Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:52:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Things you like 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things you like  (Read 123107 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 03:32:38 PM

This game makes kill-10-rat quests fun (even more so than SWTOR, imo). That alone deserves a DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

It really makes me wish they had put in some sort of dialog.   Maybe not voice acted but old school text options would of taken it to the next level.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 04, 2012, 01:41:29 AM

Bought on a whim, only played for 30 minutes but already really impressed.

How come the voice acting is so much better than TOR given the budget disparity?
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 04, 2012, 01:47:42 AM

Hell, the quest-giving sequences themselves are pretty darn impressive, and I found myself laughing out loud at least a handful of times during 'mission briefings' in Kingsmouth just yesterday (Edgar and the RC kid especially, but the others were good too). Like I said, it makes me forget that I'm just killing 10 rats and/or backtracking a lot to quest hubs, which is... both unexpected and kinda awesome, imo.

I also like the non-standard quests like investigation or infiltration... there aren't TOO many of them so they don't get annoying, but they're nice to break up the usual routine and offer some challenge beyond 'have a good soloing build and spam 1111123'. To be fair though, they do seem to have a fair bit of wonkiness to them (security camera view angle, why do you h8 me?)

I wonder if the attention to detail holds up for the later zones, or if we're just seeing Tortage 2.0...?  why so serious?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #38 on: July 04, 2012, 02:08:58 AM

How come the voice acting is so much better than TOR given the budget disparity?

SWTOR average target audience: age 13+
TSW average target audience: age 17+

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 04, 2012, 03:09:46 AM

Hell, the quest-giving sequences themselves are pretty darn impressive, and I found myself laughing out loud at least a handful of times during 'mission briefings' in Kingsmouth just yesterday (Edgar and the RC kid especially, but the others were good too). Like I said, it makes me forget that I'm just killing 10 rats and/or backtracking a lot to quest hubs, which is... both unexpected and kinda awesome, imo.

I also like the non-standard quests like investigation or infiltration... there aren't TOO many of them so they don't get annoying, but they're nice to break up the usual routine and offer some challenge beyond 'have a good soloing build and spam 1111123'. To be fair though, they do seem to have a fair bit of wonkiness to them (security camera view angle, why do you h8 me?)

I wonder if the attention to detail holds up for the later zones, or if we're just seeing Tortage 2.0...?  why so serious?

I have not been too disappointed in Egypt. Still having a hard time finding a darkness group.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 03:32:42 AM

I don't know as I feel the important voice acting is any better.   What's better is the writing.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 07:05:16 AM

I think my favourite is still Deputy Andy but a CDC woman I met in blue mountain is pretty damn fantastic.  As is the vulcan like Orochi guy in Kingsmouth.

And yeah it's not just that the voices are good it's the writing.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 10:03:10 AM

Kirsten Geary's interactions are all priceless. Actually, any of the Illuminati interactions. From Laundromat guy to their "pet" senator.

Don't get me started on the email sysadmins.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 11:09:37 AM

Bought on a whim, only played for 30 minutes but already really impressed.

Better producer?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #44 on: July 04, 2012, 01:04:00 PM

I don't know as I feel the important voice acting is any better.   What's better is the writing.

This. I didn't like the voice acting much in beta, but it's better in release for a few reasons. In beta, many of the models were obviously placeholders, and they didn't fit the character. Madame Roget is a great example of this. In beta, she looked young. In release, they've done the faces with more detail and it really helps the character.

I still think the fuckers can't animate an elbow to save their lives (at least not one with clothes on) but the little subtle things they've changed since beta has really made me enjoy the game a lot more.

patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 10:50:24 PM

One thing they got right absolutely: ArenaNet needs to play this now and figure out why it's so damned easy to double tap and escape from the AOEs of doom here and next to impossible to do it in GW2. Whether it's the size of the warning circle, the width of the lines, the distances, or the amount of time you're given, something is working here that I feel isn't working at all in GW2.

I don't see a problem with GW2 aoe indicators in general. The only issue I have with them is how little time you have to dodge an attack and you can get slowed down by other people in the area.

I would say TSW is more generous in how far you can dodge but if more people were around I would still have the same mistiming issues I experience in Guild Wars.

I'm enjoying Secret World a lot because they give you very big hints on where you need to be with the minimap and the GPS but they allow me to figure out the finer details when I get upclose to the area without spelling anything out. It's almost like I'm playing an openworld Adventure game where my form of quick travel are the minimap border outlines and the GPS tracker instead of relying on a cutscene to get to a location.

I say almost because IMO the graphic settings at low settings (and possibly at high but I don't know) makes it difficult to read certain things with very small print like street signs. It really feels like this game was designed so I don't have to rely on the games various gamey UI tools if I just have a notepad to remind me of details but it fails because lighting is incorrect in certain areas or textures aren't fine enough making things that would be clearly visible in real life obscure in game.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 06:53:03 AM

The TSW/GW2 AE circle difference is simple: TSW gives you a countdown in the AE circle (this is the radius, here is some indicator of how long you have), in GW2 the AEs are instant, and simply display "this is the radius" on duration based effects. This means you can dodge out of a GW2 field, but you can't dodge the second the indicator appears and avoid the initial effect.

Does TSW do similar indicators in PVP for player strong attacks? I think it's just a pve thing, since it's easy to give the mobs that handicap without them flooding the forums complaining. I can see players being livid if all their powerful melee hits came with indicators of the exact range and time until impact.

edit: what I've really enjoyed is that with the somewhat soft level idea, they seem to be happy to reuse the map constantly, and have you running back and forth based on the plot of the quest you're on, and not having very specific questing hubs that you have to follow around to be level appropriate.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:56:09 AM by kildorn »
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #47 on: July 05, 2012, 07:51:56 AM

I really like the stilted language. So tempted to talk like this daily life my sole worry would be the ability to keep to it up...

Edit: Oh, and Deputy Andy... "I still miss those kittens"  swamp poop ACK! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:00:30 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 08:11:04 AM

I tried the PVP out in Fusang Province last night. I do like it, though it is REALLY easy to get multiple CC effects stacked on top of you by getting focus-fired if you are outnumbered. Multiple times I got surrounded by groups of enemies, stunned/impaired/hindered and never moved or fired off another spell again before my death seconds later. It was almost DAOC-like. Still the map is fucking huge and in 40 minutes time I got 4 AP and 1 SP.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 07:01:42 PM

Take all three missions you can get there and you'll end up pulling about four times that in about a half hour.

But yeah, the fights are sometimes pretty much gangbangs.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 06, 2012, 01:36:34 AM

Amusement park series quests. Probably the best quests I ever seen in MMO. Rich, deep, detailed  with new mechanics just for that quest. Pure gold
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 06, 2012, 02:00:25 AM

Amusement park series quests. Probably the best quests I ever seen in MMO. Rich, deep, detailed  with new mechanics just for that quest. Pure gold

I totally agree... it was very well done. It gave me goosebumps. I got my monies worth right there.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 06, 2012, 01:35:21 PM

I like the amount of details put in. - If there is a piece of paper with the text, its is an actual piece of paper, original artwork with all the little details that piece of paper could contain, not some generic text box all in same font throughout the game.  -those little touches add a lot to atmosphere
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 06, 2012, 04:48:44 PM

I'm surprised about all the positive buzz this game is getting. I barely know anything about it and had written it off after seeing a small sample of beta animations. sad
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #54 on: July 06, 2012, 11:00:17 PM

Mobs fight each other for territory.

This is awesome in and of itself. The only thing that would make it cooler would be faction reps a-la SWG, where if you killed enough Nightsisters and Spider clan, the Singing Mountain Sisters would back you up in random mob fights.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #55 on: July 06, 2012, 11:27:13 PM

Just completed the first major quest arc.  Holy crap this game.  So awesome plotwise.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: July 07, 2012, 07:02:57 AM

This is awesome in and of itself. The only thing that would make it cooler would be faction reps a-la SWG, where if you killed enough Nightsisters and Spider clan, the Singing Mountain Sisters would back you up in random mob fights.
If you got Nightsister up, then SMC, they'd both back you up.  (Or vice versa.)  Had I not gotten screwed on the unlock, my Jedi was going to hang around Dathomir all the time to troll the Bounty Hunters.

Cry

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #57 on: July 07, 2012, 07:28:53 AM

Dath was my primary hideout after I unlocked for pretty much that reason.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 07, 2012, 11:36:16 AM

"Into Darkness" (first faction quest) was pretty darn epic. I played Dragon, so I felt like Garret dodging guards and their headlamps, memorizing guard routes, etc. Of course it would've been a bit easier if they gave us a water arrow (the flare gun doesn't count).

It's also one of those quests that takes place in the same area (has a shared story), but all 3 factions play different roles in... no spoilers, but I recommend doing it as Dragon and Illuminati at least.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 08, 2012, 08:24:31 PM

Total Eclipse: 
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 09, 2012, 09:04:15 PM

The feel and the skills building. I thougth the former would get tired and the latter be too annoying in this age of ding gratz. But the self-consistency makes it work and the sheer amount of options and theorycrafting... makes me feel like I'm deck building again. Guess that's why they call 'em "decks" :)

As others have mentioned too: the voice over and writing are just fantastic. I don't even care that my character has no voice.

Finally, my character. Somehow I managed to create a bruised looking red-haired version of Neo when he first enters the matrix: the constant look of being just one step behind everyone and not really sure just what the heck is going on. That really makes it feel complete, considering how they dump you into the world.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 10, 2012, 06:54:21 AM

As others have mentioned too: the voice over and writing are just fantastic. I don't even care that my character has no voice.
I like how they actually incorporate it into the game.  Your character has a stand-offish expression.  People offer you their hand and you ignore it, but they react like you just did.  The Dragon intro... DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #62 on: July 10, 2012, 02:36:36 PM

At one point, someone refers to you as "my silent friend."  why so serious?

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 10, 2012, 05:00:47 PM

Hehe yea. For some reason, it works for me here whereas not in DA:O. Head scratch
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #64 on: July 10, 2012, 05:11:56 PM

They make the player character not voice acted, and it works, whereas I could care less about the shit my character said in SWTOR. Go figure. Less is more!

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 10, 2012, 07:26:36 PM

Hehe yea. For some reason, it works for me here whereas not in DA:O. Head scratch
In DA:O you were "saying" things, but basically standing around with a blank expression.  Here you're specifically not saying anything.  The writing also both plays it straight and gives a sly wink about it.  I don't know how it's handled later on, but up to this point it's quite cleverly handled.

Now in TOR I could listen to my character speak all day, but the female Imperial classes all had accents which I loved, especially the Warrior.  (Republic classes weren't bad either, but not British.)

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: July 12, 2012, 04:05:41 PM

Thanks a good point. Instead of trying to smooth over cost-cutting, they work it into the mystique.

Yet-another-example of writing/voice acting: When you discover the Priest:

awesome, for real
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 12, 2012, 07:31:22 PM

Nice roller coaster. It was honestly spooky.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 12, 2012, 09:13:52 PM

Just you wait until you find the sausage makers.....

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 13, 2012, 07:09:15 AM

Sausage makers were awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Things you like  
Jump to: