Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The War Z 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 68329 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 04:00:30 AM

Some random info I scavenged on the official forums.

On Hardcore and Normal mode:

Both normal and Hardcore characters will be playing on same servers, and there'll be no visual differences between those characters. Ie - you can't say who's playing Hardcore or Normal just by looking on them.

There'll be special servers that are reserved for Hardcore survivors only. Those servers will be exactly same as other public servers, but they will feature spawns of rare weapons and items, not available on "mixed" servers.

Main difference between two modes comes at how death of the character is handled. In both modes when you die, you lose your backpack. But in case of Hardcore mode your death will be also permanent for your character - ie character with all of his stats, etc will be deleted. You'll have to create new character and start from the beginning - spawning at initial zones, with all skills/trainings gone, etc.

Normal characters on other hand will be just put into "lockdown" for certain period of time - we're testing how long it'll be, for now that time is set to 24 hours of real world time. Once "revived" your character will be able to continue to play from approximately same location where he died, all hist skills/stats will remain same.

We're discussing right now if there'll be other differences between those two game modes, and here's list of what we want to try ( but not sure if it'll go into final game or not ) :

Other Hardcore mode features :
- Gain Experience faster
- gun crosshair is not rendered, ie need to use aim mode and real ironsights or optics to aim
- Information about how many bullets left in magazine is not displayed
- slightly different Skill Tree

Seems that on top of braggin rights, there's some basic form of risk vs reward mechanism in choosing to be Hardcore.

This is an interesting read on hacks and cheats, and how they are trying to prevent them. I like this Titov guy as he seems weirdly transparent. It could be a smokescreen, but at least it's entertaining, broken English included.

Hacks & Cheats - how to beat The War Z !
There's single worst problem that massively multiplayer online game can have - hacking. Game can look like shit, game can be unbalanced, game can be glitchy by itself, game can be not fun. But hacks are that will kill that online game. As soon as hacks start widespreading, players will stop playing game.

So fighting hacks are top priority for every game developer. Simplest approach is to use one of the comercially available "shield" programs - punkbuster, SShield, etc. Biggest problem with it, is that those programs are basically cookie cutter solutions that won't really protect your game. they will make it harder to hack it, but they won't stop cheaters or hackers.

There's only solution that works like 100% of the time and can't be hacked - for a game to process all of the game logic on server. Ie - just make your client to be dumb rendering "terminal". This approach will work for certain type of slower games - like League og Legends for example ( yet still you can create Bots - programs that are basically send keyboard and mouse commands to the game, emulating real person playing game ). it won't work for fast paced COD or CS style shooters, since those games are all about reaction time. And you can't process everything on server because of network lag. So you have to do some calculations on client and this is how hackers and cheaters will attack the game.

We first encountered massive hack attacks on our engine, when Online Warmongers Group released open beta of War Inc on Steam. On day one they've got around 300,000 registered users, so less than in a week after that both amateurish and professional hackers have delivered first versions of hacks and cheat programs. We ( tech guys at Arktos Entertainment - mothership for both studios - Online Warmongers and Hammerpoint ) have already protected base parts like calculating damage, processing what weapons you own and can use, ammo count, etc on server - so you wasn't able to create super gun or access items that you don't own for example.

Yet - speedhacks, teleports, wallhacks, aimbots, instant reloads, things like that started popping up.

We've fixed speedhacks, teleports, and people who basically kill players from other side of the map first. We also have fixed all small hacks like setting spread for guns to zero, negating effects of recoil, etc.

We've added layer of defense by running part of the client in safest low level "ring" of windows, encrypting memory areas - ie making it's extremely hard to create new hacks.

And it worked ! We basically emilinated all major game ruining hacks.

Our next step was to create early detection system - system that will allow us to detect if certain types of hacks are used and to automatically ban players who're using hacks or cheat programs. As of today this detection system is able to detect roughly 99% of all hack attempts and either will ban users automatically and kick them from server, or will notify GMs about hack attempt.

It will even detects system level hacks like wallhacks and aimbots, by analyzing tons of realtime data and matching it to certain patterns. Once those types of cheats are being detected, information is sent to our GMs, who can act upon it.

And it's funny nowdays to see people advertising paid cheat programs for War Inc, and read feedback from people who bought them and either found they never worked as advertized ( ie pure scam for money ) or they being banned as soon as they started using them.

Overall work that been done developing and perfecting this system for War Inc Battlezone ( www.thewarinc.com ) have layed out foundation for Version 2 of our "Shield.net" project that we're going to use for The War Z.

Since The War Z is a much slower paced game, we've been able to move more calculations to server side and for those we still have to do on client side, we have enough time to validate them before accepting information received from client or rejecting it.

Yes we know that there'll be more hacking attempts, there'll be new holes that we'll have to patch, but this is why we have dedicated coding team that sole goal is to fight hacking attempts.
Sergey Titov
Executive Producer
The War Z

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 03:24:07 AM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 05:46:27 AM

Yeah, that's a good summarization of the first 12 hours of the game impact with a bigger audience. Basically the official forums are ablaze with people complaining that the game is a mess and that "but it's Alpha!" is not a valid excuse. That picture, which has been partially explained with the fact that some of the designers were involved in League of Legends development, is being used as a symbol of the fact that the whole game is a hoax and that greedy developers are just trying to scam impatient players.

The only part I agree with is the one about players being impatient, overall, especially considering that a big loud majority is complaining about being murdered "too much" in the starting zones (in a no rules PVP game, feh...), but I agree that the League of Legends fumble itself is pretty ludicrous.
About the game, I'm gonna put some hours into it in the next few days so expect something more solid than just kiddie rage.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 06:55:14 AM

"but it's Alpha!" is not a valid excuse.

Its not? I mean they did predict having issues.

Do we expect bugs - YES we do. We're like 99% sure that game will be broken by our players on day one , and we're like 60% sure that we'll have some server issues  

Lets not forget, this game is courting possibly one of the most anti-social and foul mouthed groups there is. Each one is a unique, highly skilled killer.  why so serious?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:58:08 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 07:08:57 AM

Oh it is a super valid excuse to me! It is not to a lot of people that in my opinion keep misunderstanding this new marketing/funding the indie way that is just one step away from Kickstarter. Developers ask you to pay for the right to access an Alpha/Beta of a product that has little money to begin with. How can you realistically expect to have an enjoyable alpha/beta experience? Beats me.

I am not saying people shouldn't have negative opinions about the game based on alpha/beta, I am saying they should not expect and DEMAND fun in alpha/beta.
They should expect a buggy as hell experience, and they should consider that even the design decisions they do not agree with might change by the time the Devs say "Launch!".

That's the problem though, money bring entitlement, and too many feels that 20$ are a fair price to purchase the right to talk shit.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 07:26:05 AM

Eh, there seems to be a wave of real betas happening lately, something that did not really happen before in recent history. I think its more of an indicator that the definition of Alpha and Beta have changed. Adding money on top does complicate things though.

Don't get me wrong, this game could really be a pile of shit when completed. I just think what we are seeing is a symptom of all those "betas" recently that have been little more than hype trains. Tossing in small development crews that may have made a game before, or on the first, also does not help. The bar is set to high for them. And they need that kind of Alpha/Beta for inspiration, feedback and to work out the kinks using outside the shop players.

Anyway, I glossed over the forums. All I see is the Typical "Open PvP" crowed being unique snowflakes again.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:27:52 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 07:31:00 AM

I agree with you completely. Also, the new fad is to instantly label anyone anyone who understands the concept of betatesting a fanboi, automatically killing any possible dialogue.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 16, 2012, 07:34:21 AM

Yes, I have seen that a lot. Oh well, The pendulum swings.

I gave this one a miss, but really do like the idea of a more accessible DayZ. So, let us know how it goes. Day one issues are really no surprise to me at all. Nor is the copy pasta of the EULA, we have all seen that before.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:35:56 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 11:26:56 AM

Edit: Nevermind.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012, 11:34:55 AM

Day One - 15,000 concurrent users

We've locked at 15,000 concurrent users. Tomorrow we're going to start more instances and will try to get to 30,000 CCU. Thank you for your patience if you having problems get into the game today !

We've peaked at slightly over 20,000 users less than an hour after launch, but will have to lock down at 15,000 since we wanted to make sure that servers are not going overload our backend. We're going increase number of available servers daily, so hopefully by mid week it won't an issue anymore.

Not bad numbers really.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 16, 2012, 01:40:08 PM

I gotta say though, 15000 concurrent users online, 13000 of which very unsatisfied with the game, based on forum flames.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #46 on: October 16, 2012, 06:14:48 PM

That's the problem though, money bring entitlement, and too many feels that 20$ are a fair price to purchase the right to talk shit.

If the devs want money and offer a pay-for-beta experience, they should expect the abuse. Especially when their closest competitor is better polished at (last I checked) the same price (if you were to buy ArmA2).

When you take people's money, the situation changes. They aren't your testers, they are now your customers.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 16, 2012, 11:11:15 PM

I am sure they expect the abuse, but an abuser is an abuser and that's the big deal. I can expect a violent asshole to punch my face if I stare at him too long at a traffic light, but he's the one that sucks at being human, not me.

EDIT: Hyperbole aside, I really think that enabling a juvenile behaviour and shifting its weight on the shoulders of the receiver of it is fucked up.

Also, as a customer of an alpha/beta product you are entitled a broken piece of software that you are supposed to help fix, not an entertaining game that you are supposed to play. That second part is what customers of the final product are entitled to.

MORE EDIT:

Speaking about money, this just in:

As I posted before - from over 100,000 users, we've had 58 requests for refund. And we granted refund to all of those 58 guys.

If you like to get refund - no problem - ask your payment provider for refund. They'll contact us ( paypal, etc ) and we'll accept this refund. Your account will be deleted and you'll never be able to buy this game again. Problem solved.

As for doing nothing - we have close to dozen people working literally day and night to fix bugs.

Sergey Titov
Executive Producer
The War Z

Also, 100k "users"? What the hell is he talking about? I doubt they sold 100k preorder packages. Or did they?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:24:48 AM by Falconeer »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 07:43:35 AM

Your account will be deleted and you'll never be able to buy this game again. Problem solved.

That seems unnecessarily hostile, particularly when they just took the moral highground. 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 08:35:48 AM

Your account will be deleted and you'll never be able to buy this game again. Problem solved.

That seems unnecessarily hostile, particularly when they just took the moral highground.  

We have seen this before.

Day Z, Darkfall, Mortal online, and any other "Hardcore PvP full loot Permadeath" game. The crowed and developers are closer than most in terms of personality. I suppose I could say: "It takes a troll to make a trolls game.*

*I Happen to like PvP open world loot games personally. Even worked on one.

Especially when their closest competitor is better polished at (last I checked) the same price (if you were to buy ArmA2).

I Know its unreleased, but I think its true competitor is going to be the Day Z Standalone, not the mod. I'm sure I am splitting hairs. Now that rocket has the foce of BI behind him, and its not a one man job, we will see where the chips fall.

Right now we have a Re-skin and tweaked WAR INC. made to emulate Day Z, and adds some things. And we have a ARMA 2 Mod that is now getting proper standalone development behind it.  Should get interesting.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:44:51 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 17, 2012, 08:48:18 AM

News Post:

Daily Update.
First of all crashes - most of them are associated with 32bit Os versions. We're going to release patch tonight that will hopefully eliminate crashes on 64bit Os, and will reduce it chances on 32bit OS.

Second - loots, killing zombies, etc. We've added few tweaks there, some of you already noticed that there're more loot spawned and it's easier to kill zombies. Still - AIM AT HEAD

Servers - bunch of new servers rolling out tonight, so hopefully it'll help.

Last but not least - billing bug :) - today bunch of people paid just once, but received between 10 to 30 keys :). We thought carefully about it and here's what we've decided - this is OUR fuckup, and your gain. Enjoy your keys, plus I just ask you - don't sell them - just give them away - easy come, easy go.

More updates coming.

Game Crashes and other bugs - PLEASE READ !!!

Survivors,

You've been faithful to us and unfortunately we let you down - looks like our game wasn't stable enough to sustains dozen of thousands players abusing it at same time :). Game stability is nowhere where it was when we had only couple hundred testers playing it for a few hours a day.

Right now we have over 20,000 players playing on GAME
SERVERS, and over 10,000 players trying to get into the game.

I personally apologies for current game build instability and let me assure you we're working non stop to make stable as soon as possible. I don't want even say "it's alpha" - alpha for me means game maybe in unbalanced, it may crash, but it should be generally stable.

As token of our gratitude we're going to unlock all game characters for you tomorrow.

Sergey Titov
Executive Producer
The War Z

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 17, 2012, 09:34:50 AM

So I played around with it a little bit and there's really not much to report yet considering how early in development it seems to be. Almost no subsytem is in place yet and it feels more like a tech-demo than a real game. Even fixing all the bugs (crashes, zombies stuck in place, sounds looping from nowhere) there's simply not much to do in the game yet. Wandering, trying to stay away from zombies and other players, looking for lootspawns, cursing thirst. Counter argument is that's exactly what Day Z is about but for some reason I keep thinking that the proximity voice chat is a very good portion of the success of Day Z for that alone produces more content than Developers could think of. This feels off in War Z as when you meet another player you have to stop and type (this doesn't work so well if you are supposed to keep an eye on them and a finger on the trigger during the interaction) instead of just talking and eventually roleplaying. I also think that Global chat is just terrible, but this is a pet peeve that I had in Day Z too. You should have to find a radio to have access to Global Chat, you know.

I also scouted the Marketplace, where you can buy stuff both with in-game money or actual currencies, and while it's absolutely not final I have a feel that it will break the immersion quite a lot.

There's some positives though: the graphics do a very good job, especially when it comes to view distance (you can really see zombies and other players from kilometers away, that feels awesome) and in general lighting is really sweet. The day/night cycle is very pretty, and little touches like the cone of light of torches or the faint red reflection of a glowstick is pretty amazing. Nighttime is really scary and to see a few torches flash in the distance or hear a few gunshots from nowhere definitely keeps you on your toes no matter how old is your character.

In conclusion, in this stage the game looks pretty but can't be judged at all. Too much is missing (everything) and not much works. I'm afraid it'll take a long while before it'll have something to offer and by that time the Day Z standalone might be already out which is the winner by default for me due to the proximity voice chat (but not just).

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 18, 2012, 06:26:29 AM

There's a guy on Youtube that made a video a while ago attacking War Z based on some reaserch he made. He's a big Day Z lover so it sounds like he took the whole thing kind of personal. Here's one of the anti-War Z videos he posted a while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXKu5lV69V8

Now, the official War Z forums are raging with dissatisfied kids that keep bringing up Rhinocrunch's prophecies, to the point that Sergey Titov (War Z headmaster and producer) posted an open letter (and challenge) to this random internet guy. Here it is:

To our beloved hater RHINOCRUNCH - Open letter
Dear Rhino,

I really don't know why you hate us so much, so you have come up with so much lies and bullshit that doesn't survive even a minor fact check, but I firmly believe that people are good unless proven otherwise by a court or flashlight .

So if you're a man who stand behind his believes and his word, here's my offer to you - unedited realtime interview with you, where I will answer truthfully EVERY single question you will ask about The War Z. I can promise you only one thing - you'll get TRUE answers to all of your questions that are related to war z development.

For you this will be a moment of truth - to get me on record and broadcast it live to your audience, gain more viewers ( and more ad dollars - lets be honest - this is why you're doing all this right ?).

I know you're reading forums, I know you're PLAYING the game. In fact we know more about you than you think, so I know for sure you'll read this. But just in case I'm asking players who want to make sure rhino will read this - can somebody go and post link to this to his youtube page.

You can PM me or Kewk with subject "RHINOCRUNCH WANTS TRUTH".

I don't want to change your "religion" - I know you're super fan of DayZ who's hating us so much. But based on what other people who're doing business with you are saying, you also very "$$$ hungry" and looking for ways to expand your audience. Here's your chance. Be a man.

PS: btw if you want - we can do it at our office, sitting playing game and chatting.

Sergey Titov
Executive Producer
The War Z

Incidentally, and without taking anything away from the rest of the story, am I the only one that feels the bolded sentence is quite scary? Around here, we call that an "avvertimento mafioso", a mafia subtle threat.

EDIT: More from Sergey later on in reply to someone telling him to let go:

I personally don't give a shit, but it happens that I've invested my money into TWO different teams - ones making War Inc and other making War Z and another game. And he called them "child molestors" and scam artists. And they're pissed off.

So I'm doing this for them.

Sergey Titov
Executive Producer
The War Z

For completeness, I am hereby transcribing what Rhinocrunch said in his latest video, 2 days ago:

"You guys took the hearts and minds of children, and taking their money and hustle them you are the lowest form of scam on the Earth to me next to child molesters"

ACK!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:45:19 AM by Falconeer »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 18, 2012, 07:08:55 AM

Dude needs a break from the internet. Its just a game.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 18, 2012, 05:34:52 PM

Allegedly official figures.

some numbers for you guys :

Day 4 of public Alpha.
- over 100,000 active accounts
- over 86,000 playing DAILY
- over 22,000 playing at any given second ( CCU )

EDIT: Kind of cool video about paranoia, torchlights, violence and why this game needs voice chat so bad.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:56:39 PM by Falconeer »

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #55 on: October 22, 2012, 08:42:06 AM

It's obvious this wasn't in development for 2 years unless War Inc's dev was counted into it, and it's a pretty shameless grab at the DayZ phenomena but hollly shit "RhinoCrunch" or whoever is one of the best examples of why if YouTube is ever destroyed by copyright law it'll be a good thing for mankind.

Literally the epitome of douchebag, unfunny, annoying, self-righteous game streaming shit. Taking Total "I'm literally the least likable person on the internet" Biscuit's crown in the douchebag category.

"UH YEAH SORRY I KNOW A LOT OF YOU ARE REALLY YOUNG SO YOU DIDN'T SEE THIS COMING FROM A MILE AWAY LIKE US OLD SCHOOL GAMERS~"

Fuck yooouuuu die. How is it possible to be more white-noise than Pew-Die-Pie or whatever his name is?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 22, 2012, 08:54:20 AM

At least TB admits to catering to the lowest social denominator in order to earn some of that there internet moneys.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #57 on: October 22, 2012, 11:10:10 AM

Dear God, this Rhinocrunch dude needs to SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP. Fuck me, not only is he an annoying douchenozzle, he's seriously fucking unhinged.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 23, 2012, 12:16:10 AM

PvP players don't own PWN Noobs in game, they PWN on the internet too.

(didn't watch it, worked out after Day-Z I'm not a-social or egotistical enough for these sort of games.)

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 23, 2012, 01:06:15 AM

True story, noobs are asking VEHEMENTLY on the official forums for PVE only servers. In a PVP game. Dev denied the request, pretty much asking what the hell did they think they were buying.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 23, 2012, 06:42:03 AM

True story, noobs are asking VEHEMENTLY on the official forums for PVE only servers. In a PVP game. Dev denied the request, pretty much asking what the hell did they think they were buying.

I'm not surprised. I suspect that such a game would be even more popular since sheep eventually realize that they are not wolves, and this kind of game requires sheep. But sheep get tired of playing with the wolves faster than wolves get tired of playing with sheep.

Where is the zombie mmo that should have been made by now? Surely there's one.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 23, 2012, 06:55:27 AM

When there's a zombie MMO that actually encourages co-operation against the clear and present threat to all humanity I'll look again. At the moment the only people with a long term goal in these games are the griefers.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 23, 2012, 08:39:29 AM

Mostly griefers, but as I keep saying since 1998 there's a whole bunch of players who love ruthless PvP because it gives them feelings that they can't get aywhere else (videogame-wise). That doesn't really have anything to do with winning or losing.

The reason why this game, and Day Z, feel absolutely brutal and truly "survival" is not because of computer-controlled threats, it's because of other players. There's a million games where you can cooperate against the computer, and pretty much no one where you have to struggle to survive against... human nature. This has been the case since 1998 Ultima Online and it's no accident that these new -Z games revive some of those long lost feels...

Is it financially viable? Probably not. Eventually the investors will deal with that, we are just the gamers. (Anyway, looks like people will be able to "rent" their own password protected Trammels if they really want to roleplay with friends and keep PvP out of the door).
Is there people who want to play it? Absolutely.
Should people who like PvE approach these games? I can't see why they do, and they look quite silly to me when they do anyway and then go complaining on the forums against one of the game's main features.

Anyawy, this totally fits the setting. From any zombie movie all the way through Haneke's Le temps du loup and up to McCarthy's The Road, what you have to be really really afraid of is not anymore what annihilated your world. It's other survivors.

Beside, this game is all about co-op. Just not against the AI.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 23, 2012, 09:48:13 AM

A zombie themed open world game has plenty of potential because it presents as a dynamic, active, threat to be talen seriously. Without that you just have a static open world pvp game, which has become interchangable with static pve games now that you have plenty of both on the market.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 23, 2012, 12:24:11 PM

Ok so, earlier today the usual Sergey Titov, main Developer and producer of the game, raged on publically with a dev post stickied on the forum using homophobic language against the spawn campers that PK HIM all the time, and eventually announcing some hardcoded countermeasures to spawncamping. For the homophobia, I'd gladly smash his face with a bag full of days old pee, but this is unrelated.

!!! PK, spawn campers and PVP in general rant !!!

I'm trying to play at least couple hours a day every single day. Getting killed alot, but 80% of all kills are "honest" - I'm just being to careless. I'm not trying to hide. 20% are shitty kills by faggots who's spawn camping. Or by guys who just want to play shooter and shoot everyone on sight.

I like bandits who's killing me 80% of the time - they're adding athmosphere to the game - it's not just about zombies anymore, but also about freakin' hostile humans. And this is okay I guess.
Mindless kills and spawn camping are another story. Those ''people'' are just doing it for sake of ruining game for everyone, including themselves.

BTW if you have noticed, spawn camping rate went down a little since last patch. And in coming week we're moving to new spawn system, that will make it even harder to spawn camp.
We also preparing to open large portion of the map, which by itself will solve big chunk of PKing problem.
I hate to say "it's Alpha", but really it is . Ie - you won't even have access to full map, and more important without data we're getting right now, we won't be able to fine tune and balance game.

So bottom line - Alpha times are rough times, we just need get over it.

Sergey Titov
Executive Producer
The War Z

Not even thirty minutes later, the post gets doctored and the word faggot replaced with people. still, the damage is done, so he decided to apologise:

My Last post

Guys,

First of all I think I owe an apology to some of you - in my last post I called some bad names toward some of you. So I'm sorry for calling you that . I've edited my post, but here's reason why I did that,
I my recent few sessions I've been killed several time for no reason at all. I understand that this is part of gameplay, but yes I felt rage toward probably all PVP players at this moment

So I understand how player who you're killing all the time are feeling. And while as I've said I feel that PVP aspect is an imporant part of the game athmosphere, we'll continue to work to make sure that by the time we'll go to Beta and will allow many more players into the game, we'll have solid systems in place to mitigate PK and spawn camping.

Basically - in real life you won't probably shoot on sight. It make no sense to spend valuable ammo on target that may not be that valuable to you.
Our goal is to make sure that PLAYERS COOPERATION work in a game. And it not going to be be turned into another zombie shooter

Sergey Titov
Executive Producer
The War Z

So, I guess he "brain"stormed with his staff and they came out with a solution that seems to be of his liking. And the feared backpedaling from hardcore PvP starts, although probably not for the expected money reasons but to satisfy this angry manchild's nerdrage:

ALPHA FEATURE for PK, spawn campers

We're thinking about displaying small RED triangle over active PKers ( ie guys who're opn killing spree ) and over Spawn campers ( we have means to detect that activity ), also we're going display nametage when you will aim at them.
We're going to display it only for bandits near you, not all over the map.
"Good bandits' - ie ones who're actively playing game, not just doing only PKing will not have that thing.

Sergey Titov
Executive Producer
The War Z

This game is a nuthouse. I guess Day Z standalone can't come out fast enough.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 23, 2012, 12:34:53 PM

The red triangle will be a badge of honor.

Also, I just realized where I have heard this guys name before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rigs:_Over_the_Road_Racing

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 23, 2012, 12:50:37 PM

From Big Rigs wiki article:

The packaging of Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing states that the objective of the game is for the player to "[...] deliver illegal cargo, with cops chasing [them]"; however, in actuality, there are no police in the game or, seemingly, any objectives to complete. The packaging also states that the player must "race trucks across the country" while delivering such cargo; however, although computer-controlled opponent vehicles do indeed appear in the game, they have no artificial intelligence, and never move from their starting position.

There are technically no obstacles for the player to negotiate in Big Rigs, as the truck may freely be driven on and off roads without any loss of traction, up or down 90° slopes with no loss or gain of speed, through structures such as buildings and trees, simply falling right through bridges, and even out of the boundaries of the map into an endless grey void. When the player's vehicle is put into reverse, it can accelerate indefinitely, but the truck will halt instantly when the reverse key is released.
Though there appear to be five courses from which to choose, only four are playable. One of the maps, titled "Nightride", does not function and selecting it simply crashes or quits the game.[1] Upon completion of the race, the game displays a large three-handled trophy and the now infamous text "YOU'RE WINNER !"

And that idiotic Rhinocrap dude didn't even think of using this!

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 23, 2012, 12:53:49 PM

To be Fair, War.INC is not a Technical mess.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 23, 2012, 03:29:09 PM

Oh my, more clownshoes.
Rhinocrunch (with face and all this time) accusing the Devs of cheating (fast forward to about miute 6:00), and cornering them (not Sergey though this time, but a certain "RussianKaliber") into some public psychobabble.

Guys, here is the story to this video, i mean audio.

My biggest beef is -

Why dont they play the full audio ?

Why do they edit this in their favor. That is very very sad.

I've asked to upload the full audio clip since the start. Which is about what, at least 40 minutes (the event that took place), and there I explain why I wanted to punish the spawn camping fools that kill anyone that just spawns. Anyways.

On Sunday I was playing in a server with a bunch of awesome Role Playing gentlemen. We decided to take over a big supermarket and create a SURVIVORS base in there. I specifically announced on Global that we are looking for great team players, and friendlies to come and join our group. I gave people directions how to find us, and I told people I will have food, water, and even guns for them. We are still testing the guns and their functionality. Some people are reporting weird bugs with silencers, flash hiders and even scopes. So I also needed to see if those bugs are common amongst players.

Its also impossible to test Riot Shields and Barricades on a dev server because you dont get the "natural random game effect". You just get Devs testing what we know might not be working.

Anyways, almost everyone had zero problem in the server with me giving people rifles, ammo, and food. And I will stay by my words and actions "I will help any good player who is there to have fun time, role play, help and protect innocent others"

At some point during this time, 2 players begin complaining about Spawn Killings. Basically they just bought our game, joined, and they didnt even have a chance to step into the world, they were killed instantly on the spot.

I announced on GLOBAL "Guys, Please do not spawn camp and kill people on their spawns. I will not tolerate this !!!"

Instead of people listening to me and saying "sorry", the spawn killer replied to me with Racial insults. I didnt have admin controls to kick or ban him, so I warned him ONE MORE TIME.

2 minutes later, another person joins and gets killed at the spawn camp within first 4 seconds. This person was furious and typing "I cant believe I just joined, and didnt even walk 2 feet before getting killed. WTF kind of game is that?"

At this moment I was warning people to stop Spawn Killing again.

Somebody tells me on Ventrilo "Dude you should go up to that spawn killer and kill him. To which I said "Heh, I would love to, but we dont have the admin controls yet, and I will most likely be blasted. However Soon i will be able to use God mod and punish those who dont want to listen"

Now here comes a scary part and the most disappointed part.

The person who recorded this AUDIO CLIP gets annoyed at me giving people guns and ammo, so he gets furious and starts threatening a person named Chris Tower, who is with us in the room and playing.

The person who recorded this I think goes by the name Betrayed, he starts saying things like "I will hack you so bad you wont know what hit you. I will hack your internet, and everything here."

So how come they dont want to post the whole clip?

I have 3 WITNESSES who saw this guy threatening folks playing.

why so serious? why so serious? ACK! why so serious? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? why so serious? DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS swamp poop Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Heart
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:38:08 PM by Falconeer »

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #69 on: October 24, 2012, 06:46:01 PM

This game is going places.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The War Z  
Jump to: