Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The War Z 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 68327 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: July 20, 2012, 08:07:29 AM

• Big open worlds to explore between 200 to 400 square kilometers
  • Two modes of play: Normal and Hardcore
  • Combination of first-person and third-person perspectives
  • Meld of PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player)
  • Strong Role Playing Elements
  • Multiple playable characters with customizable features
  • Unique social elements, including bounties, help requests, trap setting, etc.
  • Safe settlements where players can purchase, sell and store items as well as post notes for other players
  • Dozens of unique skills that can be learned and improved
  • Up to 250 players per game server
  • New weapons and items become available as players explore the game world
  • Full developer support with regularly scheduled, free content updates
  • Dedicated public servers as well as private servers that can be completely self-managed in game client
  • Single purchase, downloadable client with ability to play full game without subscriptions or requiring in-game transactions

The War Z describes itself as a “Survival Horror MMO that immerses players in a zombie-infested, post-apocalyptic world in which a viral outbreak has decimated the human population leaving, in its wake, a nightmare of epic proportion.” It’ll be available unbelievably soon: Fall 2012 for $30 (coincidentally, the same price of Arma 2: Combined Operations), and it won’t carry a subscription fee.

Source

Interviews poping up:

"interview with Arktos Executive Producer Sergey Titov and Hammerpoint Interactive Senior Game Designer Eric Nordin.":
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:17:19 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:59:18 AM

You might get away with that on a book, but with the WW-Z movie coming out, they're going to be buried by lawsuits.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:32:17 AM

*Shrug*

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:52:38 PM

Oh, wow.

More zombies.

Shocking.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 06:35:44 PM

Saw this on ActionTrip. The choice quote:

People around the world are hunting these “special” zombies, however they can only be found at night, and they are rare, so players will need to go to places where zombies gather in masses – namely – big cities, larger towns, etc. If you hunt these special zombies and extract the stem cells, you’ll be able to sell them to merchants at “safe settlements” for Gold Coins – the most valuable currency in the game.

So they've built grind into an "MMO" being developed to ape one of the grindy *ville games :)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 09:22:20 PM

Good, competition will spur both this and Day-Z to grow.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 12:21:38 AM

I'm just gonna err on the side of "Never going to be a game."

I do this for most titles these days.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 02:00:57 AM

I think the same of Day-Z.

There's also "Survivarium" by the guys who did stalker last I looked. Day-Z has proven there's the smell of money around the concept so people are going to angle for it.

- Simond
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 09:06:18 AM

Day Z wouldn't survive if you had to pay-to-play or could spend money to buy equipment, so I'm not sure how you'd earn revenue from it.

A once off $20 for the client works. A sub fee or cash shop would drive players away en masse.

In the zombie MMO front, there's also Jeff Strain's one (oh, that's where Sanya went) and at least one other.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 06:42:25 PM

People are paying 30$ for a fragile early alpha mod on a clunky platform... I think we'd be surprised how many people are willing to reach for the wallet if they get sucked into something. Especially if they can see or get advantage from what they just bought.

I'm still not sure the zombie idea can have story longevity. Attempts to have progression like the "serum" idea just sound sort of corny and change zombies from horror to farmable mobs. Day-Z hasn't even begun to explore this. Still, zombies = money so hopefully something good will come of it.

The Day-Z forums having a "They ripping us off!" fest when this title, being a game, quite probably has been in development longer is pretty funny. Yeah, Rocket got out first because you can't beat the development time of a mod, go figure.

- Simond
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 07:59:57 PM

I love post apocalyptic settings in movies, books and games.  I hope this turns out really cool, but I have some doubts:

- never heard of Arktos
- trying to capitalize on the whole "Z" theme (even if it is just the name) seems kinda cheap and doesn't bode well for their creativity
- fall 2012 is coming up pretty damn fast for a release date when people are just now hearing about this MMO project

Anyway, here's hoping they pull something awesome off, cause I'd like to give it a try.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 07:54:42 AM

The first part, is not an MMO I beleave.

NVM, im thinking of another title.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:09:37 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 08:09:56 AM

You might get away with that on a book, but with the WW-Z movie coming out, they're going to be buried by lawsuits.

that movie looks awful...
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 08:11:43 AM

People are paying 30$ for a fragile early alpha mod on a clunky platform...

Clunky is not the word I'd go to for ArmA. Absolutely fucking horrific was more my thought.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 09:13:55 AM

Yes.
Here's another interview, with some screenshots.

This is also why we’re allowing players to rent their own servers and create their own private worlds with their own rules. Some will do just that—building their own virtual “strongholds” so to say and inviting other people to join as long as they are going to follow their rules. Some will band together into clans and will fight other clans—either on public or private servers.

This game sounds too good to be true. But competition is always good - the more the merrier.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 09:54:12 AM

Arktos Entertainment is pairing with Hammerpoint Interactive (no idea who they are, they claim some ties to World of Tanks and EA) for The War Z.

Apparently Arktos Entertainment's prior game is War Inc Battlezone, a free to play FPS shooter. I assume they're using many of the same assets.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 10:27:18 AM

Yes.
Here's another interview, with some screenshots.

This is also why we’re allowing players to rent their own servers and create their own private worlds with their own rules. Some will do just that—building their own virtual “strongholds” so to say and inviting other people to join as long as they are going to follow their rules. Some will band together into clans and will fight other clans—either on public or private servers.

This game sounds too good to be true. But competition is always good - the more the merrier.

The private server thing alone makes me at least interested.  I've been waiting for an "MMO" to officially support this kind of thing for ages.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 08:23:41 AM

Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 11:15:57 AM

Wow, that looks great for alpha footage.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 08:00:29 AM

Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 05:32:40 PM

So, uh, who wants to buy alpha/beta access?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 05:52:01 PM

I am tempted. Done. (The Euro to Dollar conversion helps me a lot in these silly purchases).
Also, this video answers a few legitimate questions about the differences between War Z and Day Z.

+ Love the "Time capsule" thing, it's really good for a sandbox. And yes, echoes of Demon's Souls.
- Sucks that there's no proximity voice chat. That would have made all the difference in the world.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:08:05 PM by Falconeer »

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 06:18:59 PM

I am tempted. Done. (The Euro to Dollar conversion helps me a lot in these silly purchases).
Also, this video answers a few legitimate questions about the differences between War Z and Day Z.

+ Love the "Time capsule" thing, it's really good for a sandbox. And yes, echoes of Demon's Souls.
- Sucks that there's no proximity voice chat. That would have made all the difference in the world.

Let us know. No way in hell I'd pay for a beta but I'm curious to see how it goes for you.

Edit: Ahhh...I see. You're buying the game and getting beta access as a perk if I'm reading their website right. That's cool I guess. The game looks interesting but still alot of unknowns for me to sink money in unseen. It also reads to me like it will potentially have rampant PKing which in this kind of environment makes sense but eh...

Edit 2: And a lockout if your character dies in normal mode up to 24 hours. Combined with open pvp. Yeah, that won't cause people to get pissed.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:51:01 PM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 07:41:45 AM

Hummm......

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 08:39:17 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 01:10:06 PM

That video is nice but clearly scripted. As someone else points out in the comments I wonder if there's any "psychology" layer in this game or if somehow they managed to lose that completely from Day Z along with the proximity voice chat. I really think the proximity voice thing is a HUGE deal, and going without it is a big step back from Day Z.

So yeah, decent video except for the fact that zombies don't look dangerous in the slightest, and that's not cool, and the four (probably scripted) victims feel like nothing but loot piñatas.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 04:10:23 AM

Sergei Titov revealing a few things, like:

- Zombies don't run here.
- Zombies can only be killed by destroying their brain with headshots, but a headshot doesn't necessarily kill a zombie in one hit.
- You can have little teddybears school backpacks.
- No firearms purchaseable with RMT. Only some melee ones and the usual amount of consumables (including barricades and barbed wire).
- "California" will be the second map to be released after "Colorado", sometimes in 2013.

Some more info scrounged around:

- There will be a reputation system. Somehow, bandits should be recognizable (Ultima Online?). That, according to the Wiki, means that players will acyually be able to belong to one of two factions, with different reactions from NPCs because of that.
- "Colorado" map is about 160 square KM (isn't Day Z Chernarus about 200?)
- Players will be able to build and create "mini-settlements" (no idea what that entails but judging from this barricades video probably not much.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:36:06 AM by Falconeer »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 07:12:12 AM

As exciting as this game looks on paper I can't shake the feeling that something is going to go horribly wrong.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 06:21:20 PM

What could go wrong with a zombie apocalypse?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 11:26:40 PM

Bugs as features.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 05:49:55 AM

You know what I'd love?

Ultima Online Zombies.

Oh, look.

http://www.uozombies.com

Wow, that was quick.

Ahem.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 06:12:15 AM

In all honesty, and I am gonna leave "The War Z" out of this, "Day Z" is pretty much UO with Zombies. Just in a different era.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 06:52:36 AM

You know what I'd love?

Ultima Online Zombies.

Oh, look.

http://www.uozombies.com

Wow, that was quick.

Ahem.

Sounds cool Az, I may have to re-install UO!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 06:57:52 PM

Supposedly alpha starting on Oct 15th, I have 3 keys but I don't really care so first 3 ppl to message me get them if you are interested.

edit: ALL OUT
enjoy
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:15:25 PM by Speedy Cerviche »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 03:02:39 PM

Ocotber15th Release notes.
Sergey has spoken. All preorderees and their guests will be in by tomorrow night (although with a 99% chance of broken servers and stuff).

Ocotber 15th - Release notes
It's sunny day here in Los Angeles, but we're still in the office crunching to get game out by tomorrow.

Today we're setting up serviers, uploading game files to CDN and prepping us and our pet zombies for Survivors invasion that will happen on October 15th afternoon Pacific standard time here in United States. For our overseas players - PST time zone is -8 hours to GMT.

Do we expect bugs - YES we do. We're like 99% sure that game will be broken by our players on day one , and we're like 60% sure that we'll have some server issues  

For that I personally appologies to you, if your first day experience will be lets say not as fun as you've expected. Lets assure we'll be there to fix it ASAP.

I'll keep you updated on status of game deployment thought today and tomorrow.

Here's our Alpha roadmap :

- Map -we're starting with around 30% of the map available on October 15th, and will unlock more areas up to full map unlocked few days before October 31st.
- We'll start with 30 players per map and will be gradually increase number of slots on daily basis ( as we unlock more space on map ) up to 70-100 per server.
- Marketplace will be almost useless at this stage. We'll have very few GC items, most items will be priced in "Dollars" - and only way right now to obrtain dolalrs is to hunt zombies in large cities - ie - super rare.
- Missions won't be available until we'll know what servers dynamics are, so hopefully around Octgober 25th.
- We've UNLOCKED safe settlements, removed any protection, as well as NPC services. So for first two weeks they're YOURS to conquer, build your own barricades and beses. Enjoy !
- Notes, barricades, building blocks are all in, they're extremely rare
- Weapons are rare, ammo is super rare - so expect more use melle weapons
- Weapons attachments are EPIC and rare - so if you'll find one - HOLD ON to it.

Things that WON'T be available till very end of Alpha or past October 31st beta release :

- Freiends and Clans
- Leaderboards
- Renting servers
- Stronghold servers

Basically we really want to make sure that by November you all will have same footing in a game, and also we'll fix all bugs that can hinder premium services like renting servers and strongholds stability. We don't want you to waste money, but more importantly we don't want you to have subpar experience for the paying services in a game.

So - sometimes tomorrow ( mean USA monday, not EU one  ) we'll post client to http://www.thewarz.com/download

Feel free to spread it as wide as possible - upload to sites, torrents, etc. To play game you'll need to have valid serial key, so we're okay with free distribution of the game client.

to be continued !
Last edited by sergeytitov; Today at 08:59 PM.
Sergey Titov
Executive Producer
The War Z

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The War Z  
Jump to: