Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Random, Newbish Questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random, Newbish Questions  (Read 46712 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #140 on: August 05, 2012, 02:11:48 AM

Mechanically speaking there was nothing about the dungeon that was tremendously different than a WoW 5 man, including 'complicated' boss mechanics, pretty much every dungeon in WoW (added post TBC) has a guy or 3 as complicated as him. Hide behind rocks, run out of AE. Even at least some the noob dungeons do more complicated things than they used to. They do voiceovers and cut scenes now too in places. (SWTOR obviously does this as well, and I still find the fact that they're participatory a huge advantage but I know that's not important to everyone.)

The 'surprise!' mob has been done a number of times in other games I've seen, the one that leaps to mind first is Anub'Arak collapsing the arena in WotLK (granted, that was a raid.) Stonecore does it towards the start of the instance, with the big worm that suddenly eats that poor evil gnome.  Deadmines on heroic has a pretty crazy version of the 'surprise fight' with the whole dream sequence obstacle course thing. City of Heroes likes to ambush you during taskforces (what I would consider the closest thing to group dungeons in that game) - probably the best handled 'Surprise!' I've seen in an MMO to date still is the Babbage ambush that hits you when you think you're safely traveling from one door mission to another.  If I thought about it more I expect some others would come to mind. SWTOR's surprises tend to be more dramatic/narrative surprises than "hey look an extra boss!" and I won't spoil any here. I swear it happened to me in Guild Wars (1) a couple times but I can't remember where off hand.

There were a few trash mobs.  tongue But yeah that was a decent change, probably the one thing that really stood out to me. And obviously I do like the lore entries, I wish every game had collectible journal entries like this/SWTOR/WAR (CoH badges are a less exciting proto-version. WAR still did this best I think (oh god I praised WAR.))

I'm not saying the dungeon wasn't a good one, but it wasn't out of line with the current level of polish other companies are doing in this area (and in some cases have been doing for a while, Arthas chasing you around the Halls of Reflection comes to mind.) Probably would have helped if it was in a more interesting looking location, soggy shipping containers are hard to make look cool.

Really I should just stop being startled by your enthusiasm.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:19:29 AM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #141 on: August 05, 2012, 02:19:04 AM

The CoX ambushes were always a little rude when an ambush would spawn as the hero it was INTENDED for superjumped/flew/ran away, completely oblivious, while much lower heroes suddenly got smeared across the asphalt. <3

God Save the Horn Players
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #142 on: August 05, 2012, 02:45:13 AM

Ingmar, we just have very different tastes. Not sure if you were enthusiastic about it but you liked SWTOR. Me and you are from different planets.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #143 on: August 05, 2012, 06:00:32 AM

I am pretty sure everyone and their cat is aware of this, but the celebration weekend is about to end. Reward for finishing 30 missions before monday:

• 1200 bonus points (worth €10 in Funcom points)
  • a t-shirt

Official info below spoiler:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:02:24 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #144 on: August 05, 2012, 08:43:31 AM

Speaking of lore, looks like I missed one in Polaris. So I guess I need to run that again. And probably the motel room 13 one, too (since I just started Blue Mt).
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: August 05, 2012, 08:47:58 AM

Speaking of lore, looks like I missed one in Polaris. So I guess I need to run that again. And probably the motel room 13 one, too (since I just started Blue Mt).

For Polaris did you kill the guy under the stairs after the first boss? I think he spawns after you go up them.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: August 05, 2012, 09:01:47 AM

I want to change my build. I just hit level 4 or whatever. I started out fists/blood, then switched to AR/blood. Now I want to try Ele/AR, because I want to kill things faster, and because I seem to have very little crowd control.

Should I go back to Kingsmouth and redo quests there in order to get AP/SP? I've been struggling somewhat in Savage Coast with some of the quests (they all con hard to me), and I figure it's because I changed skills.

(Jack's Back quest, and the side quest near it at the end were horribly hard; I finished the first but not the second).
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #147 on: August 05, 2012, 09:06:36 AM

It would be radically faster to go back to kingsmouth and redo the quests for ap and loot.  Pick up the QL3 weapon for your new choices too.  You will want to max out the entire inner ring at some point anyways, may as well save your ar/blood talents.

Friends don't let friends reroll in TSW.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #148 on: August 05, 2012, 09:11:25 AM

The way I figure it is eventually I'll want *all* the skills, or at least will want outer ring skills from most of the weapon types, so I'd never want to start over and throw away that AP. 

I've found that the game is pretty good about providing a lot of repeatable quests, so stopping moving forward or taking a slight step back and building up AP / items / coins is not terrible. 
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: August 05, 2012, 09:38:22 AM

It would be radically faster to go back to kingsmouth and redo the quests for ap and loot.  Pick up the QL3 weapon for your new choices too.  You will want to max out the entire inner ring at some point anyways, may as well save your ar/blood talents.

Where do I pick up a QL3 weapon? I tried to buy something on the auction house and it did not work. I remember getting one in a quest but forget which quest (Polaris maybe?). Are dungeon quests also repeatable?

Yeah, I wasn't planning on rerolling. That would be silly, I already have 3 inner rings practically completed.

I like the idea of AR/blood more than I like the reality of it. Maybe I just don't have enough in it yet.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #150 on: August 05, 2012, 10:26:37 AM

You can buy good weapons at the council of Venice merchants with Sequins of Solomon Island tokens. That's the easiest way to get decent weapons. Also, Polaris always proved 1 or 2 QL3 Blue weapons, on top of the automatic one you get as a reward for completing the dungeon the first time.

Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: August 05, 2012, 11:35:38 AM

I think one of the missions from Danny awards a QL3 weapons as well doesn't it?
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: August 05, 2012, 11:37:53 AM

I think it's the missions near Danny, at the Orochi camp up north near Polaris, and the ones at the airport in the hangar. They're repeatable as well. otherwise, use some materials and ql3 weapon blueprints and craft a weapon of your choice
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #153 on: August 05, 2012, 12:26:46 PM

Rerolling was the best thing I did.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #154 on: August 05, 2012, 07:07:10 PM

Where do I pick up a QL3 weapon? I tried to buy something on the auction house and it did not work. I remember getting one in a quest but forget which quest (Polaris maybe?). Are dungeon quests also repeatable?

Yeah, I wasn't planning on rerolling. That would be silly, I already have 3 inner rings practically completed.

I like the idea of AR/blood more than I like the reality of it. Maybe I just don't have enough in it yet.
As others have said it is Danny's sabotage mission.  The auction house doesn't work very well, there is a fan made mod to fix it.  I don't know why funcom can't fix something as important as the auction house before a fan...

I would not spend your tokens on the ql3 weapon from the council vendor, wait and buy the ql6 in blue mountain, they both cost the same number of tokens.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Random, Newbish Questions  
Jump to: