Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:19:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Endless Space alpha up on Steam 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Space alpha up on Steam  (Read 9998 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

on: May 04, 2012, 07:39:21 AM

So yeah, Endless Space put their alpha on steam attached to preorders. I'm broken, and like paying people for alpha and beta code apparently.

It's really good if you like 4X space games. Needs some fleshing out of the races and tech trees, but the basic idea is it's a normal 4x (find planet, colonize planet, get more resources, etc) with hero recruitment attached (leveling dudes with skill trees who can either lead fleets or govern systems for bonuses) while you build up fleets and blow shit up.

Fleet combat is a bit odd. It's real time pretty fighting like Sword of the Stars, but you have no direct fleet control. You pick 3 cards to play that give bonuses or counter other cards during the long, medium, and short range combat phases. As you do this, the camera pans around and shows your ships and their ships blowing the shit out of each other. Surprisingly well done, whoever wrote the camera panning watched a lot of BSG in my opinion.

So yeah, alpha is alpha, but it's a pretty stable and well done alpha.

http://endless-space.amplitude-studios.com/
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:40:00 AM

Best (space) 4X since MoO2.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:56:46 AM

I saw this pop-up on Steam the other day and it looked interesting.  I'm not a fan of the Card-play Space Battle systems, though, so I'd want at least a demo before giving it a shot. 

Damnit why will nobody but the Total War series give turn-based tactics some attention.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:08:25 AM

Damnit why will nobody but the Total War series give turn-based tactics some attention.
BROUGHT TO YOU BY MONSTER ENERGY DRINK AND 5 HOUR ENERGY!

Just legalize coke, ffs.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:19:50 AM

wut?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:23:43 AM

I think he's making a joke about twitch gaming, adolescent addiction to energy drinks and their connection to the decline of turn-based gaming.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:25:08 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:52:02 PM

Next up:

Actually, good thing this thread reminded me, I was going to fire this up just to give it a try, but I got lost in deus ex. It looks more or less exactly like what I'm looking for, at least on paper. Time to figure out if it actually is, or if I should keep whipping a friend of mine to continue making the engine he's working on. why so serious?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 03:56:47 PM

Still has some annoying bugs, but really stable and functional as alphas go. I lost two fleets last night to a bug with end turn that showed up (letting the fleets auto move at end turn was getting them stuck uncontrollable and never completing a jump, which had worked fine until one turn where it bugged out and started eating fleets)

Solid game, apparently still missing 3 more races I heard. I look forward to it's completed end state quite a bit.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 10:59:00 AM

Patch time!
http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?210-News-from-the-Dev-Team&p=25730&viewfull=1#post25730
Hello Everyone,

we are currently testing our Alpha 2 (with some of you guys...)
If it is stable we will update it on Steam probably tomorrow.

Moved the save directory from ‘Documents\Endless Space\Users\[Steam Alias]\Save\’ to ‘Documents\Endless Space\Save\’.
    Added a new Fleet action: guard. The fleets with guard status will block fleet movements of all opponents in cold war or war.
    Added a drag and drop function for the items of the construction queue.
    Fixed an issue where AI fleets can initiate a fight during the “End turn” phase.
    Fixed an issue where the battle actions “Beam Surge” and “Illusion” are not properly unlocked by the corresponding Adventurer hero abilities.
    Fixed an issue preventing the apparition of heroes in the academy after 5 games without restarting the client.
    Fixed an error preventing the victory conditions to be deactivated in the settings of a new game.
    Added a warning message if you don’t have a research in queue when you click on end turn.
    Added a warning message if your bank account become negative at the next turn. After validating the end turn, if next turn's Dust should still become negative, elements will be scrapped automatically (before next turn's dust calculation). The order used to scrap elements is :

if player's tax rate is lower than 50%, force it to 50%.
    the oldest player's system (if that rule is not possible : the one with the less dust)
    >>> scrap buildings 1 by 1 except those giving immediate dust (system improvement dust 1 to 6), starting each time with the building having the highest upkeep.
    the oldest player's ship (if that rule is not possible : the one having the less MP)
    Repeat (2) system by system and (3) ship by ship until there is no more ship and all targeted buildings have been scrapped from all systems
    force player tax rate to 75%.
    Expel heroes, starting with the one having less XP, until there is no hero left
    Scrap all remaining buildings system by system (highest system improvement upkeep first)
    force player tax rate to 100%.

Added the ‘Lock End Turn’ option in the game options panel. When this option is selected, you will not be able to end your turn until all critical warnings have been dismissed or resolved.
    Modified the population growth formula.
    Modified the hero upkeep formula.
    Increased the upkeep value of the system improvements.
    Modified the negative anomalies effects in order to increase the interest of “Anomaly Reduction”.
    Modified the values of weapon mods. All accuracies have been changed.
    Modified the values of defense mods. Weapon X against Defense X has still a chance to deal damage.
    Fixed the values for the following kinetic modules: Hissho, 7 and 9.
    Decreased the effects of the trade route bonuses.
    Modified the effects of the tax rate.
    Added 2 battle cards at game start.
    Exchanges can no longer be made in cold war or war.
    Now diplomacy victory can be achieved with all galaxy sizes and all number of factions, though the more cravers there will be, the harder it will become (it can also become impossible with more than 40% cravers)
    Improved the AI which no longer tries to build system improvements that will never be of use depending on star system contents.
    Added a colored symbol to most of the icons of the tech tree. Color indications are the following: industry (orange), food (light green), exploration/colonization (dark green), dust (yellow), military/command (red), hero/academy/experience (light blue), science (dark blue), approval (pink), diplomacy/influence (light grey), strategic resources (purple), FIDS (rainbow). Shape determines an empire unlock (star), a system building (triangle) or a ship module (square).
    Added a confirmation message after a modification of resolution.
    Fixed an issue preventing to change the resolution if the new height or width is the same as the previous selection.
    Fixed an issue where AI fleets can overcome the command points limitation.
    Added the locust points value in the system view.
    Extended the size of the filename for the save files to 80 characters.
    Added a Vsync option in the Game Options Panel.
    Modified the end game screen.
    The “+1 max pop on explored moon” bonus effect of ‘Psychological Insulation’ should work properly now.
    Fixed an error occurring when an empire is eliminated and causing a crash.
    Fixed an issue where the player can’t pass a turn (without an error message).
    Modified the galaxy generation, including the following points:

shape topology is now appropriately implemented, resulting in:
        colored regions in shapes correctly followed
        better connections between regions/constellations
        more logical associations of regions/stars in constellations
    spawning was greatly improved, and will explicitly look for well-connected places
    connectivity was greatly improved
    "Star Connectivity" and "Constellation Connectivity" parameters are much better accounted for
    No anomaly should be found on starting planets, except from faction traits.

Improved the 3D viewport in the Military and Ship Design screens: you can rotate the 3D ship with holding the left click.
    Fixed an error where the user can retrofit ships for which he does not have the required strategic resources.
    Fixed an issue where the pirate ship explosion is too small.
    Added scroll bars in the random event panel.
    Improved the skyboxes in the Galaxy and System screens.
    Lava planets are rotated around a vertical axis.
    Added background elements in the Battle view (asteroids, wrecks).
    Added a zoom level slider in the Galaxy View (available in the game option panel).
    Fixed an issue where the slider values in the audio options display the wrong information.
    Added a slider for the GUI SFX in the audio options.
    Modified the trade panel to display more than 6 trade routes.
    Improved the faction selection in the new game screen.
    Fixed an error where hovering over the command point number displays the wrong tool tip.
    Fixed an error where disband a fleet or scrap a ship can be performed in the military view while the fleet is on a cosmic string.
    Fixed an issue where the slider for Ambience, Master and Music volume disappears if the user presses left-click on it.
    Fixed a display issue where Xeno-Pharmaceuticals, Artifact Analysis and Animalia exploitation unlocks are exiting the designated area.
    Fixed a display issue where all artifacts resources are exiting the designated area when the user is in planet view.
    Fixed an error where some module texts do not fit the designated space box in the ship design view.
    Fixed an error where the trade panel in the system view has no scroll bar.
    Fixed an error occurring after expelling all heroes from the academy.
    Fixed an error preventing the loading of some game saves.
    Fixed a text issue where the title of the battle cards panel in the galaxy view is wrong.
    Fixed some display errors in the diplomatic negotiations view.
    Fixed an improper tooltip when trying to assign a hero to a fleet engaged into a fight.
    Fixed a resolution issue on the moon/temple large icons.
    Fixed a text issue in the battle card successful tooltip if the AI hasn’t used a battle card.
    Fixed a text issue in the title tooltip of the advanced galaxy settings panel.
    Fixed text issues in the description of some heroes.
    Fixed text issue in the tooltip of a lava planet colonization without having the required technology.
    Fixed an issue on the left arrow used to change deal values in the diplomatic negotiations view.
    Fixed a text issue in the attack fleet action tooltip.
    Fixed text issues in the tutorials.
    Fixed an error where the 7th tip is missing in the military view tutorial.
    Fixed text issue in the opponent played battle action tooltip.
    Edit: Fixed an issue where tonnage related empire improvements are not functional.
    Edit: Fixed an issue where the food surplus is not converted into industry with 'Adaptive Industrial Systems'.

Known issues:

Pathfinding (when you want to pass through a wormhole with the warp drive technology).
    Ghost fleets.
    Invisible missiles.
    Upon reaching level 11, ships lose all their XP.
    Edit: Game difficulty (AI does not benefit from upkeep bonuses).

If you have one of the following issues:

Mousewheel not working
    Game Won't Start – Crash To Desktop
    Steam Attempts to Install Every Time
    Fleet Movement – Stuck
    End Turn - Stuck

Please refer to http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/...o-Known-Issues for a list of workarounds (thanks to Strand for the compilation).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 04:13:15 PM

https://twitter.com/spacesector/statuses/208595712194248704
Endless Space goes Beta on Monday (4th June) on Steam! And, final release date announced for "around July". Box Aug 24 http://bit.ly/KxEN9Z

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 05:28:17 PM

I really miss MoO games so I'll be interested in getting this if it pans out.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 02:42:25 AM

I'd get it now, if I were you. I think the pricing is going up to full for the beta.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 08:32:34 AM

Yeah, I bought it. This game is going to be THE 4x for the next few years. It's fun, even in alpha.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 09:41:13 AM

Ok I bought it, I hope you bastards are happy.  awesome, for real

I watched about 30min of the linked video.  LOVE that thick-ass tech tree. 
Seraphim
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 04:32:21 PM

So now that you've had some more time to play this what's the verdict, worth spending 25 quid on it?
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 10:36:37 PM

I enjoyed the general game play and the basic mechanisms are solid, but still waiting on the AI fixes to hit. Last I knew maintaining peace was near impossible because the AI will inevitably turn on you, making some of the victory conditions that don't involve conquering near impossible.
Seraphim
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 08:41:02 AM

Picked this up during the week and despite all the flaws currently in this beta build, AI in particular is making a horrendous job of it even on higher difficulties with all the bonii they get and the combat feels quite dull throwing cards out in a rock-paper-scissor fashion that doesn't really have any impact unless you're very evenly matched to begin with which is rare enough, the game does a good job with that "just one more turn" feel that keeps you playing 'til 3AM on a workday.

Expect it'll take quite a few patches post-release until the AI is competitive in single-player but even so I've already gotten my moneys worth out of it.
Raknor
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 03:53:48 PM

Is this still considered a decent game?  Love me some Civ and this looks like Civ in space.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 08:26:33 AM

I got my $20 or whatever out of it, yeah. They released a bunch of patches for it, but i haven't gone back to see how much better/worse it is. Steam says I have 30 hours played.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 11:39:21 PM

Bought it on release because it looked cool. 4x experience = nil. this was NOT the game for me. Lousy tutorial and even watching vidoes of how to play it I gave up. Sadly, I bought SotSE:R in order to learn how to play Endless Space and never played Endless Space again.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 04:35:18 PM

So - finally sat down and started playing through this a bit.

There's all these great names and crazy races and a huge unexplained tech tree. . .  and it feels like it's all just an interminable string of +minor percentages and unlocks to more +percentages. It feels like the only really important decision I've had to make is to find out what type of ships my neighbor is building and research up the military path to counter it. 

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 06:13:10 AM

I like everything about the game except the tech trees.

There's no either-ors or things that differentiate you from other races.  You can learn everything, so it becomes a matter of researching it all faster than your neighbors.  I'm not sure if that's enough to make it catch me like MoO 1 & 2, but the game feels so close.  It's just lacking something I can't quite put my finger on.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 08:00:45 AM

I like everything about the game except the tech trees.

There's no either-ors or things that differentiate you from other races.  You can learn everything, so it becomes a matter of researching it all faster than your neighbors.  I'm not sure if that's enough to make it catch me like MoO 1 & 2, but the game feels so close.  It's just lacking something I can't quite put my finger on.

I'm going to poke at it some more, but that's about my feeling as well - this game is incredibly close to being something great, but something is missing and I'm not sure what exactly.  Though I'm not entirely a fan of the card system as implemented either.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 02:09:58 PM

Pros
-Attractive game and UI
-Individual leaders modifying space and colony factors
-Cool, unique races with some individual items on the tech trees
-Finding cool worlds, researching tech and placing colonies on them

Cons
-Bland, hands-off space combat
-Individual leaders level too quickly
-Too many weird special resources
-Discovery events are lame and too frequent
-Ship design is decent, but needs...something
-Tech trees
-Just boring to play
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 11:36:26 AM

Hmm, yeah, I really enjoyed it at first........ But just sort of got bored with it.  As mentioned it has all the right things..... But just missing something.  I can't place it.  Not sure why my enjoyment dropped off from being so high so rapidly.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 11:43:37 PM

Dat combat.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Endless Space alpha up on Steam  
Jump to: