Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 10:35:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Endless Space 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Space  (Read 12256 times)
Bungee
Terracotta Army

on: July 05, 2012, 10:06:21 AM

For all the GalCiv and MoO2 addicts (like me):

http://endless-space.amplitude-studios.com/

It looks/reads like a wet dream, but does it hold up? I don't have time to dive into it these days, but maybe somebody here does?

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:13:35 AM

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=22142.0

We're over there! (Steam subforum, since it's out as alpha on steam)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:24:11 AM

I thought it released yesterday.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:30:14 AM

Hm, may have. I haven't been on steam in a week waiting on a(nother) replacement drive. The progress page says gold though, so it may actually be out now!
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:40:03 AM

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=22142.0

We're over there! (Steam subforum, since it's out as alpha on steam)

Sorry, did do a (rather quick) search for it and didn't see it. Yes it is realesed/out now. Some people say it's worse gameplay-wise than CivGal- AI to blame (fixable) or generally true?

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:57:35 AM

The AI is definitely having a hard time keeping up.  The game, overall, feels bland and there isn't much of a sense of discovery when one is exploring space.  The ingredients are all there for a great 4x, and I love 4xs, but for whatever reason I just find myself getting bored while playing it.  Maybe ai improvements will help that, but sometimes it feels like the game just lacks personality.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 07:17:38 AM

I see, so the usual wait for the miracle patch. Bleh...

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:15:12 AM

I picked it up back in alpha and played the shit out of it in singleplayer. The AI is pretty weak, but the real problem is that each faction has its own "uber strategy" - once you figure it out and employ it, you become effectively unstoppable. Especially since the AI doesn't do strategic shipbuilding.

Could be fun in multiplayer though; some of my local friends are picking it up and planning some MP games.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 10:09:39 AM

Missed this on Kickstarter, but bought it today and still enjoying the heck out of it. It might become boring after I figure out the strategies, but I think I might get out my moneys worth till then.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 12:10:55 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but if it is actually more bland than GalCiv then I think it has reached a new blandness plateau previously unreachable by man, because goddamn GalCiv was bland.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 12:57:54 PM

I found it much more bland than GalCiv.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 12:02:14 PM

Mine seems to be missing an "x". I load up a new game, and every solar system seems to be pre-explored with all the planets viewable from the start. It's even kind enough to tell me where the other AI empires are located.  undecided
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 12:38:50 PM

I think amoebas start with knowing where everything is at, don't they?

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 02:32:47 PM

Yep, they do.

Game so good! The AI is a lot smarter than in beta.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 03:26:06 PM

I'm so confused  Heartbreak

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 05:37:52 PM

Anyone played this multiplayer yet? How fun is it?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 07:56:07 PM

Haven't tried multiplayer and have little interest in doing so, honestly.

I'm enjoying the game, overall, thus far. It is, however, quite bland. Not entirely sure why when I think about it, as it hits most of my wants in a 4x game.

Also, I found the AI performed much better when I turned the game speed to slow --  seems to give the AI more time to sort itself out. On the default speed setting I was settling most games in <200 turns even on the largest maps. Current game is at turn 150-ish and I've only knocked out 1 of 7 opponents (with another 2 on the ropes, albeit one of them is from another AI) and 3 AIs are actually keeping close to me in terms of score.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 07:59:10 PM

Will start MP in a week or two.  Game is good, but I guess I don't build enough ships, I keep getting zerged.  The AI is good.  
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 09:36:47 PM

QFT

Not having played this style of game before I started a game and had it pop up "this does this" pictures and gave up. A decent tutorial mode would be nice to walk me through how to get started.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 12:56:14 PM

I found it much more bland than GalCiv.

Completely disagree. This is evocative and the best put together space TBS I've played in over a decade. Fucking AAA.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 03:09:38 PM

The reviews seem to indicate that it is missionless, and just a big sandbox.  Is that true?
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 03:18:52 PM

Y...es? It's as missionless as civilization or sim city.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 07:30:46 PM

QFT

Not having played this style of game before I started a game and had it pop up "this does this" pictures and gave up. A decent tutorial mode would be nice to walk me through how to get started.

I actually meant all the confusing information in this thread about this game. I guess I'll have to give it a go...

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 08:27:19 PM

QFT

I actually meant all the confusing information in this thread about this game. I guess I'll have to give it a go...

Well it mirrored my impression of the game I must admit :D

Going to fire it up again and see if I can work out what the hell I'm supposed to do

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 09:21:21 PM

Thanks.  Confusing question, but my only other modern 4x experience with with Sins of a Solar Empire, which tried to structure slightly around missions, or stories.  I was hoping for just a big sandboxy kind of game in which to either flourish or flounder.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 10:34:42 PM

Thanks.  Confusing question, but my only other modern 4x experience with with Sins of a Solar Empire, which tried to structure slightly around missions, or stories.  I was hoping for just a big sandboxy kind of game in which to either flourish or flounder.

Did we play the same game? The Sins I played had nothing but a skirmish mode, no missions or story to speak of. Nevermind that Sins is only a 4x in the loosest sense of the word.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 06:44:39 AM

It's not a bad game, but it's not quite there yet.

Some races can settle anywhere, or you can get the tech to do so, but you take such a huge hit to unhappiness that you might as well only settle the 'good' planets.  We need a Silicoids-like race that is happier on the bad planets.  The Sowers are close, but way too hampered by happiness right now.  (Why do machines suffer unhappiness?  Were they based on Marvin?)

I don't like that once you settle one planet in a system, all the others are off-limits.  Having multiple empires in a system is great for tension and deal-making.

Conversely, it is at least interesting that there are a few planet-based buildings, but most are system-wide.  There could probably stand to be a little more variety.

Pirates need to not be so annoying early on and not completely disappear once all systems are settled.

I'd like some ground defenses so my planets aren't completely undefended and reliant upon fleets.  Blockading them is fine, but if they invade I should be able to fire back.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 04:25:37 PM

Sorry for the necro, but has anyone played this recently? It is on sale on Steam right now. Is it worth $10?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 05:51:17 PM

Depends how badly you need to play a 4x game.  Personally I think it would be worth it for a few play throughs.

I noticed it had a big patch yesterday, but I haven't checked to see what was done yet.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 07:40:23 PM

If you ask me it's pretty mundane.  There are much better games to spend you time on, though, admittedly, not a lot of them are recent 4xs.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 07:42:00 PM

Sorry for the necro, but has anyone played this recently? It is on sale on Steam right now. Is it worth $10?

I'd say no. I found the early game to be too boring and the combat to be too rock-paper-scissors.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 10:13:37 PM

I haven't played the game in ages but the reason it's on sale is the DLC pack, Disharmony. It has a new race and a combat overhaul and some other stuff too. I'm going to play tonight to see if it's any good.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 11:52:38 PM

I quite like Endless Space. It's probably my favourite of all the space based 4X games that have come out over the last few years and definitely worth a few games at that price.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 05:28:44 AM

It's got some good ideas, but the implementation is fairly bland. I've played through a few games of it, but still find Sins to be a much more captivating experience.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 05:51:31 AM

For me the fact Sins is real time makes it a completely different beast of game. As I get older I do find myself enjoying turn based games more and more...

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Endless Space  
Jump to: