Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:39:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: WvW Thoughts 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WvW Thoughts  (Read 117178 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #70 on: August 28, 2012, 08:17:34 AM

Yep, the ability for my guard to swap from mace/shield to staff at the press of a button has turned the tides on both major PvE encounters and WvW to a smaller extent.  It's a really neat system.

In WvW, have you found the guardian's static abilities to be a hindrance and/or not used to their full potential? On mace, one of the attacks lays down a small circle which heals you and hurts enemies. Great in PvE but in PvP no enemy stands in it of course and if I want to get out of the way of some attacks then I'm leaving the circle too. I've also had allies actively avoid the staff run buff circle which makes me rage in a very special way.

I haven't sPvPd yet, and frankly I'd find being out of a zerg somewhat challenging to play a guard.  Their simple lack of real range is a hindrance.

In WvW, I focus on keeping folks alive and up, and I use the second shield ability to push enemies away from the doors they try to run back into.  I got quite a few kills that way last night, pushing them back into our crowds where they were hammered. 

I'm not sure guard is the best choice for PvP, though.  I suspect I'll have to get crafty with the class.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #71 on: August 28, 2012, 03:39:00 PM

I'm running greatsword which has the leap on 4, and also Judge's somethingsomething as a utility, which teleports me to my target; between the two of those mobility isn't a huge problem for me so far in WvW. I'd still welcome some kind of a sprint but I haven't found a way to do that yet.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: August 28, 2012, 04:50:22 PM

I'm running greatsword which has the leap on 4, and also Judge's somethingsomething as a utility, which teleports me to my target; between the two of those mobility isn't a huge problem for me so far in WvW. I'd still welcome some kind of a sprint but I haven't found a way to do that yet.

Symbol of Swiftness on the Staff puts a GTAoE swiftness field down (8 sec duration, 15 sec recharge). Or there's Retreat in the utility skills (20 sec duration, 1 minute recharge). That's about all I can think of for the Guardian.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: August 28, 2012, 04:54:57 PM

I'll have to check out Retreat. Staff doesn't really fit what I'm going for.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 28, 2012, 05:19:43 PM

I haven't been doing any WvW yet, but everytime I look at the scoreboard my server "Henge of Denravi" is always blowing it out.  It's crazy.

Henge of Denravi has PRX which was one of the zerg guilds in Shadowbane that pretty much ruined an entire server(Treachery).  CND probably planned to dominate that server with them from the get go.  Imagine the goons but 100% of the players are focused on World PvP.  I'd move if I was on that server frankly.   Although it could get interesting when they finally get put up against the reddit/goon servers I guess.
That screenshot I took? I'm on the Goon server. Autowin PvP it is not.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #75 on: August 28, 2012, 07:23:20 PM

Retreat is pretty handy. I've been using Greatsword/Sword and Torch, both have a close and a bit of aoe, decent all-arounders for offensive play.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #76 on: August 29, 2012, 04:51:52 AM

Retreat is pretty handy. I've been using Greatsword/Sword and Torch, both have a close and a bit of aoe, decent all-arounders for offensive play.

I am getting to the point where I want three weapon swaps with Guard. Mace and Shield for heals and defense rocks, Hammer is insanely fun with some utility, and sword and torch for speedy dps and setting shit ablaze. Mace is slow as hell, but the utility and heals are nice and have saved my ass a couple of times. Hammer is great for AoEing stuff quickly and snaring runners. But for some reason sword and torch I want just because I keep getting green swords to drop for me and the temptation of the higher dps and the insanely fun yoga flame thing are too great to bear.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: August 29, 2012, 06:42:07 AM

Well as a group they (the groups on Henge of Denravi) have a lot of experience doing this form of zerg PvP.   What server are you on with the Goons?   This is the sort of thing that pisses me off about the server restrictions.  I'd love to have a character playing in that fight occasionally.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #78 on: August 29, 2012, 07:20:26 AM

I guess this release reminds us how bad RvR is without elo matching.

"Me am play gods"
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: August 29, 2012, 08:06:19 AM

It has elo matching, but it will take a few weeks for it to successfully calculate.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #80 on: August 29, 2012, 08:42:47 AM

lol, what?

They said specifically said they were re-match every 24hrs until the populations settle.  This worked well in the BWEs. But they haven't doing it and so we are stuck with a bunch of sever mismatches. Its no fun when you can't leave you your portal keep without being swarmed.

Personally, I think they should re match, every 5 to 7 days at random so people can't game resets.

"Me am play gods"
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: August 29, 2012, 09:48:23 AM

lol, what?

They said specifically said they were re-match every 24hrs until the populations settle.  This worked well in the BWEs. But they haven't doing it and so we are stuck with a bunch of sever mismatches. Its no fun when you can't leave you your portal keep without being swarmed.

Personally, I think they should re match, every 5 to 7 days at random so people can't game resets.

Once the population settles and they stop 24 hour re-match, the rematch period is a week or so.  So every week you should be WvWing against a different server based on the WvW server ladder
WayAbvPar

Reply #82 on: August 29, 2012, 09:49:52 AM

Most goons are busily catassing through PVE and crafting, which at least partially explains the non-dominance in WvW.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #83 on: August 29, 2012, 10:19:43 AM

I bitched and moan in guild chat, but I'll just say it here.

It's fucking awful. It's bad and the the designers should feel bad for how little thought went into it.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 29, 2012, 10:24:35 AM

I bitched and moan in guild chat, but I'll just say it here.

It's fucking awful. It's bad and the the designers should feel bad for how little thought went into it.

I hope that you get as much derision as I did for saying a milder version of this earlier. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: August 29, 2012, 10:28:11 AM

Bah, I don't care if people knock me for thinking that. I'll go a step further.

The RvR here was a fucking afterthought. It's barely designed. The skills in the game don't match the nature of RvR and the map design is shit. The siege design is bad. The choice of having more NPCs/beasts on the battlefield is retarded.

It's complete trash.

If you like it, you have bad taste. Which is fine, I just want people to know that.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: August 29, 2012, 10:33:48 AM

This game is well designed for sport pvp.  The tournament/sport 5v5 pvp is very fun and thoughtful.  

Give that a shot but expect to be creamed until you get a feel for things.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #87 on: August 29, 2012, 10:59:52 AM

The RvR here was a fucking afterthought. It's barely designed. The skills in the game don't match the nature of RvR and the map design is shit. The siege design is bad. The choice of having more NPCs/beasts on the battlefield is retarded.

It's complete trash.

If you like it, you have bad taste. Which is fine, I just want people to know that.
Drama Queen

"Me am play gods"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: August 29, 2012, 11:38:32 AM

lol, what?

They HAVE been rematching. Usually about 15 minutes after I make it through the queue.  Shaking fist

WayAbvPar

Reply #89 on: August 29, 2012, 11:40:44 AM

It's complete trash.

I like the idea of the mobs in the PVP zone only if they give extra XP and better loot (ala DAOC). Just having them there to be filler/speedbumps is annoying.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 29, 2012, 11:48:32 AM

The mob camps with the little axes do serve a purpose in RvR - if you do their little event and claim them they'll send dudes off to attack objectives or whatever.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #91 on: August 29, 2012, 12:01:18 PM

They HAVE been rematching. Usually about 15 minutes after I make it through the queue.  Shaking fist
Then they are failing extremely hard it because Maguuma been playing the identical teams 4 days in a row and the score isn't resting.

"Me am play gods"
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: August 29, 2012, 01:37:12 PM

So what the hell is the point of these queues?  The map is HUGE and there's barely enough people to get a big fight going in one spot.   Nobody is going to bother attacking far away objectives when the map is freaking empty.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: August 29, 2012, 01:42:37 PM

You can upgrade the various keeps etc. to provide waypoints but I'm guessing no-one is doing that currently as the servers keep rotating the match resetting. In the beta it certainly made finding fights a lot easier.

(I do agree right now WvW seems to be 20 minutes of running through empty terrain followed by a short brief zerg battle, but a lot of my friends seem to be enjoying it a lot).
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: August 29, 2012, 01:49:52 PM

My experience so far: have no idea where anyone is because players aren't shown on map except for a small bubble. Run around until you find something. Fight and eventually get killed, run back for 5 minutes. Realize everyone moved on to wherever. Have no idea where anyone is.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 29, 2012, 01:58:09 PM

You could try asking.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: August 29, 2012, 01:59:04 PM

Also, eventually people will build teleport destinations.  Nobody is bothering yet because the maps are getting reset every day.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: August 29, 2012, 02:07:10 PM

You could try asking.

They were too busy shouting "build siege weapons!"
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: August 29, 2012, 02:08:11 PM

Also, eventually people will build teleport destinations.  Nobody is bothering yet because the maps are getting reset every day.

This makes sense.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: August 29, 2012, 06:01:39 PM

Well as a group they (the groups on Henge of Denravi) have a lot of experience doing this form of zerg PvP.   What server are you on with the Goons?   This is the sort of thing that pisses me off about the server restrictions.  I'd love to have a character playing in that fight occasionally.
Maguuma. I don't think there really are server restrictions right now though; pretty sure there's no cooldown on the free transfers.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #100 on: August 29, 2012, 06:32:31 PM

What are the WvW waittimes like on Gate of Madness?  How hard is it to change home servers?

I created my character on HoD because a bunch of friends in another guild were there and I wanted to check out WvW PVP, but the wait times for this stuff are nuts -- wondering if the official f13 server is a better experience for WvW...
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: August 29, 2012, 07:43:33 PM

I would hesitate to assume anything long-term about WvW queues/populations based on the first few weeks of new-shiny.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: August 29, 2012, 11:52:44 PM

It has elo matching, but it will take a few weeks for it to successfully calculate.

Yes it's almost like it has no ELO matching at all right?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: August 30, 2012, 06:51:36 AM

It's almost like they need data to do matching.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: August 30, 2012, 06:52:58 AM

It's almost like they need data to do matching.

The data won't tell them much yet.  People are still learning how to play their classes and working out strategy.  I'm going to play the tournament style to work on my skirmish skills and go back to WvW when the game has had a little time to settle in.

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: WvW Thoughts  
Jump to: