:43 AM

No, no. As an elementalist forget survivabity. Go full berserkers and get the rune that gives 10 power per stack. Then get 25 stacks and melt people with 7500 tick meteor storms.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: November 01, 2012, 08:10:54 AM

Yep, pretty much. Survivability stats don't help against a zerg, and evenly matched small-scale battles are VERY rare in wvw. I always go with a staff and glass cannon gear, haven't regretted it yet.

(also, the staff gives you plenty of survivability/kiting abilities on its own... not as much as a x/scepter combo of course)

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: November 01, 2012, 08:42:12 AM

Survivability is about having good escape skills, not stats.  Full berserkers is almost always the best choice.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: WvW Thoughts  
Jump to: