Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Random, Newbish Questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random, Newbish Questions  (Read 45970 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 30, 2012, 02:43:24 PM

Is there some magic secret when it comes to equipping something or moving something into a slot? I have to try several times before it takes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #71 on: July 30, 2012, 02:44:17 PM

I just right click things (note there is no warning if you do this with a store window open.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: July 31, 2012, 09:36:31 AM

Is there some magic secret when it comes to equipping something or moving something into a slot? I have to try several times before it takes.

Nevermind!

My problem was in Disassemblying stuff in the crafter window. I didn't realize that some things can't be disassembled.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: July 31, 2012, 10:00:53 AM

If you're at the bank, you can move things from your bank to the crafting window, but you can't move stuff from there to your bank, you have to put it in your inventory first.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: July 31, 2012, 06:27:24 PM

I did notice a wierd bug I think. I had a stack of 3 QL5 weapon kits I was trying to add to the cabal bank. There was a stack of 17 QL5 kits there. I dragged my stack onto that stack, but I don't think it took. I lost my 3 but the cabal stack didn't go up to 20. Which is a shame because I had those three because I took them from the cabal bank.

Now, random newb question:

Does the Dodge effect only work at the moment the key is pressed and the rest of the timer bar is just countdown timer to refresh? Or does the countdown bar signify you're in a "Dodge" state ala Evade+? I think it's the former but I wanted to be sure.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #75 on: July 31, 2012, 06:30:38 PM

The former, it's instant and has a recharge time.
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: August 01, 2012, 04:53:35 AM

I did notice a wierd bug I think. I had a stack of 3 QL5 weapon kits I was trying to add to the cabal bank. There was a stack of 17 QL5 kits there. I dragged my stack onto that stack, but I don't think it took. I lost my 3 but the cabal stack didn't go up to 20. Which is a shame because I had those three because I took them from the cabal bank.

Now, random newb question:

Does the Dodge effect only work at the moment the key is pressed and the rest of the timer bar is just countdown timer to refresh? Or does the countdown bar signify you're in a "Dodge" state ala Evade+? I think it's the former but I wanted to be sure.

I think if you check back later you will find that there are 20 in the stack. It just takes forever to update.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: August 01, 2012, 08:58:19 AM

So how do I increase my damage output? Via weapon upgrades, or new skills, or does it happen when I level?

I really haven't done much reading about the mechanics of this game (as usual!) but am really enjoying muddling through.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: August 01, 2012, 09:05:42 AM

Weapon and talisman upgrades. Attack rating, penetration, hit rating.

Skills aren't necessarily higher DPS as you go from newbie to advanced skills. Rather they have more secondary effects and you improve DPS by combining skills so they add to the above based on what effects you do. Like one skill causes the target to be afflicted and another skill causes you to gain penetration against afflicted targets.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #79 on: August 01, 2012, 10:10:26 AM

So how do I increase my damage output? Via weapon upgrades, or new skills, or does it happen when I level?

I really haven't done much reading about the mechanics of this game (as usual!) but am really enjoying muddling through.
Improve your weapon skills, too. I'm in a more or less QL3-4 area (SC) and my pistol skills is QL 5 or 6 and I snuck across Blue Mt to get QL 6 pistols, which really amped up my dps.

You should check out the mechanics, there area some odd little twists to how things work together.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: August 01, 2012, 10:18:20 AM

Learn to differentiate between builders and finishers.  You'll find a lot of stuff like "on a hit, u get a crit counter" then you'll find stuff like "on a crit, you'll hinder," and stuff like "if hindered then afflict."  And on and on.   Right now my best attk relies on 4 active abilities and 3 passives.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: August 02, 2012, 01:35:32 PM

Yeah, I am reading all my abilities and skills and using them in combo correctly. (I'm fists/blood with most of the inner rings bought).

It just seems like it takes a long time to kill easy mobs. They don't kill me either but it's not quick. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or not.

I think my weapons are L1 or L2, so I've only trained up those things to L2. Would training higher than the items make my skills more effective?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 02, 2012, 01:36:48 PM

From what I can tell the passive benefits from having the weapon skills at higher level are really, really small, which is a big contrast to the talisman passives. Stuff just takes a while to die in this game when you're solo.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #83 on: August 02, 2012, 01:44:22 PM

There is so much that can be optimized, but because of the complpexity of the system it's hard to help others unless they are using your same weapon combo that you are an expert at. All I can tell you is that with pretty much all weapon combinations you should be able to kill even level mobs in a couple of rotations, meaning 15 seconds top, but ideally 7 to 10 seconds. This is my experience with many "early" builds, cosidering beta too. That is, of course, unless you are going very tanky or veary healy, in which cases obviously your kill-time is going up.

Creating synergies between your weapons and their passives, and developing a rotation you get comfortable at dishing out efficiently is the key to destroy simple, predictable mobs. I am sorry I am not very useful, and I agree with everyone else when they say the game does NOTHING to help you understand how to optimize your dps, but the bottom line is that the bottleneck is "you" (not you you), and you have to find ways to release your character's full potential. Which is to devastate even conning mobs very quickly.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 02, 2012, 03:58:28 PM

Stuff just takes a while to die in this game when you're solo.
9 seconds in SC. It was maybe 14s in Kings. Also, having weapons skills at or above a region's overall QL means less glancing, which is huge.

Best advice I can give is to pick a thing and stick to that until it works really well, then start branching out a bit. You should really stick to an overall theme (Bryn's is pistols, crit, attack, hit) and build around that for a while. Pick a trinity fork and gear for it (gear is split into dps/heal/tank), Bryn is pure dps. Focus on one half of the weapon skill duo (they are all split into a dps/other format, choose dps for solo) and the three talisman groups.

That should get you through SC, you should have enough AP/SP by the end of SC to start experimenting outside the basic setup. Don't forget to spend some time practicing rotations on mobs until you get one you like.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #85 on: August 02, 2012, 06:25:32 PM

Yeah, I am reading all my abilities and skills and using them in combo correctly. (I'm fists/blood with most of the inner rings bought).

It just seems like it takes a long time to kill easy mobs. They don't kill me either but it's not quick. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or not.

I think my weapons are L1 or L2, so I've only trained up those things to L2. Would training higher than the items make my skills more effective?
Fist blood are two healer weapons so you won't die but it will take a long time to kill stuff.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #86 on: August 02, 2012, 07:41:49 PM

Well, early on your builds won't synergize well, even when you pick two that go together really great.  AP takes a little while to ramp up, but by the time you finish the first story arc, it stops being much of an issue.

In this game, you never really kill shit quick.  At least I don't.  It's not like in other MMOs, where a normal mob usually kicks it with your first finisher.  But with different weapons and skill choices you can trend closer to survivability, sustain, or burst. My hammer/shotgun build does steady damage and reduces the effectiveness of my target by a lot.  In contrast, my elem/AR build hits like a goddamn semi-truck (even without a blue elem focus), but gets hit hard back.

Raising your weapon skill higher than your equipped weapon will have two benefits: your passive will increase in power (this gets more noticeable as you get higher) and you'll glance less.  It's like being higher level compared to what you're fighting. Generally though, if you're at or little above what you can get as far as weapons go, you're doing fine.  Raising your talisman skills might give more tangible solo benefits as you'll get free defensive stats and HP.

-Rasix
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #87 on: August 03, 2012, 03:37:09 AM

So, I've done pretty much all the missions in Kingsmouth -- there's one by the scrapyard and one or two around the airport that I can't pull off -- monsters con red and seriously mess me up.  My main quest line (Illuminati) is at 8/16 () and the reward message implies I'm not ready for the next stage yet, which I agree with.

Mostly QL2 gear, lacking in glyphs, have a QL3 AR and Sword, but survivability on reds is lousy.  SP is at 2 across the board (weapons and talismans).  I have the entire inner ring of AR and elemental unlocked, almost all of blades, and a couple outer ring AR skills.

Should I be farming for better talismans?  Crafting?  Raising SP?  I feel like there are a *lot* of variables here.  I'm under the impression that raising SP will "improve" the con (red may become orange, etc) but by itself won't significantly alter my damage or healing -- just my ability to equip better gear, right?
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #88 on: August 03, 2012, 03:41:32 AM

Try dipping your feet into the next zone. It might not be as impossible as you think, QL3 weapons should be fine.
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 03, 2012, 04:55:43 AM

Also if you want some relatively painless AP try Fusang PvP. As long as your side has enough people just run with the zerg and pick up the Facility Capture and Anima well capture and its 225K xp and some pvp tokens.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 03, 2012, 05:48:29 AM

Yeah, it's not horribly scary after all.  I am told the critters around the airport are for QL10ish endgame type stuff.  I definitely need to round out my gear and keep tuning my deck, but it's not a roadblock.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: August 03, 2012, 06:14:59 AM

It's sad that the main quest sends you to a new zone usually way before you are done with the current. Sure no one forces you to blindly push forward, but lots of people I know thought it was time to go just because the main quest said so, and as a result not only they ended up being severely underpowered, but they skipped a lot of content.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #92 on: August 03, 2012, 06:17:31 AM

Raising SP doesn't change the con level but it does let you use higher level talismans and weapons, once you equip those the con will change.  If you are in QL2 I don't think much should be conning red to you in Kingsmouth though.  There are two areas around the airport that are meant for QL10 geared people, don't mess with those at all, no quest you will get will make you face them either.  The caged in warehouse cargo type area of the airport is one, and the coast line on the north of the airport is the other.

Don't raise everything to level two with your sp, just focus on your talismans and the two weapons you actually use.  You get small benefits to raising them but more importantly it lets you equip better stuff.  Raise your weapons so that you can use QL6 gear (so you would need one of the two lines up to level 5), then once you have 50 tokens stick to the roads and sprint up to the trailer park in blue mountain to buy a nice blue QL6 weapon, remember to put a glyph in it.

If you like grinding you can kill hulks on priest island in Kingsmouth, they always drop something and in a couple hours you could have a full set of QL3 gear.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: August 03, 2012, 06:40:46 AM

It's sad that the main quest sends you to a new zone usually way before you are done with the current. Sure no one forces you to blindly push forward, but lots of people I know thought it was time to go just because the main quest said so, and as a result not only they ended up being severely underpowered, but they skipped a lot of content.

I'm pretty sure I got pretty good coverage of Kingsmouth.  Will have to loop back and double-check, but I've hiked all over it doing all kinds of crazy quests.   Though, hm, I should definitely hike around the waterfront just in case, didn't do much there.

Yeah, the areas near the airport were what had me thinking I still had work to do.   I'm only putting SP into my talisman skills and primary/secondary weapon skills as needed to equip the gear I have. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:43:12 AM by Quinton »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: August 03, 2012, 06:42:37 AM

Sure. Just be careful, the Main Quest pulls the same stunt in Savage Coast trying to push you towards Blue Mountain. Don't fall for it  why so serious?

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 03, 2012, 06:44:35 AM

I enjoy the quests too much to rush ahead to a new zone before having investigated everything in the current one.   No matter how snarky my Illuminati masters are about my random do-gooding, I will not foolishly rush ahead ^^
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: August 03, 2012, 07:04:26 AM

Raising SP doesn't change the con level
Sure does. I bumped my major talisman to 6 and BLAM a ton of blue con mobs around me, which had just been white. Since I'm still in QL4.5 gear, it's a bit misleading (as I found by trying to tackle the sleeping god which was green con).

Quinton, make sure to mark any quests you pass up at the time on the map. It's mostly set up to move you through things fairly linearly, but I poke around alot and come across a few here and there. I generally only advance the main quest when I've exhausted an area.

For QL3 farming, the golems between the scrapyard and airport were easiest for me, also good for mobility training.
I'm only putting SP into my talisman skills and primary/secondary weapon skills as needed to equip the gear I have. 
By primary/secondary do you mean on the same weapon or you're pursuing both weapons? If you advance both lines under a single weapon (the dps/support lines), it waters things down a bit. I found it best to focus on one weapon and talismans for Kings. Even though I'm 4/5 done with SC at this point, I've still let my Elemental lag a bit behind my primary stuff (as I only use one active Elem skill).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:07:58 AM by Sky »
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: August 03, 2012, 07:12:31 AM

Raising SP doesn't change the con level
Sure does. I bumped my major talisman to 6 and BLAM a ton of blue con mobs around me, which had just been white. Since I'm still in QL4.5 gear, it's a bit misleading (as I found by trying to tackle the sleeping god which was green con).

I read in that FAQ linked from the useful info thread that your "level" for the purpose of con is some combination of your two highest weapon skill levels and your talisman skill levels.  I also recall seeing monsters change to an easier con level after spending more SP.   It would seem like the downsides of spending SP before you have gear that it enables are less certainty about what difficult stuff is and less XP.

I'm only putting SP into my talisman skills and primary/secondary weapon skills as needed to equip the gear I have. 
By primary/secondary do you mean on the same weapon or you're pursuing both weapons? If you advance both lines under a single weapon (the dps/support lines), it waters things down a bit. I found it best to focus on one weapon and talismans for Kings. Even though I'm 4/5 done with SC at this point, I've still let my Elemental lag a bit behind my primary stuff (as I only use one active Elem skill).
I mean both my weapons (main and off hand).
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #98 on: August 03, 2012, 07:38:15 AM

Hmm yeah I was mistaken, it is just your SP ranks, not what you're actually wearing.

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:tswfaq#toc7
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: August 03, 2012, 08:46:55 AM

I mean both my weapons (main and off hand).
Ok, you should be good as long as you're not branching into both lines early on (both lines in a single weapon, I mean). One thing about focusing on mostly the pistols and talismans, I was able to sneak over to Blue Mt and get a QL6 pistol early on for SC which made things much easier. My talismans are lagging pretty good now, though.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52:50 AM

I'm spread a little thin due to investing AP and SP into Elementalism too.  I started AR+Elementalism and then shifted to AR+Blades, which feels a little more effective at the moment.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: August 03, 2012, 11:22:59 AM

Just so you know the areas with red mobs in them around the airport are not involved in any of the main quest stuff, nor in any of the quests you can get in Kingsport at your QL, so I'm not sure you should need to skip anything. You should also already be getting QL3 talisman rewards from a number of the quests in the 2nd half of Kingsport so you may have missed some stuff.

EDIT for Sky:

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: August 03, 2012, 01:23:57 PM

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: August 03, 2012, 01:32:21 PM

Uh, ok.  So I'm going through the Illuminati flashback thing and I tried to rearrange my shotgun skills.  One of them disappeared and I can't find any way to get it back again. The 'Character Skills' and 'Ability Wheel' menu things don't bring up any windows to get the skill back again.

Edit: also, is there any reason to *not* just leave sprint on all the time?

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: August 03, 2012, 01:33:31 PM

In the tutorial? Hmmm. Normally you'd just go into the character wheel and drag the skill down to the bar, but if that isn't available in the tutorial I'm not sure what you would do. ~FUNCOM~

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Random, Newbish Questions  
Jump to: