Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:21:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: WvW Thoughts 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WvW Thoughts  (Read 114011 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

on: July 25, 2012, 08:57:05 AM

Supply/Seige equipment is the core of WvW.
Headless Zerg is gets raped by day 3.
Futile defenses of keeps/tower are much more rewarding than WAR.
Skirmishing over Camps, dolyaks, sentries is fun.  A small organized group could cause lots of trouble this way.
Not sure what the point of sentries are.

"Me am play gods"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:20:24 PM

To give those small groups something to kill?

I think the more interesting thing will be small groups assaulting back towers and such. 
A Flame ram takes 40 supply... Isn't there a guild perk that allows you to carry 15? Or does it go up to 20?
So without the perk, it will take a group of 8 to throw up two rams.

With the perk it will take what? At 15 it will be 6, and at 20 it would be 4.  That sounds to me where a lot of fun will be had.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 01:38:38 PM

That perks seems to be related to to upgraded fortresses.

One player with one arrow cart (20 supply) ruins that plan.  That's sorta thing would have never worked on Sunday against the top servers, maybe if we move to a back water server.

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 01:48:13 PM

I really dug the WvWvW when I could actually get in it. The supply depots and caravans made for some really fun side missions that actually helped the side. Getting CCed and shut down almost instantly isn't as bad as it was in DAoC but still can happen. Lots of memories of Emain Milegates got brought back, only with better designed zones. Still not sure there should be as many mobs as there are.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 01:49:44 PM

Too easy to grief. Played it for a few hours on Sunday and somebody or somebodies on my side (red) kept building unfinished siege weapons to use up all our supply points and when we were being sieged he made rams inside our tower swamp poop Needless to say we were losing big time. Also we had the 2 on 1 (blue & green vs red in this case) problem that always seems to accompany three sided battles.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 02:18:36 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic.   It seems like they have a setup that will allow for some smaller scale pvp without constant zerging.   The fact that the map shows you big battles allows you to stay away from the zerg too.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 03:37:52 PM

From what I remember from my time doing WvW in the first beta weekend, the markers show all engagements, not just large ones.  If it were up to me, I'd only show when keeps or supply depots are under attack to have a bit more fog of war so there's more opportunities for scouting, surprise attacks and smaller skirmishes.

Over and out.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 11:34:55 PM

To give those small groups something to kill?

I think the more interesting thing will be small groups assaulting back towers and such.  
A Flame ram takes 40 supply... Isn't there a guild perk that allows you to carry 15? Or does it go up to 20?
So without the perk, it will take a group of 8 to throw up two rams.
Some of the best fun I had in Warhammer Online was myself as an Ironbreaker and a White Lion ninja'ing battle objectives from destro when they're chasing the zerg around keeps, although I haven't wvw yet, I'm excited at the notion of small groups being able to change things.

Hearing that it's possible for your own team to sabotage your efforts is... worrying, especially since there is no level gating and people are known to make alts.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:48:15 PM by Pagz »
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 11:42:16 PM

Hearing that it's possible for your own team to sabotage your efforts is... worrying, especially since their is no level gating and people are known to make alts.

All of your characters are locked onto a single server.  So unless you're intentionally trying to piss off your own server, which directly affects you due to the wvwvw server buffs, I don't see that one being a major problem.  There won't be anyone from another server doing it to you.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 11:43:11 PM

Hearing that it's possible for your own team to sabotage your efforts is... worrying, especially since their is no level gating and people are known to make alts.

At least anyone trying to do this has to buy a new account to spy and sabotage stuff. I know people even paid extra subscriptions to do it in DAOC though so I supposed a one time box fee is hardly going to matter to them.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:40:41 AM by Phred »
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 11:48:20 PM

Yeah, but even that will backfire sooner than later, since the servers get rematched every couple of weeks anyhow, unless it somehow settles down and continues to match you against the same couple servers.   Seems more work and money than is worth it for griefing.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 04:57:28 AM

Couldn't you just delete the char from the grief account and start on another server?

I am the .00000001428%
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 05:20:34 AM

Your account is bound to server and the characters follow the account although it would be easy enough to pay the server transfer fee when the match ups changed.  I've learned not to underestimate the lengths that an asshat with a credit card (especially if its their mom's) will go to cause trouble in an MMO.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 06:46:11 AM

From what I remember from my time doing WvW in the first beta weekend, the markers show all engagements, not just large ones.  If it were up to me, I'd only show when keeps or supply depots are under attack to have a bit more fog of war so there's more opportunities for scouting, surprise attacks and smaller skirmishes.

The map should (I believe) show fights involving more than 5 players in the area. How it determines "in the area" is a mystery.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 07:39:38 AM

Your account is bound to server and the characters follow the account although it would be easy enough to pay the server transfer fee when the match ups changed.  I've learned not to underestimate the lengths that an asshat with a credit card (especially if its their mom's) will go to cause trouble in an MMO.
After a server transfer you are locked out of WvW for a few weeks.  That wouldn't work, either.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 08:00:24 AM

I enjoy dinking around in WvW but I doubt that I have the motivation to ever be part of a serious business WvW crew, that said do you have to buy the tactics manual every time you want to build a squad or is it a one time expense?
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 08:09:03 AM

Couldn't you just delete the char from the grief account and start on another server?

Not as of BWE3. I can understand if they're trying to protect WvW as well as having a money grab at the same time, but it is kind of shitty that deleting all characters on an account doesn't allow for a new server selection.

Especially if they don't fix the issue where some people are assigned a server when they first start their account (I had that issue in BWE1 where I didn't even have a chance to select my server).
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 10:37:50 AM

After a server transfer you are locked out of WvW for a few weeks.  That wouldn't work, either.

You all are assuming that the griefing would be motivated by a desire to give their 'main' account some kind of advantage rather than motivated by nothing more than being an asshole.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 10:48:10 AM

If the GW2 player base is similar to the GW1 player base, you should absolutely be worried about people griefing their own team just for the pure joy of it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 12:09:01 PM

Doubtful they'd pay to transfer under that scenario though.  They could do it for free where they are.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 12:12:15 PM

Yeah, I don't put much stock in the idea of people making a second account and transferring around or whatever. I think there's a real risk of people from your own server fucking you just because, and those people will be there every week.

Presumably they will have some kind of reporting/punishment mechanism for this sort of thing.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 01:04:24 PM

When all is said and done, you'll still have 'That Guy' building rams on top of battlements! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-vju9J4wxA#t=10m

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 07:58:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eE-1WMSSMw
This is what we should aspire to.

"Me am play gods"
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 10:26:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eE-1WMSSMw
This is what we should aspire to.

Good to see an old GW1 guild giving it the scrub masses  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 05:28:35 PM

I'm hoping to start playing in a few hours and I haven't played in any of the betas or read a huge amount about the game so I have one question: how do I get into the WvW game? What key do I press, or do I need to go to a special place or something? That's pretty much all I need to know.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 05:31:57 PM

I'm hoping to start playing in a few hours and I haven't played in any of the betas or read a huge amount about the game so I have one question: how do I get into the WvW game? What key do I press, or do I need to go to a special place or something? That's pretty much all I need to know.

Click the PvP icon at the top of the UI. Pretty self-explanatory from there.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 05:36:55 PM

Click the PvP icon at the top of the UI. Pretty self-explanatory from there.

Thanks!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 07:30:26 PM

or hit the b key. Then on the top of the screen that appears hit the "Join WvW "and select one of the 4 areas.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 07:30:46 PM

Do we / does anyone  have voice com ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 10:57:01 AM

My thoughts on WvW so far are the queue is horrendously long.  ACK!

Also, today, Jade Quarry, Gate of Madness, and Maguuma are ENEMIES!  Which nerds will reign supreme?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 11:30:48 AM

The queues, which I highly underestimated in beta since they were massive for the Eternal Battleground but never there for the three other borderlands, are a big problem at this point for me. The main if not only reason why I am into this game is the WvWvW, and while I hope things will get better, I am afraid they won't considering they can't really raise the cap of maximum players allowed, and there will only more coming in the next few weeks.

At the moment, the wait for me and my friends has never been shorter than an hour, and considering you can get kicked out or disconnected at random and there's no way to know if the queue is long or short or your place in it, things are being a tad frustrating.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 26, 2012, 11:50:39 AM

Oh, it already swapped in Fort Aspenwood for Maguuna.  I thought these matchups were supposed to last a while?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 12:03:22 PM

They said they will last 1-2 weeks when the servers will have some sort of ranking/rating. At the moment, since there's no way of knowing which ones are the good ones and which ones suck or have very little PvP participation they will keep swapping them daily in order to keep things fair.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 12:14:09 PM

That actually sounds pretty smart of them.  I was wondering how they were going to do the match-ups before everything settled down.

Over and out.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 01:33:14 AM

Doubtful they'd pay to transfer under that scenario though.  They could do it for free where they are.

Why transfer, just keep deleting and rolling a new character to grief with since your level and gear don't matter. You don't need to transfer when you can roll a new toon, go straight into WvW (dumb), force yourself into any squad you want (dumber) and sabotage gameplay resources just because your an asshole and want to (dumbest).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:35:00 AM by Redgiant »

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: WvW Thoughts  
Jump to: